or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 874  

post #13096 of 29490

would the Fostex T50RP with a fiio e5 amp be a good setup or would i need a better amp. Or does it sound fine without an amp

post #13097 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


I have the D2000 and D7000--have only read about the D5000.  For most folks the choice is between the two I have.  However, for female vocals the D5000 may be the best choice for you.

 


I wound up getting the D5000. Loving them so far, even right out of the box. They're burning in now, but so far they look like a good choice. The bottom end is amazing!

 

post #13098 of 29490

How do the K701 and DT880 compare for gaming?  Also, would a Claro Halo's amp be enough to drive either of these?  I figure that it could drive the 32OHM or 250OHM version of the DT880, but I'm unsure of the 600OHM version or the K701's.

post #13099 of 29490

I'm going to explode soon if i don't get this sorted. :D

 

I'm looking headphones mostly to listen newer funk/new jack swing type of music where the bass is on the forefront, but of course not as much as on the dubstep or similar. While i like that there is that very sub bass, i'm more of a mids bass guy.

At this hour i have been looking at Grado SR225i and Denon D2000. I have for a long time set to get D2000, but as i tested them i felt that the sub bass was maybe a bit too aggressive at times. Really hard to find any Grado's to test here in Finland so i'm mostly in the dark with them.

 

Price range is ~ 200€. Don't need any portability, them being easily driven is a plus.

 

 

post #13100 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmholtzW View Post

Hey guys,
I want a pair of Open headphones. Budget is ~$200 max, ~$150 ideal.
I'm not an expert with headphones, but I think I'd want a fairly balanced sound. I mainly listen to alternative rock. Example bands: The Flaming Lips, Arcade Fire, Radiohead, The National, Animal Collective

I was looking at the HD598, but the price increased from $180 to $250 before I could buy them.
Any recommendations would be great.

Keep an eye out for used ones in the classifieds here. You can easily get a pair in your price range and I find the HD598 to be superb.
post #13101 of 29490


Yeah, the HD598 is great for that kind of stuff. Try contacting SoundEarphones or Razordogdeals and see what kind of deals they can do for you currently.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post


Keep an eye out for used ones in the classifieds here. You can easily get a pair in your price range and I find the HD598 to be superb.


 

post #13102 of 29490

so what do you guys think is better between ATH-M50s and HFI 580 for house/hardstyle/electro etc...(or any other headphones you recommend around the same price)

and can anyone recommend a legit site for ordering headphones?


Edited by airapollo - 3/18/12 at 3:08pm
post #13103 of 29490

Hi, this is a repost from the AVSForum, but since this is a head-phone specific site I wanted to see what you all thought over here :).

 

Anyway, I was looking at picking up some Audio Technica w1000x to listen to while at work in my new office. We are moving to a cube-farm, and so I wanted something with excellent audio (I was hoping to pair it with a headphone amp) that I could enjoy while removing myself from the cube world. Well after my wife and I looked at our finances, we just couldn't justify spending ~$550 on a pair of work headphones right now. So, I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for a pair of headphones that would be similarly comfortable (I have some ATH-700's that I LOVE and can wear indefinitely), but might hit into the $300 range.

I would also love any suggestions on a good headphone amp to pair with the purchase. The amp would need to support a 1/8" jack in (pulling the sound from my ZuneHD).

Thanks in advance for all your advice!

post #13104 of 29490
Check out the new AKG K550. Lots of debate about it, but seems to really please some and it hits your price point and is sealed. What would your budget be for an amp and would you prefer plug in only or batteries or both (rechargeable)?

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone
post #13105 of 29490


Thanks Maxvla!

 

I'd prefer a plugin.  I'm probably not traveling with these at all, just using them at my desk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Check out the new AKG K550. Lots of debate about it, but seems to really please some and it hits your price point and is sealed. What would your budget be for an amp and would you prefer plug in only or batteries or both (rechargeable)?
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone


 

post #13106 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by csf101 View Post

Hello everyone,

 

I'm currently an owner of a Skullcandy Hesh Headphone, and since I'm going on trip to SC in less then two weeks, I was looking forward to buying a decent pair of cans for $300.00 or less. I usually listen to Rock, Rap, and Metal most of the time too if that helps. Currently, I'm interested in the Sennheiser HD598, the Audio-Technica m50s. and possibly the Beyerdynamic DT 880, although I'm open to new ideas. What do you guys think the best headphone is to go for for the price and the genres of music I listen to?

 

Thanks for any advice. :D

 

The three cans on your list are all quality cans, with each bringing things to the table for its price class.  However, if you want more bass/sub-bass without getting a basshead can, consider the Denon AH-D2000.  You should be able to pick if up well within your budget, especially by getting the Head-Fi deal through J & R.

 

post #13107 of 29490
Something like the Leckerton UHA-6S would be good. Has 1/8 input and charges on a USB so you can use it portably if you wanted, but it's a bit on the large side for that use. You can customize your amp with opamp choice. OPA209 is a detail oriented opamp if you need something in that direction. You can search about the others. It's a DAC also so you can plug in a digital source like your computer and play music through there.

http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha-6s/

Not going to find many normal desktop amps with 1/8 input, but you could always use a 1/8 to 2x RCA adapter cable.

Something more normal for desktop in an affordable range would be a Little Dot or Gilmore Lite (used only).
Edited by Maxvla - 3/18/12 at 3:52pm
post #13108 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmholtzW View Post

Hey guys,

I want a pair of Open headphones. Budget is ~$200 max, ~$150 ideal.

I'm not an expert with headphones, but I think I'd want a fairly balanced sound. I mainly listen to alternative rock. Example bands: The Flaming Lips, Arcade Fire, Radiohead, The National, Animal Collective

 

I was looking at the HD598, but the price increased from $180 to $250 before I could buy them.

Any recommendations would be great.


The HD 558 is a good can, if the 598 is now out of your price range.

 

post #13109 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by tissot View Post

I'm going to explode soon if i don't get this sorted. :D

 

I'm looking headphones mostly to listen newer funk/new jack swing type of music where the bass is on the forefront, but of course not as much as on the dubstep or similar. While i like that there is that very sub bass, i'm more of a mids bass guy.

At this hour i have been looking at Grado SR225i and Denon D2000. I have for a long time set to get D2000, but as i tested them i felt that the sub bass was maybe a bit too aggressive at times. Really hard to find any Grado's to test here in Finland so i'm mostly in the dark with them.

 

Price range is ~ 200€. Don't need any portability, them being easily driven is a plus.

 

 


I went with the 325 instead of the 225 in part because the 325 has better/more bass capability.  I also have the D2000.  In the end--one can probably has a bit less bass than you want and the other a bit more than you want.  You will just have to chose--or go to a third option.

 

post #13110 of 29490

As with many others here I am in the market for a new pair of headphones and am a little overwhelmed with choices. For reference I am pretty new higher quality headphones, currently own a pair of Monster Turbine IEM's and Beyerdynamic MMX 300's (MMX 300's are basically DT 770's 32Ohm with a mic attached for reference). I enjoy both sets, but without a real comparison that doesn't do much for me.

 

I am looking for a set around the $300 price range or less. These will be used about 50/50 at home and on the road. They don't have to be particularly portable, I would like to be able to power them with a portable amp which I would like to not spend more than $100ish on (I am open to suggestions on a good amp at this price range as well) or directly from my Ipod itself. I am not particularly worried about sound leakage so both an Open or Closed design is fine. 

 

In terms of music I mostly listen to rock, and hard rock. Occasionally some hip-hop, as well as some punk rock. Some bands/artists include, Three Days Grace, All That Remains, Shinedown, Rise Against, Five Finger Death Punch, Eminem, Chevelle, etc. Ideally I would like to find something with tight punchy bass for the drums that has at least a bit of deeper extension for the hip hop. 

 

I have read about and considered the Denon AHD2000, Ultrasone Hfi2400, Beyerdynamic DT 880/990, and Sennheiser HD598. Each seems to have it strong and weak points and I am having a hard time coming to a conclusion. If anyone has any feedback about the above listed or any other sets it would be greatly appreciated.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum