or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1080  

post #16186 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicPenguin View Post

 

Awesome, thanks for the quick response. The HD600 is quite a bit cheaper than the HE-400, so I think I'll stick with that unless there's a HUGE difference in sound (which I doubt given diminishing returns). I'm curious as to the signature Grado sound, but it's probably not a great idea to start with a high-end one.

 

Thanks again!

 

Agreed. From what I've read, there's not a big difference between the different SR/MS series models. I'd get the $100 Alessandro MS1 and if you particularly love them then possibly look into the higher end models down the road.

 

But for your genres and needs I would choose the HD600 or HE400 over any Grados, mostly because of the Grado's lack of a wide soundstage.

post #16187 of 29490

Hey guys.

 

I have a specific need for headphones, and would like to ask your personal opinions about the best headphone for my purpose:

 

I have big ears too, I have come to accept this. That being said, I think headphones that don't put pressure on the rims of my ears would be the best. On ear headphones tend to bother me quicker than most.

 

I listen to the majority of my music in the library. I usually study in a quiet area of the library, and for many many hours a day. So I need headphones that aren't going to leak a lot of noise. Additionally, I need a headphone that I can leave on for a long time. The benefit of a headphone that could also block some ambient noise could be a plus too.

I listen to all types of music: Dominantly Rock, but also instrumentals, Classical, Rap. That being said, I will still listen to all other types of music too.

I would prefer to play music out of my iphone/computer without the use of an amp, but I could be swayed to get one if the entire purchase could be under my budget

I want to spend around $300 for some headphones. 

 

Please just tell me what you think about the matter, or what other information could help your decision. I have searched and searched and haven't found a good thread/post that speaks of my criteria.

Many thanks!!


Edited by wightchris - 7/8/12 at 9:14pm
post #16188 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmage View Post

How would the Q701s compare when properly amped with a nice desktop amp? I'm really just afraid of the Sennys sounding dark, which I did not like with my Hifimans. I'm more a fan of bright cans.

I'm a HD558 owner who has been thinking of upgrading to the AKG Q701, I have an Essence STX and Yamaha receiver to drive the Q701s

Dark might be a word one could use to describe my HD558 sound or maybe frosty?, I would not describe them as bright.

There are several threads on Head-Fi where all they talk about is trying to find the right headphone amplifier for the Q701.

Do a search for threads using "amping the Q701".

With a good amplifier, the Q701s seem to be preferred over the HD598s.

There are several stories on Head-fi were someone did not like the sound of their new Q701 until they got a good amplifier for them.

post #16189 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by wightchris View Post

Hey guys.

 

I have a specific need for headphones, and would like to ask your personal opinions about the best headphone for my purpose:

 

I have big ears too, I have come to accept this. That being said, I think headphones that don't put pressure on the rims of my ears would be the best. On ear headphones tend to bother me quicker than most.

 

I listen to the majority of my music in the library. I usually study in a quiet area of the library, and for many many hours a day. So I need headphones that aren't going to leak a lot of noise. Additionally, I need a headphone that I can leave on for a long time. The benefit of a headphone that could also block some ambient noise could be a plus too.

I listen to all types of music: Dominantly Rock, but also instrumentals, Classical, Rap. That being said, I will still listen to all other types of music too.

I would prefer to play music out of my iphone/computer without the use of an amp, but I could be swayed to get one if the entire purchase could be under my budget

I want to spend around $300 for some headphones. 

 

Please just tell me what you think about the matter, or what other information could help your decision. I have searched and searched and haven't found a good thread/post that speaks of my criteria.

Many thanks!!

 

No amp and closed cans that are $200 to $300 just don't go well together.

 

If you don't want to amp, save yourself some money and get the Sony MDR 7510, Sony MDR-V900HD, Ultrasone HFI-780, Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, Shure SRH 840 or KRK KNS 8400.

 

If you amp, you can get the Shure SRH 940, AKG K 550, Ultrasone Pro 750 or Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350.

post #16190 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post

 

No amp and closed cans that are $200 to $300 just don't go well together.

 

If you don't want to amp, save yourself some money and get the Sony MDR 7510, Sony MDR-V900HD, Ultrasone HFI-780, Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, Shure SRH 840 or KRK KNS 8400.

 

If you amp, you can get the Shure SRH 940, AKG K 550, Ultrasone Pro 750 or Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350.

 

I'd say the AKG K550, though not my favorite, does just fine unamped.

post #16191 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

There are several stories on Head-fi were someone did not like the sound of their new Q701 until they got a good amplifier for them.

 

I got an Asgard to run them and still pretty much hated them... I've never tried the Q701 w/ a good tube amp though; maybe that is the way to go.

post #16192 of 29490
Ok I need some new headphones $200 to $320 open-back and """"Durable""""
What I currently have 
 
Grado SR125 / Alessandro MS1i: Problem is I'm getting sick of recabling them every year and having to pop open the cans and clean the hair out of the drivers every 2 weeks
 
* Note I look like Gimli. "not an exaggeration"
 
Brainwavz HM5: I like the detachable cable but the plastic wishbone that holds the right can just broke do to the stress of my bigass head over the course of a year and I don't really like closed cans. Im still going to fix them.
 
Sennheiser PC 350:  Have you ever attempted to recable these and the sound is meh plus now I have a Blue Yeti mic.
 
Music: IDM, aggrotech, industrial, metal, rock, blues, southern rock, ambient, neo-classical, metro, classical, jazz, punk, ska, goth, glitch, and the list goes on. 
 
Gaming: ARMA 2, BF3, BF2, Cod4, CS you get the idea i like shooting things though I do play more Company of Heroes the shooters.
 
I do play at lans but still prefer open-back they seem easier on my ears and I like being able to hear what's going on around me both in and out of game.
 
What i was looking at
AKG Q 701 AKG K702 : I like the cable
Audio-Technica ATH-AD900
Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 ohm
 
Feel free to add to the list .
 
The headphones will be at my desk 95% of the time but will also be used most of the day. I also won't be the only one using this PC.
post #16193 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED-404 View Post

Ok I need some new headphones $200 to $320 open-back and """"Durable""""
What I currently have 
 
Grado SR125 / Alessandro MS1i: Problem is I'm getting sick of recabling them every year and having to pop open the cans and clean the hair out of the drivers every 2 weeks
 
* Note I look like Gimli. "not an exaggeration"
 
Brainwavz HM5: I like the detachable cable but the plastic wishbone that holds the right can just broke do to the stress of my bigass head over the course of a year and I don't really like closed cans. Im still going to fix them.
 
Sennheiser PC 350:  Have you ever attempted to recable these and the sound is meh plus now I have a Blue Yeti mic.
 
Music: IDM, aggrotech, industrial, metal, rock, blues, southern rock, ambient, neo-classical, metro, classical, jazz, punk, ska, goth, glitch, and the list goes on. 
 
Gaming: ARMA 2, BF3, BF2, Cod4, CS you get the idea i like shooting things though I do play more Company of Heroes the shooters.
 
I do play at lans but still prefer open-back they seem easier on my ears and I like being able to hear what's going on around me both in and out of game.
 
What i was looking at
AKG Q 701 AKG K702 : I like the cable
Audio-Technica ATH-AD900
Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 ohm
 
Feel free to add to the list .
 
The headphones will be at my desk 95% of the time but will also be used most of the day. I also won't be the only one using this PC.

Well the Sennheiser HD600 are in your price range, are certainly durable, and have easily replaceable cables and parts. But don't get them if you are a basshead.
post #16194 of 29490

Well so far I can only find the HD600 one place for under $399 but you're right in that it fits all my other requirements.


Edited by RED-404 - 7/9/12 at 2:49am
post #16195 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED-404 View Post

Well so far I can only find the HD600 one place for under $399 but you're right in that it fits all my other requirements.


razordogdeals2008 on ebay will typically accept an offer of $300 on the 600s. Use the Make An Offer feature. They are brand new w/ warranty and razordogdeals is an authorized dealer.
post #16196 of 29490

Need advice by someone who owns the "Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250ohm" headphones.

 

I am getting an ASUS Xonar Essence STX PCI-E sound card tomorrow (has it's own amp). Want to know if that set of Beyerdynamic headphones will be good for what I want.

 

What I want:

 

A headphone that is awesome for listening to hip hop/rap music, playing games such as; BF3, TF2, CS:S etc, and has good bass which doesn't overpower or make everything else sound bad.

 

Have a price range of <$300

 

Thanks.

post #16197 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbz View Post

Need advice by someone who owns the "Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250ohm" headphones.

 

I am getting an ASUS Xonar Essence STX PCI-E sound card tomorrow (has it's own amp). Want to know if that set of Beyerdynamic headphones will be good for what I want.

 

What I want:

 

A headphone that is awesome for listening to hip hop/rap music, playing games such as; BF3, TF2, CS:S etc, and has good bass which doesn't overpower or make everything else sound bad.

 

Have a price range of <$300

 

Thanks.

 

I can tell you that the 770s will be great for those genres and those games and I imagine the Xonar STX will be able to power them adequately but you may want to get some thoughts from someone who actually owns that sound card and the 770s. There should be at least a few people around here who do.

post #16198 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

 

I can tell you that the 770s will be great for those genres and those games and I imagine the Xonar STX will be able to power them adequately but you may want to get some thoughts from someone who actually owns that sound card and the 770s. There should be at least a few people around here who do.

 

What do you think of the headphones with your current setup?

 

Does the bass sound great? Have you listened to those genres of music with those headphones? What about played those types of games with those headphones?

 

And yes, I will do some checking with the amp now before I go and buy it.

 

Thanks :)

post #16199 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbz View Post

 

What do you think of the headphones with your current setup?

 

Does the bass sound great? Have you listened to those genres of music with those headphones? What about played those types of games with those headphones?

 

And yes, I will do some checking with the amp now before I go and buy it.

 

Thanks :)

 

Yep, I've listened to those genres with my 770s quite a bit. I don't have a ton of rap but I do have hip-hop and a lot of bass-heavy electronic music. The 770s are awesome with these genres. None of my other headphones have quite enough bass for these genres but the 770s do and they sound very, very good. They are perfect for these genres IMO. As strong as the bass is, it definitely doesn't overpower the other frequencies. Mids and highs remain clear and accurate and quite enjoyable even while copious amounts of bass are being produced.

 

I've played a lot of both BF3 and CS:S with these headphones and they are wonderful. Some people think having a lot of bass in a gaming headphone is a bad thing but I completely disagree. The explosions in BF3 for example, thanks to the bass, are earth-shattering. Its awesome. You can hear everything around you and the "3D" placement of enemies/explosions/etc is very good.

 

The 770s are my goto headphones for r&b/hip-hop/electronic music and for gaming. They are my top recommendation for these genres and for games. My Sennheiser HD600s have a slightly wider soundstage which I thought would make them better for gaming but I find my 770s to be more engaging and overall more enjoyable with video games, partly due to the strong bass as I mentioned and partly due to their more immersive soundstage.


Edited by devhen - 7/9/12 at 5:03am
post #16200 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

 

Yep, I've listened to those genres with my 770s quite a bit. I don't have a ton of rap but I do have hip-hop and a lot of bass-heavy electronic music. The 770s are awesome with these genres. None of my other headphones have quite enough bass for these genres but the 770s do and they sound very, very good. They are perfect for these genres IMO. As strong as the bass is, it definitely doesn't overpower the other frequencies. Mids and highs remain clear and accurate and quite enjoyable even while copious amounts of bass are being produced.

 

I've played a lot of both BF3 and CS:S with these headphones and they are wonderful. Some people think having a lot of bass in a gaming headphone is a bad thing but I completely disagree. The explosions in BF3 for example, thanks to the bass, are earth-shattering. Its awesome. You can hear everything around you and the "3D" placement of enemies/explosions/etc is very good.

 

The 770s are my goto headphones for r&b/hip-hop/electronic music and for gaming. They are my top recommendation for these genres and for games. My Sennheiser HD600s have a slightly wider soundstage which I thought would make them better for gaming but I find my 770s to be more engaging and overall more enjoyable with video games, partly due to the strong bass as I mentioned and partly due to their more immersive soundstage.


Awesome as, thanks man.

 

Will be definitely getting these very soon then.

 

Thanks :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum