or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 762  

post #11416 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltron 3030 View Post

Will an iPod touch 4g, a line out cable, and an o2 amp be all I need to get the most out of my beyerdynampic dt 150's?


No experience with the 150's personally, but based on the specs it should work quite well.

post #11417 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini2426 View Post

Do you guys have any suggestions? Any headphones that are comparable with the HD 555's? or should I keep using them or get used to them?


Headphones don't get much lighter than the HD 555s.  Some might be more comfortable in other areas but if the weight is a big problem then you'll have to switch to in-ear monitors or something.

post #11418 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDyse10 View Post

 

Yeah there is a Grado dealer in a neighboring city about 45 mins away and I need to visit there, but I have a feeling I am not going to like the brightness of the Grado's. I also have looked at the D2000 or D5000's and have heard people find them for cheaper prices and I, for the life of me, cannot find where people are finding them.

 

I do like the idea of a headphone that is a bit more of an all-rounder but also does very good at rock.

 

One amp I was looking at was the Schiit Asgard, but then I would also need a DAC. Do you have any other suggestions for a mid-level amp? Also, how much would a separate DAC cost?
 

 


For the D2000s/5000s, check Electronics Expo if you're in the US.  They often have them come up on open box deals, which is how I got mine ($200 for the D2000s).  It showed no signs of ever being used, and others who have used the same deal have said the same.

 

The Asgard is good, but far more amp than the Denons need.  If you like it though, get it by all means.  You can get a pretty darn good DAC (HRT Music Streamer II) for around $150, but something like the Fiio E10 ($80), D3 ($30), or Hifiman HM-101 ($40) would probably also do the trick.  Honestly, the E10 works pretty well with the D2000s - that's what I use, at least.  I've considered getting an Asgard, but I'm not sure it would really add anything.  If anything, I might pick up a more "tubey-sounding" amp to bring out the midrange and tame the highs a little.

 

post #11419 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post

Hey there, I've asked this on another thread and I've kinda been seeing a lot of mixed reactions; well, anyway, I've got my mind set on a pair of AKG Q701s. I currently own a pair of the K240 MKIIs (also Grado SR60is) and these are amazing for the genres of music I like. 99.99% it's all metal, punk and a tiny bit of acoustic on the side. Now, this might be an outrage, AKGs for metal? These things I own are absolutely amazing for progressive, a lot of the cores I listen to and all of the genres in general. Now, I'm obviously not using these headphones right, but after the numerous amounts of headphones I've tried, these are the ones I like the most.

 

What I'm trying to get at is I like the AKG sound signature and I was wondering if I'm screwing myself over buying a pair of AKG Q701s for primarily progressive, death, thrash, classic, punk?



 

post #11420 of 29490

Hey all,

 

Im looking to get a set of good all around around ear headphones

 

I have a set of Sennheiser HD203's and they are great, but I want something more

 

I want something louder, same amount of bass or deeper, and more crisp through the whole sound spectrum.

 

I've had my eye on a few different ones, Sennheiser HD280 Pro, Sony MDR-V6 (and V600), Steelseries 7H USB, Superlux HD660

 

I basically want to stay around the 150 mark or below

 

The SS 7H USB has me interested because it has the sound card which will get rid of the noise that my computer's front jacks have.

 

I also want something that is durable, very long cord, comfortable, and can be used on an iPod/iPhone and still have volume to it, so none that need amps please

 

They will be used for gaming, movies and music (rock/pop/techno/dance/country etc I listen to most anything)

 

Let me know what you think

 

Also since I have gotten this answer a couple places, I have a set of Turtle Beach X11's which are by far the most comfortable headphones Ive worn, but I find that they lack bass when listening to music (even with an EQ)

 


Edited by GreenGiant - 1/26/12 at 4:06pm
post #11421 of 29490

Since the other day when I posted asking for advice I continued reading and looking for a setup to run and I think I have found some possible setups. the Denon D2000, PC350/360, Audio Technica M50 are what I am seeing pretty good reviews on within my price range. Would this be good for music(pretty much all genres), gaming and voice chatting?

 

I was also looking into a DAC/AMP and was thinking about going with the Fiio e17 if they are available when I am making this purchase.

 

I am planning on using these for PC (onboard sound card), PS3, and for an android smart phone in public so I do also want to keep sound bleeding low.

 

Would all these work well together giving a great experience? Could someone also kind of explain how these could be setup with the DAC/AMP?

 

My budget is around $400 would this give me the best performance for my money or would someone suggest any other setup?

 

Also could someone suggest a mic to go with the setup since most do not include a mic built on.

 

 

Thanks for any info provided.

 

Also my friends keep telling me not to do all this and to just get the phones I was thinking about before (Razer Tiamat or the Astro A40's) anything I can do to try to convince them of the quality difference from those to what I will probably be getting?


Edited by Illmatar - 1/26/12 at 4:30pm
post #11422 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post

Hey there, I've asked this on another thread and I've kinda been seeing a lot of mixed reactions; well, anyway, I've got my mind set on a pair of AKG Q701s. I currently own a pair of the K240 MKIIs (also Grado SR60is) and these are amazing for the genres of music I like. 99.99% it's all metal, punk and a tiny bit of acoustic on the side. Now, this might be an outrage, AKGs for metal? These things I own are absolutely amazing for progressive, a lot of the cores I listen to and all of the genres in general. Now, I'm obviously not using these headphones right, but after the numerous amounts of headphones I've tried, these are the ones I like the most.

 

What I'm trying to get at is I like the AKG sound signature and I was wondering if I'm screwing myself over buying a pair of AKG Q701s for primarily progressive, death, thrash, classic, punk?


The Q701s might work.  I think my K601s do well with with metal but not as quite as well as I remember the K701s doing.

post #11423 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathDomokun View Post

I don't know, it's just circumaural cover your ear, so you get a good fit. These sit on your ear, and your ear isn't flat, it goes in and out and varies in flexibility and it just seems like the SQ will naturally be worse because there's no seal. If someone could explain it to me a bit more, please do.


Well, if it's open, you don't really need a seal, so that's not really a problem. Comfort seems to be subjective to a certain extent, since they sit on the ear, but also don't clamp very hard.

 

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailbunny7 View Post

Having realized I posted in the wrong spot, I'll paste my message here:

 

I am newly getting into higher end audio equipment, and need a little advice on what sort of headset I should get for my iPod. I've already got the amp covered, getting one of these: http://www.venturecraft.jp/gadget_en/gd04_all.php

I've also already transferred my music collection into the Apple Lossless format, so I just need some help picking out the last piece. I find I really do not like in-ear headphones, as they often give me headaches (not sure why), but have no problem with over ear headsets, or any non-in-ear headsets for that matter. The sort of music I listen to varies quite a bit, but mostly consists of hard rock and metal, and some newer bands as well. Any help you can give would be most appreciated.


Since you're using your iPod, I assume that you'll want a closed pair for portable use. Depending on your budget, you can get Creative Aurvana Lives, Ultrasone HFI580s, V-moda M80s, Sennheiser HD-25s, or the Beyerdynamic DT1350s, to name a few. Some of them may clamp a bit, so if you find that uncomfortable, that could be a problem. A budget and some more info can help narrow it down.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniWumbo View Post

What are a good pair of closed headphones that excel in the mids and lows?  Preferably great unamped, with a detachable cable, and under 250? 

 

Genres: Rock, JRock, Pop, Piano


Check out the Denon D2000s. Not sure about the detachable cable though.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfireblade25 View Post

Seeking guidance for:

 

Finding a headphone + amp pair, portable or not

price: $200-$400, preferably cheaper.

Genres: Uplifting trance, J-pop, alt rock, orchestral.

Looking for: Deep bass that you can hear definite low end extension and luscious female vocals. 


Denon D2000, add the E17, maybe

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by real2104 View Post

I need help buying headphones.

 

I'm planning on buying a high-end midi keyboard that I'll be using to record/playback piano-based music which I need good headphones for. I'd also like to use my new headphones (any type is fine) to listen to lossless music (from classical to pop). I don't game.

 

What are the best (studio?) headphones available for about $500?


Maybe look into the SRH940s, ZX1000 for closed, Maybe the Q701, DT880, or HD600/650 for open

 


 


Quote:
Originally Posted by seslwr View Post

Looking for another pair of headphones to complement my Sennheiser HD-600's.  While I like the HD-600's for their detail and midrange, I'm looking for another set of cans that is more lively.  Recently, I've been becoming more and more of a bass head *gasp*.  I'm not a "Beats" kind of bass head, but I'm just looking for something that's a little fuller on the low-end without sacrificing too much on the mids.  Looking to spend no more than $500.  Thanks!


 

Denon D5000 maybe?

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illmatar View Post

Hey first time post.

I have been wanting to upgrade my audio setup and wanted some advice on what I should probably be looking for and what kind of things I would need.

My current setup is HDMI from PC to TV and optical to the Tritton AX720. I started looking for a new headset (usually using mic when I am using the headset I am also not at a desk for a desktop mic. 

 

At first I was looking into getting the Astro A40 headset but after looking around for a while I started to find people stating that the headset is really overpriced and there are much better out there and the mixamps were the only good thing from Astro.

So I was then starting to think of getting Astro's mixamp 5.8 since I do not have an addon sound card or some kind of amp already and connect another headset to this to maximize my quality and keep costs down. My budget for the headset is around $400 ($270 if I get the mixamp 5.8)

 

I would be doing a lot of voice chatting, gaming, movies and music of almost all genres classical to dubstep so I would like all ranges to be great if possible. I will also be using them in public so I would prefer if the sound does not bleed too much, and I will be using the headset for hours so comfort is a must for I wear glasses and prefer around ear (on ear begins to hurt after an hour or so)

 

So what kind of setup should I get and what should I look for in headsets for future purchases.

Thanks for any help in finding great quality!



Generally, stuff with built-in mics don't have the greatest sound quality. Might be better off getting a nice open pair and adding a clip-on mic.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbare View Post

Hello guys,

 

First and foremost, greetings to you.

 

Up until now I haven't really been listening to music on more than the average setup (onboard audio, random headphones etc).

However I've decided to take this up a notch, so yesterday I bought a pair of Shure SRH-440.

 

Now being new to this, I read lots of things about DACs/Amps, and I'm not sure what would be appropriate and what not, so here's the basic rundown:

 

- I'll be using them for music, all sorts really, but I guess most would be electronic music and pop/hip-hop

- source will be my work laptop, which obviously has a nasty integrated audio ,or my Galaxy S2 phone, depending on which would prove best.

- budget is ~100 GBP / ~150 USD

 

Now if I'll use the phone, I heard they use a Wolfson DAC which supposedly outputs pretty good sound.

If I use the laptop I'll also need an external USB soundcard (Creative? any alternatives?).

 

So I'm not sure if I should be looking into buying an external soundcard, and amp (I don't care if it's portable or not), or both.

 

Could I please have some thoughts?

Cheers!

 

PS: It would also be ideal if I can get it off somewhere that ships to the EU or at least the UK.

 

 


Fiio E17 fits all the requirements

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by authistic View Post

Are the Ultrasone HFI-780 a good alternative to the Grado SR225i? The Grados are too pricey here (~300€ = 390$). 

I'm looking for a somewhat brutal sound signature with forward in-yo-face mids, hard hitting and fast bass and energy in the highs.

 

greets.


The closed-versus-open issue is pretty big. If you like the grado sound, maybe try the 225/125?

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathDomokun View Post

DT880/600ohm

DT990/600ohm

D2000

FA-002 (woodback)

HD600

HD650

Pro 900

 

Paired with E7/E9 combo.

Bold are cans I'm considering the most. Emphasis on good bass and drum recreation. It needs to sound realistic, I listen to hardly any electronic so the Pro900 seen like a bad choice. I want a thick, heavy, grimey, raw, realistic sound. If the drummer is smashing the ride I want to hear it being smashed, if he's double kicking I want to feel it, etc. Hopefully the phone will be able to adapt to/build upon a song inherent atmosphere. Mainly used for "heavier" metal (Sludge/Doom/Death) I'm open to suggestion, I just want something to give my doom/sludge some life. I'll probably play other genres too, but my HD448's have good mids (for the price) so they can cover vocal based/acoustic music.


Maybe Grados for metal? D2000 would work too, probably.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danulas View Post

Hello everyone,

 

My name is Dan and I'm a first time poster here.

 

I just purchased a set of Grado SR80i's and I am totally in love with the sound. I've heard that a lot of people on here can't stand the way they feel for too long, but that isn't my concern at all. I simply can't have headphones that are this audible to people in the area. I understand that the open-back design will do that so I can't really look for another set of Grado's.

 

My last set of headphones was a set of Sony MDR-60's. The sound was okay (my description after hearing these Grado headphones), but they were the most comfortable headphones I had ever worn and the added benefit of being silent to people around me.

 

I'm currently in college with three semesters to go and going to a library with the Grado headphones is pretty much impossible because of how loud they are to other people.

 

So basically what I'm looking for is this (prioritized highest to lowest):

 

- Priced no higher than $150

- Silent to those around me

- Comparable sound to the Grado's.

 

Once I get out of college, I may get myself a permanent set of Grado's, but for right now, that's an impossibility, so I'm going to have to return these.

 

Thanks,

Dan

 


Look into the Ultrasone HFI780, M50, or similar DJ headphones.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by boblemur View Post

Hey All,

 

I have similar requirements to the previous post but to reiterate.

 

  • Music Types: metal, melodic death metal, occasionally softer metal
  • Headphone Type: closed is a must as i need really good isolation (quiet office environment).
  • Price: Im flexible with price but I have no problem with around 600 (more if necessary).
  • Other Equipment: I have just purchased a pair of Senn HD650 and before you say it, that is how I like my metal when im at home nice and mellow and warm. I will be buying a desktop amp and dac as well (yet to be decided on). I would like to buy a pair of headphones for on the go and at work. I would like more up beat and brighter and more fun for this.

 

Now that the context is out of the way. I would like to buy a pair of headphones and a portable amp/dac (one unit prefered  for logistics) I will be driving it with a digital source. What are a good combo of headphones and amd/dac that meet my requirements?

 

Thanks in advance,

PS: if you need any more info just ask im happy to provide


The Beyerdynamic DT 770 could work for those genres, but also look into SRH940s and D5000. It depends a lot on your preferred sound signature, as there aren't a ton of closed cans at that price point.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post

Hey there, I've asked this on another thread and I've kinda been seeing a lot of mixed reactions; well, anyway, I've got my mind set on a pair of AKG Q701s. I currently own a pair of the K240 MKIIs (also Grado SR60is) and these are amazing for the genres of music I like. 99.99% it's all metal, punk and a tiny bit of acoustic on the side. Now, this might be an outrage, AKGs for metal? These things I own are absolutely amazing for progressive, a lot of the cores I listen to and all of the genres in general. Now, I'm obviously not using these headphones right, but after the numerous amounts of headphones I've tried, these are the ones I like the most.

 

What I'm trying to get at is I like the AKG sound signature and I was wondering if I'm screwing myself over buying a pair of AKG Q701s for primarily progressive, death, thrash, classic, punk?


First off, the Q701s will need an amp, so factor that in to price. Also, if you like the grado sound, why not just upgrade?

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbare View Post



 

Okay. after reading for couple of hours last night, I came to the conclusion that since I'll be listening through a laptop mostly and at times through my phone, best would be to buy either an E7 (DAC for laptop, Amp for phone) or an E17 (DAC for laptop, Amp for phone) correct?

 

Am I correct in believing that it's rather useless also purchasing an external soundcard? (since the DAC will take care of signal quality)

Would purchasing an external soundcard be an alternative to purchasing a DAC/Amp combo? Are they equivalent?


an E7/17 will serve as your soundcard.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaees View Post

Hi, sorry for creating new thread asking for help, i got one reply only but i need more and clear details please, so kindly see the requirement of me and reply,

 

i decided to buy new headphones which are primerly used for my Dell XPS 17" 3D Laptop (watching blue-ray movies, Latest 3d gaming like MW3 & Latest music) and for my iPhone to listen music while i am outside. i have no experience with any of best sound providing headphones, i was searching for nice head phones which can give me every possible detail in music and can make me feel the experience of new sounds that i never heared before (far better than iPhone's headset i mean).

Please i don't want in-ear type or too small and uncomfortable since i play alot of latest games regularly on laptop.

Price range is around $ 50. (less pricey is better..biggrin.gif

 

Please help me out to buy my new amazing headphonese and join in league of audiophiles..L3000.gif

i saw few headphones on Amazon but dont know which are best among them and will fit for my requirement.

i never tried any good headphones before. so this is gona be my very first branded headphones, i hope you guys give your best advice to noob who is music lover and avid gamer.

Here is list:

1. Audio-Technica ATH-M30

2. Beyerdynamic-DT-235 And DTX-35

3. Sennheiser-HD-202-Dynamic-Headphones

4. Grado SR60i

5. Panasonic HTF-600

 

Please feel free to advice if any other model/brand is better than these listed above. Plz include pros/cons for all, your help and guidance is much appreciated.

 

Thanks.


Second the Superlux recommendation.

 


 



Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post

Hello fellow Head-Fi ers:

 

I currently have a HT-Omega Claro Halo sound card with built-in headphone amp.(TPA6120A2) This is the amp I have to live with for the next few years.

 

http://www.htomega.com/clarohalo.html

 

I am a sound-stage whore, and I prefer to use headphone for Jazz/classical/vocal type of music. Any recommendations? I am open to both closed and open backs. I prefer clarity over full bass.

 

From my own research here, I am leaning towards AKG Q701, but I am afraid my amp won't be enough. Is my amp sufficient? Or should I just get an Audio Technical AD700?

 

Much appreciated!


I imagine it should serve decently, as the E10 has been known to drive the Q701 pretty well.

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini2426 View Post

Hey guys,

 

I'm currently looking for a new pair of over ear headphones for my Cowon J3 mp3 player. I own a pair of Sennheisers HD 555, but I not a big fan of them. In my opinion, they get uncomfortable over time and they are also fairly heavy. I also don't like the fact that the music leaks through and distracts all the people around me.

 

(My music terminology is very poor, forgive me). I listen to all genres of music, I prefer to have a great amount of clarity and a very defined bass. I'm also considering getting a pair that won't have any noise leakage to the surrounding environment.

 

Do you guys have any suggestions? Any headphones that are comparable with the HD 555's? or should I keep using them or get used to them?

 

Thanks in advance!

 

 


So it looks like you want a closed pair, so stuff like the denon D2000, SRH940, HFI780, M50, HD-25, etc.

 

post #11424 of 29490

I've had my M50's for ~3yrs and the pads are starting to get pretty cracked.  Is there anything in the ~$200ish price range that is a step up from them or should I just get new pads?

 

Preferably something more comfortable with at least as good sq

Using out of ipod and onboard

somewhat portable (I bring them to work all the time) but circumaural

I listen to just about anything, but mostly prog metal and rock

Must be closed (i.e. not much sound leakage since I use them at work)

 

I know those are pretty strict requirements.  I was reading stuff today and couldn't find anything that sounded better :/.

post #11425 of 29490

Bought Some Beyerdynamic DT235's (after days & days of reading Head-fi) and I'm loving them, coming from some cheap Sony MDR XD200 the difference is astounding. Now I'm wondering how good things could get? 

 

a) What would be the next logical step up in quality with a similar sound to the DT235s?

 

b) Also I fancy trying something with more impact and bass just to see if I like the sound signature, something not too expensive in case I don't like the effect. Preferable something with a bit of control though as I don't think I would like loose/boomy bass, I like the control of the DT235s, but on some songs I just wish it hit a little harder/deeper.

 

I'm going to purchase a Fiio E11 soon and I use an Asus Xonar DS sound card and a Sansa Clip + as sources. I don't mind open or closed cans, I don't like too much treble, reasonable amounts are fine but nothing too tiring on my ears, I find the DT235s treble very pleasant.

 

Thanks

Dan

 

Edited to point out I'm talking about two different sets of headphones in case I didn't make that clear.


Edited by Caratacus - 1/26/12 at 5:11pm
post #11426 of 29490

Hey guys, I'm new here... And I'm looking for a new pair of headphones.

 

I recently got a pair of Sennheiser HD 439s for Christmas this year, and I was not very happy with the bass response on the headphones. So I sold those phones and I'm going to use the money to buy a new pair of closed back headphones. I want something with big bass response (I'm a basshead, I admit it haha). I also want something that has clear highs (like my HD 439s).

 

I've narrowed down my search to two headphones that look very attractive. I'm looking at the Audio Technica ATH-PRO700mk2s and the Ultrasone HIFI-780s. I've heard good things about both headphones. Which one do you think fits better for my situation? I want something that has awesome bass, but doesn't overpower the highs. If you have any other suggestions, I'm open to them also. My budget is $170 and under. Thanks.

 

EDIT: Oh, and I listen to a ton of rap. I also listen to a lot of alternative, pop, and acoustic music. 


Edited by Soratar - 1/26/12 at 5:26pm
post #11427 of 29490

 

Hey,

I am relatively new to Head-Fi.com. I am looking to buy a new pair of Grado Headphones. There is only one small problem. I can't decided between the sr325is or the RS2i. For me the price does not matter, all I want are headphones that suit me and meet my criteria. I have auditioned both the RS2i and the sr325is at the shop and got to say that the reviews about the two headphones are pretty much spot on. I found both very nice, but the auditions were short, thus my experience with them was not really satisfactory for me. The main questions that I have about the Grado Headphones are:

 

1. Which, in your option plays Classical Rock (EG: Queen, Pink Floyd, Radiohead) and/or, Alternative (EG: Muse, Coldplay) genre music better?

2. What is your opinion on profile (how much do they stick out from the head. There was no mirror in the shop, thus I did not get to see myself with them on)? Are the 325is small or are the RS2i smaller?

3. Which set of headphones would you think is best suited for me based on the criteria above. 

 

thanks in advance for your help.

 
post #11428 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGiant View Post

Hey all,

 

Im looking to get a set of good all around around ear headphones

 

I have a set of Sennheiser HD203's and they are great, but I want something more

 

I want something louder, same amount of bass or deeper, and more crisp through the whole sound spectrum.

 

I've had my eye on a few different ones, Sennheiser HD280 Pro, Sony MDR-V6 (and V600), Steelseries 7H USB, Superlux HD660

 

I basically want to stay around the 150 mark or below

 

The SS 7H USB has me interested because it has the sound card which will get rid of the noise that my computer's front jacks have.

 

I also want something that is durable, very long cord, comfortable, and can be used on an iPod/iPhone and still have volume to it, so none that need amps please

 

They will be used for gaming, movies and music (rock/pop/techno/dance/country etc I listen to most anything)

 

Let me know what you think

 

Also since I have gotten this answer a couple places, I have a set of Turtle Beach X11's which are by far the most comfortable headphones Ive worn, but I find that they lack bass when listening to music (even with an EQ)

 


The SteelSeries headphones won't sound as good as your other options, and they won't be ideal for portable use.  They may not even be useable as portables - it's unclear as to whether they're purely USB, or if they come with a USB module.  I would suggest something like the Superlux 668b/Samson SR-850 (same headphone) and a USB DAC/amp solution like the E10 for your laptop.  The other headphones that you listed aren't particularly known for their bass.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Illmatar View Post

Since the other day when I posted asking for advice I continued reading and looking for a setup to run and I think I have found some possible setups. the Denon D2000, PC350/360, Audio Technica M50 are what I am seeing pretty good reviews on within my price range. Would this be good for music(pretty much all genres), gaming and voice chatting?

 

I was also looking into a DAC/AMP and was thinking about going with the Fiio e17 if they are available when I am making this purchase.

 

I am planning on using these for PC (onboard sound card), PS3, and for an android smart phone in public so I do also want to keep sound bleeding low.

 

Would all these work well together giving a great experience? Could someone also kind of explain how these could be setup with the DAC/AMP?

 

My budget is around $400 would this give me the best performance for my money or would someone suggest any other setup?

 

Also could someone suggest a mic to go with the setup since most do not include a mic built on.

 

 

Thanks for any info provided.

 

Also my friends keep telling me not to do all this and to just get the phones I was thinking about before (Razer Tiamat or the Astro A40's) anything I can do to try to convince them of the quality difference from those to what I will probably be getting?


The M50 isn't a very good gaming headphone, but my D2000 works fairly well.  The PC350/360 aren't exactly portable - the PC360s are open (leak sound) and both have the microphone permanently attached.  Plus you'll always have that extra 3.5mm jack dangling around.

 

For a mic, I use this: http://www.amazon.com/AntLion-ModMic-Attachable-Boom-Microphone/dp/B005IT9P3G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1327628290&sr=1-1

 

Others have used this: http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=pd_vtp_e_1


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeNmAc View Post

I've had my M50's for ~3yrs and the pads are starting to get pretty cracked.  Is there anything in the ~$200ish price range that is a step up from them or should I just get new pads?

 

Preferably something more comfortable with at least as good sq

Using out of ipod and onboard

somewhat portable (I bring them to work all the time) but circumaural

I listen to just about anything, but mostly prog metal and rock

Must be closed (i.e. not much sound leakage since I use them at work)

 

I know those are pretty strict requirements.  I was reading stuff today and couldn't find anything that sounded better :/.


You can get the D2000s for $200 as an open box deal at Electronics Expo, but that's about it.

 

post #11429 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soratar View Post

Hey guys, I'm new here... And I'm looking for a new pair of headphones.

 

I recently got a pair of Sennheiser HD 439s for Christmas this year, and I was not very happy with the bass response on the headphones. So I sold those phones and I'm going to use the money to buy a new pair of closed back headphones. I want something with big bass response (I'm a basshead, I admit it haha). I also want something that has clear highs (like my HD 439s).

 

I've narrowed down my search to two headphones that look very attractive. I'm looking at the Audio Technica ATH-PRO700mk2s and the Ultrasone HIFI-780s. I've heard good things about both headphones. Which one do you think fits better for my situation? I want something that has awesome bass, but doesn't overpower the highs. If you have any other suggestions, I'm open to them also. My budget is $170 and under. Thanks.

 

EDIT: Oh, and I listen to a ton of rap. I also listen to a lot of alternative, pop, and acoustic music. 


Either one should fit your needs.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by locker314 View Post

 

Hey,

I am relatively new to Head-Fi.com. I am looking to buy a new pair of Grado Headphones. There is only one small problem. I can't decided between the sr325is or the RS2i. For me the price does not matter, all I want are headphones that suit me and meet my criteria. I have auditioned both the RS2i and the sr325is at the shop and got to say that the reviews about the two headphones are pretty much spot on. I found both very nice, but the auditions were short, thus my experience with them was not really satisfactory for me. The main questions that I have about the Grado Headphones are:

 

1. Which, in your option plays Classical Rock (EG: Queen, Pink Floyd, Radiohead) and/or, Alternative (EG: Muse, Coldplay) genre music better?

2. What is your opinion on profile (how much do they stick out from the head. There was no mirror in the shop, thus I did not get to see myself with them on)? Are the 325is small or are the RS2i smaller?

3. Which set of headphones would you think is best suited for me based on the criteria above. 

 

thanks in advance for your help.

 


1.  The RS2 is probably slightly better than the SR325, but it won't be much.

 

2.  Not really sure, though I'm curious why this matters.  Neither one is a good choice for wearing in public.  From what I remember, the RS2 is slightly smaller, but it's been a while, and the size difference was minor if there was one.

 

3.  The one that you like better - you're picking between two fairly similar headphones.  Personally, I'd pick the RS2 if I had to pick one because I'm a sucker for woodies. But normally, I wouldn't pick either - I'm not a fan of the Grado sound.

 

post #11430 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeANite View Post

You can get the D2000s for $200 as an open box deal at Electronics Expo, but that's about it.

Sold out now, sadly. frown.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum