or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 747  

post #11191 of 29490

Hi, so I've got a pair of Vsonic GR07 plugged straight into computer/ipod now, and also a pair of M50 which i use for gaming.

I'm looking into getting a proper desktop rig as I have no proper amplifier and source right now. I've heard my friends AD700 and I think the presentation of it is awesome and the FPS gaming performance of it is awesome. But the lack of a full bass body draws me away.

 

I like a neutral signature with well textured and impactful bass, and I mostly hear improvements in the bass area of the spectrum.

Ideally GR07 sound with AD700 presentation would be awesome, hence I'm intrigued by the DT880, specifically the 600 ohm.

I'm asking for advice to see if there are any better headphone choices, and also looking for amping advice for the DT880 600ohm.

 

I'm considering using an E9 until I can upgrade to a tube amp, perhaps the Schiit Valhalla. Also looking for a DAC.

Budget for the rig is somewhere around $500

 

I also do a lot of FPS gaming so I'm looking for an Open can. Also most of my listening is done from the computer.


Edited by StackNZ - 1/19/12 at 6:16pm
post #11192 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caratacus View Post

Hi, hopefully someone can help me decide on the following headphones that are in my price range.. or suggest one I've missed?

 

HD 555  £85

SHR440 £77

HD 515  £70

ZX700    £63

 

I listen to mainly Symphonic Metal such as Epica, After Forever, Nightwish, Sirenia, Within Temptation and also Prog Rock like Kamelot, Symphony X, Dream Theater and also stuff like Avantasia, Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, Candlemass, The Velvet Underground, Sentenced etc. etc...

 

Sources would be my Asus Xonar DS and Sansa Clip +, playing MP3s @320.

 

The HD555 is seriously stretching my budget so lower is £ / $ is better!

 

All help gratefully received, thanks in advance...

 

 


If I were you, I'd look into Grados, which I've heard have a nice treble energy that makes them very good for metal. However, because it looks like you're not in the states, I think Alessandro is the International equivalent.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by StackNZ View Post

Hi, so I've got a pair of Vsonic GR07 plugged straight into computer/ipod now, and also a pair of M50 which i use for gaming.

I'm looking into getting a proper desktop rig as I have no proper amplifier and source right now. I've heard my friends AD700 and I think the presentation of it is awesome and the FPS gaming performance of it is awesome. But the lack of a full bass body draws me away.

 

I like a neutral signature with well textured and impactful bass, and I mostly hear improvements in the bass area of the spectrum.

Ideally GR07 sound with AD700 presentation would be awesome, hence I'm intrigued by the DT880, specifically the 600 ohm.

I'm asking for advice to see if there are any better headphone choices, and also looking for amping advice for the DT880 600ohm.

 

I'm considering using an E9 until I can upgrade to a tube amp, perhaps the Schiit Valhalla. Also looking for a DAC.

Budget for the rig is somewhere around $500

 

I also do a lot of FPS gaming so I'm looking for an Open can. Also most of my listening is done from the computer.


Maybe E9/E17/HD598? I think that slots $500, and less if you can find a better deal on the HD598s (check the deals thread)

post #11193 of 29490

I think I've decided on the Denon AHD2000 and a Little Dot I+ but not sure when it comes to a DAC, there's the HRT Music Streamer II and the Fubar II that I've been looking at and was wondering if the Fubar II is worth the extra money or not.

post #11194 of 29490

Back in the day -- 2008! -- I bought a pair of DT880s. They've served me well enough, and I do like them, but for certain genres, they're entirely too fatiguing. I'm sure everyone else who has listened to them has similar opinions. I'll be keeping them around, and when I want to listen to classical music, or folk -- or anything with a flute -- or when I'm looking for detail (I recently had a listen to the 40th anniversary re-release of Jethro Tull's Aqualung album, and the new detail revealed is absolutely stunning), I'll use these. For a select set of genres, they're relaxing and intimate.

 

But there are things they just don't do well, and I've decided I need something else (well, once the next paycheck rolls around, at least) for other parts of my music library. I think the times the DT880s frustrate me most are when the music is not as precise as the headphones are. I mentioned Jethro Tull above, and their instrumentation was always precise -- these headphones convey that brilliantly. But any time the instrumentation comes across as less precise, or more noisy, things start to fall apart, especially when that noise is in the mids, where the DT880s are a bit harsh. That happens a lot with metal -- even the melodic metal I tend toward (think progressive metal or Blind Guardian's [i]Nightfall in Middle Earth[/i]) -- and it's an issue with a lot of older music where the recording quality just wasn't there (the aforementioned [i]Aqualung[/i] and The Strawbs' [i]Hero and Heroine[/i] are great examples).

 

So, I'm looking for something to fill those sorts of holes. Better if it's also good all-around, so I don't [i]have[/i] to pull out the DT880 when I decide to throw a classical or folk piece into the mix with some metal or noisier, dirtier rock.

 

Let's try to limit the budget to $350 or so. My setup already includes a decent amp (how could I really enjoy the cans I already have otherwise?).

post #11195 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matcha View Post

Back in the day -- 2008! -- I bought a pair of DT880s. They've served me well enough, and I do like them, but for certain genres, they're entirely too fatiguing. I'm sure everyone else who has listened to them has similar opinions. I'll be keeping them around, and when I want to listen to classical music, or folk -- or anything with a flute -- or when I'm looking for detail (I recently had a listen to the 40th anniversary re-release of Jethro Tull's Aqualung album, and the new detail revealed is absolutely stunning), I'll use these. For a select set of genres, they're relaxing and intimate.

 

But there are things they just don't do well, and I've decided I need something else (well, once the next paycheck rolls around, at least) for other parts of my music library. I think the times the DT880s frustrate me most are when the music is not as precise as the headphones are. I mentioned Jethro Tull above, and their instrumentation was always precise -- these headphones convey that brilliantly. But any time the instrumentation comes across as less precise, or more noisy, things start to fall apart, especially when that noise is in the mids, where the DT880s are a bit harsh. That happens a lot with metal -- even the melodic metal I tend toward (think progressive metal or Blind Guardian's [i]Nightfall in Middle Earth[/i]) -- and it's an issue with a lot of older music where the recording quality just wasn't there (the aforementioned [i]Aqualung[/i] and The Strawbs' [i]Hero and Heroine[/i] are great examples).

 

So, I'm looking for something to fill those sorts of holes. Better if it's also good all-around, so I don't [i]have[/i] to pull out the DT880 when I decide to throw a classical or folk piece into the mix with some metal or noisier, dirtier rock.

 

Let's try to limit the budget to $350 or so. My setup already includes a decent amp (how could I really enjoy the cans I already have otherwise?).


So something a little more forgiving? It least from what I've heard, that seems to match a Sennheiser, maybe an HD598 of HD600/650. I can't say I've heard any of these headphones, but unfortunately, I don't know how much more you'll get from this thread... 

 

post #11196 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeANite View Post



I have these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044DEESS/ref=asc_df_B0044DEESS1859376?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0044DEESS

 

They're universal-fit, but they fit well and reduce the noise level pretty effectively.  You'll look like a bit of a dork, but your hearing will be safe.  Alternatively, a lot of people just use good old foam earplugs from the drugstore.  Either option is pretty inexpensive.



Btw, decided to take you up on these, ordered em today, hopefully they will work. 

post #11197 of 29490

Recently picked up a pair of Ultrasone HFI-580s as I needed a closed pair of headphones for work. Quite happy with my purchase however, now I'm thinking it's time to grab a new pair of open/semi-open headphones for that wider soundstage while at home.

 

Looking to spend $150 (or less) on a new set. Restricted to Amazon as I have credit there and that's what's going to fund this purchase.

 

I'm looking at the AKG K240 Studio/MKII and Senn's HD558 (currently $180 but people mention it drops to ~$140 occasionally).

 

Ideally, I want a pair of circumaural, open headphones with velour pads for a nice open soundstage. I picked up a FiiO E10 when I ordered the 580s (more for the DAC than the amp tbh) so I'm not too concerned about headphones that'll need to be amped. 

 

Can anyone weigh in on these two headphones in specific and throw out some other suggestions?

 

Thanks!

post #11198 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by regnak View Post

Recently picked up a pair of Ultrasone HFI-580s as I needed a closed pair of headphones for work. Quite happy with my purchase however, now I'm thinking it's time to grab a new pair of open/semi-open headphones for that wider soundstage while at home.

Looking to spend $150 (or less) on a new set. Restricted to Amazon as I have credit there and that's what's going to fund this purchase.

I'm looking at the AKG K240 Studio/MKII and Senn's HD558 (currently $180 but people mention it drops to ~$140 occasionally).

Ideally, I want a pair of circumaural, open headphones with velour pads for a nice open soundstage. I picked up a FiiO E10 when I ordered the 580s (more for the DAC than the amp tbh) so I'm not too concerned about headphones that'll need to be amped. 

Can anyone weigh in on these two headphones in specific and throw out some other suggestions?

Thanks!

Open for that price, the HD558 is a solid choice. Also, for only $50 check out Samson SR850, they're better than quite a few HPs in the $100-150 range.
post #11199 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50an6xy06r6n View Post


So something a little more forgiving? It least from what I've heard, that seems to match a Sennheiser, maybe an HD598 of HD600/650. I can't say I've heard any of these headphones, but unfortunately, I don't know how much more you'll get from this thread... 

 



 

Yeah, from days past, the 600 or 650 were at the top of the list before I made that post last night. If that's still the way to go -- assuming I don't want to spend a heck of a lot more money, which seems to be what people are doing these days -- I'm okay with that.

post #11200 of 29490

hi,

i'm looking for a closed and foldable (or with a really good case....since i will travel a lot) hp....that is as similar as possible at the sound of the hd 598.

i havent try the M50 cuz there is no re-seller where i live..but i'm worried about the more bass (witch i'm worry that would be too much for my taste..since hd598 sounds already perfect) and quite recessed mids..witch would be a killer for me.

is that true??

 

what about:

HFi 580?? (coming from sr60i..this should be quite good)

other ultrasone??

senn hd-25-1-ii?? 

denon AH-NC800? ( i dont need noise isolation...but somewere i've read that r similar to d2000, is that true?)

 

other options?

 

budget until 500$

 

thanks..


Edited by xirtam85 - 1/20/12 at 9:40am
post #11201 of 29490

I just purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD598 to be delivered next Tuesday so this post is after the fact...  Still I thought I would ask for thoughts on my choice.

 

First, my headphone will plug into a Citypulse DA7.2xII with the TCXO clock upgrade.  Sources are:

  1. FLAC either direct from my PC via S/PDIF from a Musiland Monitor 01 USD or through a Logitech Touch, and
  2. vinyl from an Opera Consonance LP-2.0/Grado Sonata/Mørch UP-4 turntable/cartridge/tonearm combination through a PS Audio GCPH.

 

Second, my musical tastes are diverse: 70's AOR/progressive rock, bluegrass, metal, classical, vocalists, trance, jazz, ambient, country, etc.  My favorites are female vocals such as Sarah McLachlan, Natalie Merchant and Alison Krauss, and rock like Supertramp, Pink Floyd and 3 Doors Down.

 

Third, I love the pair of Shure e3 IEMs I use when I travel and I really liked the sound of the Sennheiser HD400 I owned in the late 70's early 80's.

 

And last, there is nowhere local where I could audition the headphones I was considering so I performed extensive online research.

 

I considered Audio Technica ATH-M50s & ATH-AD700, KRK KNS 8400 (I have a pair of Ferrari red KRK Rokit RP6G2's on my desltop.), Grado 225i, and Sennheiser HD518/HD558.  My original budget was in the $150 range but I stretched a little for the HD598's.  Was it a good choice?  (I'll find out on Tuesday.smile_phones.gif)

 

Martin

 

 

post #11202 of 29490

Hi!

 

I've had a HD 650 for some time now (my first "real" headphones) and recently acquired Sleek Audio CT6 custom IEMs, which are really revealing and detailed (as far as I can tell), which makes the HD 650s sound a bit veiled in comparison. They certainly don't have as much detail.

I still like the HD 650s for many genres, but especially with electronic music their laid-back sound isn't as satisfying. I also read they are too slow for fast metal but I don't hear that (I might be lacking a good comparison).

 

So now I'm looking for new headphones with a more bright and detailed sound. I use a nuforce Icon HDP as DAC and amp, and my budget is ~200-250 Euros for now.

 

After reading some review the Beyerdynamic DT 880 (600 Ohms) seem to fit the bill, but maybe there are better candidates?


Edited by tobold - 1/20/12 at 9:58am
post #11203 of 29490

Where could I find a 6inch 1/4inch female to 3.5mm male cable.

post #11204 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin645 View Post

Where could I find a 6inch 1/4inch female to 3.5mm male cable.

 

 

Try performance audio or amazon. You're guaranteed to find the right one there

 

Here's one for example, and it's on sale!

 

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Mini-Adaptor-Cable-Inch/dp/B001DK1ZVO

post #11205 of 29490

15 dollars for those cables is expensive. I would rather just get spilter cable for 5 bucks

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum