or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 996  

post #14926 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1026 View Post

Thanks. Will they be a nice upgrade from my ES7's?


not really, IMO. they share the same sound signature. and im not sure if that would actually be an upgrade since the ES7 has almost the price range as the m50. how about a used ESW9 in the FS section hahaha..

 

not really sure if there will be an upgrade with your ES7 in terms of clarity. or you can side-grade to a different headphone with different sound signature (less bass, more details and clarity) at your price range. not sure if there is one though.

 

you can try selling your ES7 to someone you know, add a few more, and get yourself a nice pair of used (or new) DT1350 or T50p. http://www.head-fi.org/t/610344/beyerdynamic-dt-1350-and-t50p-priced-to-sell

 

you can have your ES7 recabled though, if you feel like doing it and see if it will fit you. i have a friend that has a modded ES7 and i can tell that it really sounds different from the stock, less bass but accurate, forward mids, clear highs.

 

not sure what dampening scheme did he use though...


Edited by Dyaems - 5/24/12 at 4:45pm
post #14927 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyaems View Post


not really, IMO. they share the same sound signature. and im not sure if that would actually be an upgrade since the ES7 has almost the price range as the m50. how about a used ESW9 in the FS section hahaha..

 

not really sure if there will be an upgrade with your ES7 in terms of clarity. or you can side-grade to a different headphone with different sound signature (less bass, more details and clarity) at your price range. not sure if there is one though.

 

you can try selling your ES7 to someone you know, add a few more, and get yourself a nice pair of used (or new) DT1350 or T50p. http://www.head-fi.org/t/610344/beyerdynamic-dt-1350-and-t50p-priced-to-sell

 

you can have your ES7 recabled though, if you feel like doing it and see if it will fit you. i have a friend that has a modded ES7 and i can tell that it really sounds different from the stock, less bass but accurate, forward mids, clear highs.

 

not sure what dampening scheme did he use though...

That seems like a pretty good price for T50p's and it's in my price range. If it would be a nice upgrade from what I have now, I might buy those.


Edited by Michael1026 - 5/24/12 at 4:55pm
post #14928 of 29490
Aren't the es7's on ear though? I can't imagine them having nearly the isolation as the m50's
post #14929 of 29490

I'm looking advice for a on/over the ear headphone. Nothing big or extreme.

 

I'm looking for something up to $50 with good sound quality. Color preference in order: red/blue/white, red/white, blue/white. Nothing colorful like Skullcandy SGHEBZ-80 Paul Frank Julius Hesh.

 

I don't mind if it's neckband or over the head.

 

2 more questions:

What company have the best qualityXprice ratio?

 

I currently have interest in Skullcandy Uprock and Cassette. The price difference is big, so what's the sound quality between both?

post #14930 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleudeciel16 View Post

Aren't the es7's on ear though? I can't imagine them having nearly the isolation as the m50's

They don't really have very good isolation, but luckily, I don't listen to music that loud.

post #14931 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleudeciel16 View Post


Ath-m50's seem like they'd fit your needs. They're closed, very isolated, in that price range, have decent bass, and can fold up (and come with a soft case) for portability, and they don't need an amp to be driven

I have to dissagree, the m50's have recessed mids which is a definite no for rock music. He'll probably want something with very engaging mid. The shure srh 840 would be a great choice do the foward mids, tight bass, and clear highs these seem best but if he could scavenge a few more dollars he could pick up the sennheiser hd25 or the beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80 ohm.

post #14932 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderNhan View Post

 

Well, Val Kolton, CEO of V-MODA, is a DJ and all V-MODA headphones are geared more towards electronic music than most other genres. I'm not familiar with the artists you mentioned, but dubstep and dance music, like Black Eyed Peas, sound fantastic on my V-80s. The bass isn't overwhelming like V-MODA's LP/LP2 line but it's there and thumps quite nicely, however, I don't think the M-80 would be classified as a "basshead" headphone, since it's V-MODAs audiophile model and the focus was more on musical clarity with a bit of a bass boost and slight downplay on the treble; the former, because it just makes music a bit more fun to listen to, and the latter, to help protect and increase the longevity of our hearing. Even with these tweaks, the M-80 is VERY sensitive to EQ'ing it won't be too hard to play with the sound to your liking. Lastly, just look at the white ones...

Kinda' wish I had waited. Love my V-80s though. They don't look too bad either. (Custom Shields)

 

Thanks! Everything I read about the sound of the M80s makes me feel like they'll suit me very well, and sensitivity to EQing is a very big plus given that I do plan to EQ wherever possible to make the sound more to my liking. I'm not after a 'basshead' sound, just a good clean sounding bass presence, which it sounds like the M80s will provide.

 

I'm still a little worried about the comfort though, if anyone can reassure me that they can be worn comfortably despite a relatively large head and ears that would be helpful, as I've had a lot of comfort issues in the past.

post #14933 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmustang View Post

I'm looking advice for a on/over the ear headphone. Nothing big or extreme.

 

I'm looking for something up to $50 with good sound quality. Color preference in order: red/blue/white, red/white, blue/white. Nothing colorful like Skullcandy SGHEBZ-80 Paul Frank Julius Hesh.

 

I don't mind if it's neckband or over the head.

 

2 more questions:

What company have the best qualityXprice ratio?

 

I currently have interest in Skullcandy Uprock and Cassette. The price difference is big, so what's the sound quality between both?


hard to recommend if color is included in the criteria... but maybe panasonic RP htx7? its possibly better than skullcandies and it comes with different "colors"

post #14934 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1026 View Post

I'm going to try this again, except with a different price range. I often listen to punk rock and acoustic songs. I'll listen to Three Days Grace, Green Day, Third Eye Blind, Relient K, Maroon 5, and Rise Against. I use them in school, so alright isolation, portable, on/over ear, closed back. I have a 130-170$ price range. I'm currently using Audio Technica ATH Es7's. I'm looking for an upgrade. I don't really want really bass heavy headphones, more clarity, but I do want some bass. Could someone suggest me some headphones? Thanks.

 

From your post, it appears that you would be best served a quality can that is close to neutral.  That means you should stay away from basshead cans and/or "V' shaped EQ like you find in the M50.

 

Based on US street prices, you should concentrate on cans like the Shure SRH 840, KRK KNS 8400 or 6400, Ultrasone HiFi 780, Sony MDR 7506 or 7510.

post #14935 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoa View Post

 I have a big head and big ears, so I was thinking I would go supra-aural, and the best option seems to be the V-Moda M80s, as the headband seems to be very flexible. Does anybody have any thoughts as to whether I might prefer a different set of supra-aurals that might be more suitable to big head & ears in the $150-$250 range, or are the M80s the right way to go? 

I have a larger than average head, average ears, and the M80s have to be maxed out to fit me.

post #14936 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmustang View Post

I'm looking advice for a on/over the ear headphone. Nothing big or extreme.

 

I'm looking for something up to $50 with good sound quality. Color preference in order: red/blue/white, red/white, blue/white. Nothing colorful like Skullcandy SGHEBZ-80 Paul Frank Julius Hesh.

 

I don't mind if it's neckband or over the head.

 

2 more questions:

What company have the best qualityXprice ratio?

 

I currently have interest in Skullcandy Uprock and Cassette. The price difference is big, so what's the sound quality between both?

 

If color is an important consideration for you, the AKG K 518 LE Limited Edition Folding Headphones - Red (on black) can be had through Amazon for $43.00 shipped.

 

The Superlux HD 681 Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones is another decent can that is red on black.

 

There are many companies that offer quality cans in your price range, but many of them also offer some not-so-good ones as well.  Superlux and Samson are as safe as it gets.

 

Buying cans based on color will generally not lead you to quality music reproduction.

post #14937 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyaems View Post


hard to recommend if color is included in the criteria... but maybe panasonic RP htx7? its possibly better than skullcandies and it comes with different "colors"

This Panasonic looks good in reproduction quality, I found two other there that look good enough.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post

 

If color is an important consideration for you, the AKG K 518 LE Limited Edition Folding Headphones - Red (on black) can be had through Amazon for $43.00 shipped.

 

The Superlux HD 681 Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones is another decent can that is red on black.

 

There are many companies that offer quality cans in your price range, but many of them also offer some not-so-good ones as well.  Superlux and Samson are as safe as it gets.

 

Buying cans based on color will generally not lead you to quality music reproduction.

That's why I'm asking, I want a cool headphone but with good quality sound reproduction, cause I want it to last some years.

 

I'm searching some companies sites and creating a list. I'm using the Head Gear page to get the names.

post #14938 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoa View Post

 

Thanks! Everything I read about the sound of the M80s makes me feel like they'll suit me very well, and sensitivity to EQing is a very big plus given that I do plan to EQ wherever possible to make the sound more to my liking. I'm not after a 'basshead' sound, just a good clean sounding bass presence, which it sounds like the M80s will provide.

 

I'm still a little worried about the comfort though, if anyone can reassure me that they can be worn comfortably despite a relatively large head and ears that would be helpful, as I've had a lot of comfort issues in the past.

I think I have a medium/large heard, at least when it comes to the V-80s. I can only wear them comfortably with the metal arms pulled all the down on both sides. My ears are medium sized. When I first got them, they hurt. They hurt to a point where I couldn't wear them for more than 20-30 min. at a time and I was even contemplating returning them because the pain was just ridiculous considering how much I had spent on them. With a little patience, a lot of bending the headband, and some time(2 weeks give or take) I was got them to behave. Now I can wear them for hours and most times they kind of melt into my head. Approach them the way you approach a pair of new shoes. Uncomfortable until they're perfect.

post #14939 of 29490

Question between the Grado SR80i and the Alessandro MS1, which is favored more for what Grado does best?  The Alessandro I heard has more bass, but does the SR80i still have the better "rock" sound?

post #14940 of 29490

Can anyone give some insights on the ATH-WS55? I'm planning to buy them but coming from a HD448 w/c I really really like, I'm having second thoughts. I'm looking for a portable headphones so I can listen to music while traveling, obviously the HD448 isn't exactly portable.

 

I have very strong preferences for clear mids&highs w/c I found very very prevalent on the HD448

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum