or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 848  

post #12706 of 29490

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinoob005 View Post

 

Thanks for the suggestions, and i have one more question: how do the CAL!s perform in the low frequencies with fast techno and and electronica, from what i read they don't do so well unelss they are amped, am i right? Also, do you think the sony's and K81's will suffice with fast low low frequency music?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50an6xy06r6n View Post

I don't think the CAL! really need amping, as they're consumer-oriented, though they may improve with amping. I imagine they'll work pretty well with techno and electronica,  but beyond that, you'll have to ask someone who's heard them. The K81s might also work, but my impression of the XB500s was that they felt a little slow. 

 


I was just about to go for the XB500's, but they are out of stock locally, so i am looking at the CAL!'s, i wanted to know from someone who has listened to the CAL!'s if they do well for low freq fast paced music?

 

post #12707 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifalna View Post
Interesting suggestion, I know that when you use optical out you're basically bypassing any electronics from the card itself, so buying a high end sound card doesn't really make sense unless you want Surround sound. I have to think about this one a bit.

Does your suggestion of the 250 Ohm Version imply that the Yamaha infact cannot drive the 600 Ohm version? I ask this because here in Germany there is no price difference between 250 and 600 Ohms.

The Titanium HD is about the best card you can get for gaming (great for First Person Shooters),

but the Yamaha would (should) do a better job with audio for music & surround sound for movies.

And your motherboard should come with a decent built in audio processor (Realtek?).

But if you do use the Titanium HD, you can run an optical cable straight from it to the Yamaha, as the Titanium HD can process gaming audio and send it down the optical cable.

So my idea for using the digital optical cable straight from the motherboard to the Yamaha, is more about saving money (Euros).

If your computer has an HDMI output and your computer monitor has a HDMI input, you can run the HDMI cable from your computer to the HDMI input on the Yamaha, then run an HDMI cable from the HDMI output on the Yamaha to the HDMI input on your computer monitor, this would allow you to use full Blu-ray audio if you played Blu-ray disk on your computer. Anyway, I'm just full of ideas.

 

I just think it's safer to use 250-Ohm headphones, if you can easily return the 600-Ohm headphones, then it might be worth it to try.

I have no experience using 600-Ohm headphones, so I can't really say on how well they would work with the Yamaha.


 

 

 

post #12708 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinoob005 View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinoob005 View Post

 

Thanks for the suggestions, and i have one more question: how do the CAL!s perform in the low frequencies with fast techno and and electronica, from what i read they don't do so well unelss they are amped, am i right? Also, do you think the sony's and K81's will suffice with fast low low frequency music?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50an6xy06r6n View Post

I don't think the CAL! really need amping, as they're consumer-oriented, though they may improve with amping. I imagine they'll work pretty well with techno and electronica,  but beyond that, you'll have to ask someone who's heard them. The K81s might also work, but my impression of the XB500s was that they felt a little slow. 

 


I was just about to go for the XB500's, but they are out of stock locally, so i am looking at the CAL!'s, i wanted to know from someone who has listened to the CAL!'s if they do well for low freq fast paced music?

 



I'd say they can do it pretty decently. I listen to a some fast paced music, but not much of them have lows. But from some that I listen to, I am not left felt wanting. To me they are more than adequate for me, but then my preferred sound signature is more towards vocals and mids. So take that into consideration too.

post #12709 of 29490

Yeah I realized that HDMI Dilemma.... AFTER I bought a new 1080p Monitor in a hurry because my old one broke down. Of course mine does NOT have HDMI so no uncracked Blu-Rays for me... *shakes fist @ content mafiosi*

 

 

 

Quote:

 

I just think it's safer to use 250-Ohm headphones, if you can easily return the 600-Ohm headphones, then it might be worth it to try.

I have no experience using 600-Ohm headphones, so I can't really say on how well they would work with the Yamaha.

I think I'll be ruthless and use Germanys "Fernabsatzgesetz", because we can send anything back that we ordered via the internet for 14 days if we don't like it. 

 

Now I'll just have to wait until the first payment for my masters thesis comes in and then I'll pull the trigger (shouldn't take more than 2 months... bureaucrats.... ^_^

If you're interested I can let you know what the results are. Thanks for the input!


Edited by Ifalna - 3/4/12 at 9:21am
post #12710 of 29490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifalna View Post

Yeah I realized that HDMI Dilemma.... AFTER I bought a new 1080p Monitor in a hurry because my old one broke down. Of course mine does NOT have HDMI so no uncracked Blu-Rays for me... *shakes fist @ content mafiosi*



Some DVI interfaces support HDCP.  My TV doesn't have HDMI, but it does have DVI and I can play HDCP protected movies on it through the DVI port.  Have you tried any uncracked Blu-Rays?

post #12711 of 29490

Hey guys, i have a budget of 150 Pounds (UK) and they need to be decent allrounders, at the moment im into lindsey stirling, but i like my alt rock and sometimes dubstep/dnb, and have been looking at the m-audio q40 but was wondering about any other suggestions? d2000's are 220 pounds here so there out :( needs a secure fit on a smallish head and have little or no sound leak. thanks!


Edited by Sanotter - 3/4/12 at 9:57am
post #12712 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifalna View Post
Yeah I realized that HDMI Dilemma.... AFTER I bought a new 1080p Monitor in a hurry because my old one broke down. Of course mine does NOT have HDMI so no uncracked Blu-Rays for me... *shakes fist @ content mafiosi*

I think I'll be ruthless and use Germanys "Fernabsatzgesetz", because we can send anything back that we ordered via the internet for 14 days if we don't like it. 

Now I'll just have to wait until the first payment for my masters thesis comes in and then I'll pull the trigger (shouldn't take more than 2 months... bureaucrats.... ^_^

If you're interested I can let you know what the results are. Thanks for the input!

Yes, post the results.
 

 

 

post #12713 of 29490

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on a pair of headphones. My previous headphones are Sennheiser HD485s and Phillips HP910s. I prefer the sound and comfort (velvet pads <3) of the HP910s. Since I don't have a great vocabulary for these things, I'll cite someone else's description of their sound: "all of the frequencies are adequately represented. The bass is rolled off, the mids shine true, and the highs bright." So that is the kind of sound that I would prefer. I like to be able to hear deep bass frequencies but I don't like it to be exaggerated or boomy. They HP910s also seem to have more soundstage and the separation of different instrument is better. The HD485s in contrast sound a bit too much like my memory of the Grado SR60s, very "flat" sound, no soundstage, somewhat fatiguing.

I listen to a wide range of music, but if the cans were to sound especially good with certain types of music they should be techno/electronica/downtempo/ambient.

 

So here's what I'm looking for:

Budget: ~$100

Comfort: Very important, I listen for long periods (~6-8 hours at a time)

Size: Ideally portable (I travel for 3/4ths of the year), note that I consider the HD485s to be portable

Sound: Big soundstage

 

So far I have been considering:

Audio-Techncia ATH-ES7

Fischer Audio FA-004/Incipico nx104
AKG K518 LE (afraid they might be too bassy)

Panasonic RP-HT770 / Audio Technica ATH-AD700

 

Would any of these cans actually be an upgrade from what I have now? Am I missing an obvious choice?

 

Thanks!

post #12714 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by taslavar View Post

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on a pair of headphones. My previous headphones are Sennheiser HD485s and Phillips HP910s. I prefer the sound and comfort (velvet pads <3) of the HP910s. Since I don't have a great vocabulary for these things, I'll cite someone else's description of their sound: "all of the frequencies are adequately represented. The bass is rolled off, the mids shine true, and the highs bright." So that is the kind of sound that I would prefer. I like to be able to hear deep bass frequencies but I don't like it to be exaggerated or boomy. They HP910s also seem to have more soundstage and the separation of different instrument is better. The HD485s in contrast sound a bit too much like my memory of the Grado SR60s, very "flat" sound, no soundstage, somewhat fatiguing.

I listen to a wide range of music, but if the cans were to sound especially good with certain types of music they should be techno/electronica/downtempo/ambient.

 

So here's what I'm looking for:

Budget: ~$100

Comfort: Very important, I listen for long periods (~6-8 hours at a time)

Size: Ideally portable (I travel for 3/4ths of the year), note that I consider the HD485s to be portable

Sound: Big soundstage

 

So far I have been considering:

Audio-Techncia ATH-ES7

Fischer Audio FA-004/Incipico nx104
AKG K518 LE (afraid they might be too bassy)

Panasonic RP-HT770 / Audio Technica ATH-AD700

 

Would any of these cans actually be an upgrade from what I have now? Am I missing an obvious choice?

 

Thanks!



If you think that the HD485 is portable, then you're missing the Creative Aurvana Live (CAL) in your comparison. From your description of your favoured sound signature, the CAL sounds like the one you'd like, or at least consider. I can only compare my CAL to the AKG (although this is a friend's, not mine) and for the most part, it is definitely more bassy than the CAL, and have a slightly recessed mids/vocals. I don't remember much of the highs though. One thing I noticed is that the AKG have more clamping force than the CAL. I feel like the CAL have moderate force, and for some maybe the earpad can be a bit shallow, so the tip of your ear may touch the driver baffle and irritate you in the long run.

 

Can't give any input for the others, though I have read a lot about the AD700. But I still think you should read it yourself as you can better process the impressions people have on them.

post #12715 of 29490

Hello,

 

I'm looking for some help. I want either IEMs or (full-size) headphones. My budget is around 150-200 dollars. What are the big differences between IEMs and headphones? I listen to (Instrumental) Rock, classical, a bit of everything really. So I would like them to be versatile.  If it's a headphone, then I want them to be comfortable (I have glasses). So far I've been looking at: 

 

Audio Technica ATH-M50

Sennheiser HD 598

AKG K701

 

Monster Turbine Pro Copper

Monster Turbine Miles Davis

Logitech / Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10

 

I will be driving these from my iPhone 4 / laptop, I might buy a CmoyBB though.

 

Thanks in advance!

post #12716 of 29490

Do you need portability? If you don't, I think the HD598 is probably the best sound you can buy for that price, especially if you can buy a cheap amp like the E9. If you shop used, you might get out at $230 or so.

 

If you need portability, it's a toss up between the ATH-M50 (or similar over ear, such as the HD25-1ii or VModa M80) and the iems. I like full sized because of the dynamics and timbre; I like in ear because of the details. At that price range, you're probably better with iems for the sound quality to price ratio, especially if you're ok w/ a less dynamic/real sound. I know that "less real" sounds bad but iems have their own addictive power. At this price range, I'd really consider the Vsonic GR07 as a comfortable, forgiving but fantastic iem. The triple.fi 10 sound fantastic but their recessed mids (imo) can be a bit disengaging. The biggest problem for me though is they are so uncomfortable. If you can get the Westone 2 for under $200 (sometimes around $170), I find it has a fantastic price to performance ratio and would do well with those genres. If I had to pick one under $200 iem, it would be the GR07 or Westone 2. I'd also look around and read up on the Ortofon EQ5. I love the Grado GR10 (out of your price range) but it has some sonic similarities to the EQ5.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by iJimmy View Post

Hello,

 

I'm looking for some help. I want either IEMs or (full-size) headphones. My budget is around 150-200 dollars. What are the big differences between IEMs and headphones? I listen to (Instrumental) Rock, classical, a bit of everything really. So I would like them to be versatile.  If it's a headphone, then I want them to be comfortable (I have glasses). So far I've been looking at: 

 

Audio Technica ATH-M50

Sennheiser HD 598

AKG K701

 

Monster Turbine Pro Copper

Monster Turbine Miles Davis

Logitech / Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10

 

I will be driving these from my iPhone 4 / laptop, I might buy a CmoyBB though.

 

Thanks in advance!



 

post #12717 of 29490

Hey guys,

 

Gonna be in a loud/rowdy office and need a pair of comfortable headphones I can wear for extremely long periods of time. Currently looking at D7000s, but am open to suggestions. I'm mostly looking for all-rounders, but comfort and isolation are key.

 

Also considering the T5p and Ultrasone Ed 8, both used.

 

Thanks guys!

post #12718 of 29490

I don't think the D2000s are doing it for me. I am looking for something that is good at all genres, has nice full mids, nice highs and nice bass that doesn't overpower but instead compliments. I listen mostly to classic rock, electronic music, classical, instrumentals and experimental rock, but I don't want to be locked into those genres on a headphone.Open or closed doesn't matter, I should also mention that I play games so they should be good for games too.

 

I want something far more neutral sounding, or at least less colored, something that presents all of the recording for me to hear and focus on. But I don't want something to lose it's energy. I've heard the Sennheiser sound and I'm fine with that more laid back energy, I just don't want something completely void of life. I'm planning on getting an O2 amp and then installing the ODAC when it comes out for maximum compatibility with all headphones unless anyone else has any better suggestions. I have 500 dollars for all of it, and I don't mind buying used headphones or open box.

 


Edited by shorke - 3/4/12 at 6:18pm
post #12719 of 29490

ok im sick of audiophile sound for the moment. i don't listen to good music half teh time, it's all CD ripped but mainstream crap. This means regular not so prominent vocals usually and ...moooaar basss. I like my Shure's and Ultrasone's but as you can see from my reviews, i differentiate between consumer bass and audiophile bass. I currently now want the former. And, it has to be comfortable, i mean comfortable, and not looks or meh comfortable. Price is $50 at most, preferable...and I mean preferably $30 full size or portable, IEM, or open I don't care. 

Currently looking at, Panasonic 600,Portapro,XB500,JVC700. 

 

for what i want eh XB500 looks to be a great choice. I recommend it all the time, when I demo'd it I knew it wasn't audiophile and was not what I was looking for back then(audiophile sound) but it fits my current purpose. Now, anything cheaper? Despite what people say about the Panasonic's and JVC's I have my doubts, I know what head-fi'ers like to do with their recommendations on bass and what not, and all the stereotype's and Placebo's, plus I'm also young. I want legit consumer bass, and my impression is that the Panasonic 600's won't deliver and the JVV's are iffy.

 

As you can tell, I'm in a iritable mood. My HFI's don't deliver the bass I need and my Shure's are basicaly movie and gaming computer use headphones. I'm ranting like Jgray now. just...a consumer bassy headphone. ill go to best buy one of these days again. my PL11's are very close to what I am looking for, however it all goes to you know where as soon as i pump it up, mids get drowned out and lows just start distorting and bashing uncontroulably


Edited by bowei006 - 3/4/12 at 3:19pm
post #12720 of 29490

 

Hey guys,

 

I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones..... I can spend maximum 200 dollars (I can spend a bit more if there is a huge jump in quality.) I listen to mainly hip hop and rock. I want an upgrade from my ATH-M50. What do you recommend?

 

Thanks,

 

LazBro123

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum