Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG Acoustics K240 Monitoring Headphonestagged by System, 8/17/11
- productAKG K 272 HD High-Definition Headphonestagged by System, 1/20/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 12/19/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/7/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/17/11
- brandPeachtree Audiotagged by System, 8/17/11
Related Forum Threads
- AKG K240M Last post on 8/26/11 at 8:11am in Headphones (full-size)
- Studio headphone impedance Last post on 11/4/13 at 2:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Interesting Headphones for a Flat-Earth PRAT Last post on 11/4/13 at 5:27am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best over-ear headphones for $100 or less? Heres what Im looking for. Last post on 7/28/13 at 3:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphone under 100$ Last post on 12/11/13 at 3:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
i bought it this buletooth headphone 1 week ago. when i received it, i found it's very weightless, i think it's about half an ounce weight. about the performace, it can play 7 hours or more, the...
Introduction – Westone separate their universal range of iems into two categories, the consumer W series and the more professionally orientated UM Pro series that were designed for use during live...
First of all, I would like to thank Dimitri Trush, CEO of the MusicaAcoustics for providing me review sample of Oriolus in exchange of my honest opinion. Oriolus’ official website:...
These are easily the best headphones I have. They are a strange set in that they have a nice flat neutral sound signature that gives great detailed mids and highs, but have great sub and mid bass,...
First of all I would like to thank the team at www.hifiheadphones.co.uk for the review sample I had the opportunity to test out and to write a bit about it. This is a good sounding music player...
Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please... - Page 1201post #18001 of 211905/11/14 at 5:43am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #18002 of 211905/11/14 at 5:57ampost #18003 of 211905/11/14 at 6:06ampost #18004 of 211905/11/14 at 7:20ampost #18005 of 211905/11/14 at 7:29amQuote:
Save your money and spend it wisely.post #18006 of 211905/11/14 at 7:29amQuote:
That's a fairly good start; I had an HD518 when I was first getting into the hobby. Lots of reading will help you understand what you like in a pair of headphones and what you need to build a particular setup, but nothing replaces your own ears as a judge. Most people find that they appreciate differences in audio quality more if they move up the ladder slowly over time instead of just plunging right in for a TOTL rig, and most of us slowly upgrade over time. There's no one answer to the question of how to "get started" in the hobby; just keep reading and navigate your way through as you save money for the gear you want. And remember, more expensive isn't necessarily better.post #18007 of 211905/11/14 at 7:34amQuote:
Best advice I can give is it's all about the music. I've always been a headphones guy--all the way back to the late 1980s and early 1990s with my tape Walkman and it's cheap included headphones. I didn't know what good gear was and all I knew was what the music was. Then, I moved to iPods, complete with their cheap ear buds. Again, it was all about the music.
However, 5 years ago, I bought my first tube amp and studio headphones. At that point, the music certainly was better, but it was a huge Pandora's box for me. It started to become more about the gear than the music.
While the gear certainly is an important part of the hobby, never lose sight of the music. I have to remind myself of this from time to time.post #18008 of 211905/11/14 at 7:50am
Thanks for the great advice guys Personally, I've always loved music and have been playing the piano since 3, thus my preferences towards classical music, my mum also introduced me to old school rock and pop, which got me really interested. At first, I started off with Apple earbuds, and cam across this forum while looking for reviews about beats, in the end, I got my first pair of over ear headphones, the HD419's which eventually broke, resulting me in getting my current pair of HD518's which rock.
Edited by XiuberHD419 - 5/11/14 at 7:54ampost #18009 of 211905/11/14 at 7:55am
I started out last year when I noticed I had some extra cash lying around and I was curious how good a 200€ headphone would sound. I bought Sennheiser Momentum On-Ears and Nuforce Icon uDAC-2. I wasn't really happy with the Momentums and bought HD 598's. That was a real eye-opener. Few months later I sold the Momentum On-Ears to my sister and bought the big Momentums. It was a big leap in sound quality and I was very happy with them. Then I bought into hype machine and got Schiit Modi/Vali stack. They sounded very nice compared to the uDAC, but I started feeling that they are "too good" for the 598's, so a couple of months later I got the HD 650's. Man do they sound good! Recently I upgraded Modi to HRT MS II+, and the Vali started to really sing.
All this within a year. I have no regrets.
I don't really consider myself an audiophile though, I just enjoy the music.post #18010 of 211905/11/14 at 8:26amQuote:
Go to a headphone meet and hear stuff for yourself. Only way.post #18011 of 211905/11/14 at 10:57amQuote:
Don't do it. You'll end up like me, with a page-long post about your setup. It's a slippery slope. Jkjk. I started in an odd place, though. I was super broke, so I started by ruining the Grado threads, haha. I don't know that I'd recommend that for everyone. I'd echo the sentiments of others and say never lose sight of the music.
I started and ended with music, and an odd misstep into the HD800 was what reminded me that the music matters most. I'm a musician and a musicophile at heart, so whatever sounds best to me, with my music, is what I'll pursue. I gave up the last bit of resolution that headphone audio had to offer for a bit more fun.
Now, there are many who love the HD800 and other headphones I don't love. I will handily agree with them, though, if it's all for the love of music. Don't get caught up in THD, dynamic range, 30/300 Hz square waves, unless it informs you as to how you'll get closer to the music.
Look at everything through the filter of musical love and you'll find the hobby opening up to you very quickly.
Kojakupost #18012 of 211905/11/14 at 3:07pmHad a vision of doing a nice little headphone station setup awhile now, this weekend I finally finished it after I picked up the Perfectwave DAC.
I now have a little corner of the house I can call my own, the mrs. loved it too which was a plus, she actually sat there listening to music for the first time ever, and she was pretty impressed.post #18013 of 211905/11/14 at 4:13pmQuote:Originally Posted by Dionysus
Had a vision of doing a nice little headphone station setup awhile now, this weekend I finally finished it after I picked up the Perfectwave DAC.
I now have a little corner of the house I can call my own, the mrs. loved it too which was a plus, she actually sat there listening to music for the first time ever, and she was pretty impressed.
Your little corner is awesome.post #18014 of 211905/11/14 at 4:47pmVery good point Kojaku.
I love my HD800. It's a great headphone. Revealing, spacious, cristal, energic sound. But it hates "bad recordings" (not always bad music) and can make you "dislike" some musics.
In the other way i love my LCD2. It makes the music sounds better than never. So called "euphonic" sound.post #18015 of 211905/11/14 at 8:08pmQuote:
Had far too much time on my hands last year. Wait, WHAT, I joined in 2012, well.. Um. I've been at this for a lot longer than I thought..
Anyways, just buy a budget headphone, which you already have, so leave. Or else, you won't have any money, ever!
- Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Audeze LCD-4 11 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 33 seconds ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 51 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › 👍DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, AK380, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1,... 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW ... 3 minutes ago
- › Hunter Bluetooth Headphones Wireless Sports 4.1 Bluetooth Headset... by Shobin Wang
- › Westone Um Pro 50 Clear Earbuds by ryanjsoo
- › Oriolus In-Ear Monitors (v2) by Aerosphere
- › SoundMAGIC HP100 Premium Over-the-Ear Folding Headphone by harry501501
- › Audio-Opus Opus#1 by musicday
- › Wired 3.5MM Headphones Earphones, Ghostek® Turbine Series Wired... by Cinder
- › Cleer DU High-Definition Dual Driver Headphone by moedawg140
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by thingol
- › Effect Audio Thor Coper IEM Upgrade Cable by Vitor Valeri
- › ZhiYin QT5 by Brooko
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...