or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum - Page 674  

post #10096 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post


 


Do you expect to get any sort of meaningful answer just asking for "the best"?...

 

Heck, just go to the first post of this thread and find the link to Joker's big review compilation. Scroll down to his chart and pick from the top of the list there. 

 

- I was under the assumption that most users drive their cans with amps. as such there would be less options/selections to choose from for a non-amp headphone! my mistake.

 

i will take a look at the list.

 

post #10097 of 29490

The requirements for amping are for the most part exaggerated on the forums. The majority of headphones out there are fine out of ipods and the like (which do already have amps built in). 

post #10098 of 29490

 I thank anyone in advance right now! 

 

Ok so I'm looking for a set of cans under $200, don't mind if they are open/closed. Right now they would be driven by the e7/e9 combo in some fashion, and I don't plan to get a more powerful setup any time soon (just don't have the cash). I have RE-0's right now and I love them, and would like to get a set of over the ears that have a similar sound signature for home use mostly, but with a greater amount of fast/tight bass. I'm no bass head, but I like a decent amount of it for when I do listen to heavy bass songs (a good bit more than the RE's offer). Almost forgot I pretty much listen from my iPhone 4, but I couldn't care less if they have a mic/music controls.

 

 With all that said here is, specifically, what enters my ears on a regular basis. Bullet For My Valentine, Breakin Benjamin, 30 Seconds to Mars, Frank Sinatra, Death Cab for Cutie, Postal Service, Avenged Sevenfold, Saosin, Taking Back Sunday, Lupe Fiasco, Kid Cudi, Drake, Kanye West, Chevelle, 10 Years, various indie rock, good bit of trance/vocal trance (ATB heavily), Rise Against, and Muse. On any given day I will listen to probably all of this at least once.

 

 I had my eyes set on the M-50's, but then I saw great reviews for the VMODA M/V-80's, and then I figured I might as well ask you guys for help on choosing one of those two, or something else altogether that better fits my sound preference. Also I would prefer over the ear as I wear glasses, but on ear is not a deal breaker. I know my post may be a little long in the tooth, but I hope it fully shows what I'm looking for. Thanks again for any help even if it is just a link to a thread I should read. I'll keep looking around in the meantime.

 

 Alex


Edited by KillforKandy - 12/13/11 at 9:34am
post #10099 of 29490

I bought some 598's recently and am looking for a decent desktop amp around 100 bucks for these. Can anyone recommend me one?


Edited by Minosmal - 12/13/11 at 10:30am
post #10100 of 29490

The Fiio E9 would fit the requirements.  It is also upgradable in the sense that if you need a DAC you could just add the E7.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minosmal View Post

I bought some 598's recently and am looking for a decent desktop amp around 100 bucks for these. Can anyone recommend me one?

 

post #10101 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillforKandy View Post

 I thank anyone in advance right now! 

 

Ok so I'm looking for a set of cans under $200, don't mind if they are open/closed. Right now they would be driven by the e7/e9 combo in some fashion, and I don't plan to get a more powerful setup any time soon (just don't have the cash). I have RE-0's right now and I love them, and would like to get a set of over the ears that have a similar sound signature for home use mostly, but with a greater amount of fast/tight bass. I'm no bass head, but I like a decent amount of it for when I do listen to heavy bass songs (a good bit more than the RE's offer). Almost forgot I pretty much listen from my iPhone 4, but I couldn't care less if they have a mic/music controls.

 

 With all that said here is, specifically, what enters my ears on a regular basis. Bullet For My Valentine, Breakin Benjamin, 30 Seconds to Mars, Frank Sinatra, Death Cab for Cutie, Postal Service, Avenged Sevenfold, Saosin, Taking Back Sunday, Lupe Fiasco, Kid Cudi, Drake, Kanye West, Chevelle, 10 Years, various indie rock, good bit of trance/vocal trance (ATB heavily), Rise Against, and Muse. On any given day I will listen to probably all of this at least once.

 

 I had my eyes set on the M-50's, but then I saw great reviews for the VMODA M/V-80's, and then I figured I might as well ask you guys for help on choosing one of those two, or something else altogether that better fits my sound preference. Also I would prefer over the ear as I wear glasses, but on ear is not a deal breaker. I know my post may be a little long in the tooth, but I hope it fully shows what I'm looking for. Thanks again for any help even if it is just a link to a thread I should read. I'll keep looking around in the meantime.

 

 Alex


The M80 is a really good all-rounder. You could also consider a Phiaton MS300/400.

 

post #10102 of 29490


Thanks, i'll probably get those then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxid10t View Post

The Fiio E9 would fit the requirements.  It is also upgradable in the sense that if you need a DAC you could just add the E7.
 

 



 

post #10103 of 29490

Hello, 

 

I'm looking for a set of cans preferably around $100, but anything under $150 is fine too if they are much better quality. I'll primarily be using them to listen to hip-hop, funk and soul music, as well as some gaming and movie/TV watching. I have roommates, so they would have to be closed, and I would prefer over-ear ones. I'm new to the whole headphone scene, and have just been using an old $20 cheapo pair, so anything would be a step up. 

 

Thanks,

Caje.

post #10104 of 29490

Im looking for somw good bass headphones for my iPod for under £150. The two I have in mind are either the audio technica es7s, denon d1100 as both have good reviews. What is your opinion out of these two and any other reccommendations? thanks.

post #10105 of 29490

Whats up guys. This whole buying headphones process is becoming way more complicated than i wanted it to be haha. I'm new to this whole headphones thing. I previously had beats by dre, hated them. Uncomfortable, they completely fell apart after a year, and not worth the price. So then i was looking at the bose ae2's but i guess those arent worth the price either. I really like the design, shape and size of the Sony MDR 7506 but they seem to professional for just listening. i was also looking at the Creative Aurvana live and the Audio technica ath-m35 but they seem a bit mediocre. Anyone care to shed light on this? I am not looking for big bulky headphones like Sennheiser's, i want more of the sony mdr 7506 look. 

 

Thanks

 

post #10106 of 29490

I don't see how the Sony 7506s would be 'too professional.' Nevertheless, the Aurvana Live! has gotten good feedback. If the Aurvana is indeed a rebranded D1000, then they probably sound pretty good. You could also consider the Sony MDR-ZX700s and Shure SRH440s. Some people also like the KRK KNS-6400s, although I haven't personally heard them myself. Those four are all solid headphones, although the SRH440s might be a bit bulky for your taste.

post #10107 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345142 View Post

I don't see how the Sony 7506s would be 'too professional.' Nevertheless, the Aurvana Live! has gotten good feedback. If the Aurvana is indeed a rebranded D1000, then they probably sound pretty good. You could also consider the Sony MDR-ZX700s and Shure SRH440s. Some people also like the KRK KNS-6400s, although I haven't personally heard them myself. Those four are all solid headphones, although the SRH440s might be a bit bulky for your taste.


 

Well my friend makes music and he told the 7506's are designed for recording and mixing music not so much just casual listening. Great, ill check them all out and see which ones I like best. Thanks a lot! 

post #10108 of 29490

Hey. Ive been a long time reader of the forums, just took initiative to join since I needed help. ljokerl has been my go to guy so far. Ive purchased many headphones, many Ive been happy with but now I want to upgrade. Most recently I went through

 

JVC flats

Panasonic Slimz

Koss ksc 75

Panasonic HTX7

AKG k430 (current pair)


I didnt find much of a difference between AKG 430 and Panasonics, just a bit more clarity. Im not too knowledgable on sound just yet but I do want to be able to distinguish things more. My budget is for anything below $90.

 

I am looking for something portable but still delivering great sound. Looks would be good but not top priority. I was looking at Koss Pro Dj 100. I mainly want a good deal for my money. At best buy I heard the Senn 428 and Philips O'Neill which had a nicer soundstage than my AKG's. I mainly want a good headphone to keep me satisfied/

post #10109 of 29490

Hello all. I'm a rather new convert to the head-fi (and audiophile) scene and am looking to pull the trigger on some high-end headphones. Right now, I am leaning strongly in the direction of the D7000's. I can find them for around 600ish at "like new" quality, so any headphones that retail around $1000 is up for consideration. Basically, i'm asking to hear about the Denon's main competition.

 

I hear the HD800's mentioned often, though i'm not liking what I hear about their lack of bass. I can't describe myself as a bass-head, but as I listen to a great deal of bass-heavy electronic music, it must be present in strong quantities. Also, I must note that these headphones MUST be closed. I cannot have a lot of noise leakage as I will be looking to use these within a few feet of people, so open and semi-open cans are out.

 

If anyone can rattle off a list of competitors or betters of the D7000's I would be most appreciated. Once I settle on the headphones I will start looking for what amp I will need to power them. Unfortunately, headphones requiring amps that aren't readily portable will place quite low on my list of options due to me wishing to use these headphones when I am on the go.

 

Thanks in advance for all the help.

 

Edited to add that i'm seeing the Beyer T1's near that price range as well, so specific thoughts on those would be great.

 


Edited by Evarin - 12/13/11 at 11:01pm
post #10110 of 29490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caje View Post

Hello, 

 

I'm looking for a set of cans preferably around $100, but anything under $150 is fine too if they are much better quality. I'll primarily be using them to listen to hip-hop, funk and soul music, as well as some gaming and movie/TV watching. I have roommates, so they would have to be closed, and I would prefer over-ear ones. I'm new to the whole headphone scene, and have just been using an old $20 cheapo pair, so anything would be a step up. 

 

Thanks,

Caje.


Audio Techinica M50

Shure 750/840

 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeats View Post

Im looking for somw good bass headphones for my iPod for under £150. The two I have in mind are either the audio technica es7s, denon d1100 as both have good reviews. What is your opinion out of these two and any other reccommendations? thanks.


Between those two, the Denon for sure.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by jaims11 View Post

Whats up guys. This whole buying headphones process is becoming way more complicated than i wanted it to be haha. I'm new to this whole headphones thing. I previously had beats by dre, hated them. Uncomfortable, they completely fell apart after a year, and not worth the price. So then i was looking at the bose ae2's but i guess those arent worth the price either. I really like the design, shape and size of the Sony MDR 7506 but they seem to professional for just listening. i was also looking at the Creative Aurvana live and the Audio technica ath-m35 but they seem a bit mediocre. Anyone care to shed light on this? I am not looking for big bulky headphones like Sennheiser's, i want more of the sony mdr 7506 look. 

 

Thanks

 



Nothing wrong with the 7506. They are a perfectly capable headphone, very durable, and quite portable as well (except for the long cord).


 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogyto19 View Post

Hey. Ive been a long time reader of the forums, just took initiative to join since I needed help. ljokerl has been my go to guy so far. Ive purchased many headphones, many Ive been happy with but now I want to upgrade. Most recently I went through

 

JVC flats

Panasonic Slimz

Koss ksc 75

Panasonic HTX7

AKG k430 (current pair)


I didnt find much of a difference between AKG 430 and Panasonics, just a bit more clarity. Im not too knowledgable on sound just yet but I do want to be able to distinguish things more. My budget is for anything below $90.

 

I am looking for something portable but still delivering great sound. Looks would be good but not top priority. I was looking at Koss Pro Dj 100. I mainly want a good deal for my money. At best buy I heard the Senn 428 and Philips O'Neill which had a nicer soundstage than my AKG's. I mainly want a good headphone to keep me satisfied/


Senn PX200-ii is a nice all-rounder.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Evarin View Post

Hello all. I'm a rather new convert to the head-fi (and audiophile) scene and am looking to pull the trigger on some high-end headphones. Right now, I am leaning strongly in the direction of the D7000's. I can find them for around 600ish at "like new" quality, so any headphones that retail around $1000 is up for consideration. Basically, i'm asking to hear about the Denon's main competition.

 

I hear the HD800's mentioned often, though i'm not liking what I hear about their lack of bass. I can't describe myself as a bass-head, but as I listen to a great deal of bass-heavy electronic music, it must be present in strong quantities. Also, I must note that these headphones MUST be closed. I cannot have a lot of noise leakage as I will be looking to use these within a few feet of people, so open and semi-open cans are out.

 

If anyone can rattle off a list of competitors or betters of the D7000's I would be most appreciated. Once I settle on the headphones I will start looking for what amp I will need to power them. Unfortunately, headphones requiring amps that aren't readily portable will place quite low on my list of options due to me wishing to use these headphones when I am on the go.

 

Thanks in advance for all the help.

 

Edited to add that i'm seeing the Beyer T1's near that price range as well, so specific thoughts on those would be great.

 

 

Most of the flagships in that price range are all open. The D7000 are kinda lousy at isolation as well.

 

Maybe the new Beyer T70p? I haven't heard it, but it's specs and functionality match what you're looking for: portable, closed, easier to drive
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum