or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 1004  

post #15046 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0liver View Post


I might consider getting the AKG K550 with an amp if it's worth the extra money - would there be a significant difference between the quality of an amped AKG K550 and, let's say, a grado/alessandro, Ultrasone HiFi 780 or KRK KNS-6400? If so, how much would you recommend spending on an amp?

 

The Grados/Alessandros are open cans with a sound signature very different from the K 550 (or open Q 701 for that matter).  If you go amped the comparison cans move from those listed above to the better Ultrasone Pro 750 and KRK KNS 8400.

 

I only have a desktop amp and don't have my main music in the form of computer files.  My HiFiMan EF2A will probably work well for you, as it has a good built in dac and usb connection.  However, what you probably need is combination destop and portable amp/dac combination.  Fiio (and probably others) offer such a product in a fairly affordable range.

post #15047 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by DxBecks View Post

Hello Head-Fi,

 

I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones in the $100 to $150 price range. Currently I own a pair of JVC HA-RX700's and while they have performed exceptionally well for their price over the past year I feel it is time to move onto something with far higher sound quality. I currently attend a University and live on-campus where I do not have access to a nice sound system, so I use my headphones on a daily basis for playing video games, listening to music, etc. Thus far I am torn between the Audio Technica ATH-M50's and the Ultrasone HFI-780's. I've heard both good and bad things about both headphones, first off comfort is a key element for me, and I've heard that the HFI-780's can be horribly uncomfortable for extended periods of time compared to the ATH-M50's. On the other side I've heard that the bass, frequency response, lows, mids, and high's were better on the HFI-780's. Some people have also told me that the HFI-780's have a shrilling or metallic treble that is not pleasant to the ear and makes listening to metal or rock music on them underwhelming. As far as the HFI-780's S-Logic+ goes, I am interested. I've heard everything from it makes the soundstage far more immersive and expansive to it doesn't work and makes the music lack focus or clarity, especially in the vocal department. 

As far as music goes I listen to almost everything from hip-hop and rap, metal, rock, jazz, blues, pop, and classical. I listen to my music on vinyl records (which I sadly am without when living on campus, though I would use my headphones for listening to them late a night when home), compact-discs, or wave files. Both headphones can be found on Amazon for almost the same price and I'm split between them.

Any suggestions? 

 

I'd go with the Shure SRH 840, which are in the same price range.  I assume that you want a can that is easy to drive.  The M50 has a "v" shaped EQ, which means recessed mids.  That is not good for jazz, classical and blues, even if you generally prefer this EQ signature.  The HiFi 780 are not the most comfortable for extended listening sessions.  If you like the sound of the 780, spend a  little more and get the Pro 750 with the understanding that they have to be amped or they lose their bass.

 

The Shure SRH 840 are neutral-ish, comfortable and come with a removable cord & an extra set of ear pads.  They will work unamped with an iPhone 4, provided you don't need them to be very loud.
 

post #15048 of 29490

I have AD700's that I bought a year back for FPS gaming. Now I would like to move on to something that covers music a bit better.

 

I like a lot of different music. I quite enjoy electronic and DnB'ish music, but acoustic music and good vocals can bring me to tears.

At the same time, I need the phones to do well at gaming which means that I need good soundstage and a somewhat bright phone.

Luckily, I'm not a bass head, so I'm aiming for a neutral to bright headphone that will at least provide some better bass than the AD700's (which have none) which is also where I find headphones with good soundstage.

 

I'm considering these 3:

 

ATH-AD900 which, from what I've read, fixes a lot of the flaws in the AD700's, but still is more of the same and quite bass anemic.

AKG Q701 which should provide a much needed bass boost while still giving a good soundstage (they are essentially K702's).

Senn HD 650 which, I believe, is much more relaxed than the others, but still neutral and providing good soundstage. Also, ugly.

 

FPS gaming is important, but I'm prepared to sacrifice some of the AD700's soundstage for better sound quality. Think 50/50 music and gaming. I have a big head (my AD700's fit perfectly), but I believe all of these would fit me. Personally, I lean towards the Q701, but I don't know for sure.

 

BTW, AD900's are the cheapest, then Q701, then HD 650.


Edited by Bi0HaZard - 5/28/12 at 3:02pm
post #15049 of 29490

Have you considered DT990 pro.

post #15050 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

Have you considered DT990 pro.

Well, I'm not quite sure about the mids and the soundstage. Supposedly has noticeably worse mids and soundstage than the Q701. I'll look closer at Beyerdynamic's lineup tomorrow.

post #15051 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi0HaZard View Post

I have AD700's that I bought a year back for FPS gaming. Now I would like to move on to something that covers music a bit better.

 

I like a lot of different music. I quite enjoy electronic and DnB'ish music, but acoustic music and good vocals can bring me to tears.

At the same time, I need the phones to do well at gaming which means that I need good soundstage and a somewhat bright phone.

Luckily, I'm not a bass head, so I'm aiming for a neutral to bright headphone that will at least provide some better bass than the AD700's (which have none) which is also where I find headphones with good soundstage.

 

I'm considering these 3:

 

ATH-AD900 which, from what I've read, fixes a lot of the flaws in the AD700's, but still is more of the same and quite bass anemic.

AKG Q701 which should provide a much needed bass boost while still giving a good soundstage (they are essentially K702's).

Senn HD 650 which, I believe, is much more relaxed than the others, but still neutral and providing good soundstage. Also, ugly.

 

FPS gaming is important, but I'm prepared to sacrifice some of the AD700's soundstage for better sound quality. Think 50/50 music and gaming. I have a big head (my AD700's fit perfectly), but I believe all of these would fit me. Personally, I lean towards the Q701, but I don't know for sure.

 

BTW, AD900's are the cheapest, then Q701, then HD 650.

 

Have you seen:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-5-9-2012-he-4-and-dt990-pro-added   ?

post #15052 of 29490

Does anyone know where I can pick up the beyerdynamic dt770 32ohm online, in america, and is a legit store that's not ebay. Thanks.

post #15053 of 29490

Noob Looking for a new pair of cans. I like to listen to just about everything from country to dubstep. I was just wondering if the Sennheiser HD439 would be a good pair. im not looking for massive bass just some good all around listening. Also what is the sound leakage with these headphones? if you have any other suggestions my price range is sub $100 because im not going to have them on 24/7 just outside the house and car. 

 

Thanks

post #15054 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootstrap View Post

Noob Looking for a new pair of cans. I like to listen to just about everything from country to dubstep. I was just wondering if the Sennheiser HD439 would be a good pair. im not looking for massive bass just some good all around listening. Also what is the sound leakage with these headphones? if you have any other suggestions my price range is sub $100 because im not going to have them on 24/7 just outside the house and car. 

 

Thanks

I like the koss dj pro100. They really are my favorite closed pair of headphones under 100 for every genre. I'm sorry I'm  unfamilar with the senn hd439.

post #15055 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerona View Post

 

Ooh didn't know they have a removable coiled version.  I should order that lol. The straight cable is rediculously long.  If you PM them a message on ebay beforehand and ask if you can get the coiled version instead I'm sure they can accommodate you.  

Thanks again Rerona!! One last thing, which headphones is better for metal and dubstep, the m50's or the pioneer hdj2000? anybody?

post #15056 of 29490

i would personally say the m50, not just by the sound quality, but by build quality as well. although i don't own a pair of hdj2000, my dj friend of mine keeps on raging everytime a plastic part breaks from his pioneer headphones. he owned a pair of hdj 500, 1000, and a 2000.

 

i sold my pair of m50 after a good year of use ( and abuse ) with all the letters, plastic, and pads intact. no damage/fading at all..


Edited by Dyaems - 5/28/12 at 6:16pm
post #15057 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlobHobNob View Post

Does anyone know where I can pick up the beyerdynamic dt770 32ohm online, in america, and is a legit store that's not ebay. Thanks.


Check out ProAudioSmart. They are a good company (who happens to have an ebay store, too). You can normally get a pretty competitive price from them.

post #15058 of 29490

Ok so i own a pair of m50, es7, and shures srh240. All are great headphones but recently monster had a sale(I know how horrible it is but at this price i couldn't resist) Basically got Beats studios for $75 and also some solos for $50. Thought i'll try them out and see even though i kinda knew what to expect. Wow, right out the solos HD were disgustingly horrible.. got rid of those and sold them at double the price i got them for. Studios were somewhat better sounding than the solos HD but still very muffled, not clear at all. The reason why i got the beats were because of the bass, i wanted a pair of headphones that was super bassy but yet still clear and looks nice wearing them in public. What are some cans that you suggest that are around the $150-200 price range but has a lot of bass but is still clear and stylish? I really like the M50s but could use more bass than that and i also don't think the m50s are that nice to wear in public or traveling. In the end, comfortable, small, portable, stylish, bass and nice all around sounds, closed cans if possible.


Edited by uEih - 5/28/12 at 6:31pm
post #15059 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by uEih View Post

Ok so i own a pair of m50, es7, and shures srh240. All are great headphones but recently monster had a sale(I know how horrible it is but at his price i couldn't resist) Basically got Beats studios for $75 and also some solos for $50. Thought i'll try them out and see even though i kinda knew what to expect. Wow, right out the solos HD were disgustingly horrible.. got rid of those and sold them at double the price i got them for. Studios were somewhat better sounding than the solos HD but still very muffled, not clear at all. The reason why i got the beats were because of the bass, i wanted a pair of headphones that was super bassy but yet still clear and looks nice wearing them in public. What are some cans that you suggest that are around the $150-200 price range but has a lot of bass but is still clear and stylish? I really like the M50s but could use more bass than that and i also don't think the m50s are that nice to wear in public or traveling. In the end, comfortable, small, portable, stylish, bass and nice all around sounds, closed cans if possible.

Super easy, v moda lp2.

post #15060 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlobHobNob View Post

Super easy, v moda lp2.

I second that.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum