or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1016  

post #15226 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantleygtboy View Post

Would you guys recommend the Vmoda M80s more or the Audiotechinca ath-m50 more? Price is not an issue, and I'm looking for the better sounding of the two. I also would prefer a more portable headphone, so Which one is more portable? Sound does come first though. Alos, I am confused about the difference between open and closed cans. Can somebody enlighten me about the difference?

V-MODA M-80s are smaller with a shorter cable and come with a carrying case. Much more portable that the ATH-M50. Also, I think most here agree that the M-80 is better as it's more balanced with good mids and nice punchy bass. The ATH-M50 is more V-shaped in its sound and the mids are slightly recessed.

Closed cans mean that the driver is sealed up within the earcup and so sound doesn't come in or leak out to others around you. This results in closed cans having a smaller soundstage(in your head sound).

 

Open cans have the drivers housed in a way where they are exposed to outside noise and can leak sound out quite a bit. Not good for public listening where you can disturb other people or need isolation, like on a bus or airplane. Open cans have a wide, spacious soundstage.

 

Edit:

Oh, forgot to mention that the M-80s are semi-open, so they have a larger than normal soundstage compared to most "closed" cans. Because of this semi-open nature, they don't isolate as well as fully-closed cans, but I've noticed barely any leakage unless listening at dangerously high volumes.


Edited by SpiderNhan - 6/5/12 at 6:58pm
post #15227 of 29490
I have searched tirelessly and found nobody who can directly compare the koss ur40 and ur55. My next question: how does the ath-ad700 compare to grado sr60? Specifically, I want the one with the best instrument separation.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
post #15228 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantleygtboy View Post

Would you guys recommend the Vmoda M80s more or the Audiotechinca ath-m50 more? Price is not an issue, and I'm looking for the better sounding of the two. I also would prefer a more portable headphone, so Which one is more portable? Sound does come first though. Alos, I am confused about the difference between open and closed cans. Can somebody enlighten me about the difference?

 

That's a tough call, as their sound signatures are pretty distinctly different. You can't really go wrong with either one though, as I think that each can be EQ'd adequately as necessary if you want to balance things to your liking. However, with no EQ, the M80 has a fuller upper bass and midrange, while the M50 has a more recessed midrange, but more sparkly highs and deeper lows. Personally, I slightly prefer the M50 for most music, but that is just me. 

 

The M50s fold up and go into a bag. Stock, they have an un-detachable cord, but apparently you can get them detachable. The M80 doesn't fold up; it just collapses into itself, and you have to detach the cable to fit it into the case. Though the M50 feels pretty rugged (definitely better than average), the M80 really shines there, and once it is in its case, it really gives you confidence that it can be thrown around with impunity. The cord for the M80 works really well for portable use, as there isn't any excess cable to deal with. Though personally I prefer the sound of the M50, if my primary use was portability, I would lean strongly toward the M80.

 

Isolation: Hard to say which has more overall isolation, because they each block out/let in different frequencies. The M50 lets in more conversation frequencies, like people talking around you, but the M80 seems to let in slightly more low frequencies, like the rumble of a bus. The ports on the M80 let in wind noise. 

post #15229 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbkmog View Post

Coming from ATH-M50 to my current Denon D2000, I'm really pleased by the sound quality of D2000. But now I'm intrigued to explore more in the hi-fi world. I feel D2000 already has provided such good quality, where can I go from there? I know there are more expensive cans out there, but I just want to know which ones can be an obvious improvement in the sound quality department? 

 

I'd say go the ortho way i.e. Hifiman HE-400's. Based on what I've read, short of sheer bass quantity, some acoustic instruments and possibly treble detail they do everything better than the D5000's. I own the D5000's and will probably buy HE-400's next.

post #15230 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelgtr View Post

My turn to ask :)

 

budget; $100 or less

 

music source:  ipod gen 5.5, many mp3's not best quality 128-320kps

 

Occasional home recording mixing on Sonar, mostly country

 

music likes: mostly classic country, some smooth jazz (dianna krall, larry carlton)  Occasional disco/funk for fun.  NO Trance/electronic, etc (I'm 63:)

 

I'm not a bass head, prefer clean punch. I'm very sensitive to harsh highs.

 

size:  I have big ears, sorry born that way :(  3 1/4 x 1 1/2 inches)  Don't make fun of me, had plenty of that as a kid !!

 

I originally was thinking ATHM40FS

 

Now looking at Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506?

 

Again, prefer accuracy but leaning toward the warm punchy side without the boom.

 

 

 

Thanks guys!

 

bob


Anyone?  Need to decide for  Father's Day!

 

bob

post #15231 of 29490

Hello everyone, i posted here a few months ago and i got alot of recommendations for the Samson SR850 which i didn't end up buying because my budget was halved.

 

I ended up caving in and buying the panasonic HTF-600-S which are good in their own way, i like the wide soundstage and the punchy bass but the bass manages to eat the mids at times.

 

Budget:Not sure yet, probably $50-$80

Isolation: Don't really care since i'll be using it for PC.

Use: 40% gaming, 40% music, 20% movies.

Music: It really varies, but Soundtracks from video games and movies, Orchestral, Prog rock, Grunge, Liquid DnB and Rap beats/Rap.

Ebay?: If it's from a reliable seller, yes.

Previous experiences: Various cheap headsets, HA-RX900, Panasonic HTF-600-S

 

Thanks in advance!


Edited by Silverspar - 6/6/12 at 6:58am
post #15232 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelgtr View Post

My turn to ask :)

 

budget; $100 or less

 

music source:  ipod gen 5.5, many mp3's not best quality 128-320kps

 

Occasional home recording mixing on Sonar, mostly country

 

music likes: mostly classic country, some smooth jazz (dianna krall, larry carlton)  Occasional disco/funk for fun.  NO Trance/electronic, etc (I'm 63:)

 

I'm not a bass head, prefer clean punch. I'm very sensitive to harsh highs.

 

size:  I have big ears, sorry born that way :(  3 1/4 x 1 1/2 inches)  Don't make fun of me, had plenty of that as a kid !!

 

I originally was thinking ATHM40FS

 

Now looking at Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506?

 

Again, prefer accuracy but leaning toward the warm punchy side without the boom.

 

 

 

Thanks guys!

 

bob

I have recorded and mixed with the 7506, so I think they are worth considering. I also regularly use the M40fs to mix live PA, but I prefer the 7506. I would also personally consider the Senn HD280. However, with your ears, you may be limited to what you can try successfully in person.

post #15233 of 29490

Hi, I'm also looking for some new portable cans and want to join this discussion. Here are some details:

 

 

Music genres: 80% Metal, 20% Hard-Rock
Portable: just for portable use, yes
Price range: max 300€ 
Earpads: velours or similar, no leather or pleather
Amped: no amp should be required
Closed/Open: closed with at least medium isolation
Headphone preference: intimate (smaller soundstage), !PRAT!, strong bass, non sibilance-highs - for example i like the sonic signature of the akg k518!
 
Keep 'em coming :-)
post #15234 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonkulator View Post

I have recorded and mixed with the 7506, so I think they are worth considering. I also regularly use the M40fs to mix live PA, but I prefer the 7506. I would also personally consider the Senn HD280. However, with your ears, you may be limited to what you can try successfully in person.


Thanks,

 

How about the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S?

 

Have you heard the Sony V6's?  Are they the same as the 7506?

 

 

thx

post #15235 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelgtr View Post


Thanks,

 

How about the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S?

 

Have you heard the Sony V6's?  Are they the same as the 7506?

 

 

thx

I've done some mixing on headphones and owned the panasonic. They would be a poor choice because of the bloated bass and odd mids/highs. They are fun but not suited for mixing. I have used sony's in the past and liked them. I currently have the cad mh310 and have had decent results. I wouldn't rely on them alone but you can get close. For that matter I wouldn't trust any single headphone for mixing. The more the merrier. I have read that there are slight differences between v6 and 7506 but both are good. Watch for fakes.

post #15236 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelgtr View Post


Thanks,

 

How about the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S?

 

Have you heard the Sony V6's?  Are they the same as the 7506?

 

 

thx

It has been a long time since I heard the V6, but at least by reputation they should be seriously considered. I haven't heard the Panasonics.

post #15237 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelgtr View Post


Anyone?  Need to decide for  Father's Day!

 

bob

 

Those aren't bad choices.  Also look at (newer) Sony MDR-7510, KRK KNS-6400, Creative Aurvana Live!, AKG K240 Studio.

post #15238 of 29490

Hi, Im looking for some advice on new headphones. I want a closed back design with good isolation and low leakage, must be at least decently comfortable, somewhat portable, able to use unamped or with a little Fiio. I listen to most electronic genres, metal, rap, some rock.

Not a big fan of treble. My budget is less than/around $300. I was thinking Ultrasone Pro 750 but wondering if there is something better.

 

Thanks in advance

post #15239 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3Lock View Post

Hi, Im looking for some advice on new headphones. I want a closed back design with good isolation and low leakage, must be at least decently comfortable, somewhat portable, able to use unamped or with a little Fiio. I listen to most electronic genres, metal, rap, some rock.

Not a big fan of treble. My budget is less than/around $300. I was thinking Ultrasone Pro 750 but wondering if there is something better.

 

Thanks in advance

 

If you're not a treble fan, then the 750 is not for you.  What sound signature (beyond recessed highs--which knocks out all the "V" shaped EQ cans) do you want?

post #15240 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverspar View Post

Hello everyone, i posted here a few months ago and i got alot of recommendations for the Samson SR850 which i didn't end up buying because my budget was halved.

 

I ended up caving in and buying the panasonic HTF-600-S which are good in their own way, i like the wide soundstage and the punchy bass but the bass manages to eat the mids at times.

 

Budget:Not sure yet, probably $50-$80

Isolation: Don't really care since i'll be using it for PC.

Use: 40% gaming, 40% music, 20% movies.

Music: It really varies, but Soundtracks from video games and movies, Orchestral, Prog rock, Grunge, Liquid DnB and Rap beats/Rap.

Ebay?: If it's from a reliable seller, yes.

Previous experiences: Various cheap headsets, HA-RX900, Panasonic HTF-600-S

 

Thanks in advance!


 You should expect to get the same recommendations as before.  In addition to the 850, consider the AKG K240 Studio, KRK KNS-6400, Superlux HD668B.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum