or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 714  

post #10696 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferRising View Post



Noo i didnt say that
 

so sensitivity(these numbers 100,101,112,1**) actually means how big bass is ?

 

 


No, not really. I feel like you're looking for a lot of absolute answers where there are none. Truth is, there isn't a single "best" headphone that we can recommend you, and just those numbers can't tell you how the headphones are going to sound. At the end of the day, you're just going to have to listen to some headphones to see if you like them or not for your music and preferences.

 

EDIT: Also, in your consideration of closed v. open, where and when do you plan to use your headphones? Are you ever going to use them when you're out and about? Or will it just be at home?


Edited by 50an6xy06r6n - 1/2/12 at 12:54pm
post #10697 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50an6xy06r6n View Post


No, not really. I feel like you're looking for a lot of absolute answers where there are none. Truth is, there isn't a single "best" headphone that we can recommend you, and just those numbers can't tell you how the headphones are going to sound. At the end of the day, you're just going to have to listen to some headphones to see if you like them or not for your music and preferences.

 



well sorry mate but im just trying to educate myself through all of you. so thats why im asking, sorry if im being annoying or something, thought thats why this forum was made in the first place - to give each other advices and the more competent to educate the newbies..

 

 

If I annoy you or something, okay I'll stop posting,  but im trying to learn mate.

 

and the dude said that SRH940 are the best closed phones for me(for my music and gaming) in that price range.. if you dont agree just let me know your reasons(that'd be more helpful) instead of...

 

anyway, my question about sensitivity (dB's) was because I thought that sensitivity is how loud the headphones would sound. example: 112dB would sound louder than 100dB. (but im wrong (maybe))

 

then the dude told me to look ultrasones.. and i got confused.


Edited by LuciferRising - 1/2/12 at 1:10pm
post #10698 of 29490

Hello, everyone.

 

I live in Canada, and have been finding it quite difficult to locate a good pair of headphones at a reasonable price. 

I currently own Sony NC60 headphones, and, from what I've seen, they aren't highly-regarded here. In my opinion, they don't sound that fantastic, but they are quite comfortable.

The music I listen to is as follows:

65% Classical Music

20% Jazz

15% Other (whatever sounds good).

 

I'm looking for a high-quality pair of headphones to replace my Sonys. I'm looking into the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones. People seem to like them a lot. I can get them for 180 dollars from a local retailer. I'm also looking into the Sony MDR-7506 headphones, which I can get from the same retailer for 135 dollars. Both seem to have generally positive reviews.

 

My question is:  Would either of these headphones be a large step up from the headphones I currently own? Also, of the two, which do you think would be more suitable for me. I want these headphones to be rather comfortable and reasonably portable. If you could suggest any other headphones in this price range (preferably under $150 CAD), that are easily obtainable in Canada, what would they be?

 

Thanks so much in advance, guys.

post #10699 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50an6xy06r6n View Post


EDIT: Also, in your consideration of closed v. open, where and when do you plan to use your headphones? Are you ever going to use them when you're out and about? Or will it just be at home?



at home only:)

post #10700 of 29490

So I'm looking into getting a pair of DT 770 880 and 990 in the 250 ohm versions so I can personally try out the differences. 

Anyone know of good used prices for them are? 
Anyone also know how the 600 ohm counter parts are?

post #10701 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylezo View Post

@Trombones13 - have you considered IEM's (In-Ear Monitors)? These are basically like high-end earbuds that you insert into your ear canal. Don't be freaked out! I was when I first heard about them but I was a quick (and enthusiastic) convert after using them. Your budget puts you squarely in the upper mid-range of the IEM market so you'd be able to get something very nice at that price point (or less if you'd like). They fulfill many of your criteria very well - extremely portable, easily driven from a portable music player or laptop (generally no amp needed), and if you get something with a great fit (and there are many out there to choose from), you will quickly forget you are wearing anything. There is pretty much zero chance of sound leakage with IEM's, as well, so no worries there.

 

Based on what you've described, it sounds like you are looking for a bright, lively sound signature. The Fischer Audio DB-02 or Sony MDR-EX600 would be decent places to start for IEM's. I'd point you to this thread as a good place to start some research: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-210-iems-compared-acs-t15-creative-aurvana-3-added-12-22-11

 

Welcome, and good luck :)

 

Thanks for your help!  I like what I've read about the Sony IEMs that you recommended, but am not sure about using IEMs--it may just be due to a lack of knowledge on how to use them correctly (I saw the guide on how to put them in here), but in the past, I've had issues with keeping them in and comfortable in my ear.  Would that just be an issue of having the correct size of inserts and having them in correctly?

 

If you have any suggestions for on-ear headphones as well, those would be welcome, but otherwise, I think the MDR-EX600 may be a good choice. :) Thanks again!
 

 

post #10702 of 29490

wow with all the influx of the newyear there have been alot of "help me i need X for under Y"threads can a mod sticky this thread

mayaswell sticky the fanclub posts whislt your at it :P

post #10703 of 29490

Hey, I listen to all sorts of music, a lot of dance/dubstep/dnb (eg from Nero, Justice, to your more commercial like avicii etc), and quite some indie/rock. Got a pair of Brainwavz M4s on the way and want a full-size next to that. Thinking of Creative Aurvana Live! Or Superlux HD 668B or Superlux 681. Help? =)

post #10704 of 29490

 

Ultrasone 900's with iBasso D2 + Boa... respectable?

 

Hi, I'm considering some headphones and I figured I'd give this thread a shot.

 

I've spent the last week reading reviews cross referenced against my wants and what's available and sensibly priced up here in Canada. From B&H Photo I'm seeing that even after shipping and duty I can get the Ultrasones up here for ~$340 which is Very competitive pricing in Toronto. To drive them I'd be looking at the iBasso D2 + Boa as they seem to be well reviewed here and aside from shipping I'm not paying a premium by being in Canada (vs. U.S. prices). That being said I'm also perusing the Head-Fi market Place for other amp/dac options.

 

I'm eyeing the 900's as I'm not afraid of a little bass and can live with recessed mids so long as they're clear. The genre that they'd see the most of might be Loungy type stuff (RjD2, Amon Tobin, Bonobo which is sort of Jazz infused Electronica (I guess ?)) I do listen to a lot of different genres and considered the D2000's as 'all-arounders' but my impression is that the 900's are simply a higher quality set of cans.

 

As it stands the portable source would be an iPod Nano or a BlackBerry Playbook Tablet streaming Slacker Radio or playing iTunes. Also, I'd like the closed back as they'd be getting used a lot when I am in a coffee shop working in the sketchbook. I also like the carrying which my backpack would accommodate as well as the changeable chord.

 

The gear I'm accustomed to is in my sig.

 

Thanks for any input and Happy New Year to all,

-Bill

 


Edited by BillOhio - 1/2/12 at 8:08pm
post #10705 of 29490

Hey guys, I'm an aspiring Electronic dance music producer (all kinds), I know you get EDM threads alot but they haven't been able to answer my questions. I have a budget of £170, I want something that will play out well on speakers if they play out well on the cans. I would like some thing otherwise neutral but with only a bit of emphasis on the bass.

 

I was considering the Sennheiser HD 598's because they look cool and comfy, but then I heard they leak alot which could be a problem for me seeing as my family would be on the other side of the room. 

 

I have also been looking at

 

Ultrasone Pro 650's

Beyerdynamic DT 880/770 Could someone please explain what the difference is between the 600/250/32 Ohm versions.

Pioneer HDJ-2000 (Not a confident modder but I have family that could help)

 

I was planning to amplify them with a FiiO E9 (not included in the £170 budget)

 

Could anyone recommend better amps or Headphones to get, I am will to stretch my budget to £200, but only if need be.

 

Thanks guys, you did well recommending me IE8's (indirectly as I was lurking back then), hope you can help me out here!

post #10706 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazysloth07 View Post

 

Beyerdynamic DT 880/770 Could someone please explain what the difference is between the 600/250/32 Ohm versions.

 



With higher ohms, the more you need to drive them with an amplifier to make the sound audible and full. You'd want a 25 ohm version if you don't have any proper amplification, but the higher impedance versions generally have better sound quality than the smaller ones.

post #10707 of 29490

just ordered some sennheiser HD-598 for $176.37 this is with $14 for shipping (needed to do 3 day shipping) after spending 3 days reading reviews all day, probably read some 1000+ reviews, I figured these are the best I can get for a $150-200 price range, though I did find some denon D2000 for $200, but hear that these def. need a amp even though the impedance is only 25 and then its recommended that you get the j-cups, this adds like another $200 to the tag and I wont be able to play it with just my nexus or laptop, which sucks

 

So, my main question is this was a good buy right, I wont be disappointed? 

Do you guys recommend anything else open or closed?

I enjoy listening to pretty much a little bit of everything... for the most part though I'd prob say hip hop/rap, R&B, blues, reggae, rock, electronic/dubstep

though you can hear me listening to classical, country and so on as well

 

Also, do these really need a amp... I've read mixed reviews... if I was to get something what would your recommend for $50-100, and would there really be a difference

 

My major concerns with the 598 was that the 1) the bass wouldn't be good enough for dubstep or hip hop/rap (what do you guys say about this?)

                                                                  2) they are open so sound will leak, though the more i think about it the less I care about other people hearing my music as long as I am enjoying it

                                                                  3) felt like the cable was to long, but i can always cut them and put some pailiccs on them... anyone know where I can buy a extra cable... given that I **** the mod up, which i just might

 

ps: theses are my first high end pair of cans... I've listened to all my music with ****ty cheap ears buds, I think its time for a upgrade... was this a good buy, do you guys recommoned anything else for this price range? Also you guys recommend any good music (any genre)... is there a music recommendation section in this forum? looking to expand on my current collection need some solid recommendation

 

 

post #10708 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn26 View Post
just ordered some sennheiser HD-598 for $176.37 this is with $14 for shipping (needed to do 3 day shipping) after spending 3 days reading reviews all day, probably read some 1000+ reviews, I figured these are the best I can get for a $150-200 price range, though I did find some denon D2000 for $200, but hear that these def. need a amp even though the impedance is only 25 and then its recommended that you get the j-cups, this adds like another $200 to the tag and I wont be able to play it with just my nexus or laptop, which sucks

So, my main question is this was a good buy right, I wont be disappointed? 

Do you guys recommend anything else open or closed?

I enjoy listening to pretty much a little bit of everything... for the most part though I'd prob say hip hop/rap, R&B, blues, reggae, rock, electronic/dubstep

though you can hear me listening to classical, country and so on as well

Also, do these really need a amp... I've read mixed reviews... if I was to get something what would your recommend for $50-100, and would there really be a difference

My major concerns with the 598 was that the 1) the bass wouldn't be good enough for dubstep or hip hop/rap (what do you guys say about this?)

                                                                  2) they are open so sound will leak, though the more i think about it the less I care about other people hearing my music as long as I am enjoying it

                                                                  3) felt like the cable was to long, but i can always cut them and put some pailiccs on them... anyone know where I can buy a extra cable... given that I **** the mod up, which i just might

ps: theses are my first high end pair of cans... I've listened to all my music with ****ty cheap ears buds, I think its time for a upgrade... was this a good buy, do you guys recommoned anything else for this price range? Also you guys recommend any good music (any genre)... is there a music recommendation section in this forum? looking to expand on my current collection need some solid recommendation


Never heard anyone say the HD-598 is a bassy headphone.

Headphone amplifier usually brings out the best of any headphone.

Fiio E9 headphone amplifier goes for around $100.

 

 

post #10709 of 29490

thanks that was my concern that there wouldn't be enough bass, for music like dubstep... should this be a major concern

post #10710 of 29490

Hello,

I actually posted an individual thread for this but I figured I would post here as well.

 

I have a budget of no more than $300.  I am interested in an over the ear closed headphone that has great sound quality and comfort.  I intend to use them during schoolwork, and limited air flight.  They would be used mainly with my iPhone and computer, though I would buy a smaller mobile amplifier if necessary.   I typically listen to indie rock, hip hop, and drum and bass. 

 

Like I said, they should definitely be comfortable.  I want to feel isolated when using them, so the more they seal the better.  Size and portability do not matter to me.  I won't be out and about while using them.  I've read about the AT m50's, and that they are great for the price, but I was wondering if there were better HP's out there for another few bucks.

 

Also keep in mind I will be buying them on amazon, as I have a gift card I'd like to use.

 

Thanks for all of the advice.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum