Hey guys! I'm after some advice.. It seems this is the biggest forum around, so I thought I might give it a try. I'm a journo, and I need a new set of cans for sound/video editing. Here's what I am after:
- Great isolation. This is very important to me. I need to be able to focus just on the sound to find any blemishes I need to edit out in the piece. It might be a breath I need to remove, or finding the spacing between two short-spaced sentences when I am inserting a quote into a radio or video broadcast. If I'm getting background noise from the air conditioning duct/office sound/dripping tap etc, it will throw me, and I might just miss something.
- Outstanding sound quality when used with an amp, great sound quality when it isn't. On the latter, I plan to use these headphones at home a bit for gaming/music/movies, but I don't have an amp at home. I don't plan to buy one for a little while, but I still want to be able to use the cans and get great quality out of them. I'm running a Xonar DX on the computer. On the former, I'll be using amps at work, so this is where the sound quality has to be at its highest. I don't plan on doing any work at home if I can avoid it.
- Not over the top on the bass. I'm aware that I'll probably end up with a set of closed cans which doesn't help, but I'm sure that there is a set out there that fits the criteria. It should support rather than be a major feature. I've always found people using headphones that are heavy on the bass kill any sound editing they do for broadcast. They overcompensate. Besides, most people at home watching/listening to the news don't exactly have the bass cranking. I want cans that will reproduce sound as close to what most mainstream audiences listen to the news at.
- For at home use, I have a few bits and pieces to mention. Gaming wise, I'd like something that still gives good positional cues. It doesn't need to be crazy good, although that would be a bonus, but I do want it to be worthy of some light-medium gaming. I tend to play RPG's more than FPS's, and I don't play competitively i.e for money/trophies etc. Music wise, it is generally rock and classical music. And if it does a good job at movies that would be nice. At a guess, I'd say 40% work stuff, 30% gaming, 20% music and 10% movies.
- Price wise, I'm looking at under AUD200. Journos get paid jack.
Any thoughts? I was thinking A700's might be an option, but I haven't actually had too much experience in buying headphones.
Consider the Ultrasone HFI-680 S-Logic Surround Sound Professional Headphones. The Shure SRH 840 are also good, but I'm sure that they'll give you the sound stage that you're looking for. That's probably the hardest thing to find in a closed can that falls within your price range.