or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 827  

post #12391 of 29490

Hey! I'm not exactly an audiophile, but I like my music and want something decent to listen to it on. I've got a budget of about £60, and have been looking at all sorts of phones.

 

I listen to literally anything and everything, so I'm looking for something that'll sound ok for most types of music.

 

From reading reviews and just shopping around on the internet, the ones I've found that seem to fit the requirements are the Sennheiser HD215's, or Sony XB500's. Could anyone give me any other ideas for my budget, or opinions on the two above?

 

Thanks!


Edited by jimmyd93 - 2/24/12 at 7:36am
post #12392 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50an6xy06r6n View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinoob005 View Post

Hello, are there any users who have listened to BeyerDynamic DTX710/910? I want some bassy circumaural headphones, i have my eyes on the sony xb500 but i understand that the mids and highs are rolled off, so i would like to know how are the BD's in general, and if they have enough bass. Tx.


Never heard of the Beyers, but an alternative could be the CAL!s, or the K81s, if you're willing to go on-ear. The XB500s do indeed tend to roll off at the midrange and treble, and so might not be the best choice if you're not looking for only bass.

 

Thanks for the suggestions, and i have one more question: how do the CAL!s perform in the low frequencies with fast techno and and electronica, from what i read they don't do so well unelss they are amped, am i right? Also, do you think the sony's and K81's will suffice with fast low low frequency music?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd93 View Post

Hey! I'm not exactly an audiophile, but I like my music and want something decent to listen to it on. I've got a budget of about £60, and have been looking at all sorts of phones.

 

I listen to literally anything and everything, so I'm looking for something that'll sound ok for most types of music.

 

From reading reviews and just shopping around on the internet, the ones I've found that seem to fit the requirements are the Sennheiser HD215's, or Sony XB500's. Could anyone give me any other ideas for my budget, or opinions on the two above?

 

Thanks!

 

Don't get the HD215's, they perform poorly when it comes to sound.


Edited by hifinoob005 - 2/24/12 at 9:14am
post #12393 of 29490


Quote:

Originally Posted by abbztract View Post


Is the bass enough for footsteps and boomy explosions? And guessing by the reputation of the 780, the soundstage allows pinpointing the direction of the sounds to a certain extent?
Umm...some bloke on avsforums: "They are the worst headphones that i've owned for gaming. Great detail but horrible soundstage. When used with Dolby Headphone, i could not judge the sound distance at all." Anything creditable in this statement??


I am listening to my 780s right now, I haven't heard the 580s, but you would never catch me saying the 780s don't have enough bass. They have plenty, quite enough IMO. Some bassheads find them boring compared to the 580s, but I think they are fantastic in detail and clarity. All that said, I wouldn't suggest them for gaming and haven't heard many others speak highly of them for that. I don't know about 'the worst headphones that I've owned for gaming' you can rarely trust those kinds of extreme statements about anything, but I wouldn't recommend them for that use.

post #12394 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by emericanchaos View Post

I need a comparo.  I'm really oogling the K601's.  I'm looking at graphs and fresponse seems very similar to DT880's.  Anyone have first hand on these two?  i love beyer comfort.

 

then again, I'm wondering if i should go back to where i was and get 990's with a better source and similar or better amp.

 

my last post.  mostly posting this to show my music taste.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596597/recommend-some-cans#post_8167402


I can't really comment on sound, but I've heard that the K601s can be very hard to drive. And just curious, why did you rule out Grados? It seems like you listen to a lot of metal.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbztract View Post


Is the bass enough for footsteps and boomy explosions? And guessing by the reputation of the 780, the soundstage allows pinpointing the direction of the sounds to a certain extent?
Umm...some bloke on avsforums: "They are the worst headphones that i've owned for gaming. Great detail but horrible soundstage. When used with Dolby Headphone, i could not judge the sound distance at all." Anything creditable in this statement??


It'll probably have enough bass for explosions and such. I can't really tell you a whole lot more about gaming capabilities and such, and I suggest you go over to the Headphone Gaming thread.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuudles View Post

Hi, I asked for advice yesterday, someone suggested the Ultrasone 780's, and I read up on them and added them to my list.

 

First off I am a very noob audiophile, that is why I come here for advice. I live in South Africa and the number of stores where I can go and try out different cans are limited to say the least. I plan to ask my parents to bring me a pair of cans from the USA when they come to SA in April.

 

So now my list looks as follows:

 - Ultrasone HFi 780

 - Fischer Audio FA-003

 - Beyerdynamic DT770 (32 or 80ohm)

 

From everything I read I think the Denon D2000 would be perfect for me, if not maybe a little bassy, BUT they are out of my price range as I simply cannot justify spending so much on them. I also included the ATH-M50s on my list but it seems many are opposed to them and saying at their current price ($160-ish) they are not nearly as class-leading as they were at $100-120.

 

Attributes I value:

 - comfortable (will have them on for long stratches, plan to use them at work so roughly 8hours a day)

 - durable (I want to be able to use them for working hours for the next 5+ years, I look after my gear and will never walk around with them on)

 - closed (isolation as I work in a very open plan office)

 - high SQ without being super bass heavy (I use Grado SR80i's for 3+ years now and like their sound a lot but they have obvious drawbacks in such an open environment)

 - relatively understated looks (this is another plus to the Denon, and probably what puts me off the shiny Ultrasones the most)

 - driven relatively easily (plan to use my phone - a droid RAZR, but I am also quite keen to build a DIY amp later on as I enjoy DIY challenges)

 

From what I understand the DT770s are maybe a bit too bassy for my liking, the frequency response of the Ultrasones and my SR80s look very similar to my relatively untrained eye (obviously the Grados will have a very different soundstage).

 

The FA-003 look quite nice to me, they look quite understated like the Denon's. I also quite like the fact that you get an additional set of cushions + a cable that is easily user replacable (as I plan to use them for 5+ years). They also look quite light and others say they are very comfortable so wearing them for hours on end should be a breeze. I see the FA-003's have a big dip midway through their frequency response graphs, can such a dip be eq'ed out? I dont necessarily want a super flat curve (as I said I like the sound of my Grado's)

 

Thanks!


The FA-003/HM5 seems like a good choice, but as long as you realize they tend towards a neutral sound signature. The Beyers are another option, but I don't know a ton about their sound quality.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Matter View Post

Hi guys,

need a little friendly advice here.

 

Might be looking to start on my home rig now that I've more of less settled my portable one.

I'm having trouble deciding on a headphone that fits me because there are so many!

If it helps, previous IEMs I've owned are tf10, sm3v2, 4R and I like all of them for the strengths.

 

I've recently tried on the Senn HD600, HD650, AKG 702 and found the 600 to be more to my liking.

Comfort and sound signature wise. However, as the store only has ibasso portable amps, I feel like the amp was not powering the headphones with authority and all of the headphones sounded so weak so I'm not sure if that might have affected my decision that I prefer the 600 over the rest.

 

Also, any recommendations for other headphones I should try the next time I visit the hi-fi store?

Budget isn't really an issue and I just want it to be good.

Factors important to me include, comfort(since I wear it often and for long durations), earpads have to be durable, open or closed doesn't matter and I'm looking to purchase a good desktop amp to complement my headphones it does not have to be easy to drive.

 

Lastly, any top of the line models that I should look out for with a sound signature that is close to the 600 maybe?

 

 

Thank you!


This is probably impractical, but you might just want to go listen to all the top-tiers (there's not a ton of them) to see which one fits you better. Sorry, I don't really have any experience with top-tiers... 

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurd View Post

sorry for this, I keep asking for more advice, but I really wanna be sure :|

so I've also found the sennheiser 205-II. it's 45 euros. the creative aurvana live 60+ euros (internet site from abroad..) and the audio technica t300 50 euros

the AKG-K81 wire is too long for portable use, which can be quite irritating. 


I'd say go for the CAL!s, as they have the most solid reputation. Don't know about the 205s, but the above poster doesn't seem to like them, and I doubt the mkII will be all that much better. Never heard about the T300 either. Just FYI, I think the 518LE version of the K81s has a shorter cord.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd93 View Post

Hey! I'm not exactly an audiophile, but I like my music and want something decent to listen to it on. I've got a budget of about £60, and have been looking at all sorts of phones.

 

I listen to literally anything and everything, so I'm looking for something that'll sound ok for most types of music.

 

From reading reviews and just shopping around on the internet, the ones I've found that seem to fit the requirements are the Sennheiser HD215's, or Sony XB500's. Could anyone give me any other ideas for my budget, or opinions on the two above?

 

Thanks!


The Xb500 are heavily focused on bass, to the point where the midrange and treble tend to be a bit muffled. I'd recommend the CAL for general music listening.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinoob005 View Post

 

Thanks for the suggestions, and i have one more question: how do the CAL!s perform in the low frequencies with fast techno and and electronica, from what i read they don't do so well unelss they are amped, am i right? Also, do you think the sony's and K81's will suffice with fast low low frequency music?

 

 

Don't get the HD215's, they perform poorly when it comes to sound.


I don't think the CAL! really need amping, as they're consumer-oriented, though they may improve with amping. I imagine they'll work pretty well with techno and electronica,  but beyond that, you'll have to ask someone who's heard them. The K81s might also work, but my impression of the XB500s was that they felt a little slow. 

 

post #12395 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuudles View Post

Hi, I asked for advice yesterday, someone suggested the Ultrasone 780's, and I read up on them and added them to my list.

 

First off I am a very noob audiophile, that is why I come here for advice. I live in South Africa and the number of stores where I can go and try out different cans are limited to say the least. I plan to ask my parents to bring me a pair of cans from the USA when they come to SA in April.

 

So now my list looks as follows:

 - Ultrasone HFi 780

 - Fischer Audio FA-003

 - Beyerdynamic DT770 (32 or 80ohm)

 

From everything I read I think the Denon D2000 would be perfect for me, if not maybe a little bassy, BUT they are out of my price range as I simply cannot justify spending so much on them. I also included the ATH-M50s on my list but it seems many are opposed to them and saying at their current price ($160-ish) they are not nearly as class-leading as they were at $100-120.

 

Attributes I value:

 - comfortable (will have them on for long stratches, plan to use them at work so roughly 8hours a day)

 - durable (I want to be able to use them for working hours for the next 5+ years, I look after my gear and will never walk around with them on)

 - closed (isolation as I work in a very open plan office)

 - high SQ without being super bass heavy (I use Grado SR80i's for 3+ years now and like their sound a lot but they have obvious drawbacks in such an open environment)

 - relatively understated looks (this is another plus to the Denon, and probably what puts me off the shiny Ultrasones the most)

 - driven relatively easily (plan to use my phone - a droid RAZR, but I am also quite keen to build a DIY amp later on as I enjoy DIY challenges)

 

From what I understand the DT770s are maybe a bit too bassy for my liking, the frequency response of the Ultrasones and my SR80s look very similar to my relatively untrained eye (obviously the Grados will have a very different soundstage).

 

The FA-003 look quite nice to me, they look quite understated like the Denon's. I also quite like the fact that you get an additional set of cushions + a cable that is easily user replacable (as I plan to use them for 5+ years). They also look quite light and others say they are very comfortable so wearing them for hours on end should be a breeze. I see the FA-003's have a big dip midway through their frequency response graphs, can such a dip be eq'ed out? I dont necessarily want a super flat curve (as I said I like the sound of my Grado's)

 

Thanks!




The FA-003 or clone Brainwavz HM5 seems the best choice given what you have written above.  They are also the hardest to get.  You might might want check this out:

 

http://mp4nation.net/catalog/brainwavz-hm5-studio-monitor-headphones-preorder-p-663.html

 

The DT 770 is not as efficient as the others and is a bit bass heavy for you.

 

You don't like the look of the Ultrasone.

post #12396 of 29490

Hi all!

 

I am new to the site and also new to this headphone thing.

 

Actually I didn't feel any need to buy a headphone until I listened to Adele. Or maybe she just stimulated my interest in music and I decided to buy a good headphone.

 

I don't have strict borders about the genre of music. For instance I love listening singers like Adele (acoustic - pop - soul) but I also like listening to Muse (alternative rock). I listen anything that sounds good to me.

 

I want your help, because I read lots of reviews etc. but I get more confused. I can go up to 75 dollars.

 

I looked up at Philips SHO8801 http://www.testfreaks.com/headphones-headsets/philips-sho8801/  and Philips SHO9560 http://www.testfreaks.com/headphones-headsets/philips-sho9560/

 

To be honest if I am going to buy an electronic device, I always prefer the brands which are specialized in that area. That is why I'm a bit hesitant to buy Philips. For example, I would prefer a Sennheiser but I live in Turkey and they are way expensive than on USA - Amazon etc.

 

I really appreciate any help! 

 

Thanks!

 

 

post #12397 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by alptekinyilmaze View Post

Hi all!

 

I am new to the site and also new to this headphone thing.

 

Actually I didn't feel any need to buy a headphone until I listened to Adele. Or maybe she just stimulated my interest in music and I decided to buy a good headphone.

 

I don't have strict borders about the genre of music. For instance I love listening singers like Adele (acoustic - pop - soul) but I also like listening to Muse (alternative rock). I listen anything that sounds good to me.

 

I want your help, because I read lots of reviews etc. but I get more confused. I can go up to 75 dollars.

 

I looked up at Philips SHO8801 http://www.testfreaks.com/headphones-headsets/philips-sho8801/  and Philips SHO9560 http://www.testfreaks.com/headphones-headsets/philips-sho9560/

 

To be honest if I am going to buy an electronic device, I always prefer the brands which are specialized in that area. That is why I'm a bit hesitant to buy Philips. For example, I would prefer a Sennheiser but I live in Turkey and they are way expensive than on USA - Amazon etc.

 

I really appreciate any help! 

 

Thanks!

 

 


Well, what brands can you get in Turkey? The Philips Stretch model (I think it's that second one) has gotten some decent reviews, but mostly for usability, not for sound quality. If you can get the Creative Aurvana Lives or Koss DJ100 where you live, those are two good choices for all-around cans in your price range. 

 

post #12398 of 29490

Thanks for the answer!

 

1- I can get many brands in Turkey but sometimes I can't find the model.

 

2- Yes, the second one is said to be very comfortable, pretty good isolation but lower sound quality.

 

3- I will give you an example about how 'high' are the prices.

 

          http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA Creative Aurvana Live 72.89$ on Amazon

          137$ in Turkey

          http://www.amazon.com/Koss-ProDJ100-Headphones/dp/B003X1BEKI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330120959&sr=8-1 Koss DJ100              

          79$ in Amazon, 114$ in Turkey

 

Moreover, I could be in USA in August, probably I am going to study my masters in USC and I think about buying something cheaper, at least on the same level with USA prices. I do not want to give a lot more money to a headphone than it deserves. Could you give me another suggestions based on these parameters :) ?

post #12399 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by alptekinyilmaze View Post

Thanks for the answer!

 

1- I can get many brands in Turkey but sometimes I can't find the model.

 

2- Yes, the second one is said to be very comfortable, pretty good isolation but lower sound quality.

 

3- I will give you an example about how 'high' are the prices.

 

          http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA Creative Aurvana Live 72.89$ on Amazon

          137$ in Turkey

          http://www.amazon.com/Koss-ProDJ100-Headphones/dp/B003X1BEKI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330120959&sr=8-1 Koss DJ100              

          79$ in Amazon, 114$ in Turkey

 

Moreover, I could be in USA in August, probably I am going to study my masters in USC and I think about buying something cheaper, at least on the same level with USA prices. I do not want to give a lot more money to a headphone than it deserves. Could you give me another suggestions based on these parameters :) ?


Well, just so I have an idea o your options, could you name some brands? And yeah, I agree that the CAL!s are probably not worth $140. The Koss may be a decent buy at that price, though, but that's probably debatable. Also, how much would you pay for the Philips headphones?

 

post #12400 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50an6xy06r6n View Post


Well, just so I have an idea o your options, could you name some brands? And yeah, I agree that the CAL!s are probably not worth $140. The Koss may be a decent buy at that price, though, but that's probably debatable. Also, how much would you pay for the Philips headphones?

 



Okay, I try to put some brands. Sony, Philips, AKG, Audio-Technica, Creative, Denon, Superlux, Koss, Shure, Ultrasone, Panasonic. Not sure about the models and prices but I see them on some internet shops.

 

http://www.testfreaks.com/headphones-headsets/philips-sho8801/ Philips SHO8801 is 28$ in Amazon - 36$ in Turkey

 

Interestingly I found two different SHO9560s. What is the difference? Or is there a difference? I also see very different prices in Turkey too, I do not want to buy the wrong one or a fake one.

 

One is SHO9560/28 and is 65$ in Amazon-USA, I saw 59$ in Turkey? It doesn't seem pretty normal.

 

 

 

The other is SHO9560/28 £79(125$ if I am not wrong) in Amazon-UK

 

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHO9560-28-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B003VNKKUS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330124520&sr=8-1 Philips SHO9560/28 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SHO9560-10-Headband-Headphones/dp/B003YFIU64  Philips SHO9560/10

post #12401 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by alptekinyilmaze View Post



Okay, I try to put some brands. Sony, Philips, AKG, Audio-Technica, Creative, Denon, Superlux, Koss, Shure, Ultrasone, Panasonic. Not sure about the models and prices but I see them on some internet shops.

 

http://www.testfreaks.com/headphones-headsets/philips-sho8801/ Philips SHO8801 is 28$ in Amazon - 36$ in Turkey

 

Interestingly I found two different SHO9560s. What is the difference? Or is there a difference? I also see very different prices in Turkey too, I do not want to buy the wrong one or a fake one.

 

One is SHO9560/28 and is 65$ in Amazon-USA, I saw 59$ in Turkey? It doesn't seem pretty normal.

 

 

 

The other is SHO9560/28 £79(125$ if I am not wrong) in Amazon-UK

 

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHO9560-28-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B003VNKKUS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330124520&sr=8-1 Philips SHO9560/28 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SHO9560-10-Headband-Headphones/dp/B003YFIU64  Philips SHO9560/10


The different prices for the SHO9560 I think are because one is Amazon.co.uk, while the other is on the U.S. Amazon. $59 is probably a pretty good deal on them, esp. since it seems to be cheaper than in the U.S. I don't really think the other one is a very good deal tbh, but I don't know a whole lot about that model. Maybe get the Philips for now, and upgrade when you come stateside?

 

post #12402 of 29490

just bought a HM5, I want a good fullsize to comliment my hm5 with a full fun yet audiophile quality sound sig (aka big but controlled bass) around 3-500 dollars. closed or open doesnt matter, i have a marantz reciever i can use to amplify the phones. so probably a can with a u or v shaped frequency response. thanks!

post #12403 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplashArtist View Post

just bought a HM5, I want a good fullsize to comliment my hm5 with a full fun yet audiophile quality sound sig (aka big but controlled bass) around 3-500 dollars. closed or open doesnt matter, i have a marantz reciever i can use to amplify the phones. so probably a can with a u or v shaped frequency response. thanks!


I'd probably recommend the Denon D2000/5000.

 

post #12404 of 29490

I have a question that isn't too much about headphones.., but where do most of you get your music files from?  I've been thinking of getting music from either Amazon or iTunes, but which is better overall?  They are mostly at 256 kps, I believe on both sites.  Is there a difference?  I know CDs usually have better quality, but I don't have the time to do that.  Thanks!

post #12405 of 29490

Hi Everyone,

 

 

New to this forum, but there is some great info,

 

im looking to upgrade from these ****ty stock apple head phones to something alot better,,  

 

im currently looking at ibeats by dre, Monster Jamz and Skullcandy 50/50s 

 

I want a in ear head phone that packs alot of bass ( as i listen to alot of dub step, electro, heavy bass music) 

 

Ideally in the 100-150 price bracket..... reply on this Thread or message me personally would be great.

 

:)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum