or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1168  

post #17506 of 29490

Bixby, thank you also for your input.  I agree with you that KG is steering me in the right direction, but, damn, I REALLY like the look of the AKGs.   I'll just have to get over it, I suppose - looks aren't really much once you get down to brass tacks.

 

So, I seem to be zeroing in on the Brainwavz HM5.  I like the detachable cables, extra earpads (and they look lush!), and overall basic design.   Anyone have any input about long(er) term build quality?  And, possibly, how they'd stack up against my old JVC HARX900s?  I assume much better.

 

If I get the HM5s, it looks like I can drive them through my on-board audio on my PC, so I can hold off finding a good old receiver for the time being, until i find the right one, right?

post #17507 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael109 View Post

Having a bit of trouble deciding what I should go with..

 

Details:

 

Music:

Melodic Death Metal (Dark Tranquility, In Flames, Opeth)

EBM (Assemblage 23, VNV Nation, Neuroticfish) (Not Dubstep)

Goth? (The Birthday Massacre, Moonspell, Paradise Lost)

 

Open or Semi-Open (I need to be able to hear people talking to me from adjacent cubes, approx 6ft)

 

Will be plugged into a GrubDAC coming from a computer tower. Will not be powered by an amp initially but will be later on down the road (~8-12 months or so)

 

Looking to spend $100-$200. I could go a bit higher ~$50 but would like to keep it within the prior range.. I'd be willing to spend the extra money if it really gets me a noticeably better product.

 

 

I've been looking around and the AKG 240 MK II, M50, and SR225i come up quite a bit for headphones that work well with metal. But I'm looking for something that'll do well with EBM too.

 

I'd prefer the bass to be punchy and not drone. I'm pleased with the bass level on my HD202's, I just don't want it to overpower anything.

 

I'd like to stay away from anything too "Bright." I like the balance of my HD202's but wish the midrange wasn't so muddy.

 

Comfort is a big issue as well. The drivers from my HD202's rest directly on my ears and gives me a burning sensation after an hour or so.

 

 

I think that's everything, Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help out!

 

Bump

 

 

Leaning towards the AKG 240's since the Grado's seem to be hit or miss with comfort.. Anything else I should be looking at?

post #17508 of 29490

Hey guys, looking at getting a pair of headphones for <$200. I'm looking to use them for a mix of music and gaming, with music being slightly more prioritised. I listen to a range of music, mainly whatever is in the top 10 plus a lot of rock, metal and dub-step. It's also important that there is some nice bass ;). With gaming I'd like to be able to use them to pinpoint footsteps and gunshot directions.

 

I will be listening to music and gaming on a late 2011 Macbook Pro and have a few question regarding this. Will the quality of the headphones be greatly hindered by the sound card or lack there of in this machine? for the surround sound I need for gaming will I need an external device (mixamp?)? or will it all be available through the Macbook/headphones?

 

I'm looking at getting the dt-770's as they seem to tick the above boxes but I am looking for any suggestions or approvals :).

Any help is much appreciated.

 

Thanks.

post #17509 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


The 840's are clearer, faster, more detailed and more balanced.  The 100 has very forward upper mids.

The 840's street price is also 2x or more that of the 100.

Hey there, I'm looking at the Shures as well. By what you've described, the 840s aren't analytical though, right? I would want things to sound fun, but not overwhelmingly so.
Edited by kineticwave - 8/6/12 at 11:06am
post #17510 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekkk View Post

Hey guys, looking at getting a pair of headphones for <$200. I'm looking to use them for a mix of music and gaming, with music being slightly more prioritised. I listen to a range of music, mainly whatever is in the top 10 plus a lot of rock, metal and dub-step. It's also important that there is some nice bass ;). With gaming I'd like to be able to use them to pinpoint footsteps and gunshot directions.

 

I will be listening to music and gaming on a late 2011 Macbook Pro and have a few question regarding this. Will the quality of the headphones be greatly hindered by the sound card or lack there of in this machine? for the surround sound I need for gaming will I need an external device (mixamp?)? or will it all be available through the Macbook/headphones?

 

I'm looking at getting the dt-770's as they seem to tick the above boxes but I am looking for any suggestions or approvals :).

Any help is much appreciated.

 

Thanks.


Check out the gaming guide linked on the opening post of this thread.  It includes a group of cans that are excellent for both music and gaming.

post #17511 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by kineticwave View Post


Hey there, I'm looking at the Shures as well. By what you've described, the 840s aren't analytical though, right? I would want things to sound fun, but not overwhelmingly so.


I would describe the 840 as accurate, except for a mid-bass hump (generally appearing in "fun" oriented cans) and somewhat recessed highs.  Here's a short description from Tyll's Wall of Fame:

 

"With a warm and comfortable sound, good isolation, and tank-like build quality, the Shure SRH840 is a top performer at this price point. Semi-pros, musicians, and audio enthusiasts looking for a headphone that will satisfy in moderately loud environments will love the SRH840.  Recordists should be aware of the slightly warm tilt to the sound of the SRH840 so as not to overly compensate with eq. Treble response is likewise slightly emphatic, giving these cans a slightly 'happy,' U-shaped listening experience.  While these headphone apear rather large and bulky, they are quite comfortable and appropriate for long listening sessions, though they can get a bit warm."

 

Link:

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

post #17512 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael109 View Post

 

Bump

 

 

Leaning towards the AKG 240's since the Grado's seem to be hit or miss with comfort.. Anything else I should be looking at?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael109 View Post

Having a bit of trouble deciding what I should go with..

 

Details:

 

Music:

Melodic Death Metal (Dark Tranquility, In Flames, Opeth)

EBM (Assemblage 23, VNV Nation, Neuroticfish) (Not Dubstep)

Goth? (The Birthday Massacre, Moonspell, Paradise Lost)

 

Open or Semi-Open (I need to be able to hear people talking to me from adjacent cubes, approx 6ft)

 

Will be plugged into a GrubDAC coming from a computer tower. Will not be powered by an amp initially but will be later on down the road (~8-12 months or so)

 

Looking to spend $100-$200. I could go a bit higher ~$50 but would like to keep it within the prior range.. I'd be willing to spend the extra money if it really gets me a noticeably better product.

 

 

I've been looking around and the AKG 240 MK II, M50, and SR225i come up quite a bit for headphones that work well with metal. But I'm looking for something that'll do well with EBM too.

 

I'd prefer the bass to be punchy and not drone. I'm pleased with the bass level on my HD202's, I just don't want it to overpower anything.

 

I'd like to stay away from anything too "Bright." I like the balance of my HD202's but wish the midrange wasn't so muddy.

 

Comfort is a big issue as well. The drivers from my HD202's rest directly on my ears and gives me a burning sensation after an hour or so.

 

 

I think that's everything, Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help out!

How is the grubdac going to power headphones?

post #17513 of 29490

Sorry.. Really new to this.

 

I was thinking the DAC had some sort of amplifier to run low impedance headphones built in, looks like that's not the case..

 

Probably just make things easy for myself and get something like the e17 since it's a DAC/AMP.

 

I've been searching and seeing the DT990's pop up quite a bit for EBM/Industrial and Metal as well. The e17 looks like it'd be able to power the 250ohm version ones which are cheaper than the 32ohm version.. but this is breaking the budget quite a bit.

post #17514 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael109 View Post

Sorry.. Really new to this.

 

I was thinking the DAC had some sort of amplifier to run low impedance headphones built in, looks like that's not the case..

 

Probably just make things easy for myself and get something like the e17 since it's a DAC/AMP.

 

I've been searching and seeing the DT990's pop up quite a bit for EBM/Industrial and Metal as well. The e17 looks like it'd be able to power the 250ohm version ones which are cheaper than the 32ohm version.. but this is breaking the budget quite a bit.

I'd keep the grubdac and get a JDS labs cmoy, from what I have read of the e17 it is not a very good amp. 

post #17515 of 29490

Hi everyone.

 

I have been looking for an upgrade to my Sennheiser HD495s for years, but just can't find the right pair of cans. Their bass is fantastic, powerful but not boomy, and overall the sound is smooth but not dull or unexciting.

 

I can hear the limitations of them though. My AT-W5000s go deeper and higher, with more details and a really natural sound. I tried Senny HD650s, but they are a bit too laid back and the bass is very much lacking. My fantasy headphone is basically the 495s but with more detail and clarity, a bigger sound stage, but that same awesome bass and non-fatiguing sound.

 

I also tried DT770s and own Shure IEMs and Yuin PK1s. Oh, and Stax SR-60s. I mainly use an AT-HA5000 amp, but also have a Kasuga KA-10SH (tube amp) and a HEADFIVE, and wouldn't mind looking at other amps if there was something particularly suitable.

 

Thanks guys...

post #17516 of 29490

Good Headphones Under £150

 

I'm looking for a pair of headphones under £150 ($235). I am currently looking at Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros or the DT 990 Pros. I am thinking of getting the 80 Ohm version, will I need an amp? If so it would need to be portable for use while on the move and under the £50 mark ($80). I will be listening to Rap, Hip Hop, Alternative, vocals and a small amount of Pop.

I need some advice on which headphones and possibly amps to buy. Any advice is much appreciated. 

Thanks.

post #17517 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post

Hi everyone.

 

I have been looking for an upgrade to my Sennheiser HD495s for years, but just can't find the right pair of cans. Their bass is fantastic, powerful but not boomy, and overall the sound is smooth but not dull or unexciting.

 

I can hear the limitations of them though. My AT-W5000s go deeper and higher, with more details and a really natural sound. I tried Senny HD650s, but they are a bit too laid back and the bass is very much lacking. My fantasy headphone is basically the 495s but with more detail and clarity, a bigger sound stage, but that same awesome bass and non-fatiguing sound.

 

I also tried DT770s and own Shure IEMs and Yuin PK1s. Oh, and Stax SR-60s. I mainly use an AT-HA5000 amp, but also have a Kasuga KA-10SH (tube amp) and a HEADFIVE, and wouldn't mind looking at other amps if there was something particularly suitable.

 

Thanks guys...


What's your budget?  Are open cans OK?

post #17518 of 29490

Budget... Well, if cans are good I will save up and get them. I think the W5000s were the most expensive I ever bought. Say £500/$1000 tops, but feel free to suggest anything.

 

Open is fine, comfort is import to me but noise pollution isn't :-)

 

Thanks.

post #17519 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post

Budget... Well, if cans are good I will save up and get them. I think the W5000s were the most expensive I ever bought. Say £500/$1000 tops, but feel free to suggest anything.

 

Open is fine, comfort is import to me but noise pollution isn't :-)

 

Thanks.


Sounds as though you should check out some planars like the HiFiMan HE-500 ($700) or Audeze LCD-2 ($1,000).

post #17520 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bixby View Post

I'd keep the grubdac and get a JDS labs cmoy, from what I have read of the e17 it is not a very good amp. 

 

Thanks,

 

I looked into a Cmoy to begin with since it was another DIY option, but the Amp Shootout thread seemed to suggest that the E11/E17 were decent amps as well.

 

I'll keep looking into options since I'm still on the fence with the headphones.. Anyone have suggestions for $100-$250 for headphones for EBM/Melodic Metal?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum