or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 894  

post #13396 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC3 View Post

I am looking for my first pair of decent-quality headphones.  For the past three or four years I was using Skullcandy Skullcrushers (yes yes, I know).  They broke recently, and for now I am borrowing a pair of Sennheiser HD428s.

In any case, I have a budget of $200-300, but I'm also a sucker for a good deal.  I prefer closed cans simply because I don't want to disturb anyone else with what I'm listening to, and right now listening privately at my computer isn't an option.  A friend recommended the ATH-A900 as he is personally a big fan of them, and although they look a little weird I kind of like the design.  Much like my friend I would be using these as kind of an all-purpose laptop headphone, so it would be for music as well as games, video, and anything else  that comes up, and I would also be wearing them for long stretches at a time.  However, I work retail and have recently discovered that my shop will be getting the ATH-A900x next month, which means I'll be able to get them for roughly half price and cheaper than the A900s go for.

The reason I'm asking here is that it seems like reaction to the A900x has been a little mixed here.  I was wondering if you folks thought this would be a good starter set, or if it would actually be a better decision to go with the A900s...or something else entirely?  Previously I was looking at the ATH-M50 (everyone seems to love them), ATH-ESW9 (I'm not sure I'd like the on-ear nature of these and I am worried they would be flimsy, but the portability would be nice), HD 280 pro (recommended by a musician friend who uses them to record), AKG-Q701 (don't think I want open cans, and I gather I would need an amp for these).

So yeah, I would very much appreciate any advice.


You'll also need amping for the A900x, if it is like the A900.  Although a very efficient can, the A900 just lays there (accurate--but bland and boring) unless amped.

 

BTW--everyone does not love the M50 as a $150 can.  The Shure SRH840 is a better buy unless you are a basshead.

 


Edited by KG Jag - 3/26/12 at 3:57pm
post #13397 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post

 

 

Two conflicting answers, the best kind of response.

 

I did a bit of reading again, and many suggest an amplifier for the D2000s; would there be a difference between using a Fiio E10 versus Fiio E7/17 with E9 combo (I am wondering if the external DAC is worth it, since I am currently using onboard sound card that came with my laptop).

 

Sorry for the questions; I am still new to high end audio, and am not too familiar with amplification systems.

 

Also, I read that the D2000s are bass heavy; how much so?
 

 


The D2000 are bass and sub-bass heavy without crossing into basshead territory.

 

Can't help you with the amping question, as I haven't heard any of the Fiios and my serious music listening is done with vinyl and CDs.

 

post #13398 of 29490

I recently bought a pair of AKG Q701s and they are my favorite I have tried so far, I love the soundstage (for most songs), the mids, the highs and the clarity and detail. But I have found the soundstage ruins some songs (distant vocals, guitars thrown into extremes of the soundstage). I also don't like the lack of bass, I was expecting a bit more. I want good mids and good highs, and a nice soundstage (doesn't have to be as wide but still needs to be wide and accurate as I like computer games), but I'd also like bass that isn't overwhelming but you can easily follow a bassline, bass drums have a bit more oomph etc. I don't want D2000 level bass, I've already been there and that way too much. Going through all of what is considered "mid-fi" now, it seems like the DT-880 Premiums may be what I am looking for. Any thoughts, I don't want to get started down the wrong path here.


Edited by shorke - 3/26/12 at 4:04pm
post #13399 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorke View Post

I recently bought a pair of AKG Q701s and they are my favorite I have tried so far, I love the soundstage (for most songs), the mids, the highs and the clarity and detail. But I have found the soundstage ruins some songs (distant vocals, guitars thrown into extremes of the soundstage). I also don't like the lack of bass, I was expecting a bit more. I want good mids and good highs, and a nice soundstage (doesn't have to be as wide but still needs to be wide and accurate as I like computer games), but I'd also like bass that isn't overwhelming but you can easily follow a bassline, bass drums have a bit more oomph etc. I don't want D2000 level bass, I've already been there and that way too much. Going through all of what is considered "mid-fi" now, it seems like the DT-880 Premiums may be what I am looking for. Any thoughts, I don't want to get started down the wrong path here.

 

I'm on the same boat as you. I have Q701's, and want something with more bass. I bought K550's recently hoping that they would be more bass heavy, but they actually have even less bass presence, and considerably less mid bass impact.

HD650's are a good can if you want better mids than Q701's have, same amount of clarity and detail, but less in your face. They also have somewhat more bass than Q701, but REALLY not much more. And I actually think that Q701's have more sub bass presence, HD650's really shine in mid bass, which does give them a slight edge in terms of impact. But both headphones are still the limits of neutral. HD650's are often branded as muddy, veiled or bassy. Well, most people who buy them are in for a surprise.

 

So yea I also want a headphone that will be able to provide lush, smooth, very present mids, clear sparkly highs without brightness, great soundstage that has proper central image not just left-right like Q701's, and great bass, both sub bass and impact. I don't know if such a can exists, but if it does, I'd pay up to 1000 dollars for it.  LCD'2 maybe? D5000? D7000? Who knows....
 

 

post #13400 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


The D2000 are bass and sub-bass heavy without crossing into basshead territory.

 

Can't help you with the amping question, as I haven't heard any of the Fiios and my serious music listening is done with vinyl and CDs.

 


Interesting; I read some reports that the D2000 are not so great for Classical music? Considering that this is a majority of my listening (including opera, etc), would they still be recommended?

 

post #13401 of 29490

I had them for a short while but sent them back as I found the bass and sibilant highs overshadowed the mids too much. I didn't try any classical but I can't imagine the bass being too overwhelming, the mids may be an issue. Edit: Sorry, didn't see you only wanted closed backs. So I'll offer my insight on the D2000. The D2000 has lots of bass, and it can hit hard and it can hit low, sometimes it sounds controlled but on some songs it can sound a bit flabby. The highs can be extremely sibilant at first but that seems to go away after about a day or two of burn-in. With classical music, they may work fine. They definitely have the most impressive soundstage out of any closed headphone I've heard. But here is another to investigate: The AKG 550, it just came out and some people seem to like it and some seem to not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post


Interesting; I read some reports that the D2000 are not so great for Classical music? Considering that this is a majority of my listening (including opera, etc), would they still be recommended?

 



 


Edited by shorke - 3/26/12 at 6:08pm
post #13402 of 29490

Are there any set of cans similar to the JVC HARX700's in terms of sound quality, build quality, and price? Maybe ones that don't look so goofy.

post #13403 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post


Interesting; I read some reports that the D2000 are not so great for Classical music? Considering that this is a majority of my listening (including opera, etc), would they still be recommended?

 


I wouldn't chose the D2000 for classical.  The D7000, although a closed can, should do well when properly amped.  My little HiFiMan EF2A opened up the sound stage and made each musical voice much clearer and distinct when compared with running them through the headphone jack of my Yamaha receiver.  The D5000 might do much the same thing, but I have not heard them yet.

 

post #13404 of 29490

I'm looking to buy headphones below the $140 range ($150 at the most).

The majority of my music consists of Blues, Vocal Soundtracks, Soul, and some pop, r&b, and the occasional soft rock.

I'm not a bass head so I'm not looking for anything bass heavy.

I think headphones that are clear, detailed and have good mids and highs would be best suited for the type of music I listen to, no?

 

I'm relatively new to all of this so you're recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

 

Edit: I'll mainly be using this at home on the laptop and on my ipod so I don't want to buy an amp.

post #13405 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbigpr View Post

 

I'm on the same boat as you. I have Q701's, and want something with more bass. I bought K550's recently hoping that they would be more bass heavy, but they actually have even less bass presence, and considerably less mid bass impact.

HD650's are a good can if you want better mids than Q701's have, same amount of clarity and detail, but less in your face. They also have somewhat more bass than Q701, but REALLY not much more. And I actually think that Q701's have more sub bass presence, HD650's really shine in mid bass, which does give them a slight edge in terms of impact. But both headphones are still the limits of neutral. HD650's are often branded as muddy, veiled or bassy. Well, most people who buy them are in for a surprise.

 

So yea I also want a headphone that will be able to provide lush, smooth, very present mids, clear sparkly highs without brightness, great soundstage that has proper central image not just left-right like Q701's, and great bass, both sub bass and impact. I don't know if such a can exists, but if it does, I'd pay up to 1000 dollars for it.  LCD'2 maybe? D5000? D7000? Who knows....
 

 


You will probably be most pleased with cans in the $550 and up (street price) audiophile range.  The three cans you mentioned at the end of your post may well meet your needs, along with the HiFiMan HE500.

 

post #13406 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


You will probably be most pleased with cans in the $550 and up (street price) audiophile range.  The three cans you mentioned at the end of your post may well meet your needs, along with the HiFiMan HE500.

 



What is the closest I can get to that same sound (neutral and evenly presented mids and highs but with just a bit more bass than the Q701s, nice accurate soundstage) if I have 300? I could stretch it a bit if needed. I was looking at a pair of DT-880 Premium 600ohms, they seem like they would fit the bill but they look like they have a slight recession of the upper mids on some frequency charts.

post #13407 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorke View Post

I had them for a short while but sent them back as I found the bass and sibilant highs overshadowed the mids too much. I didn't try any classical but I can't imagine the bass being too overwhelming, the mids may be an issue. Edit: Sorry, didn't see you only wanted closed backs. So I'll offer my insight on the D2000. The D2000 has lots of bass, and it can hit hard and it can hit low, sometimes it sounds controlled but on some songs it can sound a bit flabby. The highs can be extremely sibilant at first but that seems to go away after about a day or two of burn-in. With classical music, they may work fine. They definitely have the most impressive soundstage out of any closed headphone I've heard. But here is another to investigate: The AKG 550, it just came out and some people seem to like it and some seem to not.



 


I was considering the AKG 550 as well, I'm currently reading through the 70+ page thread; there seems to be a lack of review just due to the fact that it is a relatively new pair of headphones. I haven't been able to try them in a store yet either.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


I wouldn't chose the D2000 for classical.  The D7000, although a closed can, should do well when properly amped.  My little HiFiMan EF2A opened up the sound stage and made each musical voice much clearer and distinct when compared with running them through the headphone jack of my Yamaha receiver.  The D5000 might do much the same thing, but I have not heard them yet.

 

The D7000 + amplifier would be out of my price range, unfortunately. I am looking to spend about $300 for a set of headphones.

 

 

post #13408 of 29490

Buying Advice...

Price range= $150-$200

I will be listening to mostly dubstep house etc and rap/hip-hop with a little bit of rock followed by everything else.

I will not be buying an amp just yet so I would like the headphones to sound fine without one, but I will eventually get one.

 

My bother has the audio technica m50, I have listened to them and I like them, but that is coming from a history of white apple earbuds...

It also seems like all roads lead to the m50's from the research I have done so far. 

They have to be popular for a reason, I just want to make sure there isn't anything a bit better out there that I am missing.

 

thanks!

post #13409 of 29490

D2000. You can find them open box at Electronics Expo for 200. The one I got was literally brand new, as if someone had just cut the tape on the box and sold it as open box.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerrdy View Post

Buying Advice...

Price range= $150-$200

I will be listening to mostly dubstep house etc and rap/hip-hop with a little bit of rock followed by everything else.

I will not be buying an amp just yet so I would like the headphones to sound fine without one, but I will eventually get one.

 

My bother has the audio technica m50, I have listened to them and I like them, but that is coming from a history of white apple earbuds...

It also seems like all roads lead to the m50's from the research I have done so far. 

They have to be popular for a reason, I just want to make sure there isn't anything a bit better out there that I am missing.

 

thanks!



 

post #13410 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorke View Post

D2000. You can find them open box at Electronics Expo for 200. The one I got was literally brand new, as if someone had just cut the tape on the box and sold it as open box.
 



 


Is that normal for an open box item to be in great condition from them?

 

And I'll look up the reviews for the D2000, but if you could sum up what makes it worth the extra $40 and risk of being damaged rather than going for the new m50's it would be appreciated.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum