Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 833  

post #12481 of 29490

Thanks the AKG ones look quite good; I've heard a lot of good things about them. Is the tightness adjustable? I'd rather it not clamp down too hard.

post #12482 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50an6xy06r6n View Post


If you thought the Q701s were to bassy (never heard that before...), maybe something like the SRH940 or AD900 could work, as I heard those are more treble-oriented. See if you can find some comparisons to gauge their sound compared to the Q701s.

The mids were definitely more of a bass oriented headphone... I just found that sometimes the bass guitar would overpower the other instruments, sometimes even the singer.

There's a Denon Ahd2000 on Amazon for $220, is it more of a bass oriented headphone as well?

post #12483 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaidynM View Post

Thanks the AKG ones look quite good; I've heard a lot of good things about them. Is the tightness adjustable? I'd rather it not clamp down too hard.


The tightness isn't directly adjustable, but the standard practice to deal with that is to keep it stretched out over a box overnight. It doesn't do miracles, but it works.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post

The mids were definitely more of a bass oriented headphone... I just found that sometimes the bass guitar would overpower the other instruments, sometimes even the singer.

There's a Denon Ahd2000 on Amazon for $220, is it more of a bass oriented headphone as well?


The D2000s are definitely going to be more bassy than the Q701s, yeah.

 

post #12484 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50an6xy06r6n View Post

The D2000s are definitely going to be more bassy than the Q701s, yeah.

 



Could you also recommend me any 'phones around $400? Preferably that don't need an amp?

post #12485 of 29490

Are the Monster Miles Davis Tribute/Trumpet a good pair of earphones for listening to rock/metal/the occasional pop? I know it's overpriced, but my friend lives a few hours from me and is asking me if I'm interested (so, i might get it for 150-200).  

post #12486 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbztract View Post

What's the best set of headphones I can get $200~ that will be good with FPS games and hip hop music?
cheers, Abz biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthem View Post

@abbztract
I'd say the m-50. They have good SQ and great bass. The soundstaging is good, but because their closed back it's not great for gaming. Audio technica's ATH-700 is a popular gaming headphone due to their incredible soundstaging, but their very bass shy. Personally I'd go for the m-50s

That's exactly what I was intending to grab but apparently it's soundstage and positional accuracy aren't good enough for FPS games frown.gif
That's also what I've heard about the Ultrasone HFI580 and 780 frown.gif

TO ANYONE: Is there anything that performs like an M50 for music but is better for FPS gaming for about $200??
Edited by abbztract - 2/26/12 at 11:44pm
post #12487 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mem View Post

I feel like I'm ready to move to some cans. My criteria:

 
Good quality, balanced sound. Yes to bass for when I want it, but no to muddy and artificial bass boost.
£250 or less
Detachable cord
Closed-back
Stylish - I know this is down to the individual, but I love AKG Q/K701's and Grados looks-wise (shame they're all open back).
 
Closest I've found to ticking all boxes so far are AKG K271 Mk2's, but some say they're only good for acoustic music. Also found the Ultrasone Pro 550s after reading some threads on here.
 
My music taste is eclectic to say the least. It's not unusual for me to move from dirty dubstep to some Chopin depending on how my mood changes, hence a need for balanced phones.
 
Source will mostly be my iPhone 4 (sorry), and I will couple my new buy with a Fiio E11+L3.
 
Thanks.
Bump? O_o


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12488 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post

The mids were definitely more of a bass oriented headphone... I just found that sometimes the bass guitar would overpower the other instruments, sometimes even the singer.

There's a Denon Ahd2000 on Amazon for $220, is it more of a bass oriented headphone as well?


I would not recognize the Q 701 from you description.  Through what were you playing it? 

 

The d2000 is another great headphone, but has much more bass (plus sub bass) over the Q701. 

 

Maybe you should be looking at an Audio TechnicaATH-A900 Audiophile Closed-Back Dynamic Headphone.

 

post #12489 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mem View Post


Bump? O_o
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


AKG makes the AKG Acoustics K550 Closed-Back Reference Headphone.  I don't know much about, but I know that it has been discussed on this forum.  Here's some basic poop on it from J & R:

 

http://www.jr.com/akg-acoustics/pe/AKG_K550/#productTabDetails

 

post #12490 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post



Could you also recommend me any 'phones around $400? Preferably that don't need an amp?


Well, I already suggested the SRH940 and the Audio Technica open cans (AD700/900, etc)... Most of the stuff up at that price will likely either need an amp or like one to sound their best, btw.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniWumbo View Post

Are the Monster Miles Davis Tribute/Trumpet a good pair of earphones for listening to rock/metal/the occasional pop? I know it's overpriced, but my friend lives a few hours from me and is asking me if I'm interested (so, i might get it for 150-200).  


First, Tribute or Trumpet? Those are two different models. Second, regarding the Tributes, ljokerl seems to like them ok, and says they're "warm and bassy," and they could be a good deal at that price. Go check out his IEM review thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-225-iems-compared-id-america-spark-ue-super-fi-4-added-02-26-12

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by abbztract View Post


That's exactly what I was intending to grab but apparently it's soundstage and positional accuracy aren't good enough for FPS games :(
That's also what I've heard about the Ultrasone HFI580 and 780 :(
TO ANYONE: Is there anything that performs like an M50 for music but is better for FPS gaming for about $200??


Sorry, but I don't think you'll get a whole lot more out of this thread... Maybe you could just buy a pair and see how you like it? They say experience is the best teacher. biggrin.gif

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mem View Post


Bump? O_o
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Already answered this earlier, I think I recommended the Brainwavz HM5.

 

post #12491 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50an6xy06r6n View Post




Well, that's a bit more bass-heavy, and you requested something with mids and treble as well...



Can you list out a few more over ear headphones in that range that's good? Thanks a lot.
post #12492 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandedBow View Post


Can you list out a few more over ear headphones in that range that's good? Thanks a lot.


Well, most headphones will have at least as much bass as the Q701s, so the selection is a bit more limited. Honestly, I don't know a lot more besides the ones I already listed. The FA-003/HM5 is another option for neutral, I guess, and the K701/702 are supposed to have a slightly different tonal balance from the Q701s. Perhaps some Beyers are more bass-light as well.

post #12493 of 29490

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


AKG makes the AKG Acoustics K550 Closed-Back Reference Headphone.  I don't know much about, but I know that it has been discussed on this forum.  Here's some basic poop on it from J & R:

 

http://www.jr.com/akg-acoustics/pe/AKG_K550/#productTabDetails

 


The K550's are nice, but don't have detachable cable, which pretty much rules them out for me.

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by 50an6xy06r6n View Post

 

Already answered this earlier, I think I recommended the Brainwavz HM5.

 


Sorry, I missed that. Yea, I've looked at these, but like you said I'm not sure they're going to provide enough oomf when I'm listening to electronic music. I also prefer single-entry for cables rather than double.

 

Are the Ultrasone Pro 550 and AKG K271 mkII really my only options? I'm tempted to just get the Q701s and screw everyone else on the train and in the office.


Edited by Mem - 2/27/12 at 1:52am
post #12494 of 29490

sorry for asking this again, but last time I didn't really get a clear answer, I really appreciated the time the poster took to reply to me though. So thank you! 

but my question was:

SONY MDR-ZX-700 or CAL! 

I've heard the sq of the zx-700 and I liked it a lot. the sq of the CAL! is unknown to me, I've never heard it. 

other members say they like the sq, but is it better than the sq of the zx-700? 

and if it's not THAT much better, I'd rather go for the zx-700, because the zx-700 is available in a local store, the CAL! isn't... 

post #12495 of 29490

Generally, how do IEMS compare to headphones?  For argument's sake, let's assume that they are both unamped and the IEMs and headphones are low-mid price range (Example: ATH-M50 vs. maybe the HJE900?).  From my perspective (general public, I guess), I would imagine that a headphone would usually have better bass and sound due to the larger drivers, but that might not be true.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum