or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 811  

post #12151 of 29490

I did not see a thread like this in the "Portable" section so I'll ask here. I've been looking at ljokerl "shootout" list and I think I'm pretty close to making a buy. Any other recommendations would be appreciated, but these are the two I'm looking at. My budget is under a 100 with preferences lying under isolation and portability given I'll be using these everywhere from my macbook to my cell phone (Mytouch 4g).

 

Ultrasone HFI-450 

Sony MDR-V6

 

In terms of music, I don't wanna call myself a "bass" person, but I do enjoy a strong bump in rap songs (Eminem, Dre, Kanye). On the flip side, I listen to rock just as much (Oasis, Offspring) so hearing the other instruments in their full clarity among the "little things" you wouldn't hear with cheap headphones is what I enjoy as well. So yeah, if those two aren't good for what I want, I don't mind hearing recommendations =).

post #12152 of 29490

Are the B&W P5's worth $250? Some people say they are overpriced. Do they leak a lot of sound? What about compared to ATH-PRO700MK2.

post #12153 of 29490

 

Hey everybody, I am looking to buy a good new pair of cans.

 

What I am looking for:

Over-ear, circumaural is preferred (the style of the Grado sr125i's work too, but not sure how much they leak)

Price range $400 or less

Not using an amp, so a can that sounds great without an amp

Good strong bass, but clean and not overpowering (beats are way overpowered bass)

I am going to be using them in public so leakage is not preferred, but I can deal with some

Comfortable so I can wear them for hours without ear fatigue

Not too experienced with this whole deal, so Im not sure what I want in terms of mids and highs, but as long as you can differentiate the notes well and hear the music clean and well sounding

 

What kind of music I listen to:

Pretty much everything: dance, hip hop, rap, rock, some alternative

(examples: Avicii, Linkin Park, Blink-182, Bruce Springsteen, Lupe Fiasco, Skrillex, Dispatch, Eminem, pretty much everything besides classical and country)

 

Headphones that I have narrowed it down to based on this sites' suggestions:

I really do not have a place to try these on so I have to go by your suggestions:

 

Denon D2000 - A lot of people have recommended these as they have good bass, but do they still maintain the quality of others with less bass. I have also heard some design flaws with the screw and the cord. Has anyone else had this problem?

HFI780/M50s - These are both much cheaper, but I do not know much about them. I read the review comparing the two above and he said that he likes the HFIs better, but that some complain about comfortability. 

 

Conclusion:

I am up for new suggestions if you think they fit my preferences better than the ones I mentioned, but I am really looking for the best all around performer in the areas I mentioned above. I listen to a lot of music, so it is hard to encompass all my likes into one headphone, but I hope you can help me narrow it down to one. I tried to supply all the information I could and I hope it is enough. 

 

I am hoping this is the last time I have to post and that you guys can help me pin down one that would work best for me.

 

Best sound! Most comfortable! Cleanest and strongest bass!

 

Thanks in advance for your help.

 

post #12154 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup a loop View Post

 

Hey everybody, I am looking to buy a good new pair of cans.

 

What I am looking for:

Over-ear, circumaural is preferred (the style of the Grado sr125i's work too, but not sure how much they leak)

Price range $400 or less

Not using an amp, so a can that sounds great without an amp

Good strong bass, but clean and not overpowering (beats are way overpowered bass)

I am going to be using them in public so leakage is not preferred, but I can deal with some

Comfortable so I can wear them for hours without ear fatigue

Not too experienced with this whole deal, so Im not sure what I want in terms of mids and highs, but as long as you can differentiate the notes well and hear the music clean and well sounding

 

What kind of music I listen to:

Pretty much everything: dance, hip hop, rap, rock, some alternative

(examples: Avicii, Linkin Park, Blink-182, Bruce Springsteen, Lupe Fiasco, Skrillex, Dispatch, Eminem, pretty much everything besides classical and country)

 

Headphones that I have narrowed it down to based on this sites' suggestions:

I really do not have a place to try these on so I have to go by your suggestions:

 

Denon D2000 - A lot of people have recommended these as they have good bass, but do they still maintain the quality of others with less bass. I have also heard some design flaws with the screw and the cord. Has anyone else had this problem?

HFI780/M50s - These are both much cheaper, but I do not know much about them. I read the review comparing the two above and he said that he likes the HFIs better, but that some complain about comfortability. 

 

Conclusion:

I am up for new suggestions if you think they fit my preferences better than the ones I mentioned, but I am really looking for the best all around performer in the areas I mentioned above. I listen to a lot of music, so it is hard to encompass all my likes into one headphone, but I hope you can help me narrow it down to one. I tried to supply all the information I could and I hope it is enough. 

 

I am hoping this is the last time I have to post and that you guys can help me pin down one that would work best for me.

 

Best sound! Most comfortable! Cleanest and strongest bass!

 

Thanks in advance for your help.

 

 Do you need them to be portable or would this be for pretty stationary listening?
 

 

post #12155 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by scohen158 View Post

 Do you need them to be portable or would this be for pretty stationary listening?
 

 



It would be better if they are portable, but I would not want to lose any quality to compensate for being portable. My priority is definitely sound over portability.

post #12156 of 29490

Well I will recommend the Ultrasone HFI-780's they are low enough impedence that my Sansa Clip + was able to drive at an acceptable level but I will say that a dac/amp solution will improve them noticeably. They isolate very well just tested with my brother and with them as loud as I would ever consider listening to them I can really only hear them if I get right next to them. I have "Normal" sized ears and head so I don't notice any issues with the comfort except the band pad on top of the head I almost think they would be better without that pad. They are well built and clamp well enough to be portable.

 

At the price the sell for you could buy them and a usb dac/amp and have cash left. These work well with the music listed especially the Eminem, Skrillex, Linkin Park, Avicii. 

 

Other headphones to consider would be Denon 2000 more comfortable, less isolation, a lot less portable as they don't clamp much at all they can be "driven" from a portable but really shine with a quality amp/dac. You can also consider the Ultrasone HFI-580 (bassier than the 780) not as good in the mids and highs. Lastly the Ultrasone Pro 900's but not sure how they sound unamped.

 

Just a warning once you get a taste of nice headphones you'll be hungry for more.

post #12157 of 29490

 

 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by scohen158 View Post

 Do you need them to be portable or would this be for pretty stationary listening?
 

 



 

 

Quote:
It would be better if they are portable, but I would not want to lose any quality to compensate for being portable. My priority is definitely sound over portability.

I also could buy a fiio e6 amp if that would affect any of those headphones to improve them if you think that would help.

 

Sorry, see the other post that I responded to you with.

 

 


Edited by Soup a loop - 2/15/12 at 8:28pm
post #12158 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by scohen158 View Post

Well I will recommend the Ultrasone HFI-780's they are low enough impedence that my Sansa Clip + was able to drive at an acceptable level but I will say that a dac/amp solution will improve them noticeably. They isolate very well just tested with my brother and with them as loud as I would ever consider listening to them I can really only hear them if I get right next to them. I have "Normal" sized ears and head so I don't notice any issues with the comfort except the band pad on top of the head I almost think they would be better without that pad. They are well built and clamp well enough to be portable.

 

At the price the sell for you could buy them and a usb dac/amp and have cash left. These work well with the music listed especially the Eminem, Skrillex, Linkin Park, Avicii. 

 

Other headphones to consider would be Denon 2000 more comfortable, less isolation, a lot less portable as they don't clamp much at all they can be "driven" from a portable but really shine with a quality amp/dac. You can also consider the Ultrasone HFI-580 (bassier than the 780) not as good in the mids and highs. Lastly the Ultrasone Pro 900's but not sure how they sound unamped.

 

Just a warning once you get a taste of nice headphones you'll be hungry for more.


What amp would you recommend? The fiio e6 seems reasonably priced and I've seen it talked about on here. I will mostly be using it with an iphone so getting the thing to connect that to the ipod and the amp is pretty cheap and easy if you think that will work. You mentioned the 580s are bassier, does that mean that the 780s do not have good enough bass for artists like avicii and skrillex? The ultrasone pro 900s are a little too pricey for me. 

 

I hope these will be good enough quality headphones to make me very happy for a few years, so I dont have to be hungry for more, but I definitely know what you mean.

 

post #12159 of 29490

Hello, newbie here, i was just about to post a new thread when i saw this one lol.

I'm sort of a basshead, i like bass. A lot. I listen to a lot of dubstep, techno, hip hop/rap and rock. 

 

I'm looking for some headphones with SLAPPING, THUMPING bass. I want it to sound as if i'm sitting in a car with subs. 

I've been doing a lto of Googling, lurking on this site, and lurking Amazon but i feel as if i need a bit more information.

 

So, this site seems to be filled with experienced audiophiles who can help out a non-audiophile. I'm just someone who loves music, but i definitely don't consider myself among the audiophile elite lol. 
 

I'm looking for over the ear OR maybe even on the ear headphones. But no IEMs, as i already have a decent pair for the gym. My Klipsch's do just fine. 

 

My budget is sub 100$ but PREFERABLY sub 70$. 

 

Any help?

post #12160 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup a loop View Post


What amp would you recommend? The fiio e6 seems reasonably priced and I've seen it talked about on here. I will mostly be using it with an iphone so getting the thing to connect that to the ipod and the amp is pretty cheap and easy if you think that will work. You mentioned the 580s are bassier, does that mean that the 780s do not have good enough bass for artists like avicii and skrillex? The ultrasone pro 900s are a little too pricey for me. 

 

I hope these will be good enough quality headphones to make me very happy for a few years, so I dont have to be hungry for more, but I definitely know what you mean.

 

The HFI-780 ($151.90 amazon) are argueably one of the best headphones for artists like Skrillex & Avicii (listening to now) They have plenty of bass just not overwhelming basshead extreme bass. I would suggest the Fiio E7 ($88.60 Amazon) and using the L3 (Line Out Dock) cable  ($3.45 Amazon)to connect your iphone. If you don't like you can return them all. So overall not a huge gamble and at a minimum it would give you a point of reference for describing what you want even more. I love my HFI-780's.
 

 

post #12161 of 29490

What is the best headphone for the least amount of sound leakage for an inexpensive price? I'm on a budget because I plan to buy the Cowon J3 to go with it.

I am interested in the Phiaton PS 320's. How are they?


Edited by Rezound Sound - 2/15/12 at 9:25pm
post #12162 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezound Sound View Post

What is the best headphone for the least amount of sound leakage for an inexpensive price? I'm on a budget because I plan to buy the Cowon J3 to go with it.


Get an IEM. Specifically Etymotic.

 

post #12163 of 29490

Seems you guys missed my Q:

 

Should I buy the

"Monster Turbine Pro Copper Professional In-Ear Speakers" ?

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5734

 

Are they really as good as their reviews? I want to buy a great in ear headphones, but so confused, please help!

 

I listen mainly to Neoclassical Darkwave music, and some hiphop.

 

post #12164 of 29490

It seems mine was missed too....perhaps making a separate thread would be a better idea?

post #12165 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by EboniLM View Post

It seems mine was missed too....perhaps making a separate thread would be a better idea?



Or maybe it's only been 30 minutes and someone with knowledge on your request hasn't viewed the thread.

 

All I can suggest as Basshead phone is the Ultrasone HFI-580 however it is slightly over your budget near $130. I'm sure others will chime in.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum