Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG Acoustics K240 Monitoring Headphonestagged by System, 8/17/11
- productAKG K 272 HD High-Definition Headphonestagged by System, 1/20/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 12/19/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/7/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/17/11
- brandPeachtree Audiotagged by System, 8/17/11
Related Forum Threads
- AKG K240M Last post on 8/26/11 at 8:11am in Headphones (full-size)
- Studio headphone impedance Last post on 11/4/13 at 2:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Interesting Headphones for a Flat-Earth PRAT Last post on 11/4/13 at 5:27am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best over-ear headphones for $100 or less? Heres what Im looking for. Last post on 7/28/13 at 3:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphone under 100$ Last post on 12/11/13 at 3:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Package & Build: FiiO X3 comes in a nice box with adapter and micro USB cable, as well as a nice soft silicone sleeve to protect the player. It is built very nicely, has some retro touch to it...
In short words: The Fidue is on par with the Sony EX1000 (little less sound stage and depth, but better, more flat sound signature) Downside: Cable plugs to the earphone speakers was...
I am an audiophile and these cans really deliver! Spacious and open with a neutral but pacy kick. These phones are the business but deserve a headphone amp to really bounce! Nevertheless, you will...
HiFiMAN RE-300h Review with RE-400 comparisons and comments Disclaimer: The following review is my subjective assessment of the headphone. I am in no way affiliated with HiFiMAN nor am I...
Sorry for no actual review as i have just got into audio recently and this is my first pair or good headphones. But even i could tell there was alot of sub bass not loud but its definitely...
Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please... - Page 970post #14536 of 194498/7/13 at 6:50pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #14537 of 194498/7/13 at 7:04pmpost #14538 of 194498/7/13 at 7:13pm
Vintage amps use same amp circuit that would powers the speakers. There is a resistor wired in line to reduce power output, because obviously headphones don't need 50+ watts per side. Some people say high output impedance is bad, but I let my ears be the judge, and what I am hearing is pretty stellar. Especially considering the ridiculously low price I paid for this thing.Quote:
Edited by jasonb - 8/7/13 at 7:15pmpost #14539 of 194498/7/13 at 7:15pmQuote:
really nice setup - i love vintage gear!post #14540 of 194498/7/13 at 7:20pmpost #14541 of 194498/7/13 at 7:47pmQuote:Originally Posted by jasonb
Vintage amps use same amp circuit that would powers the speakers. There is a resistor wired in line to reduce power output, because obviously headphones don't need 50+ watts per side. Some people say high output impedance is bad, but I let my ears be the judge, and what I am hearing is pretty stellar. Especially considering the ridiculously low price I paid for this thing.
What resistor is typical? 150 ohm?
Has anyone lowered the resistor to get even MORE output? Not that it needs it..............none of my 5 vintage really do but ya know, makes me wonder.post #14542 of 194498/7/13 at 7:50pm
No idea what impedance the resistor is. Lowering the resistor would gain more output power, but I already can't listen to either of my two headphones at higher than the 9 o'clock spot on the volume knob, and that is with the E17 feeding it as a DAC only.
All I know is that this very budget setup sounds ridiculous.
-$40 for the Pioneer SX-750
-$140 for the Fiio E17
-$240 for the Q701
-and I've got about $180 or so into the T50rp, including the headphones themselves plus the pads, cable, and modding materialsQuote:
Edited by jasonb - 8/7/13 at 7:56pmpost #14543 of 194498/7/13 at 9:34pmpost #14544 of 194498/7/13 at 11:41pm
Very nice! I almost finished my Crack build today, gotta go in tomorrow and figure out why it blew a fuse on powerup Funny, because I definitely took my time and worked carefully (8-hours) so that I hopefully wouldn't have to do any troubleshooting... Measurements all checked out too.post #14545 of 194498/7/13 at 11:46pmpost #14546 of 194498/8/13 at 12:08am
That's the thing that's puzzling me. All of the resistance measurements checked out fine, wouldn't that be affected in the event of a short or bad connection?
I did some Google-fu and discovered that many builders use slow-blow fuses. Mine shipped with a fast-blow 1A, 250v fuse. Might try a slow-blow and see if that was the problem. Radioshack closed a few hours ago, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow.post #14547 of 194498/8/13 at 12:08ampost #14548 of 194498/8/13 at 12:20amQuote:Originally Posted by calipilot227
All of the resistance measurements checked out fine, wouldn't that be affected in the event of a short or bad connection?
I did some Google-fu and discovered that many builders use slow-blow fuses. Mine shipped with a fast-blow 1A, 250v fuse. Might try a slow-blow and see if that was the problem. Radioshack closed a few hours ago, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow.
No. If the resistors itself is damaged then it will show bad or out of spec drifted measurement ratings, double check through your work according to the manual supplied, sometimes your eyes become strained if you work on something to long and you zone out so you might've made a small mistake somewhere. Mine shipped with a fast blow 1A and has never blown. But hey could be a fuse problem and I'm smoking unicorns.post #14549 of 194498/8/13 at 12:33am
- Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Unique headset shopping help 2 minutes ago
- › WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!! 2 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Westone Signature W-series W50 & W60 2 minutes ago
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 3 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR 3 minutes ago
- › Bower & Wilkins P7 with solid OFC litz braided cable! 4 minutes ago
- › Why is my PC's volume so low? 4 minutes ago
- › Grado e Series 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by Tail
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Airwin
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by Rogerlabarrie
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by conquerator2
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by Donnyboy98
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by cuiter23
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by moodyrn
- › AKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver) by GL1TCH3D
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by Thoft208
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by musikaladin
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3