Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 841  

post #12601 of 29490

Hey all,

 

I am considering on purchasing the Beyerdynamic DT 1350. I already have the T50p and was wondering if anyone would be willing to give their opinion on the differences/similarities in sound (sub-bass, bass, treble, and high) and ambient noise isolation of the 1350. Thanks.

 

Matt

post #12602 of 29490

You are practically describing the Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii word for word :p It's on-ear, comfortable, portable, durable, looks fine, and punches way above its weight class on sound. Standard prices are about $175-$200 I believe. Do some research on it.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastergrim8 View Post

1st Post Here.

 

I'm looking for some on-ear headphones but I can live with over-the-ear headphones as well.

My budget cannot exceed $175. I refuse to buy an Beats that are severely overpriced and are none better than some $20 skullcandys,

I do however like the portability of the Beats Solo headphones [they suck @$$ quality wise, and are cheaply made]

I am a college student who commutes and I need headphones for my laptop and ipod.

I do not make music or produce music. I am purely an music enthusiast.

The type of music I listen to : Orchestral [40%] RB [20%] Rock [20%] (Rap, Hiphop, Country, etc) [20%]

I do travel alot and tend to beat up my headphones so durability is so what a concern. I do not prefer excess bulk.

 

I want some thing that has the best audio quality [one that can hit from low to high] for at around the price range of $175.

I need something that is somewhat comfortable.

I need headphones that are definitely portable.

I need something that is built sturdy and pretty durable.

The visual appeal does not have to be great as long as it serves it purpose.

 

Right now the only thing I can think of buying is the  V-MODA Crossfade M-80 or V-MODA Crossfade LP

 

Please make some suggestions for me. I'm only looking to buy via Amazon or Ebay.

Thank you.

 

 

 

 

 

 



 

post #12603 of 29490

My post seemed to have been overlooked (===___===)

But from 3-4 pages back:

"Situation. 


I'm looking for a new set. I currently own the A700 and the M50's running off a PA2V2 (will upgrade later on, but no need in paying for what I can't utilize or need yet). 

 

My m50's have an issue with high treble shrilling and getting a very close static sound even on flac files running from a custom HD audio card in my laptop. My A700's handle treble far better, but the static is BARELY present. As in you have to really analyze it to hear it. Anyways, the point being is that I love the a700's, but I want a more refined version of them. 

My listening preferences:

High treble extension without shrilling (aka nothing too rolled off and a tad warm in sound signature)
Tight and Accurate bass (Something where you get the punch of a snare without muddle resonance)
Slightly forward Mid-range with an emphasis in the 500-4k band (Vocal Clarity)


Music I listen to:

Techno/Future Trance
Chillout (lot of instrumental/ambience)
Drum & Bass
Progressive Rock

 


Headphone needs:

Closed back
Non-fatiguing (usually brought on by a signature that's TOO forward)
Extended usage in a single sitting (5-6hrs+)
Over-Ear

 


Cost: Under $350

 

 

Portability is not a concern. If there's anything higher than 64ohm's I'll upgrade AMP/DAC, but I'll need to know what'd pair really well with the suggestions.


Thoughts?"

post #12604 of 29490

Let's see if we can offer some help.  First thing is to go to Headroom and look at the graphs of the two headphones you own to get a feel for how what you hear correlates with the freq response graphs.  This can be really helpful.  For example the AT 700s have a midrange that rolls off quite naturally and a large treble peak from about 7-10khz.  This may be where you are picking up some exaggeration of noise from your system.  The M50s have a more flat midrange without the deep dip between 3-4khz than the 700s have which is probably why this upper mid noise is more prevalent there.  Looking at some cans graphs in comparison to your could help you narrow down some candidates for a short list.

 

I too am very sensitive to peaks in the treble and settled on some Shure 840s prior to getting my Beyer 880 600 ohms.  The Shures have a big peak near 9-10khz as well but the broad peak in the upper bass adds a bit of warmth and its slight upper midrange peak seems broad enough to not excite any particular resonance that makes it sound too bright.  Other good closed cans are the Sennheiser 600s for instance but the impedance is higher.  The Denon 200s are really pleasing albeit with a little suck out of the mids but they do sound nice especially for the money and are easy to drive.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post

My post seemed to have been overlooked (===___===)

But from 3-4 pages back:

"Situation. 


I'm looking for a new set. I currently own the A700 and the M50's running off a PA2V2 (will upgrade later on, but no need in paying for what I can't utilize or need yet). 

 

My m50's have an issue with high treble shrilling and getting a very close static sound even on flac files running from a custom HD audio card in my laptop. My A700's handle treble far better, but the static is BARELY present. As in you have to really analyze it to hear it. Anyways, the point being is that I love the a700's, but I want a more refined version of them. 

My listening preferences:

High treble extension without shrilling (aka nothing too rolled off and a tad warm in sound signature)
Tight and Accurate bass (Something where you get the punch of a snare without muddle resonance)

 

Your amp may have a lot to do with this
Slightly forward Mid-range with an emphasis in the 500-4k band (Vocal Clarity)
The Shure might help here.  Grados have a peak in the upper mids but the low bass might be lacking plus they are an on ear type

Music I listen to:

Techno/Future Trance
Chillout (lot of instrumental/ambience)
Drum & Bass
Progressive Rock

 


Headphone needs:

Closed back
Non-fatiguing (usually brought on by a signature that's TOO forward)
Extended usage in a single sitting (5-6hrs+)

Might be tough without some time out breaks on a closed can, the open ones are generally a bit more comfy

Over-Ear

 


Cost: Under $350

 

 

Portability is not a concern. If there's anything higher than 64ohm's I'll upgrade AMP/DAC, but I'll need to know what'd pair really well with the suggestions.


Thoughts?"



 

post #12605 of 29490
Koss dj100 vs Sony XB500 vs AKG 142hd
these are around the same price. I am looking at get two of the three.
Bass is a must. I own a pair of dre solo(free) and Panny RP-HTF 600. Love the 600 and they sound great with a PA2V2. Thanks all.
post #12606 of 29490


I think it's obvious that you should get the koss and the sony. I came to this decision solely based on reading too much around the forums, and I don't own/heard them, except for the Sony. From what I can hear, the sony delivers that bass thump but not much sub-bass. The mids and highs are recessed compared to the bass. Obviously this is a basshead's can.

 

I suggest you wait for someone else to give you more input on this matter.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser182 View Post

Koss dj100 vs Sony XB500 vs AKG 142hd
these are around the same price. I am looking at get two of the three.
Bass is a must. I own a pair of dre solo(free) and Panny RP-HTF 600. Love the 600 and they sound great with a PA2V2. Thanks all.


 

post #12607 of 29490

Looking for a good pair of headphones under the price of $100
I've been looking at the; Denon AHD510 & Shure SRH240

which one has better sound quality?
I'm also open to suggestions for other heaphones

thanks in advance!

post #12608 of 29490

Fi,

 

I need some suggestions on my first set of Grados. I have read a lot about them but since I am so new to hi(er) end audio, I dont want to make too many several hundred dollar decisions on my own. I just got my first set of "Good" cans a few weeks ago. After listening to both the ATH M50s and the ATH PRO700MK2s, I went with the latter with the 50 pads. LOVE them for hip hop, electronic and metal with heavy double bass drums. Now I want a nice set of open back cans. 

 

At this point I dont think its about "Which Grados to get?", Its a matter of "Which Grados to get FIRST".

 

MUSIC: I listen to everything. From underground hip hop to every electronic genre under the sun to folk to classical rock to oldies. I listen to It ALL. 

 

PRICE RANGE: Under $600 if possible. I am willing to buy used. If I can get $800 grados used for $600, im all about it. 

 

SOURCE: Right now, Phone running PowerAMP. In 2 weeks, Ibasso DX100.

 

Can someone steer me in the direction to start looking first?

 

 

post #12609 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastergrim8 View Post

1st Post Here.

 

I'm looking for some on-ear headphones but I can live with over-the-ear headphones as well.

My budget cannot exceed $175. I refuse to buy an Beats that are severely overpriced and are none better than some $20 skullcandys,

I do however like the portability of the Beats Solo headphones [they suck @$$ quality wise, and are cheaply made]

I am a college student who commutes and I need headphones for my laptop and ipod.

I do not make music or produce music. I am purely an music enthusiast.

The type of music I listen to : Orchestral [40%] RB [20%] Rock [20%] (Rap, Hiphop, Country, etc) [20%]

I do travel alot and tend to beat up my headphones so durability is so what a concern. I do not prefer excess bulk.

 

I want some thing that has the best audio quality [one that can hit from low to high] for at around the price range of $175.

I need something that is somewhat comfortable.

I need headphones that are definitely portable.

I need something that is built sturdy and pretty durable.

The visual appeal does not have to be great as long as it serves it purpose.

 

Right now the only thing I can think of buying is the  V-MODA Crossfade M-80 or V-MODA Crossfade LP

 

Please make some suggestions for me. I'm only looking to buy via Amazon or Ebay.

Thank you.

 

 

 

 

 

 




In addition to the V-MODA's check the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s or the Shure SRH840.  Both are tough, fold-up and sound very good.  The cord on the Shure is removable.

post #12610 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by mferreeer View Post

Looking for a good pair of headphones under the price of $100
I've been looking at the; Denon AHD510 & Shure SRH240

which one has better sound quality?
I'm also open to suggestions for other heaphones

thanks in advance!

I have not heard either those, but also worth considering are two I have--the CAL's and Shure SRH440.  The CALs have better sound (excellent all around can for their price range).  The Shure is more portable; fold up and have a detachable cord.
 

 

post #12611 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS1605 View Post

Fi,

 

I need some suggestions on my first set of Grados. I have read a lot about them but since I am so new to hi(er) end audio, I dont want to make too many several hundred dollar decisions on my own. I just got my first set of "Good" cans a few weeks ago. After listening to both the ATH M50s and the ATH PRO700MK2s, I went with the latter with the 50 pads. LOVE them for hip hop, electronic and metal with heavy double bass drums. Now I want a nice set of open back cans. 

 

At this point I dont think its about "Which Grados to get?", Its a matter of "Which Grados to get FIRST".

 

MUSIC: I listen to everything. From underground hip hop to every electronic genre under the sun to folk to classical rock to oldies. I listen to It ALL. 

 

PRICE RANGE: Under $600 if possible. I am willing to buy used. If I can get $800 grados used for $600, im all about it. 

 

SOURCE: Right now, Phone running PowerAMP. In 2 weeks, Ibasso DX100.

 

Can someone steer me in the direction to start looking first?

 

 




Grados (and to a slightly lesser extent--their Alessandro cousins) have such a unique house sound that I would not recommend plopping down $600 unless you gave that model an extensive listen.  Unless you're a trust fund kid or working for kicks, its just too big of a crap shoot to buy them blind (deaf?).  Further, neither the Grado's or Alessandro are discounted very much or very often.

 

If you want to just jump in, do it at about the $100 level with the 80 or MS-1.  That should tell you if you like the sound and both have a decent resale market.

post #12612 of 29490
Thanks for the advice. I don't know anyone with Grados so I may be waiting for a while for the opportunity to get a listen. It makes sense to wait though...
post #12613 of 29490

Okay, Right now all i have that i actually listen to is the srh840. Right now i am trying to decide my next purchase, but the problem is i cannot figure out if the next logical step is an amp(since i've heard that the srh840 does not greatly benefit from an amp) or getting a new set of phones. The problem with getting a new set of phones is all i am running out of right now is a realtek intergrated soundcard, which is not supposed to be particularily good. So i need some advice as to what is probably the better logical step to go towards, and as i do not have infinite sums of money, i will likely be atleast a 1-2 month break to buy anything else. Thank you for any advice you can offer. If how i currently feel about my headphones is at question, right now they sound good, but just a little boring, I don't have anything worthy to compare them to though.

post #12614 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezerme View Post

Okay, Right now all i have that i actually listen to is the srh840. Right now i am trying to decide my next purchase, but the problem is i cannot figure out if the next logical step is an amp(since i've heard that the srh840 does not greatly benefit from an amp) or getting a new set of phones. The problem with getting a new set of phones is all i am running out of right now is a realtek intergrated soundcard, which is not supposed to be particularily good. So i need some advice as to what is probably the better logical step to go towards, and as i do not have infinite sums of money, i will likely be atleast a 1-2 month break to buy anything else. Thank you for any advice you can offer. If how i currently feel about my headphones is at question, right now they sound good, but just a little boring, I don't have anything worthy to compare them to though.



Right now, IMO it'll be better for you to change headphones. From what I read, the srh840 is fairly neutral, so it makes sense that you may find it boring. My suggestion is to find some more "fun" headphones. This usually involves something with more bass focus. As I am not interested much in those kinds of headphones, I can't help you much though. Please note though that all of this is only my humble opinion.

 

Or if you want to upgrade your source (soundcard, in your case), getting an external DAC is a good idea. Personally I have only a Fiio E10, and they are for the most part a good upgrade over my onboard laptop's soundcard. Again, I can't give you anu more suggestions, contrary to my post counts, I'm also fairly new in this hobby.

post #12615 of 29490

Best headphones for acoustic music for $100?

The Panasonic HTF600? Denon? Sennheiser?

How do they sound with acoustic music?

 

I appreciate any advice and other suggestions!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum