Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please... - Page 1172

post #17566 of 19048
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

 

I think that they call that an oxymoron. :D

 

Nice setup rawdawg...

:beerchug:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

What do you mea by the "coldest" tubes you own?

They seem to add very little of they're own sound.  You could describe them as sterile, noiseless or whatever else floats your boat. There's very little rolloff on the mids and highs. In short i'd rate them only barely above the stock 6EW7's.


Edited by Rawdawg3234 - 3/23/14 at 8:57am
post #17567 of 19048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawdawg3234 View Post
 

AppleMark

Brave Old SR-3 :biggrin: 

 

Ali

post #17568 of 19048
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

^^ Not colored or warm. More of an analytic or neutral sound. ??

Funny, I tried them twice with the WA6/RS1i and both times I found them to have too much overall bass for me with the S/P-274B. So the first time I bought/returned them to Woo. The second time I bought the adapters from Woo and the the RCA 6EM7/6EA7 Test NOS Dual Triode Black Plates Coin Base Wright Apollo Tubes from eBay and tried them with the Mullard 5V4G/GZ32 and thought they would match nicely being the GZ32 was a thinner sounding than the S/P-274B, but found the same thing…so I returned the adapters to Woo and got a pair of 6FD7 (big bottle's). I paid close to $45.00 (with shipping) for the 6EM7's from a Canadian dealer… right now I have them on eBay for the 3rd time trying to sell them for $20.00, being I can't use them at all without the adapters. I just re-listed them, if nobody buys them again, if you want them I will give them to you at your shipping cost. I hate having things laying around that will never be used when someone else can use them. They have about 2-3hrs on them. If you really want them, being you are a fellow Head-Fier, I will end the BIN and give them too you!


Edited by joseph69 - 3/23/14 at 9:09am
post #17569 of 19048
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

Funny, I tried them twice with the WA6/RS1i and both times I found them to have too much overall bass for me with the S/P-274B. So the first time I bought/returned them to Woo. The second time I bought the adapters from Woo and the the RCA 6EM7/6EA7 Test NOS Dual Triode Black Plates Coin Base Wright Apollo Tubes from eBay and tried them with the Mullard 5V4G/GZ32 and thought they would match nicely being the GZ32 was a thinner sounding than the S/P-274B, but found the same thing…so I returned the adapters to Woo and got a pair of 6FD7 (big bottle's). I paid close to $45.00 (with shipping) for the 6EM7's from a Canadian dealer… right now I have them on eBay for the 3rd time trying to sell them for $20.00, being I can't use them at all without the adapters. I just re-listed them, if nobody buys them again, if you want them I will give them to you at your shipping cost. I hate having things laying around that will never be used when someone else can use them. They have about 2-3hrs on them. If you really want them, being you are a fellow Head-Fier, I will end the BIN and give them too you!

Not sure we're still talking about the same tubes here. 

 

That's very generous of you by the way.

post #17570 of 19048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawdawg3234 View Post
 

Not sure we're still talking about the same tubes here. 

 

That's very generous of you by the way.

Yes, it use's Woo's 6GL7>6DE7 adapter. The 6GL7/6EM7/6EA7 tubes are the same. As a matter of fact the first time I purchased the tubes/adapters from Woo, they sent me RCA 6EM7's, which are the equivalent to the 6GL7. I've already used the tubes I'm offering you in my WA6.

post #17571 of 19048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo Drummond View Post
 

HeadAmp GS-X and Abrahamsen V6.0 powering some HP1000s, HD800s, W3000ANVs and HE500s. Portables are JH Audio Roxannes and Sennheiser HD 25s. I'm finally done!

 

Nice collection, and I like pics on your site. Hope there will be an English version of it someday. 

post #17572 of 19048
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent215 View Post
 

 

Nice collection, and I like pics on your site. Hope there will be an English version of it someday. 

 

Thank you, Vincent!

 

There will be one indeed, and I've already started translating some reviews. I've already published the following: Sennheiser HE90 Orpheus, Grado HP1000, Audio-Technica W3000ANV and B.M.C. PureDAC!

post #17573 of 19048
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

Yes, it use's Woo's 6GL7>6DE7 adapter. The 6GL7/6EM7/6EA7 tubes are the same. As a matter of fact the first time I purchased the tubes/adapters from Woo, they sent me RCA 6EM7's, which are the equivalent to the 6GL7. I've already used the tubes I'm offering you in my WA6.

Oh you were offering me those tubes? I'd love to have em. 

I am gonna have to respectfully disagree with you about the tubes being the same. Interchangeable yes but definitely not the same sound or quality. My sylvania 6EM7's are my favorite set and the RCA's do not even compare to them. They sound cheap to me in comparison and the sylvanias are so "warm" that they sing, especially paired with my EML rectifier. 


Edited by Rawdawg3234 - 3/23/14 at 9:55am
post #17574 of 19048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawdawg3234 View Post
 

Oh you were offering me those tubes? I'd love to have em. 

I am gonna have to respectfully disagree with you about the tubes being the same. Interchangeable yes but definitely not the same sound or quality. My sylvania 6EM7's are my favorite set and the RCA's do not even compare to them. They sound cheap to me in comparison and the sylvanias are so "warm" that they sing, especially paired with my EML rectifier. 

No I didn't mean the same sound signature, I meant interchangeable.

And yes I'm offering you these tubes; RCA 6EM7/6EA7 Test NOS Dual Triode Black Plates Coin Base Wright Apollo Tubes, like I said they have 2-3hrs on them, and you'll have them as backups or whatever. Do you want them? If yes I will take them off eBay and ship them to you at your cost. PM me. 

post #17575 of 19048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawdawg3234 View Post
 

 

That's the first time I've seen an ED10 in awhile. Thoughts compared to the others in your collection?

post #17576 of 19048
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post
 

That's the first time I've seen an ED10 in awhile. Thoughts compared to the others in your collection?

ha ha. I'll try to keep this brief. 

  The Ed 10's are in my opinion the best looking cans I have seen firsthand. They are absolutely beautiful. They are also the most comfortable flagship I have experienced. You could wear these all day without any discomfort.  Unless you wear glasses of course then you're good for only 2-3 hours. 

 

As far as sound goes you can read a ton of variations on how they are perceived, mostly bad. Personally upon first putting them on they had/have a metallic sound which is extremely off-putting at first. The second thing I noticed was the recessed mids. Like they almost didn't matter.  Now from everything I have experienced and read this is due to the s-logic, or bad production, which seriously takes some getting used to. Not sure how they accomplish their s-logic "live" sound but from all the ultrasone cans i've seen they seem to cover a third of the driver with some type of metal plate. If this is their s-logic, radiation shielding or both I couldn't say. Anyway once you get used to the s-logic, yes i'm sorry but it DOES take some getting used to, you begin to notice an excellent soundstage. Not a wide soundstage like the HD800 but more spherical and compact.  The best part for me is the perception that the sound, mostly guitar, is coming from in front of my face and I get the feeling that I could almost point to it.

 

That being said the Ed 10's are extremely bright, the rewire helped a lot but it definitely makes it difficult to turn them up for long periods so as long as you're at a moderate volume you won't experience any of the ear piercing discomfort.  Also for longer sessions I like to EQ them , bringing down the highs a bit and increasing the mids  just a little so as not to disrupt the s-logic. I know that some consider it sacrilege to EQ flagships but if you can tweak something to suite you better than I say why not. With the small tweaks i'm able to truly enjoy them at higher volumes.


Edited by Rawdawg3234 - 3/23/14 at 2:56pm
post #17577 of 19048

I've never posted my setup before, so I'm a little embarrassed lol

Not the best pic sorry. Just got the speakers and receiver 2nd hand, haven't had a chance to tidy up the cables. They sound pretty good even though they are old! Also a sony turntable and some hd598s. Not pictured is my surface pro tablet with dragonfly 1.2 dac. Next upgrade to this system is a new cartridge! I'm hoping to get a grado one.


Edited by indieman - 3/23/14 at 7:15pm
post #17578 of 19048
Quote:
Originally Posted by indieman View Post

I've never posted my setup before, so I'm a little embarrassed lol


Not the best pic sorry. Just got the speakers and receiver 2nd hand, haven't had a chance to tidy up the cables. They sound pretty good even though they are old! Also a sony turntable and some hd598s. Not pictured is my surface pro tablet with dragonfly 1.2 dac. Next upgrade to this system is a new cartridge! I'm hoping to get a grado one.
Lookin good so far!! Please keep me up to date on that potential Grado cartridge, ive been meaning to get a Grado black at some point. biggrin.gif
post #17579 of 19048

Thanks! Will do :L3000:

post #17580 of 19048

The computer station I just set up for my son-

 

ALAC files->spdif optical out of mother board-> Spitfire DAC-> Nordost Black Knight IC-> Keces HA-171-> Grado SR 225i

 

Sounds great using components I replaced over time and a big step up from his iPod rig.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...