or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 700  

post #10486 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureFilmmaker View Post

Hey guys. I'm looking to get a fairly decent set of headphones on about a $130. But I can probably flex that a bit if I need to. The main usage of this is going to be for gaming as well as watching movies on my PC. Also may use it on my Zune from time to time.

 

I have been eyeing the Sennheiser HD 555s or 558s, but they are slightly out of my price range it appears so I could settle for the 518s. I've also looked at the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s, which are highly recommended but I fear that they will slide off my head quite easily. Generally, my most primary concern is comfort and durability. The softer or more cushiony the better. I'm mixed on whether or not to get closed ear or open air, I just want to compare the best recommendation for both for my price range and for my uses. I'm probably just getting a Zalman clip on mic so I don't blow money on gaming headsets that don't perform or last worth a damn.


The 558 have gone on sale around $130-140 before. In fact I'm pretty sure they were that low just a couple weeks ago. Be patient and I'm sure prices will drop again. I've also seen used 555's go for under $100.

 

Open headphones "generally" have a smoother frequency response and a better sense of soundstage. Closed headphones provide isolation (very important if there is any ambient noise or people you don't want to disturb) and tend to have a stronger bass emphasis but wobblier treble.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bswan View Post


 

Thanks for the replies; all very helpful. 

 

I had ranked the HD598 slightly higher than the AD900 as several here mentioned more physical comfort and "ease of listening" of the 598 for extended use, though both seem to have good sound for my classical and jazz interests.

 

nikp suggested looking for used HD600; I'm concerned that my old Denon DRA-375RD receiver might be lacking, not as good as with a headphone amp (which seems to be needed for the hd600 and especially for the hd650).  My receiver should be sufficient for the hd598/558 or ad900.  Correct?

 

PurpleAngel suggested Electronics Expo for the HD558 (item seems unavailable this morning, though the hd598 price with coupon is good).  Reviewers here have said the HD598 is preferred over the HD558 for overall sound and somewhat for comfort.  While I don't like paying for the fancy wood inserts on the 598 and realize they share basic components, seems to me that a $30 to $50 price difference is worth it for the sound and comfort advantages.

 

Further comments appreciated.


I personally find the Audio Technicas more comfortable than the Senns, but the Senns do hold much more securely on my head. The Senns also tend to go on sale more frequently.

 

Your receiver should be more than enough for even the HD6xx series. They're find for anything short of orthos really.

 

I don't consider there to be huge sound differences between the Senn HD5xx line (or even into the 6xx line for that matter; Sennheiser has a pretty good house sound across all their headphones). That said, when they are on sale the prices differences are small enough that you may as well go for the higher model.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead1 View Post

Edit:sorry for the repost, but i only got one response on my first post. Hello. I currently have ath m50s and hd 558 and im unsatisfied with them. I think maybe im just itching for a really good pair of headphones. Thehd 558 and ath m50s just dont have the top of the line claroty that i want. So... Now that thats said an done, i moved my budget to under $300. They must be open, have good bass (i listen to rap, but i dont like bloated bass... Just good balanced bass). They also have to be easy to drive as i will be using the headphones with my sansa fuze. Only exception is if there is a good headphone and amp combo for less than $300. Btw im wantingthese headphones/ headphones and amp combo to be lots better than my ath m50s and hd 558. Thank you so so much for your help and time. God bless.


We could give you a better answer if you tell us what it is exactly that you like or dislike about the M50 and 598. Can you be more specific in terms of "clarity"... do the vocals feel muffled? do you want the cymbals to ring more/less? do you want more/less bass punch or rumble?

 

 

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkversion View Post

Since returning to Head-Fi just a couple weeks ago I'm amazed to see how many new headphones and companies there are from just 5 years ago. It's great to see the headphone market grow so big but that also just adds to the frustration of trying to pick up another set, too many choices which is a good/bad thing.

 

Wanted to get some recommendations for headphones with a ~$250 budget.

 

I thought about reacquiring some AKG K701's but there is this whole new market of things to try out that I don't know where to start.

 

I'm not a fan of the Sennheiser signature.

 

I LOVE the Grado sound. I loved the K701's.

 

I haven't really tried anything from Beyerdynamic or AudioTechnica and want to find something in that line that I can get comfortable with.

 

I will be using it with a Fiio E10 but plan to add something beefier down the line, don't get me started on the amount of new amp designs there are now.

 

I listen to everything so want a good all-arounder but seeing as I have Grados for rock/electronic what is something that will pair well for female vocals, jazz, classical? I'd like to try something that really shines in the midrange.

 

Thanks for any help.

 

 


I find that the Grados from 60 to 225 are all kind of the same. The 325 rings a bit more in the treble. The HF-2 has a bit more body to the midbass. If I were to go with Grados again I'd probably get a 60 and experiment (again) with more modding.

 

If trying out Beyers for the first time, the DT880 is a good starting point. Balanced sound with decent staging. The 770 is bassy and has superb isolation. The 990 is more V shaped with engaging energy but is too harsh to my ears (though if you love the grado sound this might be ok for you). Beyers however like to have extra amp power behind them.

 

The default starters for Audio Technica are the AD700 and the M50. Worlds apart in terms of sound; the AD700 is spacious in the middle and is fantastic for vocals, but rolls off at the top and bottom, and has a huge soundstage. Moving up the line there provides better extension across the lows and highs and improves the mids moreso. The M50 has decent lows and highs, but a slightly recessed midrange and stage.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead87 View Post

Is there a benefit to high impedance headphones with an amp over easy to drive headphones without (or with something like the E7?).  A good amp is obviously an added cost, and I'm wondering what the overall benefit is vs. just being able to use a specific set of headphones that one particularly wants.  Do high impedance headphones exist so people can get the most out of high quality amps, or do some cans just need to be high impedance because of their style?


High impedance in theory means greater control over the diaphragm as there are more turns in the voice coil, etc. and you also get a larger damping factor (the ratio of load impedance over output impedance) which is another factor of diaphragm control.  They also require larger voltge swing but draw less current, which in general from an electrical standpoint is easier for an amp (even a built in one in an ipod) to drive. On the flipside, many portable devices may not be able to provide the voltage swing necessary to achieve satisfactory listening volumes. A lot of the high impedance numbers are also holdovers from the olden days that had to deal with electrical transmission and other problems that are no longer a factor today. In audiophilia, bigger is also perceived as better, so people will pay price premiums for bigger numbers.

 

For most consumers, there is not going to be any significant difference unless you sit there and vigorously compare back and forth and have some measuring equipment with you.

 

Aside from impedance, sensitivity is also an oft overlooked factor and in many cases is actually more important than impedance.

 

One case where high impedance headphones are preferable is when you have a tube amplifier that does not have a transformer coupled output. These amps have a high output impedance, so you want a load with an even higher impedance in order to provide adequate damping over the headphone driver.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogan View Post

Currently using the Panasonic RP-HTX7's (in avatar) and looking for an upgrade

 

I listen to 'math' and 'post' rock (complex melody but quite heavy rock) as well as some electronic/psych type stuff (Caribou, four tet, flying lotus) so a nice bass is good but nothing bass 'boosted', i was looking at the HD598's as i love the look of them but i dont know if theyre suited to my type of music?

 

The HD598 is the top end of my budget (£150/160) Wich is what like 250USD?

 

Also considered getting the FiiO E7 not sure if its worth while just now? on sale for £50 on amazon atm


The HD598 are good, or possibly a Grado (or an Alessandro since you're not in the US).

 

post #10487 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobertoq View Post

I'm looking for some headphones around $100 ($150 max) and portability is not an issue. I don't have an amp and don't want to buy one and I listen mostly to rock (Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan...).

 

I love soundstage, details and mids (in that order), and based on my research the AD700s are perfect for me. Are they the best option? My concern is that AD700s aren't always recommended for rock. The SR-60i's are about the same price and considered great for rock, but don't have any soundstage. Do you think the Grados are really that much better for rock, or will the AD700s be fine? Or are there better options?

 

Thanks!


The Grado soundstage is sort of like you're sitting in the middle of the stage, which can be good or bad.

 

post #10488 of 29490

Hi guys. Okay, so I'm looking for my first pair of over the ear headphones EVER. Previously I've only delved into IEMs (Head Direct RE0s). I mainly listen to Rock and various Electronica (trance).

 

My price range is a max of 150 (maybe I can reach into 160 as well). I will be listening to these headphones via computer. I would like these to preferably not require amps.

 

One last question: a sound card is not necessary if using headphones via computer, correct? Thanks in advance to any and all replies.

 

Also, were there any good sales that I missed out on? I probably should have asked this question before Christmas so i probably missed out on a lot. :(


Edited by hipolymer - 12/27/11 at 1:14pm
post #10489 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobertoq View Post

I'm looking for some headphones around $100 ($150 max) and portability is not an issue. I don't have an amp and don't want to buy one and I listen mostly to rock (Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan...).

 

I love soundstage, details and mids (in that order), and based on my research the AD700s are perfect for me. Are they the best option? My concern is that AD700s aren't always recommended for rock. The SR-60i's are about the same price and considered great for rock, but don't have any soundstage. Do you think the Grados are really that much better for rock, or will the AD700s be fine? Or are there better options?

 

Thanks!


hmm look into some fischer audio options like the fa-011 or maybe even some closed audio technicas or the dt770, which sounded pretty good without an amp, and on a computer it sounds really good. 

 

post #10490 of 29490

For progressive house (Deadmau5), rock (Foo Fighters, Jet, Cage the Elephant), and a LOT of gaming (PC, all genres), would modded HD555's be a good match? These seem like the best value for around $150 as they essentially become 595s, but maybe there is a better match for me? I like a good amount of base in my music, but for the rock I like the guitar and vocals to be emphasized. Finally, for games, I want the headphones to have a reasonable sound stage, but also keep that cinematic experience alive.

 

These will be driven by a Fiio e7/e9 combo eventually, I only have the E7 so far.

 

post #10491 of 29490

Looking for a pair of closed headphones that are around $200 but with the soundstage and focus on mids and vocals that come from an open headset.

 

Any ideas? I like the look of the Phiaton ms400s but don't know much about their sound signature. Maybe the ATH-A900s?

 

post #10492 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

I find that the Grados from 60 to 225 are all kind of the same. The 325 rings a bit more in the treble. The HF-2 has a bit more body to the midbass. If I were to go with Grados again I'd probably get a 60 and experiment (again) with more modding.

 

If trying out Beyers for the first time, the DT880 is a good starting point. Balanced sound with decent staging. The 770 is bassy and has superb isolation. The 990 is more V shaped with engaging energy but is too harsh to my ears (though if you love the grado sound this might be ok for you). Beyers however like to have extra amp power behind them.

 

The default starters for Audio Technica are the AD700 and the M50. Worlds apart in terms of sound; the AD700 is spacious in the middle and is fantastic for vocals, but rolls off at the top and bottom, and has a huge soundstage. Moving up the line there provides better extension across the lows and highs and improves the mids moreso. The M50 has decent lows and highs, but a slightly recessed midrange and stage.
 

 

Just what I was looking for .. thanks for the reply.

 

How would you rate the Beyerdynamic in terms of comfort?

 

I've been reading up on the ATH-AD900's and apart from their high ratings for comfort they seem to be a good headphone for their mids/soundstage. This might be the direction I'm looking to go with but I have that nagging feeling that I'll want the deep bass from the DT770's.

 

Any recommendations for a headphone that can merge the AT's mids with some likeness of the DT770 bass?

post #10493 of 29490

Can anyone recommend a decent set of headphones with the lowest sound leakage possible?

 

I know most/all are not a fan of the sound quality of the V-Moda Crossfade LP headphones, but all the reviews I read (even the ones that said the SQ wasn't great) said that they leaked very little sound. I decided to try out the Crossfade LPs mainly based on their superior build quality and nice case, and found the sound quality to be acceptable for me... However they seem to leak a LOT of sound. I work in a very quiet office and I don't want to disturb people. Even at home, my girlfriend complained that she could hear my music.

 

I am by no means blasting them. The volume is only around half way up (which is where I normally listen) and even at lower levels they still leak quite loudly (comparitive to intended the level).

 

I even tried putting the headphones together (and on my leg as well) and put moderate pressure on them and I could still hear them. I read somewhere that it might be the v shaped vents, so I tried holding my fingers over them, still leaked...

 

Maybe there is something wrong with my pair? I considered calling V-moda, but I thought I would sound dumb and they wouldn't/couldn't do much.

 

Or maybe I'm being unrealistic for an over the ear headphone and need to get some kind of in ear earbuds or something that has a smaller driver and more isolated in my ear?

 

Can someone please point me in the right direction? As much as I'd love to drop a couple hundred dollars on a nice set of headphones, its really not in the budget at the moment... so hopefully something <$100 (or maybe slightly over) can be found that will fit my application. They don't need to be super high quality since I'm not really a true audiophile (as referenced by my thoughts of the v-modas), just mainly need something that doesn't leak and sounds decent.

 

By the way, I'm mostly listening to rock, metal and dubstep.

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated...


Edited by TerminatioN - 12/27/11 at 1:53pm
post #10494 of 29490

I am looking to add another pair of full size headphones to my desktop system. The only pair I have at this time are the Senheiser 650s. Isolation is not needed, and I prefer the soundstage of open phones. I listen primarily to rock and folk. I would like to keep the street price to $250.00 or less. I have been looking at the AKG Q710s, because all who describe their sound do so in a way that causes me to believe that they are materially different to the 650s, but I am concerned they may not produce sufficient bass to satisfy my listening preferences.  The AKGs also fit my budget. I am also intrigued by the AKGs because they are described to sound more lively than the 650s, which is what I am looking for.  I am open to all suggestions, but I have worn several Grados and they are just too uncomfortable to me. . Thanks all for the help.


Edited by auee - 12/27/11 at 2:16pm
post #10495 of 29490

Hello, I am new to the headphone market and have been happily nursing my Bose Triport Around Ear headphones until I'm just getting tired of them after 4 years (they broke 3 years ago). I am looking for headphones that offer directional awareness for gaming, have a good bass for listening to music, are very comfortable for extended use, sound phenomenal for watching movies. Is there anything like that? Two more things they have to be Around the Ear and Closed so no one can hear my ;). There are just so many options out there right now and I'm so confused with everything. I'd like to stay under $200 if at all possible. I have a Creative X-FI XtremeMusic sound card too if that helps. Please help!

 

Thank you!!


Edited by Aquilas - 12/27/11 at 3:14pm
post #10496 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureFilmmaker View Post
Hey guys. I'm looking to get a fairly decent set of headphones on about a $130. But I can probably flex that a bit if I need to. The main usage of this is going to be for gaming as well as watching movies on my PC. Also may use it on my Zune from time to time.

I have been eyeing the Sennheiser HD 555s or 558s, but they are slightly out of my price range it appears so I could settle for the 518s. I've also looked at the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s, which are highly recommended but I fear that they will slide off my head quite easily. Generally, my most primary concern is comfort and durability. The softer or more cushiony the better. I'm mixed on whether or not to get closed ear or open air, I just want to compare the best recommendation for both for my price range and for my uses. I'm probably just getting a Zalman clip on mic so I don't blow money on gaming headsets that don't perform or last worth a damn.


Best price I can find for the Sennheiser HD-558s is amazon, $137.

 

 

post #10497 of 29490

How are the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's for heavy metal, hard rock? That's mainly what i'm going to be using them for and just wondering if I made a good decision. Are they a little bass-heavy for this kind of music, or is the sound pretty even across the board?

 

 

post #10498 of 29490
598 or 242HD for acousitc, piano, vox, softrock and indie?

Thanks
post #10499 of 29490

Alright Head-Fi, another first post noob looking for a point in the right direction.  I'm looking to buy my first set of nice headphones (I'm sick of jamming $20 POS IEM's in my ears) in the $200 and under range.  I've done my research (I think, though you are free to point out what I've missed) and read tons of reviews and I don't know how to narrow my list from here.  About me:

 

Genres: A mix of everything with emphasis on spoken word (I listen to a lot of podcasts), indie/alternative, folk and acoustic, and ambient or mellow electronica, though recently I've found myself listening to a lot of dubstep.  That was is no particular order; I'd say it's a pretty even mix of those genres.  I'm definitely not a bass head, but I'd say I tend to like a bit more oomph on that end of the spectrum.

 

Listening Set-up (or lack thereof):  Mostly straight from my laptop, a Sony Vaio S if that matters, and my iPhone 4S. No amp. I like to listen on the go, so sound isolation is important for those noisy coffeeshops and buses, but portability is handy too.  At the end of the day, it doesn't have to get too small in my backpack, but if it didn't take up the whole thing, well, I wouldn't mind.

 

iPhone controls are a must. That really limits the selection, but I've been thinking that if I get a pair with a detachable cord, I could replace it with a 3rd party cord that includes the mic and remote.  With further research, it seems like a lot of manufacturers use proprietary connections (is this true?), but if you can point me towards ones just with a detachable cord, from there I can research whether this is possible or not.

 

On-Ear vs Over-Ear: At first I was trying to look at over-ear only, for the isolation, but this with the iPhone controls seemed too restrictive.  Plus, on-ear tend to be more portable.  So this one's up in the air at the moment, but I'd be happy to hear people's thoughts as to what makes sense for my needs.

 

Closed: For the noise isolation.

 

I listen to bad sources:  It's sad to say, but I transcoded my music way down to fit more onto the iPhone, so cans that go easy on poor quality sources would be good.

 

Looks are somewhat important: No Koss PortaPros, but no Beats or Fanny Wangs either.  I prefer simple understated designs. Here's looking at you, TMA-1's.  But, looks are about the least important aspect of the cans.

 

So that's my criteria.  I have very little experience with cans, but this is what I've learned from trying on ones in the stores:

 

I like the Senn PX100's. Too new to it all to accurately describe why, but they just sounded great. I realize that they are open-back, which gives them a better soundstage.  The Sony Studio Monitors were too cold and crisp; I like warmer than that.  Beats and the Sony Extra-Bass are both way too bass heavy.  I liked the Bower & Wilkins P5's.

 

Finally my list of options I'm still considering:

 

AiAiAi TMA-1

AKG K450

Denon AH-D310R

Klipsch Image/Reference One

Pioneer HDJ-500K

Sennheiser HD 218i
Sennheiser PX 200 IIi
V-Moda Crossfade LP
V-Moda Crossfade M-80

 

How am I doing?  Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Let me know if there's any more information that I left out or could be helpful.  Thanks in advance!!!

 

- t

post #10500 of 29490


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post

Hi guys. Okay, so I'm looking for my first pair of over the ear headphones EVER. Previously I've only delved into IEMs (Head Direct RE0s). I mainly listen to Rock and various Electronica (trance).

 

My price range is a max of 150 (maybe I can reach into 160 as well). I will be listening to these headphones via computer. I would like these to preferably not require amps.

 

One last question: a sound card is not necessary if using headphones via computer, correct? Thanks in advance to any and all replies.

 

Also, were there any good sales that I missed out on? I probably should have asked this question before Christmas so i probably missed out on a lot. :(


We have several sales/deals threads floating around on the main headphones forum. Just read up on the latest few posts to see what's there. 

 

A computer should be sufficient for headphones. 

 

Two good starters that are relatively easy to find and don't need extra amping: Sennheiser HD558, Audio Technica M50

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic72 View Post

For progressive house (Deadmau5), rock (Foo Fighters, Jet, Cage the Elephant), and a LOT of gaming (PC, all genres), would modded HD555's be a good match? These seem like the best value for around $150 as they essentially become 595s, but maybe there is a better match for me? I like a good amount of base in my music, but for the rock I like the guitar and vocals to be emphasized. Finally, for games, I want the headphones to have a reasonable sound stage, but also keep that cinematic experience alive.

 

These will be driven by a Fiio e7/e9 combo eventually, I only have the E7 so far.

 


The 555 are good all-purpose headphones, and you should be able to find them closer to 100-120. You can find the 558 below $150 as well. 

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgott44 View Post

Looking for a pair of closed headphones that are around $200 but with the soundstage and focus on mids and vocals that come from an open headset.

 

Any ideas? I like the look of the Phiaton ms400s but don't know much about their sound signature. Maybe the ATH-A900s?

 


Check my profile for a review on the MS400. 

 

I used to have the A900 as well. Decent headphone overall, and better soundstage and comfort than the MS400, though sonically I preferred the MS400. 

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkversion View Post

 

Just what I was looking for .. thanks for the reply.

 

How would you rate the Beyerdynamic in terms of comfort?

 

I've been reading up on the ATH-AD900's and apart from their high ratings for comfort they seem to be a good headphone for their mids/soundstage. This might be the direction I'm looking to go with but I have that nagging feeling that I'll want the deep bass from the DT770's.

 

Any recommendations for a headphone that can merge the AT's mids with some likeness of the DT770 bass?


The Beyers are quite good for comfort. Good padding on the earpads and headband, moderate clamp on the consumer model (a bit more on the pro models). 

 

If you're normally looking for something that reaches a bit deeper than an Audio Technica, my usual recommendation would be a Sennheiser. If you don't want that though... perhaps consider some of the cheaper orthos available. There's the HE-500, and the upcoming HE-400 at $350 which is generating a bit of stir. 

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatioN View Post

Can anyone recommend a decent set of headphones with the lowest sound leakage possible?

 

I know most/all are not a fan of the sound quality of the V-Moda Crossfade LP headphones, but all the reviews I read (even the ones that said the SQ wasn't great) said that they leaked very little sound. I decided to try out the Crossfade LPs mainly based on their superior build quality and nice case, and found the sound quality to be acceptable for me... However they seem to leak a LOT of sound. I work in a very quiet office and I don't want to disturb people. Even at home, my girlfriend complained that she could hear my music.

 

I am by no means blasting them. The volume is only around half way up (which is where I normally listen) and even at lower levels they still leak quite loudly (comparitive to intended the level).

 

I even tried putting the headphones together (and on my leg as well) and put moderate pressure on them and I could still hear them. I read somewhere that it might be the v shaped vents, so I tried holding my fingers over them, still leaked...

 

Maybe there is something wrong with my pair? I considered calling V-moda, but I thought I would sound dumb and they wouldn't/couldn't do much.

 

Or maybe I'm being unrealistic for an over the ear headphone and need to get some kind of in ear earbuds or something that has a smaller driver and more isolated in my ear?

 

Can someone please point me in the right direction? As much as I'd love to drop a couple hundred dollars on a nice set of headphones, its really not in the budget at the moment... so hopefully something <$100 (or maybe slightly over) can be found that will fit my application. They don't need to be super high quality since I'm not really a true audiophile (as referenced by my thoughts of the v-modas), just mainly need something that doesn't leak and sounds decent.

 

By the way, I'm mostly listening to rock, metal and dubstep.

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated...


Sennheiser HD280. I have yet to find anything that isolates better than those in that budget range that isn't an IEM. 

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auee View Post

I am looking to add another pair of full size headphones to my desktop system. The only pair I have at this time are the Senheiser 650s. Isolation is not needed, and I prefer the soundstage of open phones. I listen primarily to rock and folk. I would like to keep the street price to $250.00 or less. I have been looking at the AKG Q710s, because all who describe their sound do so in a way that causes me to believe that they are materially different to the 650s, but I am concerned they may not produce sufficient bass to satisfy my listening preferences.  The AKGs also fit my budget. I am also intrigued by the AKGs because they are described to sound more lively than the 650s, which is what I am looking for.  I am open to all suggestions, but I have worn several Grados and they are just too uncomfortable to me. . Thanks all for the help.


 

I would either go with the AKG or the best Audio Technica ADxxx you can find within budget.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquilas View Post

Hello, I am new to the headphone market and have been happily nursing my Bose Triport Around Ear headphones until I'm just getting tired of them after 4 years (they broke 3 years ago). I am looking for headphones that offer directional awareness for gaming, have a good bass for listening to music, are very comfortable for extended use, sound phenomenal for watching movies. Is there anything like that? Two more things they have to be Around the Ear and Closed so no one can hear my ;). There are just so many options out there right now and I'm so confused with everything. I'd like to stay under $200 if at all possible. I have a Creative X-FI XtremeMusic sound card too if that helps. Please help!

 

Thank you!!


Not recommended often, but I think the Beyer DT250 is a good choice for a closed gaming headphone. Take a look at the first post in this thread for a link to a gaming headphone review.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Intentions View Post

How are the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's for heavy metal, hard rock? That's mainly what i'm going to be using them for and just wondering if I made a good decision. Are they a little bass-heavy for this kind of music, or is the sound pretty even across the board?

 

 


The M50's are just fine for metal and rock. Actually, I would say those would be the preferred genres for those headphones.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgsbison View Post

598 or 242HD for acousitc, piano, vox, softrock and indie?
Thanks


Personally I could go either way on those. I'd just get whichever I could find a better deal on. Or if you get a chance, try them out for comfort and choose that way. 

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbern View Post

Alright Head-Fi, another first post noob looking for a point in the right direction.  I'm looking to buy my first set of nice headphones (I'm sick of jamming $20 POS IEM's in my ears) in the $200 and under range.  I've done my research (I think, though you are free to point out what I've missed) and read tons of reviews and I don't know how to narrow my list from here.  About me:

 

Genres: A mix of everything with emphasis on spoken word (I listen to a lot of podcasts), indie/alternative, folk and acoustic, and ambient or mellow electronica, though recently I've found myself listening to a lot of dubstep.  That was is no particular order; I'd say it's a pretty even mix of those genres.  I'm definitely not a bass head, but I'd say I tend to like a bit more oomph on that end of the spectrum.

 

Listening Set-up (or lack thereof):  Mostly straight from my laptop, a Sony Vaio S if that matters, and my iPhone 4S. No amp. I like to listen on the go, so sound isolation is important for those noisy coffeeshops and buses, but portability is handy too.  At the end of the day, it doesn't have to get too small in my backpack, but if it didn't take up the whole thing, well, I wouldn't mind.

 

iPhone controls are a must. That really limits the selection, but I've been thinking that if I get a pair with a detachable cord, I could replace it with a 3rd party cord that includes the mic and remote.  With further research, it seems like a lot of manufacturers use proprietary connections (is this true?), but if you can point me towards ones just with a detachable cord, from there I can research whether this is possible or not.

 

On-Ear vs Over-Ear: At first I was trying to look at over-ear only, for the isolation, but this with the iPhone controls seemed too restrictive.  Plus, on-ear tend to be more portable.  So this one's up in the air at the moment, but I'd be happy to hear people's thoughts as to what makes sense for my needs.

 

Closed: For the noise isolation.

 

I listen to bad sources:  It's sad to say, but I transcoded my music way down to fit more onto the iPhone, so cans that go easy on poor quality sources would be good.

 

Looks are somewhat important: No Koss PortaPros, but no Beats or Fanny Wangs either.  I prefer simple understated designs. Here's looking at you, TMA-1's.  But, looks are about the least important aspect of the cans.

 

So that's my criteria.  I have very little experience with cans, but this is what I've learned from trying on ones in the stores:

 

I like the Senn PX100's. Too new to it all to accurately describe why, but they just sounded great. I realize that they are open-back, which gives them a better soundstage.  The Sony Studio Monitors were too cold and crisp; I like warmer than that.  Beats and the Sony Extra-Bass are both way too bass heavy.  I liked the Bower & Wilkins P5's.

 

Finally my list of options I'm still considering:

 

AiAiAi TMA-1

AKG K450

Denon AH-D310R

Klipsch Image/Reference One

Pioneer HDJ-500K

Sennheiser HD 218i
Sennheiser PX 200 IIi
V-Moda Crossfade LP
V-Moda Crossfade M-80

 

How am I doing?  Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Let me know if there's any more information that I left out or could be helpful.  Thanks in advance!!!

 

- t


I'd go with the Pioneer or the Senn PX200-IIi. The M80 would have been an easy pick from that group except it has terrible isolation (though if you don't mind sacrificing soundstage, closing up the vents aids considerably). 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum