or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 947  

post #14191 of 29490

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinh4u2 View Post

 

 

Hey guys, any insight to my situation? Would be much appreciated! 

 


Regarding the FiiO amps vs the Xonar_DG sound card, I would say try your new headphones (whichever ones you get) using the Xonar card first, since you already have it.  That sound card should be fine for the headphones you have mentioned.  If you need a portable amp, that is another thing entirely, and one of the FiiO amps, like the E6 or E11 should be on your list of amps to consider.

 

If you want another suggestion for headphones to consider, I like the Creative Aurvana Live! quite a lot.  Take a look at this review over at Innerfidelity:  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

post #14192 of 29490

Hey guys, I'm looking for a little help in stepping up my setup.

 

Running my A700's straight out of my laptop currently, 320 files from foobar. 

 

I absolutely love my A700's, the mostly balanced sound but not boring and analytical. Detailed enough to help me distinguish between a good and bad recording, but not to the point of annoyance. And a good soundstage.

 

I originally got these because I needed them for my dorm room where three of us shared the same room. They were closed but still had the soundstage and sound I was looking for. Next year though, I will be in an apartment with my own...quiet...room where I can where open headphones without the droning of a stereo, tv, a/c, etc. And I'm also beginning to notice how much more natural sounding open cans are, and I think I would rather that sound.

 

My price range would be preferably around $200 -$250. 

 

I am looking for something rather similar to my A700's, just open. First place I looked to was the ATH line, the AD900 more specifically, since it was in the family and I figured that the sound may be a signature part of the line. (I figured the AD700 would be a little to lacking in the low end). I have also looked into a couple others but am still a little unsure.

 

In addition, I'm looking to get my first DAC, and was wondering what a good entry level choice would be. I've seen the E10 mentioned quite a few times, and it sounds nice enough. 

 

Any help is appreciated.

 

Thanks,

Kyle

 

 

post #14193 of 29490

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post

 

 


Regarding the FiiO amps vs the Xonar_DG sound card, I would say try your new headphones (whichever ones you get) using the Xonar card first, since you already have it.  That sound card should be fine for the headphones you have mentioned.  If you need a portable amp, that is another thing entirely, and one of the FiiO amps, like the E6 or E11 should be on your list of amps to consider.

 

If you want another suggestion for headphones to consider, I like the Creative Aurvana Live! quite a lot.  Take a look at this review over at Innerfidelity:  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

 

Yeah thanks for the suggestion. I checked out those CAL! and for that price$55-60, I actually was going to buy it. But then after looking back, AMazon just shot the price up from $60s to $99. I refuse to be a victim of Amazon's high flux pricing =P

 

But I will be sure to keep my eyes on it. Right now I am looking at those and the JVC RX700s as those are fairly cheap with good reviews also.  Might actually bite on the JVCs since amazon jacked the price on the CAL! and the M50s

post #14194 of 29490

Hey guys,

 

I am still having a lot of trouble trying to find the best headphone for 300 dollars. I am now between four headphones....Ultrasone PRO 750, Denon D2000, Shure SRH940 and the Beyerdynamic DT770 (32 ohm). Which one would you guys pick? I will keep researching. I will be using my headphones unamped. Thanks!


Edited by LazBro123 - 4/19/12 at 7:35pm
post #14195 of 29490

Just came across this website a few days back and now im all confused on which headset to go for .I am not much of a pop listener i usually refer jazz and rock . Was adviced against monster beats . Im still stuck on what to choose between these options

KOSS PRODJ200
BOSE OE2i
SOUL SL100UB Ultra Definition
Sennheiser HD 238i
V-Moda Crossfade V-80
Creative WP-350

well the main reason i selected these as they have a detachable cable and iphone controls. Would really appreciate if someone helps. 


 

post #14196 of 29490

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post

The ATh-M50 because it has cleaner bass and is more portable.
 



 

 

Agree. The SRH840 sounds pretty decent, but it's like wearing a helmet with no ventilation. The Shures also sound horrible without an amp, the quality exponentially increases with any outside amp. M-50 for you.

post #14197 of 29490

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedd900 View Post

Just came across this website a few days back and now im all confused on which headset to go for .I am not much of a pop listener i usually refer jazz and rock . Was adviced against monster beats . Im still stuck on what to choose between these options

KOSS PRODJ200
BOSE OE2i
SOUL SL100UB Ultra Definition
Sennheiser HD 238i
V-Moda Crossfade V-80
Creative WP-350

well the main reason i selected these as they have a detachable cable and iphone controls. Would really appreciate if someone helps. 


 

The v-moda seems like the best choice there. The build quality is tank so it should last longer than the others too.

 

Also, if you don't mind in-ear headphones, the Monster Turbines are a great choice. Despite being made by the same company as beats, they're entirely different and also more stylish than most over-ears.

 

 

post #14198 of 29490

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinze View Post

 

The v-moda seems like the best choice there. The build quality is tank so it should last longer than the others too.

 

Also, if you don't mind in-ear headphones, the Monster Turbines are a great choice. Despite being made by the same company as beats, they're entirely different and also more stylish than most over-ears.

 

 

 

Was using in-ear headphones for a while now but they hurt my ears as i have to wear them for video editing at work for more than 7 to 8 hrs daily . I have tried Ultimate Ears in-ear headphones love the sound , but have to move onto another company as they dont make over ear headphones .

post #14199 of 29490

Recommendations for a decent, not-too-expensive portable amp for my Denon ah d5000. (For use with my iPhone when traveling.)

post #14200 of 29490

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayman250 View Post

Recommendations for a decent, not-too-expensive portable amp for my Denon AH-D5000. (For use with my iPhone when traveling.)

Fiio E11, with Fiio L cable.

 

 

post #14201 of 29490

Anybody think the Superlux HD668B would be considered an upgrade to the JVC HA-RX700 (w/ removed felt ring mod and I'd guess at least a good 500-1000hrs on it)?

 

would it be better in terms of soundstage/accuracy/mids and highs?

 

does it hold its own with bass or would it be a little anemic?

 

thanks in advance.

post #14202 of 29490

Guys, got it down to two headphones....Which one do you think is better unamped? The Ultrasone PRO 750 or the Beyerdynamic DT770 32 OHM? Thanks!

post #14203 of 29490

I have HD555 (foam modded) with Auzentech Prelude 7.1 sound card. It's been a solid investment at around $250 but I'm curious if there is anything I can do as this setup is approaching 4 years in age. I love the clarity and the neutrality, but the bass could still use a bit more punch.

 

Is there anything that would significantly improve SQ for under $100 (would Fiio E10's do anything for me?) or would I have to move up to $150 for a new pair of cans?

post #14204 of 29490

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymenoceros View Post
Anybody think the Superlux HD668B would be considered an upgrade to the JVC HA-RX700 (w/ removed felt ring mod and I'd guess at least a good 500-1000hrs on it)?

Would it be better in terms of sound stage/accuracy/mids and highs?

Does it hold its own with bass or would it be a little anemic?

If i remember right, the HD668B sounded better then my HA-RX900.

 

 

post #14205 of 29490

Could anyone with experience add to what has already been said about the differences between the 

 

Ultrasone HFI-580 and HFI-780 ???


I've searched and read at least 4 threads on the subject, but there seems to be almost no one who can provide a detailed comparison. 

From several places I've gathered that:

 

  • BOTH have a lively sound with bright, forward highs and good bass, and somewhat recessed mids. 
  • The 780's have more soundstage at the expense of some bass
  • The 580's have more bass at the expense of some soundstage. 
  • People seem to have a marginally higher satisfaction rate with the 580's but that was before the price of the 780's plummetted to within $15 of the 580's (BHPhoto Prices). 
  • The 580's are recognized as more "fun" and the 780's as more detailed, less sibilant. 

 

What I'm still wondering is the following:

 

Q. The 780's have better soundstage...but what does that say about the soundstage of the 580's? Is it non-existent?

Q. Is there a chasm of difference regarding bass?
Q. Are the mids on either so recessed that good female vocal tracks will sound hollow compared the sparkling highs? Or is either phone (particularly the 780 I'd guess) still capable of reproducing good vocal-centric music?

Q. Despite the low impedence of both phones, Apparently the 780 needs an amp to come into its own, while almost everyone asserts that the 580 sounds great from a portable device. 

Q. Given that the 780's can be had for only $14 more than the 580's, does that make them an obvious choice for my needs (below)?

 

I'm looking for a phone in this price range for strings, vocals, and some ambient electronic. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum