or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1146  

post #17176 of 29490

Hello guys

I need help finding the necessarily stuff to drive the HD650 good

I mean apm/dac combo and sound card and stuff

I want to buy max $200

Its not necessarily to be all of them (amp and dac and sound card) just the necessarily stuff to hear the power of the HD650

post #17177 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post

 

The odds are that you do.  However, you can plug them into your computer and see if they work OK (odds are better with a Mac). 

 

If you don't know how they are supposed to sound, test them properly amped first--at a store or through a friend if you don't have something at home that can amp them.

Great. Thanks for the info. 

post #17178 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster2010 View Post

If you can find a pair of Sennheiser HD555, 558, or 595 within your range these are the most comfortable cans I've used. There is currently a pair of Used - Like New HD558 on Amazon for $102 shipped if you are ok with getting something that isn't new

You just made my day!

 

The Sennheiser HD558 seem like the way to go. Thanks so much!

post #17179 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenlongs View Post


Here's a popular option:
http://www.jdslabs.com/store.php

 

Thanks, I was just checking them out.. Do you have any experience with them?? I know they have a great reputation but do you feel like they can power a 250ohm headphone better than the e11??

 

Thanks again

post #17180 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3xus6 View Post

You just made my day!

 

The Sennheiser HD558 seem like the way to go. Thanks so much!

Great! I hope you like them. I've tried the 555, 595 and 598. Hopefully I will get a chance to hear the 558 eventually.

post #17181 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletProve View Post

Hello guys

I need help finding the necessarily stuff to drive the HD650 good

I mean apm/dac combo and sound card and stuff

I want to buy max $200

Its not necessarily to be all of them (amp and dac and sound card) just the necessarily stuff to hear the power of the HD650

You may need a bit more scratch to do the 650s justice.  Maybe the dragonfly if it has some users that can corroborate driving the 650s well. 

post #17182 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonFox View Post

 

Thanks, I was just checking them out.. Do you have any experience with them?? I know they have a great reputation but do you feel like they can power a 250ohm headphone better than the e11??

 

Thanks again

The designer of the JDS Labs c421 uses Beyer dt 880 250s.  I felt my 600 ohm 880s could benefit more from a tube desktop.

post #17183 of 29490

About to pull the trigger on a pair of Ultrasone HFI 780s. Someone convince me.

post #17184 of 29490
Hey everyone, I was hoping for a little advice from the knowledgeable folks here on headfi. I'm looking to make a step up and purchase a higher quality headphone. After some reading, it sounds like these contenders should be on my short list:

Akg q701/2
Audio technica athm50
Beyer dynamic dt 880/990 250 ohm
Senn hd598

My current set up is an iPod classic into a Headstage arrow 12he amp. My current phones are ksc75's, Re-0's and Grado sr60's. I listen to a bit of everything, mostly indie stuff, but also like punk, jazz and even some hip hop.

I like lots of detailed highs and bass, and since I have the grado's, was thinking the athm50's would be a nice complement for when I want a bit more isolation. But, the beyers and akg's are very compelling. Any advice on what my next purchase should be would be greatly appreciated as there is no place around here (Cleveland, Ohio) to audition higher end phones. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve
Edited by desmoface - 7/30/12 at 7:36pm
post #17185 of 29490

sr80i or sr225i? Bass isn't really a concern. I have the HFI-580 for that. I want something with a larger soundstage that will also complement strings and vocals. Are there any other suggestions for anything like that around $200? And please don't suggest the dt990 pro. I had a pair for about a week before the right driver gave up on me lol. I wasn't a fan of the coiled cable either. Thanks smily_headphones1.gif

post #17186 of 29490
Quote:
Hey everyone, I was hoping for a little advice from the knowledgeable folks here on headfi. I'm looking to make a step up and purchase a higher quality headphone. After some reading, it sounds like these contenders should be on my short list:

Akg q701/2
Audio technica athm50
Beyer dynamic dt 880/990 250 ohm
Senn hd598

My current set up is an iPod classic into a Headstage arrow 12he amp. My only phone are ksc75's and Grady sr60's. I listen to a bit of everything, mostly indie stuff, but also like punk, jazz and even some hip hop.

I like lots of detailed highs and bass, and since I have the grades, was thinking the athm50's would be a nice complement for when I want a bit more isolation. But, the buyers and akg's are very compelling. Any advice on what would be a good addition would be highly appreciated as there is no place around here (Cleveland, Ohio) to audition higher end phones. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

 

Well, for one I'd put the Ultrasone HFI-580 above the ath-m50 on your list (overall better sound quality, present bass, better detail retrieval, and tonality). I've been looking in to the Q701 a bit myself. Many people say the HD598 have less bass than the q701 which is strange since the q701 have a bass-light balanced sound. I haven't heard the q701 for myself, but i've heard good things about them. I've heard even better things about the dt880, which costs about $100 more at this time. I actually stood at B&H listening to them for a good 20 minutes and all I can say is that they're great, and although more expensive probably worth it. 


Edited by PanamaHat - 7/30/12 at 7:42pm
post #17187 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by tissot View Post

Looking for headphones in the ~250€ or below range.

 

I like that V shaped curve, meaning sparkly highs and strong bass. Had short stint on Sennheiser HD598 that looking back was probably silly it being open design, but got good offer on it. HD598 to me had no bass impact at all. 

 

Listen mainly funk, groove, acid jazz, Daft Punk, R&B and so on. 

 

Open headphones tend to not have a lot of bass impact. That's one of the trade-offs with open headphones (which are superior in other ways). Sounds like you would be quite happy with the Beyerdynamic DT 770, it has the V shaped curve and good bass impact.


Edited by devhen - 7/30/12 at 7:44pm
post #17188 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaHat View Post

sr80i or sr225i? Bass isn't really a concern. I have the HFI-580 for that. I want something with a larger soundstage that will also complement strings and vocals. Are there any other suggestions for anything like that around $200? And please don't suggest the dt990 pro. I had a pair for about a week before the right driver gave up on me lol. I wasn't a fan of the coiled cable either. Thanks smily_headphones1.gif


If you're looking for sound stage in the Grado SR line, you're looking in the wrong place.  The 325is has the biggest sound stage in the line, but not to the extent that if compromises the Signature SR Grado "wall of sound".  The 225i is an excellent can for what it does, but it doesn't do sound stage very well.

post #17189 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanOfIsrael View Post

About to pull the trigger on a pair of Ultrasone HFI 780s. Someone convince me.

 

Which way?

post #17190 of 29490

KG Jag, 

I've also heard the sr325i are quite shrill sounding in comparison to the already bright sr225i. Definitely not what i want

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum