or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 911  

post #13651 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odilepont View Post


Great, thanks
Got a few questions which might not be related to the topic but here goes anyways :|
Would it be possible to upgrade a little in the future, without going all out - would these benefit from a ±$50 DAC/amp?
If so, could you recommend me something? I really dig Fiio's design FYI.
Are there any European webshops that sell these or should I get international shipping from something like amazon?


Of course. You haven't stated what gear you're currently using, but considering when you're using the new headphones, you will be plugging them to an onboard audio chip, which is terrible, mainly due to implementation but its specs are still very much below what even an entry soundcard can provide.

 

You have entry products such as Asus Xonar DG, a sub-$50 soundcard that comes with a headphone amplifier, for instance. But honestly, I think you should aim higher and get a better quality source. Of course, this depends on your listening habits, whether it's music, gaming or movies.

 

About FiiO, you might want to check here: http://www.fiio.com.cn/where/index.aspx

post #13652 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by faverodefavero View Post

Hi there, everyone!

 

Can anyone please tell me if there's any USD$1100.00 or less (thinking about something around USD$900.00, and no higher than USD$1000.00, preferably) headphone that'll give me a better experience (specially in detail level. I really like to hear all details, microdetails, in the music! And dynamic sounding headphones also seem to always please me) than HE-5LE and/or HE-500 that I currently own?

 

I listen to Jazz and Classic Rock mostly, but also like Classical orchestrated music and Hard Rock.

 

I'm using HT Omega Claro Halo on PC (iTunes, Wasapi) as source, sending bytes via a BlueJeans (Mitsubishi ESKA fiber) optical digital cable, to the DA-160 DAC from Burson and, finally, I amplify the sound with a Schiit Lyr (again, I use BlueJeans RCA cables as interconnects). All is powered by a Belkin PF60 power conditioner.

 

Thanks for the help! Really.

 

PS:

I have a V4 Magnum that sounds great as well but am waiting for the Jumbo Cushions to really give them a nice listen and make an A/B comparison with the HE-500. Although I've already found (on my quite brief listening with the V4 Magnum) the basic and more obvious differences in sound between both, I can't really say which one can really deliver the most dynamic and micro (as well as macro) detailed listening experience.

I must say, though, that I do feel that the HE-500 is the best of them by a good margin (and just seems to be more detailed in every way, except for low frequencies depth maybe as the Magnums really hit hard on bass impact for me), but some might disagree and - again - I have not actually given enough time for the V4s.

 


This sounds like a question for the "Summit-Fi" section of the forum.

 

post #13653 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post



Of course. You haven't stated what gear you're currently using, but considering when you're using the new headphones, you will be plugging them to an onboard audio chip, which is terrible, mainly due to implementation but its specs are still very much below what even an entry soundcard can provide.

You have entry products such as Asus Xonar DG, a sub-$50 soundcard that comes with a headphone amplifier, for instance. But honestly, I think you should aim higher and get a better quality source. Of course, this depends on your listening habits, whether it's music, gaming or movies.

About FiiO, you might want to check here: http://www.fiio.com.cn/where/index.aspx

I have stated what I'm currently using, a Sennheiser HD215 along with whatever you would call this (it came with my logitech g330s, may they rest in peace).
As far as listening habits go, I'd say 80% music (again, mostly electronic), 5% youtube videos and 15% film/tv shows.

The Xonar DG seems like a good start for now and a nice addition to my build.

Thanks a lot for the replies, I'll sleep on it a couple nights and either decide to get them or do some more research.
post #13654 of 29490

hi, im looking for headphones that will be used for 75% rock and 25% rap. i need them to be closed. my budget is $150 but it can be expanded a little.  i like forward mids and a good amount of bass (similar amount as the ath m50 provides). if their is nothing that is good for both, then please recomend headphones that are good for rock (as i already have good sounding headphones for rap).

post #13655 of 29490

i'm from india ..i'm planning to buy id america spark since its been in half price for long time but it seems amazon doesn't ships outside US..

 

http://www.amazon.com/America-Spark-InEar-Headphones-Black/dp/B006ZH2U2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333333225&sr=8-1

 

so please tell me some reliable websites to buy id america spark which ships to india(free shippin appreciated) around the same price tag?

post #13656 of 29490

Hello ! 

 

Just got the Denon AH D2000 and I'm no impressed nor like the sound quality... a 350$ (although payed 229$) phone that sounds to me like your in a cave cmon! this sucks., compare to the Sony's MDRV6 and Grados 225i I prefer any one over the Denon's. I agree they have great bass but the mids are way to recessed.

 

Any way, looking for a suggestion  on a great can for around 229$.

 

I mostly hear electronic, rock, indie, pop, and any thing really :) with iPod Classic 5G and Fiio e11

 

Thanks

post #13657 of 29490

Hey guys. I'm looking for a headphone in the range of $200-$300. My music tastes are really varied so I'm looking for something versatile. I've been using Sennheiser HD555's for the past 2 years and I like Sennheiser since they're headphones are so comfortable and I can literally wear them for the whole day without any discomfort. For open/closed, I'm planning to use them in a private environment so I'd like to stay with open. Since I don't really have THAT much money to spend, I'd prefer something that doesn't absolutely need a powerful amp, or if possible could be driven with a relatively cheap one that would keep me somewhere around my price range.

 

I thought Audio Technica AD900's would be a good idea since they're open, comfortable, pretty cheap, and don't really need an amp, but I've also heard they're quite lacking in bass which would kind of suck because I listen to quite a bit of drum and bass. However, if anyone has them and disagrees, please share. Other than those, I've taken a look at the AKG Q701 which sparked my interest, but those are kind of pushing my price range. Anyway, recommending an amp or dac with a model of headphones would be cool too. Thanks!

post #13658 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by iburdeinick View Post

Hello ! 

 

Just got the Denon AH D2000 and I'm no impressed nor like the sound quality... a 350$ (although payed 229$) phone that sounds to me like your in a cave cmon! this sucks., compare to the Sony's MDRV6 and Grados 225i I prefer any one over the Denon's. I agree they have great bass but the mids are way to recessed.

 

Any way, looking for a suggestion  on a great can for around 229$.

 

I mostly hear electronic, rock, indie, pop, and any thing really :) with iPod Classic 5G and Fiio e11

 

Thanks



Through what do you play them?

post #13659 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post



Through what do you play them?



I play them from an iPod Classic 5G 80GB + Fiio e11, MacBook Pro for now :)


Edited by iburdeinick - 4/4/12 at 8:42pm
post #13660 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacebar View Post

Hey guys. I'm looking for a headphone in the range of $200-$300. My music tastes are really varied so I'm looking for something versatile. I've been using Sennheiser HD555's for the past 2 years and I like Sennheiser since they're headphones are so comfortable and I can literally wear them for the whole day without any discomfort. For open/closed, I'm planning to use them in a private environment so I'd like to stay with open. Since I don't really have THAT much money to spend, I'd prefer something that doesn't absolutely need a powerful amp, or if possible could be driven with a relatively cheap one that would keep me somewhere around my price range.

 

I thought Audio Technica AD900's would be a good idea since they're open, comfortable, pretty cheap, and don't really need an amp, but I've also heard they're quite lacking in bass which would kind of suck because I listen to quite a bit of drum and bass. However, if anyone has them and disagrees, please share. Other than those, I've taken a look at the AKG Q701 which sparked my interest, but those are kind of pushing my price range. Anyway, recommending an amp or dac with a model of headphones would be cool too. Thanks!



The next steps up from the HD 555 would be the HD 598 and AKG Q 701, both of which are similarly priced (in the U.S.).  The Beyer DT 880 Pro costs a bit more.

 

I don't have the AT AD 900, but have the closed A900, which I find to be lifeless or something close to it.  It's not bad, but it's also not good.

post #13661 of 29490

Hi there,

 

I've been lurking these forums for the past few weeks as I've grown an interest in entering the audiophile world (mid-fi at most).  I've been using a pair of Sennheiser PX100 for my home and outside use from my Cowon S9, desktop computer, and smartphone but feel like I want something better.

 

I have looked around the forums, reading recommendations and reviews but feel like I'm going in circles.  I have however, taken an interest in the AKG K550, Q701, D2000, and AD900.  I am not considering Shure's SH840 since my friend has a pair and would like something else so we can compare.

 

My taste in music fall under a few things:

 

- Classical

- Jazz

- Rock

- Pop

- Trance

- Most tracks consists of a female vocalist

 

I'm not too sure what I'm really looking for in sound, but I do enjoy listening to the vocals, piano, strings, bass guitar, and drums (but not bass heavy).  There's no concern for portability as I'll mostly be using them at home and maybe long road trips at most.  They do have to be comfortable though.

 

My budget is $400 CAD so around 300-350 USD due to difference in price.  Also, if the headphones require an amp, please feel free to recommend one as well.  My budget for an amp if I need one is $150 but have been looking at the Fiio e10 and Matrix M-stage.

 

All recommendations are greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks.

post #13662 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by iburdeinick View Post



I play them from an iPod Classic 5G 80GB + Fiio e11 as posted. 



It sounds as though you need a bright, fairly easily powered can with bass.  Ultrasone Pro 750 (currently $225 at Amazon) comes to mind.

post #13663 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty99 View Post

hi, im looking for headphones that will be used for 75% rock and 25% rap. i need them to be closed. my budget is $150 but it can be expanded a little.  i like forward mids and a good amount of bass (similar amount as the ath m50 provides). if their is nothing that is good for both, then please recomend headphones that are good for rock (as i already have good sounding headphones for rap).



Try Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, they don't have recessed mids and the bass is there. They don't have an insane amount of bass but I think it would satisfy most people

post #13664 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimwit21 View Post

Hi there,

 

I've been lurking these forums for the past few weeks as I've grown an interest in entering the audiophile world (mid-fi at most).  I've been using a pair of Sennheiser PX100 for my home and outside use from my Cowon S9, desktop computer, and smartphone but feel like I want something better.

 

I have looked around the forums, reading recommendations and reviews but feel like I'm going in circles.  I have however, taken an interest in the AKG K550, Q701, D2000, and AD900.  I am not considering Shure's SH840 since my friend has a pair and would like something else so we can compare.

 

My taste in music fall under a few things:

 

- Classical

- Jazz

- Rock

- Pop

- Trance

- Most tracks consists of a female vocalist

 

I'm not too sure what I'm really looking for in sound, but I do enjoy listening to the vocals, piano, strings, bass guitar, and drums (but not bass heavy).  There's no concern for portability as I'll mostly be using them at home and maybe long road trips at most.  They do have to be comfortable though.

 

My budget is $400 CAD so around 300-350 USD due to difference in price.  Also, if the headphones require an amp, please feel free to recommend one as well.  My budget for an amp if I need one is $150 but have been looking at the Fiio e10 and Matrix M-stage.

 

All recommendations are greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks.


The Q 701 is what I would pick from your list, given what you want.  The Beyer DT 880 Pro might also be a good fit, or you could blow by your friend with the Shure SRH 940.  The Utrasone Pro 750 would work if you want something on the bright side.  The open Grado 225 and Alessandro MS-2 is also worth considering if you like the Grado/Grado lite sound.

 

post #13665 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinze View Post



Try Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, they don't have recessed mids and the bass is there. They don't have an insane amount of bass but I think it would satisfy most people


The weakest part of the DT 770 Pro to my ears is recessed mids.  The Ultrasone HIFI 780 might be a better pick.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum