or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 995  

post #14911 of 29490

It sounds like there are layers of sound missing from the hifiman he500's that I can hear in the HD600's though. Also, overall I am honestly just amazed at how lackluster these headphones sound right now...not only do all the reviews suggest that they are god's gift to the headphone world, but they are also 700 bucks. This was also the first pair of orthodynamic headphones I ever got a chance to listen to, so I was really excited to hear this "unique" sound that I hear everyone talking about. Unless my setup isn't doing them justice, I can confidently say that the HD600's blow them out of the water. 

post #14912 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBNYC2 View Post

It sounds like there are layers of sound missing from the hifiman he500's that I can hear in the HD600's though. Also, overall I am honestly just amazed at how lackluster these headphones sound right now...not only do all the reviews suggest that they are god's gift to the headphone world, but they are also 700 bucks. This was also the first pair of orthodynamic headphones I ever got a chance to listen to, so I was really excited to hear this "unique" sound that I hear everyone talking about. Unless my setup isn't doing them justice, I can confidently say that the HD600's blow them out of the water. 

They do need a high power amp to really make them sing. I am not familiar with the LDMKIII so I can't attest to its prowess. But your amp may not be able to give it enough amperage to give them total justice.

 

I know my HeadRoom Micro Amp with Astrodyne PSU really struggled with extension on the HE500s.

post #14913 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post

 

Are you looking for something bright and mid-centric like the Porta-Pro or something bright and bass heavy with recessed mids like the M50?

 



I like the sound of the Porta-Pro, but with a little more bass. I was originally only looking at closed back, but I've realised that I really don't need isolation as much as I thought. I can always get some IEMs if I want to later.

 

So, my only real reference headphone is the Porta-Pro. I like the sound, but want to upgrade, some more bass would be nice. The Porta-Pro made me say 'wow' over the generic headphones I had before and I want to be wowed again. My budget is around $150 give or take. I primarily listen to rock, jazz and some hip-hop/electronica.

 

I've heard that Grado/Allessandro make a quality can for rock?


Edited by Roundwounds - 5/24/12 at 11:39am
post #14914 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiR3D View Post

I had the 205s, Arg nasty, sibilant and only suited for electronic music
Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2

So, you mean to say that the HD 419s would be the better choice of the two? Or should I go for HD 205-IIs if bass is my preference?
post #14915 of 29490

So, I am still looking into getting some headphones for use whilst attempting and failing to study doing work :) ! I was thinking ath m30s (my budget is around £60). But I have come across a good piece of good fortune! My friend's friend works for Audio Technica and my friend has asked him to source some m50s for me, he thinks he can get them for me in my budget, if not less. However, this is all good except I had a mini panic just now. Apparently m50s are very picky about their source. I will occasionally be listening to badly mastered things, whether it is a video on youtube to some of my songs on my iPod Classic. I currently have all my songs at 256kbps on my classic and a mixture of them on lossless and 256kbps on my laptop. So I have two questions, 1. My Uncle spent months ripping his CD collection onto his PC, the problem being they are all in 128kbps. I took all the songs and put them on my pc and put them into iTunes, converting them to 256kbps for my iPod. Would I now be wasting my time if I try to get lossless versions of the songs using the files that are currently at 256kbps? What I mean is, can they be decompressed? 2. More importantly though is the m50s. With them, will I be able to listen to my iPod classic with 256kbps? and be able to watch youtube videos fine with them? I am worried about crackling noises. Can someone please recommend me here?

post #14916 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundwounds View Post

 



I like the sound of the Porta-Pro, but with a little more bass. I was originally only looking at closed back, but I've realised that I really don't need isolation as much as I thought. I can always get some IEMs if I want to later.

 

So, my only real reference headphone is the Porta-Pro. I like the sound, but want to upgrade, some more bass would be nice. The Porta-Pro made me say 'wow' over the generic headphones I had before and I want to be wowed again. My budget is around $150 give or take. I primarily listen to rock, jazz and some hip-hop/electronica.

 

I've heard that Grado/Allessandro make a quality can for rock?

 

Grado/Alessandro cans leak a great deal.  If you can get by that, the Alessandro MS-1 fits what you are looking for--but it is not a heavy bass can.  Also efficient enough to be played directly from portable devices and of the sound signature you described are the Sony MDR-ZX700, MDR-7510 and (from what I have read) KRK KNS-6400. 

post #14917 of 29490

No, I can't let these leak. As for the quality thing, I can't put my quality any higher which is a bit annoying, but you can't have everything in life!

post #14918 of 29490

Oh and I was considering shure srh440, what do you think of that? The thing is, I can get a serious discount with Audio Technica so I'd like to stay with them. Do you think I will struggle with the M50s or do you think I will be alright? I have read a lot of conflicting reviews about the sensitivity.

post #14919 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Guy123 View Post

Oh and I was considering shure srh440, what do you think of that? The thing is, I can get a serious discount with Audio Technica so I'd like to stay with them. Do you think I will struggle with the M50s or do you think I will be alright? I have read a lot of conflicting reviews about the sensitivity.

 

With regard to the M50, it all comes down to whether a "V" shaped EQ is OK with you or not.  This sound signature delivers recessed mids.

post #14920 of 29490

I'm going to try this again, except with a different price range. I often listen to punk rock and acoustic songs. I'll listen to Three Days Grace, Green Day, Third Eye Blind, Relient K, Maroon 5, and Rise Against. I use them in school, so alright isolation, portable, on/over ear, closed back. I have a 130-170$ price range. I'm currently using Audio Technica ATH Es7's. I'm looking for an upgrade. I don't really want really bass heavy headphones, more clarity, but I do want some bass. Could someone suggest me some headphones? Thanks.

post #14921 of 29490

I've been considering grabbing a pair of good cans for portable use, now that I'm spending more and more time at university. I have a big head and big ears, so I was thinking I would go supra-aural, and the best option seems to be the V-Moda M80s, as the headband seems to be very flexible. Does anybody have any thoughts as to whether I might prefer a different set of supra-aurals that might be more suitable to big head & ears in the $150-$250 range, or are the M80s the right way to go? Also, if anyone has any thoughts on how deep bass centric music such as that made by Burial, and 'maximalist' electronic music made by Rustie sounds on the M80s, that would be greatly appreciated.

post #14922 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1026 View Post

I'm going to try this again, except with a different price range. I often listen to punk rock and acoustic songs. I'll listen to Three Days Grace, Green Day, Third Eye Blind, Relient K, Maroon 5, and Rise Against. I use them in school, so alright isolation, portable, on/over ear, closed back. I have a 130-170$ price range. I'm currently using Audio Technica ATH Es7's. I'm looking for an upgrade. I don't really want really bass heavy headphones, more clarity, but I do want some bass. Could someone suggest me some headphones? Thanks.

Ath-m50's seem like they'd fit your needs. They're closed, very isolated, in that price range, have decent bass, and can fold up (and come with a soft case) for portability, and they don't need an amp to be driven
post #14923 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoa View Post

I've been considering grabbing a pair of good cans for portable use, now that I'm spending more and more time at university. I have a big head and big ears, so I was thinking I would go supra-aural, and the best option seems to be the V-Moda M80s, as the headband seems to be very flexible. Does anybody have any thoughts as to whether I might prefer a different set of supra-aurals that might be more suitable to big head & ears in the $150-$250 range, or are the M80s the right way to go? Also, if anyone has any thoughts on how deep bass centric music such as that made by Burial, and 'maximalist' electronic music made by Rustie sounds on the M80s, that would be greatly appreciated.

 

Well, Val Kolton, CEO of V-MODA, is a DJ and all V-MODA headphones are geared more towards electronic music than most other genres. I'm not familiar with the artists you mentioned, but dubstep and dance music, like Black Eyed Peas, sound fantastic on my V-80s. The bass isn't overwhelming like V-MODA's LP/LP2 line but it's there and thumps quite nicely, however, I don't think the M-80 would be classified as a "basshead" headphone, since it's V-MODAs audiophile model and the focus was more on musical clarity with a bit of a bass boost and slight downplay on the treble; the former, because it just makes music a bit more fun to listen to, and the latter, to help protect and increase the longevity of our hearing. Even with these tweaks, the M-80 is VERY sensitive to EQ'ing it won't be too hard to play with the sound to your liking. Lastly, just look at the white ones...
M-80White.jpg

Kinda' wish I had waited. Love my V-80s though. They don't look too bad either. (Custom Shields)
C360_2012-05-21-16-19-26.jpg

post #14924 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleudeciel16 View Post


Ath-m50's seem like they'd fit your needs. They're closed, very isolated, in that price range, have decent bass, and can fold up (and come with a soft case) for portability, and they don't need an amp to be driven

Thanks. Will they be a nice upgrade from my ES7's?

post #14925 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1026 View Post

Thanks. Will they be a nice upgrade from my ES7's?

I honestly don't know, so you might find the ath-m50 appreciation thread and ask the guys in that thread and you'll probably find someone who's owned both
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum