Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please... - Page 989

post #14821 of 19051

 

 

 

Newest thing added:)

post #14822 of 19051

Obviously custom cups, so what drivers is it using?

post #14823 of 19051
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

 

 

 

Newest thing added:)

Looking good.

post #14824 of 19051

SR60i's.

post #14825 of 19051
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post










Newest thing added:)
Get L Cush or at least quarter mod them.
post #14826 of 19051
I'll do that when I get home:P
post #14827 of 19051

maybe a bit offtopic...but...

 

is it my feeling or is the vintage speaker amp really getting more and more buyers/interest lately for driving headphones? does it something to do with the crisis that people prefer to pay for a good vintage secondhand amp under 1000usd then to spend 1500usd and up for a new quality (headphone) amp? this thought just struck me..  L3000.gif
 


Edited by hifimanrookie - 8/22/13 at 11:52am
post #14828 of 19051
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post

maybe a bit offtopic...but...

 

is it my feeling or is the vintage speaker amp really getting more and more buyers/interest lately for driving headphones? is it something to do with the crisis that people prefer to pay for a good vintage secondhand amp under 1000usd then to spend 1500usd and up for a new quality (headphone) amp? this thought just struck me..  L3000.gif
 

You can spend as little as $50 mate... 

 

But to be fair, you would have to spend probably $1500 to have a restored serious competitor. What you get with vintage isn't for everyone. You get loadsa power which is in demand these days for Orthos phones. You also get a hell of a lot for your money. And I'm not just talking about mass. Older amps can be a worthwhile purchase, but its quite a gamble. For instance, if someone recommends a great vintage amp to get. You may buy one and find that it sounds schitt because the caps are nearly dead etc.. Theres a lot of luck and knowledge involved to find the good stuff.  

post #14829 of 19051
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

You can spend as little as $50 mate... 

 

But to be fair, you would have to spend probably $1500 to have a restored serious competitor. What you get with vintage isn't for everyone. You get loadsa power which is in demand these days for Orthos phones. You also get a hell of a lot for your money. And I'm not just talking about mass. Older amps can be a worthwhile purchase, but its quite a gamble. For instance, if someone recommends a great vintage amp to get. You may buy one and find that it sounds schitt because the caps are nearly dead etc.. Theres a lot of luck and knowledge involved to find the good stuff.  

They say caps are only good for 20 years.

post #14830 of 19051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post

They say caps are only good for 20 years.

Yup, depends on how much use they've had. I have a couple of vintage amps that are untouched (as in serviced) from 35 year ago and they sound crisp clean and, well as good as new. The longevity of vintage amps depends on how they have been used or not as the case may be! I would use a car analogy here... 

post #14831 of 19051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbishop View Post

Aint you a modest one with the HE-400 :D


It's extremely modest vs some of the equipment people have on here!

post #14832 of 19051


WAV > Foobar 2000 WASAPI event mode > USB > Moon Audio Blue Dragon USB cable > CEntrance DACmini CX Line Out > Emotiva RCA interconnects > TBI Millenia MG3 > KnuKonceptz Kord 10-AWG 462-strand OFC > Definitive Technology SM45 monitors (with the MG3 powered by a four-cell 1000 mAh LiPo pack that produces 16.8V at full charge, requiring recharge at 12.0V)

The MG3 puts out 32 Watts into an 8-Ohm load with 24 DC supply voltage.

The amp's designer, Jan Plummer, is shipping me a separately purchased impedance matching box for use with my 50-Ohm LCD-2.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue67/tbi_millenia.htm

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/definitive-technology-studiomonitorsm-45-loudspeakers-hi-fi/

Mike
Edited by zilch0md - 8/25/13 at 9:28am
post #14833 of 19051
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post



WAV > Foobar 2000 WASAPI event mode > USB > Moon Audio Blue Dragon USB cable > CEntrance DACmini CX Line Out > Emotiva RCA interconnects > TBI Millenia MG3 > KnuKonceptz Kord 10-AWG 462-strand OFC > Definitive Technology SM45 monitors (with the MG3 powered by a four-cell 1000 mAh LiPo pack that produces 16.8V at full charge, requiring recharge at 12.0V)

That's quite a thorough list of equipment you have there!

post #14834 of 19051
I forgot to list my cheap laptop! :-)
post #14835 of 19051

 

Hifiman HE500
Senn HD650
ALO Audio Continental V3
Cypher Labs Algo Solo
Custom Silver IC
 
 
Not exactly a station though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...