or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 736  

post #11026 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducker3 View Post

Anyone ever even heard of those older on ear ones??   Or feel urge to steer me away from the DT 770 to a different can? 

All Beyerdynamic DT770s need to be used with a decent headphone amplifier to bring out their best.

Do you have a headphone amplifier?

 

For headphones in your budget, KRK KNS 8400.
 

 

 

post #11027 of 29490

im starting to look to upgrade my headphones.

 

i currently have ath-m50, dt770 pro 80, and ultrasone pro 900.

 

i was using the e10 with the dt770 and pro 900s. with the bass boost on it sounds great, but now i got the the o2 amp and with no bass boost ive noticed both the pro 900s are far too sibilant.

 

im looking for something with good bass, and probably recessed highs seeing as i seem to be sensitive to sibilance. i was thinking possibly the hd650? i want to try to find a place to audition some phones out...any ideas what other headphones i should look at?

post #11028 of 29490

Hi guys. I recently bought Sony XB1000s and XB500s, but I'm looking fair a pair of cans that will better suit me. I loved the presentation of the XB1000s, but need more portable headphones, and these definitely are not portable. I thought the XB500s would be good, but after listening to the XB1000s, I realized I wanted something with more emphasis on the sub bass, and better sound staging. I also didn't like that the XB500s were a bit muffled. I want to lay down, close my eyes, and imagine all the instrumentation all around me if that makes any sense.

 

So what I'm looking for is:

  • something that has heavy bass like the XBs, except with emphasis on the lower end
  • good sound staging, instrument separation, and detail on the mids and highs
  • relatively portable (I wouldn't mind lugging something like the DT770s around)
  • cant be bright sounding as my ears are very sensitive to high frequencies
  • looking for something under $300

 

My musical taste right now ranges mostly in hip-hop and dubstep (James Blake, Digital Mystikz, Mount Kimbie), but I often venture into stuff like twee pop, jazz, dub, etc. I just need some deep enveloping bass with good separation and detail. 

 

Would the M50s fit the bill? I've been reading up on them, but I don't think they have the deep, visceral bass I need.

 

Edit: And can you suggest anything not portable as well? As I'm looking to create a home set up.


Edited by tseliottt - 1/13/12 at 9:42pm
post #11029 of 29490

Looking for something to replace my Crack + DT990 set up, but the catch is that it must be closed and on-ear. I love the warmth of the BW P5s but am looking for something not as laid back. Tight bass is a must. I feel like I'm asking for the best all-rounder portable on-ear out there. I've taken into consideration the HD25s and the DT 1350, but I'd like to get a few more recommendations on top of them. Thanks!

 

(Would also prefer cans not requiring an amp!)

post #11030 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseliottt View Post

Hi guys. I recently bought Sony XB1000s and XB500s, but I'm looking fair a pair of cans that will better suit me. I loved the presentation of the XB1000s, but need more portable headphones, and these definitely are not portable. I thought the XB500s would be good, but after listening to the XB1000s, I realized I wanted something with more emphasis on the sub bass, and better sound staging. I also didn't like that the XB500s were a bit muffled. I want to lay down, close my eyes, and imagine all the instrumentation all around me if that makes any sense.

 

So what I'm looking for is:

  • something that has heavy bass like the XBs, except with emphasis on the lower end
  • good sound staging, instrument separation, and detail on the mids and highs
  • relatively portable (I wouldn't mind lugging something like the DT770s around)
  • cant be bright sounding as my ears are very sensitive to high frequencies
  • looking for something under $300

 

My musical taste right now ranges mostly in hip-hop and dubstep (James Blake, Digital Mystikz, Mount Kimbie), but I often venture into stuff like twee pop, jazz, dub, etc. I just need some deep enveloping bass with good separation and detail. 

 

Would the M50s fit the bill? I've been reading up on them, but I don't think they have the deep, visceral bass I need.

 

Edit: And can you suggest anything not portable as well? As I'm looking to create a home set up.


The Denon D1100s have been suggested as very competent, but bass-heavy headphones. I can't really help to much with the home setup question, as I have no experience there.

 

EDIT: Yeah, I don't hink the M80s are what you want. They have more of a midbass emphasis that works better for rock.


Edited by 50an6xy06r6n - 1/13/12 at 10:49pm
post #11031 of 29490

Hey guys i know this isnt the right thread but i mean kmon, its not worth its own thread. I just have two questions,

 

Do they make in ear sound protection custom molded specifically for concerts? And if so, how much do they cost generally? 

 

I ask because i love concerts, but i dont wanna risk damaging my hearing further than they already are. 

post #11032 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathdeisel View Post

Hey guys i know this isnt the right thread but i mean kmon, its not worth its own thread. I just have two questions,

 

Do they make in ear sound protection custom molded specifically for concerts? And if so, how much do they cost generally? 

 

I ask because i love concerts, but i dont wanna risk damaging my hearing further than they already are. 



I have these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044DEESS/ref=asc_df_B0044DEESS1859376?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0044DEESS

 

They're universal-fit, but they fit well and reduce the noise level pretty effectively.  You'll look like a bit of a dork, but your hearing will be safe.  Alternatively, a lot of people just use good old foam earplugs from the drugstore.  Either option is pretty inexpensive.

post #11033 of 29490

Hmm, those are actually kind of what im looking for. I wonder how well those compare to custom molded ones.


Edited by Deathdeisel - 1/13/12 at 11:26pm
post #11034 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathdeisel View Post

Hmm, those are actually kind of what im looking for. I wonder how well those compare to custom molded ones.


The customs will be better, obviously, but custom musician earplugs from somewhere like Westone are around $170, and I'm not sure that the customs would be $150+ better.  For the price, I would suggest just getting the Etymotics and seeing if they work for you.  If they don't fit well or don't isolate enough, then consider the customs.

post #11035 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50an6xy06r6n View Post


The Denon D1100s have been suggested as very competent, but bass-heavy headphones. I can't really help to much with the home setup question, as I have no experience there.

 

EDIT: Yeah, I don't hink the M80s are what you want. They have more of a midbass emphasis that works better for rock.



Hey, thanks a lot. I'll probably pass on the M50s then. I was actually looking at the D2000 as well, but I've heard that sibilance can become a problem. I might just buy online, see if I like them, and return them if I don't. They can be driven pretty well without an amp right?

post #11036 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathdeisel View Post

Hmm, those are actually kind of what im looking for. I wonder how well those compare to custom molded ones.



Custom ones should be better only in terms of comfort and in ease of getting a proper seal every time.  That's important if you wear them every day, but the Ety's should provide approximately the same level of attenuation.  I've used them for years in my job.

post #11037 of 29490

Howdy!

First-time poster, but frequent browser. I've been looking around, gathering opinions on what type of an amp would best conform to my listening needs. I listen to a variety of music: Rock (and both its more laid back and heavier subgenres), Jazz, 90's hiphop, and a handful other bass-heavy songs.

 

So far, I've narrowed things down to the following:

 

DarkVoice 336SE

Little Dot MKIII

Schiit Asgard

M^3

 

My budget (ideally) was supposed to be around $400 USD. Little Dot/Schiit/DarkVoice are easier on my wallet, and I'm particularly interested in the Schiit from a design perspective - it would coordinate well with the computer that I'm buildling (I'm using a silver Silverstone Fortress FT-03 case). Simply speaking, I don't find the other three choices as aesthetically pleasing as the Asgard. After reading the Headfonia review, it seems like the Asgard would pair better with SR325is's than the tube Valhalla... Is this actually the case? How would the Asgard compare with the M^3? That is, is the difference night and day?

 

If I WERE to get a M^3, I would most likely prefer if I purchased it pre-built. What with college and internships, I doubt I'll have the time to just sit down and figure out how to assemble a M^3 without mucking things up. From whom should I buy a preassembled M^3? I've read about a bass boost/controller on an M^3, from one of the SR325+amp threads. Do all of the assembled M^3s come with this feature, or is there a specific name I should be looking out for?

 

PS - How about a Millet Max/MiniMax/Hybrid?

post #11038 of 29490
 
 
 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbehr View Post

Howdy!

First-time poster, but frequent browser. I've been looking around, gathering opinions on what type of an amp would best conform to my listening needs. I listen to a variety of music: Rock (and both its more laid back and heavier subgenres), Jazz, 90's hiphop, and a handful other bass-heavy songs.

 

So far, I've narrowed things down to the following:

 

DarkVoice 336SE

Little Dot MKIII

Schiit Asgard

M^3

 

My budget (ideally) was supposed to be around $400 USD. Little Dot/Schiit/DarkVoice are easier on my wallet, and I'm particularly interested in the Schiit from a design perspective - it would coordinate well with the computer that I'm buildling (I'm using a silver Silverstone Fortress FT-03 case). Simply speaking, I don't find the other three choices as aesthetically pleasing as the Asgard. After reading the Headfonia review, it seems like the Asgard would pair better with SR325is's than the tube Valhalla... Is this actually the case? How would the Asgard compare with the M^3? That is, is the difference night and day?

 

If I WERE to get a M^3, I would most likely prefer if I purchased it pre-built. What with college and internships, I doubt I'll have the time to just sit down and figure out how to assemble a M^3 without mucking things up. From whom should I buy a preassembled M^3? I've read about a bass boost/controller on an M^3, from one of the SR325+amp threads. Do all of the assembled M^3s come with this feature, or is there a specific name I should be looking out for?

 

PS - How about a Millet Max/MiniMax/Hybrid?

 

Well, the real question is do you want to listen to your music or your amp?  Of those choices, the M^3 is the only one that comes close to being uncolored.

 

Further, none of these, other than the M^3, are likely to be a good match with your low impedance Grado's.  The Little Dot and Darkvoice are both OTL amps, and not suited well at all to a low impedance load.  The Schiit is a single-ended low feedback design which tends to cause high distortion (somewhat admitted to in their specs, but of little value when they don't specify the load), and high output impedance.  All of these amps are inexpensive, and due to their designs, will react differently depending on what is plugged into them, which is why their reviews are all over the map.

 

Your Grado's are a relatively easy to drive can, so if you just want to listen to your music, look for an amp with very low output impedance (less than 1 ohm) from a manufacturer who freely shares verifiable specifications.  This should limit you to a small handful of choices right off the bat.  If you do in fact, want to listen to your amp - that's fine.  Head on over to the amp forum here and open your wallet.
 

 

post #11039 of 29490

 


Hello Head-Fiers... I am looking to possibly add two sets of headphones to my arsenal:

 

Noise Cancelling Headphones

After a recent plane trip, I realized that my Sony XB500s just weren't cutting it.  I am looking for some NC headphones that are:

  • good for traveling
  • have decent/good bass
  • minimal sound leakage
  • preferably less than $200

 

I have tried out the Bose QC15 and obviously they are impressive.  However, even at my discounted price of $225, I am hesitant to buy.  Can anyone shed any light on the Audio-Technica ANC7b ($125) or ANC27b ($60)?  The reports of sound leakage worried me (though it probably would be irrelevant on an airplane).

 

Wireless Headphones

I am also interested in some wireless headphones for use around the house.  The easy option would be to buy some Sony RF970s or Rocketfish from my work for only $60.  Those two in particular leave something to be desired, though, in customer feedback.  Open to suggestions for wireless cans, but reliability is more important than sound in this case and I would not like to spend too much.

 

Miscellanea

  • My head and ears are kinda big, if that matters.
  • Dr. Dre Beats:  been there, done that.
     

 

Thanks

post #11040 of 29490
Hey all,
I'm looking for a new set of cheap (under £50) closed headphones now that my HD202's have finally died mad.gif
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Sound quality is my primary concern although I'm not after anything too special as they will only be used through my laptop/phone. As long as there's some improvement over the Sennheisers I'm happy. Primary genres will be hard rock and some metal.
Thanks for any help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum