or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1178  

post #17656 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared94 View Post

Best sound quality on noise canceling headphones? I want something with solid base, but I want excellent noise cancellation/isolation because I'm gonna be using them for studying in college.

If you've got the dough ($299), get the Bose QuietComfort 15. I just got them myself. They have the number one, indisputable best noise cancellation of any headphone. You can certainly feel the bass as well. If you're an audiophile, sound quality won't impress you too much in a quiet room. But in any noisy environment and these cans truly shine. Most noise is cut out. I say "most" because with NC on and no music playing, you'll still be able to hear conversations as the NC mics are designed to adjust their sound to frequencies they hear. They block out ACs and plane rumbles well since those sounds are consistent. Conversations are not, obviously. Turn up the music however, conversations can no longer be heard.
Still, the QC15s are the best NC headphones you can buy. They ate extremely comfortable and light, and come with a nice case, two cords (one with Apple controls and mic), and an airline adapter.
Edited by Empire1 - 8/8/12 at 9:58pm
post #17657 of 29490

Alright, I got a more narrow request. 

 

What is the best portable, battery powered DAC/amp combo for about $100? I'll be driving some Ultrasone Pro 750's. 

 

Thanks all. 

post #17658 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post

Nobody? Anybody?..... Pleeeeez help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster2010 View Post

Don't think many have heard that headphone. I will say that they likely do have bright highs as other Beyer cans I've tried have been a bit bright. However, there are many other great cans within a similar price range that many people like, so it's hard to give any advice for this beyer which hasn't gotten much attention. If you want bright, you could look into Grado. They are open and on-ear which can turn some people off. I think I saw someone selling a used Grado SR60i (low end SR series) on the forums for $45 if you want to give them a try. You could also look into the Koss ProDJ100 for $50, or the Superlux 668b/Samson SR850 also around $50-$60

Thanx for the recommendations. I want to try the grados. I guess bottom line is if i wanna know what those beyer's sound like ill have to order them. I guess someone has to do it
post #17659 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0r3andud3 View Post

Alright, I got a more narrow request. 

 

What is the best portable, battery powered DAC/amp combo for about $100? I'll be driving some Ultrasone Pro 750's. 

 

Thanks all. 

The Fiio E7 is the primary one that comes to mind in terms of true portability, as in connect it to an ipod and go anywhere. That will run you about $70 with another $10 or so for the plug to connect it to your ipod. 

 

The Fiio E10 is a far superior DAC/amp. However, though it's classified as portable, it requires a usb connection to your computer. It can be had for around $70.

 

There is the Nuforce U dac2 which is similar in purpose to the e10. It has a great name but a review by the NwAvGuy rather turned me off from if, though it generally has a good name.

 

Speaking of the NwAvGuy, there's the Odac at $150-ish it has a great name around here. I don't know quite as much about it as the others so i encourage you to do some more research on it if youre willing to stetch.

 

$100 isn't a lot to work with, though if you can realllllly stretch i recommend the fiio e17. it has the same go anywhere portability of the e7 with the better sq of the the e10 though it is more than double the price of the e7.

 

hope that helps good luck

post #17660 of 29490

Im looking at changing/upgrading my Sennheiser HD555's, purely for the reason they have stuffed my headphone jack on my current audio device (i use my HTC Sensation) due to part negligence and the fact they have the adaptor from 1/8th (i think thats the right size?) making the attachment very bulky and now i have to firmly hold it in place if i want it to stay properly connected, pretty unacceptable!

 

requirements : Bluetooth, comfortable, good on bass

 

Budgetwise i havent really decided, it will depend on the options. all of the bluetooth headphones i could find for sale here (I live in new zealand, pretty limited range i imagine) were smaller drivers, and for me the bass response is quite important. the majority of music i listen to is drum'n'bass or trance music.I am prepared to pay decent money if the hardware is right

 

unless there is a way to turn these 555's into a bluetooth device sadly im going to have to look at replacing them for out and about audio, which is a shame as i love them.

 

I'm willing to amp them if needed, however im guessing there arent any/many bluetooth headphone amps

post #17661 of 29490

Amazon sells the E17 for about $130. Seems like a bargain. 

 

Would you say that the iBasso D-Zero are outclassed by the E17? I really don't like the design of the E17, as it seems too much like carrying around a second media player. biggrin.gif

 

Thanks! 

post #17662 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperZ View Post

Im looking at changing/upgrading my Sennheiser HD555's, purely for the reason they have stuffed my headphone jack on my current audio device (i use my HTC Sensation) due to part negligence and the fact they have the adaptor from 1/8th (i think thats the right size?) making the attachment very bulky and now i have to firmly hold it in place if i want it to stay properly connected, pretty unacceptable!

 

requirements : Bluetooth, comfortable, good on bass

 

Budgetwise i havent really decided, it will depend on the options. all of the bluetooth headphones i could find for sale here (I live in new zealand, pretty limited range i imagine) were smaller drivers, and for me the bass response is quite important. the majority of music i listen to is drum'n'bass or trance music.I am prepared to pay decent money if the hardware is right

 

unless there is a way to turn these 555's into a bluetooth device sadly im going to have to look at replacing them for out and about audio, which is a shame as i love them.

 

I'm willing to amp them if needed, however im guessing there arent any/many bluetooth headphone amps

 

Here's a way you might be able to do it, though it may be a little trickier with your Sennheisers. The sound quality unfortunately will be degraded though so it probably isn't the best idea. I'm also kinda confused about what happened to the headphone plug. Did you break the plug, or is it something with the 1/8" adapter?

post #17663 of 29490

Hello. I've been using the HD598s for about 7 months now, and I feel like getting something that sounds like the complete opposite of it (in some sense), for under 300 USD. Any recommendations?

post #17664 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by National View Post

Hello. I've been using the HD598s for about 7 months now, and I feel like getting something that sounds like the complete opposite of it (in some sense), for under 300 USD. Any recommendations?


You'll have to provide more specifics concerning what "complete opposite" is to you.  My first thought was "bad"--however I seriously doubt that is what you're after.  Also--do you use an amp?

post #17665 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by National View Post

Hello. I've been using the HD598s for about 7 months now, and I feel like getting something that sounds like the complete opposite of it (in some sense), for under 300 USD. Any recommendations?

More details about what you feel that the HD598 doesn't do that makes you want to try. I'm assuming you will want something with a lot of bass and treble (more of a "V" shaped sound) since the 598s have more focus on the mids. You could look at the Beyerdynamic DT770 or DT990. Also something like the Ultrasone HFI580 would be completely different sounding.

post #17666 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster2010 View Post

More details about what you feel that the HD598 doesn't do that makes you want to try. I'm assuming you will want something with a lot of bass and treble (more of a "V" shaped sound) since the 598s have more focus on the mids. You could look at the Beyerdynamic DT770 or DT990. Also something like the Ultrasone HFI580 would be completely different sounding.


Yes--depending on what is meant, the answer could be a basshead can, something like the Ultrasone Pro 750 or a Grado--all just for starters.

post #17667 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0r3andud3 View Post

I really don't like the design of the E17

? Well too bad beats dont make a dac. You'd be set!
post #17668 of 29490
Analytical, closed-back, circumaural, preferrably in the $50 range. My highest is $80 shipped.

Thanks in advanced!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
post #17669 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderTJ View Post

Analytical, closed-back, circumaural, preferrably in the $50 range. My highest is $80 shipped.
Thanks in advanced!
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2


Sony MDR-V6?  (It is currently less that $70 with free shipping at Amazon.)

post #17670 of 29490

Hi everyone - I'm basically looking for my first set of headphones. I recently moved to a new apartment, and now I'm not the only person who can hear my speakers - not that they were any kind of hifi anyway. Thus, I've been reading of these forums a while, but I don't seem to be able to reach any conclusion of what I should buy.

 

I'm looking for headphones and something which feeds them with signal from my desktop computer (so amp and/or DAC I think). I don't have any special isolation requirements. There is two parrots close by my computer and they can get a bit noisy at times, but I think I can tolerate that even with open headphones. Portability is not huge concern either.

 

I am using linux, so as far as DAC goes, I'd like to have something that does not have massive compatibility issues - I've understood USB DACs work rather well regardless of OS. Internal soundcards are hit-or-miss, I guess. Currently I mostly listen electronic/rock/metal, but I don't want too specialized headphones as I believe proper set of cans would spark my interest to different kind of music as well.

 

So uh, these are the headphones I've been looking at:

 

Sennheiser HD 558 (~130€ / $160 + postages at amazon.de, if they even ship to Finland - didn't check yet)

I listened to HD 518 and HD 598 briefly at Sennheiser stand. I think they both were okay, I couldn't really tell from the demo music. 518s had a lot more bass though. There's apparently not that much of difference between 558 and 598. The design does not particulary appeal to me, but I guess it's the sound that matters.

 

Philips Citiscape Uptown (~70€ / $86 + postages at amazon.de)

Well, these would be rather cheap - I'm a bit afraid of the silly cable though. How would these compare to Sennheisers? Apparently this is a rather new model, not very many reviews around.

 

And some DAC/amp combos:

 

Firestone Fubar III MKII (155€ / $190 + postages at http://www.firestone-audio.eu/shop/products/allproductslisted/fubar3-mkii.php)

What's this thing? I found discussion mostly about the basic Fubar III, not MKII. I wonder how much of improvement the MKII is. This would be kind of cool because it has lots of inputs and outputs, making it quite versatile and I could use the DAC of these for my speakers too. But I wonder how the sound quality is?

 

ASUS Xonar Essence STX (around 175€ / $215)

This apparently has decent linux drivers. I would prefer something on my desktop though - manual volume controller is nice. But how is the sound of this compared to other DAC/amp combos at this price level?

 

I have been looking at some others too - FiiO E9 with decent DAC, for example, would probably be okay. Does anyone have some insight what would be the best value around ~300€ / $370 price mark for the whole set?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum