or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 839  

post #12571 of 29490

Dear all, I am in desperate need of some advice.

 

I have not owned a proper pair of cans before. My only, somewhat decent, sound experience comes from my B&W 603's and have owned semi-ok pair of image s4's. Hence, there is little for me to compare new headphones with. Furthermore, it has proved challenging, to say the least, to find a store where I can demo the cans I'm interested in. Therefore, it would me much appreciated if people with more experience could advice me on my new headphones to be. 

 

I am looking for some cans at around the 200 euro (250-ish dollars?) price mark. They will mostly be used in the library (studying) from my 3GS WITHOUT AMPING INITIALLY, and since I do no want to trouble other people with my music they must be leaking next to no sound. So I will probably need closed cans. Portability (though preferred) is not an essential quality for me. Thusfar, I only managed to audition the open AKG K240, and found these lacking bass and leaking way to much sound (loving sound stage and mids), and the Ultrasone hfi-580 (incredible bass, poor mids/soundstage). From this very little experience I did extract that I like bass but am willing to give up some for mids and highs and a decent soundstage would be nice (relatively for closed cans of course).To sum up I am looking for:

 

- 200 euro

- closed

- above average bass

- little demanding (unamped)

 

Further more I listen mostly to tech-house (gui boratti/ kalkbrenner) and alternative/indy/rock (coldplay/the xx/muse/radiohead).

 

From what I have read so far, which is a lot, I managed to find some potential cans but I am all open to other advices:

 

Ultrasone hfi-780

Ultrasone pro 550/ dj1 pro

Beyerdynamic dt 1350 or t50

Vmoda m-80

Senn hd-25-1 ii

 

Please help..

 

 

post #12572 of 29490

     

     Quote:

Originally Posted by joltter View Post

What's going on guys. Firstly - this is my 1st post ever so bare with me if I sound stupid. I dont feel like going through all the topics so I thought I'd ask my question here.

 

My question is this: I want to buy new over-ear headphones. I'm gonna be using them mostly with my iPhone 4s.

 

I'm willing to pay 300-500$ for the headphones. I know some of you gonna hate me for saying this but Ive had Beats By Dre Studios for about six months now and after doing quite a lot of research Ive found out how over priced they are. In my opinion they are pretty good for hip-hop songs but some other genres simply don't sound good anymore. But anyways back to the topic.

 

What I do love about the Studios is the bass and that's what I'd like to hear with the new headphones too. Pretty much all of my songs are 320kb/s.

 

Ive read some pretty good reviews about Sennheiser HD650s. But I dont wanna spend my money without hearing your opinions too.

 

Thanks for the replies already!

 

 

 

See if you can demo HD650 or any headphone within your price range in some hi-fi audio shop near you. Try before you buy, if you can.  Spending $300-$500 on a pair of headphones before hearing them is a big leap of faith.

 

post #12573 of 29490
@Doubting: go for Denon D2000, you will not be dissapointed
@Almighty: go for Ultrasone pro900, you'll be amazed with it
post #12574 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fool View Post

@Doubting: go for Denon D2000, you will not be dissapointed
 


 

While sound-wise that would be good, physically it's not. While Doubting didn't put portability as a primary concern, from what I read the Denon's needs extra care because the screws that holds the cups are quite... prone to become loose. But I recommend that you take that advice with skepticism and hit up the D2000 appreciation thread and drop a question regarding that, @Doubting.

post #12575 of 29490

 

Hey guys,

I'm looking fort circumaural/supra-aural headphones, at price around 100$ (preferably 100$ being the upper limit - but I am willing to pay slightly above if the difference would be worth it).

I want them for outside use only, so they need to be at least a bit portable (if circumaural, then foldable) . The major criteria is sound quality + isolation.

Music I listen to: Indie, art rock, prog rock, and some electro (namely: Pink Floyd, Radiohead, The Cure, M83, Arcade Fire, The National...)

I used to have koss porta pro, however they are not really comfortable (the pull out hair when not listening) and they are not very durable as well.

Source of sound: Cowon D2/HTC EVO 3D/Sansa Clip +

I was thinking of M50's but since their price is so elevated right now (>140$), they are above the price limit.

Thanx for answers

post #12576 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaki View Post

 

Hey guys,

I'm looking fort circumaural/supra-aural headphones, at price around 100$ (preferably 100$ being the upper limit - but I am willing to pay slightly above if the difference would be worth it).

I want them for outside use only, so they need to be at least a bit portable (if circumaural, then foldable) . The major criteria is sound quality + isolation.

Music I listen to: Indie, art rock, prog rock, and some electro (namely: Pink Floyd, Radiohead, The Cure, M83, Arcade Fire, The National...)

I used to have koss porta pro, however they are not really comfortable (the pull out hair when not listening) and they are not very durable as well.

Source of sound: Cowon D2/HTC EVO 3D/Sansa Clip +

I was thinking of M50's but since their price is so elevated right now (>140$), they are above the price limit.

Thanx for answers


Some of the more recommended alternatives include Shure srh 440, krk kns6400 , Sony 7506. But please note that I only read about them, and never own/heard them. Do you like how the portapro plays your songs? Also have you heard the M50? Your thoughts on those would help someone else gave a more refined recommendation.

 

Also since you're on the look out for portables, this thread should be a great start.

 

P.S.: to the future, I'm sorry if if I mislead in any way.

 

post #12577 of 29490

Thx for your reply. The problem with the ones you mentioned (with the exception of Shures) is that they are not foldable (if I am right - at least according to the pictures at google).

 

Regarding the PortaPro, I was quite happy with those. However, I didn't try any other headphones so far if the original D2 headphones doesn't count (I also tried my GF's SkullCandy but these are not really headphones IMHO, they are more like fashion stuff) 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post


Some of the more recommended alternatives include Shure srh 440, krk kns6400 , Sony 7506. But please note that I only read about them, and never own/heard them. Do you like how the portapro plays your songs? Also have you heard the M50? Your thoughts on those would help someone else gave a more refined recommendation.

 

Also since you're on the look out for portables, this thread should be a great start.

 

P.S.: to the future, I'm sorry if if I mislead in any way.

 



 

 
post #12578 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaki View Post

 

Hey guys,

I'm looking fort circumaural/supra-aural headphones, at price around 100$ (preferably 100$ being the upper limit - but I am willing to pay slightly above if the difference would be worth it).

I want them for outside use only, so they need to be at least a bit portable (if circumaural, then foldable) . The major criteria is sound quality + isolation.

Music I listen to: Indie, art rock, prog rock, and some electro (namely: Pink Floyd, Radiohead, The Cure, M83, Arcade Fire, The National...)

I used to have koss porta pro, however they are not really comfortable (the pull out hair when not listening) and they are not very durable as well.

Source of sound: Cowon D2/HTC EVO 3D/Sansa Clip +

I was thinking of M50's but since their price is so elevated right now (>140$), they are above the price limit.

Thanx for answers


Not great isolation, but I've had the Brainwavz HM3 for about 2 months and they are really good headphones especially at the price they sell for.   I did replace the ear pads with the Shure HPAEC750 replacement pads for a bit more isolation and comfort. (glasses and slightly larger than average ears).  You may want to consider the Incipio f38 since it seems to be another rebrand  of the base Yoga electronics model the Brainwavz HM3 is based on.  I have a pair of the Incipio's on the way to compare for myself, and at $30 I couldn't resist.

 


Edited by shadow419 - 2/29/12 at 7:24am
post #12579 of 29490

Can sumbody please help me?

i want headphones or earphones for listening qwallis of nusrat fateh ali khan

budget upto $500

will use desktop amplifer or portable amplifier in future

my current source is PC nw but will use DAC in future also.

 

HELP

post #12580 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaki View Post

Thx for your reply. The problem with the ones you mentioned (with the exception of Shures) is that they are not foldable (if I am right - at least according to the pictures at google).

 

Regarding the PortaPro, I was quite happy with those. However, I didn't try any other headphones so far if the original D2 headphones doesn't count (I also tried my GF's SkullCandy but these are not really headphones IMHO, they are more like fashion stuff) 
 


Oh sorry about that, didn't realized that. Hmm can't get help much from me, other than that huge portable cans comparison thread. I'd recommend you the CAL because I like it and my portapro, but since you want one that's foldable, the CAL isn't for you. The Phiaton MS300/400 might suit you, but I can't remember the price (I haven't own/heard both of those Phiaton though, so take that as it is). 

 

If you like the Skullcandy, IIRC the aviators are considered rather good from them. Some of the more experienced guys here (namely Tyll, from innerfidelity.com) likes them. I haven't heard/own them too so I suggest you go read up on it if you're interested.

 

Else that's it from me.

 

post #12581 of 29490

I am looking to buy a new pair of headphones and I will be using them on the bus and outdoors so I am thinking a closed pair of headphones would be best unless a pair of open headphones will not leak a lot at med to high volume. The mp3 player I will be using is the Cowon J3 and also the Blackberry Playbook.  I will be listening to rock, opera, Classical, Rap and Country mostly so I am looking for headphones to complement that type of music I will also use this headphone to watch movies on my Playbook.  As a side note the playbook has an Audio Boost option ;) I am also willing to get a portable amp if I could keep it under $600 and the sound quality is good and the amp is small if not then under $500 for the headphones.

post #12582 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubting View Post

Dear all, I am in desperate need of some advice.

 

I have not owned a proper pair of cans before. My only, somewhat decent, sound experience comes from my B&W 603's and have owned semi-ok pair of image s4's. Hence, there is little for me to compare new headphones with. Furthermore, it has proved challenging, to say the least, to find a store where I can demo the cans I'm interested in. Therefore, it would me much appreciated if people with more experience could advice me on my new headphones to be. 

 

I am looking for some cans at around the 200 euro (250-ish dollars?) price mark. They will mostly be used in the library (studying) from my 3GS WITHOUT AMPING INITIALLY, and since I do no want to trouble other people with my music they must be leaking next to no sound. So I will probably need closed cans. Portability (though preferred) is not an essential quality for me. Thusfar, I only managed to audition the open AKG K240, and found these lacking bass and leaking way to much sound (loving sound stage and mids), and the Ultrasone hfi-580 (incredible bass, poor mids/soundstage). From this very little experience I did extract that I like bass but am willing to give up some for mids and highs and a decent soundstage would be nice (relatively for closed cans of course).To sum up I am looking for:

 

- 200 euro

- closed

- above average bass

- little demanding (unamped)

 

Further more I listen mostly to tech-house (gui boratti/ kalkbrenner) and alternative/indy/rock (coldplay/the xx/muse/radiohead).

 

From what I have read so far, which is a lot, I managed to find some potential cans but I am all open to other advices:

 

Ultrasone hfi-780

Ultrasone pro 550/ dj1 pro

Beyerdynamic dt 1350 or t50

Vmoda m-80

Senn hd-25-1 ii

 

Please help..

 

 


If you weren't comfortable with the HFI580s' soundstage, you might not like the 780s either, because they both use the same S-logic soundstage technology. The DJ1 might also have the same issue (though I'm not sure about that, might want to check). The last 3 options are all small supra-aural portables, so if you have issues with the comfort of that, you should consider that. Also, from what I've heard, the Beyers are more analytical than bass, heavy, so you might want to cross that off. Also, the portables might seem a bit closed-in if you're looking for a bigger soundstage, though they're not bad. That being said, I think you might want to look into the Denon D2000s, and though they're not as portable, they do deliver on your other points. 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by vaki View Post

 

Hey guys,

I'm looking fort circumaural/supra-aural headphones, at price around 100$ (preferably 100$ being the upper limit - but I am willing to pay slightly above if the difference would be worth it).

I want them for outside use only, so they need to be at least a bit portable (if circumaural, then foldable) . The major criteria is sound quality + isolation.

Music I listen to: Indie, art rock, prog rock, and some electro (namely: Pink Floyd, Radiohead, The Cure, M83, Arcade Fire, The National...)

I used to have koss porta pro, however they are not really comfortable (the pull out hair when not listening) and they are not very durable as well.

Source of sound: Cowon D2/HTC EVO 3D/Sansa Clip +

I was thinking of M50's but since their price is so elevated right now (>140$), they are above the price limit.

Thanx for answers


For sound and isolation, you might want to look into the Koss DJ100, which has a good reputation as a sub-$100 all-around headphone. Look around for some reviews and impressions on those. The Creative Aurvana Live is another popular choice, but they don't isolate nearly as well, so they probably won't be too good for your needs.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpuri View Post

Can sumbody please help me?

i want headphones or earphones for listening qwallis of nusrat fateh ali khan

budget upto $500

will use desktop amplifer or portable amplifier in future

my current source is PC nw but will use DAC in future also.

 

HELP


Sorry what is that? I'm not familiar with that music. Would you mind telling us a little bit more about what that music sounds like, and what kind of sound signature you're looking for? Also, will you be using these outside at all? (For open v. closed)

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by thoir View Post

I am looking to buy a new pair of headphones and I will be using them on the bus and outdoors so I am thinking a closed pair of headphones would be best unless a pair of open headphones will not leak a lot at med to high volume. The mp3 player I will be using is the Cowon J3 and also the Blackberry Playbook.  I will be listening to rock, opera, Classical, Rap and Country mostly so I am looking for headphones to complement that type of music I will also use this headphone to watch movies on my Playbook.  As a side note the playbook has an Audio Boost option ;) I am also willing to get a portable amp if I could keep it under $600 and the sound quality is good and the amp is small if not then under $500 for the headphones.


Yeah, closed is probably your best bet in this case. Are you looking for something more fun for rock and rap, or something more neutral to complement all your genres equally? Also, how portable do you need them to be?

 

post #12583 of 29490

I have had a pair of 448's so as portable as that is fine and for the amp not too big or bulky something to fit into a pocket so they can go with me.  Yes I would want one that is more neutral but with slightly more bass as long as it is tight :)


Edited by thoir - 2/29/12 at 1:51pm
post #12584 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoir View Post

I have had a pair of 448's so as portable as that is fine and for the amp not too big or bulky something to fit into a pocket so they can go with me.  Yes I would want one that is more neutral but with slightly more bass as long as it is tight :)


Well, on the larger side there are DJ cans like the HFI780 and M50 that are pretty v-shaped, but not complete basshead cans Going even larger there's the Denon D2000/5000, which are fairly bassy, but also have a reputation for all-around listening. On the more neutral side, there's the HM5 and SRH840/940, which might not have that extra bass kick. On the more portable side there's the HD25-1, M80, DT1350, etc. The first two are more on the bassy side, and soundstage could be an issue. I recommend you do some more research into the ones that sound interesting and see how well they fit your needs.

 

post #12585 of 29490

Thank you guys for your answers. I think that one of these can work: Koss DjPro100, Brainwavz HM3/F-004/Incipio f38 and  Shure srh 440.

 

I'm also thinking of Denon DN-HP700 (maybe the hottest choice so far) and Ultrasone HFI-450/Yamaha RH10MS. 

 

Which of these would you recommend?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum