Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please... - Page 825

post #12361 of 18625

You can Google search your face off about that subject.  One point that kind of stuck out for me was that a thicker record will be less prone to warping over time, and you'll get a less distorted sound as the years go by.  But that's assuming a thin record will warp more easily over time.

 

In the audiophile world heavier is always better.  Heavier amps, heavier racks, heavier speakers, heavier platters, heavier... records.

post #12362 of 18625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eee Pee View Post

You can Google search your face off about that subject.  One point that kind of stuck out for me was that a thicker record will be less prone to warping over time, and you'll get a less distorted sound as the years go by.  But that's assuming a thin record will warp more easily over time.

 

In the audiophile world heavier is always better.  Heavier amps, heavier racks, heavier speakers, heavier platters, heavier... records.

Heavier headphones..? 

post #12363 of 18625
LCD-2/3 HE-6
post #12364 of 18625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

LCD-2/3 HE-6

It was a blanket statement though, all opinion.

post #12365 of 18625
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

I think the buzzword you SHOULD look for though is 'Virgin vinyl'. That will make a difference.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHorseNamedJeff View Post

Ah, thanks MT. Yeah, all the heavy discs i have (Kind of Blue, Etc..) are labeled with "180g audiophile vinyl", so I was wondering why.

Seems like Mobile Fidelity got things going 25+ years ago on the 180 gram vinyl. Had a few Japanese pressings of that weight as well. No idea why they picked that specific weight, but given the "Audiophile" perception of them, it stuck.

post #12366 of 18625
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

It doesn't. The weight of the vinyl itself has nothing to do with it.

 

In the earlier days of thicker records the 180g stuff was often warped and generally crap. This is no longer true and for the most part the shoe is on the other foot. 180g records can generally trusted to be less warped than lighter stuff. Warps can effect SQ, but that's more the pressing process than the actual weight.

 

There's a discussion going on Steve Hoffman forums right now about the myth of 180g 'Audiophile vinyl'. They're saying that they'd gladly shave $10 or so off LPs and take a standard weight disc. I agree. I'd rather have more music than thicker music.

 

EDIT: If you find a thicker disc sounds better it's probably because the master is better.

 

 

I like handling heavier vinyl. Not only is it a tad easier to slide in and out of sleeves, but I like the feel of it in my hands. I'd gladly pay the extra $10 to get the 180g LP than the lighter weight one (all else the same, aside from weight) for my favourite albums.

 

I also own multiple copies of my fav albums (for example; Tom Waits "Nighthawks at the Dinner" I have an original pressing, and a reissue that I play; and the picture disc LP below that usually hangs framed on my wall, and a second copy to play). To me, one of the differences between owning digital and vinyl is that digital is mainly about the music listening, whereas vinyl is also about a collection.

 

post #12367 of 18625
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

Heavier headphones..? 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

LCD-2/3 HE-6
Thats nothing compared to JPS Labs Abyss (AB-1266)... 660 grams without cable... price will be (if I understand rumors correctly) more than 5000$...
post #12368 of 18625

I agree it's more about a collection and I like 180g stuff, but when damn near every new album is 180g or 200g I know I'm paying for the 'audiophile stigma' on some of them (I have 180g LPs that still sound like butts due to a poor master).

 

It makes it harder to discover new music when the costs of new vinyl are inflated by thicker vinyl.

 

This obviously doesn't actually force the price change, but people think they should just press at 180g and charge 30-40 bucks for it.

post #12369 of 18625

Current setup in my tiny little office space (13x8)

UE6000s and modded HD428s.
M-Audio BX8s for Speaker-Fi listening. (just got this weekend, looking for stands.. so the set-up will change visually)
Foobar2000 

 

post #12370 of 18625
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonOwen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

Heavier headphones..? 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

LCD-2/3 HE-6
Thats nothing compared to JPS Labs Abyss (AB-1266)... 660 grams without cable... price will be (if I understand rumors correctly) more than 5000$...

Pretty lighttongue.gif Only about 1.5 pounds on your head..

post #12371 of 18625
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

I agree it's more about a collection and I like 180g stuff, but when damn near every new album is 180g or 200g I know I'm paying for the 'audiophile stigma' on some of them (I have 180g LPs that still sound like butts due to a poor master).

 

It makes it harder to discover new music when the costs of new vinyl are inflated by thicker vinyl.

 

This obviously doesn't actually force the price change, but people think they should just press at 180g and charge 30-40 bucks for it.

 

very true. with the resurgence of vinyl, prices for new albums are sometimes too high for me to wander into a shop and take a chance on a few albums by hoping that I'll like them when I get home. what I usually do is download a digital copy online, and if I like what I hear, I go out and buy the vinyl copy (this does take the spontaneity out of it though). even better is what i started doing a few months ago: if an album is intriguing in the shop, I'll preview it on my phone (on a website like allmusic.com) to decide if its worthy of a purchase.

 

I also order vinyl online if I can find a much better price, or for hard-to-find discs, and I've had 3 light-weight LP's arrive warped. this was never the case for 180g ones.

post #12372 of 18625

Like I said. Now 180g gives less chance of warp where as when it was pioneered it was the opposite.

 

There's hardly any good places to press records anymore and most of them (the good ones) are going to do 180 or 200g audiophile stuff.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee inthe Attic View Post

 

very true. with the resurgence of vinyl, prices for new albums are sometimes too high for me to wander into a shop and take a chance on a few albums by hoping that I'll like them when I get home. what I usually do is download a digital copy online, and if I like what I hear, I go out and buy the vinyl copy (this does take the spontaneity out of it though). even better is what i started doing a few months ago: if an album is intriguing in the shop, I'll preview it on my phone (on a website like allmusic.com) to decide if its worthy of a purchase.

 

I also order vinyl online if I can find a much better price, or for hard-to-find discs, and I've had 3 light-weight LP's arrive warped. this was never the case for 180g ones.

post #12373 of 18625
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeVeeN View Post

 

:). I'm not sure why it's so blurry / grainy. Think I left it on the macro setting but oh well, too lazy to re-do.

MX518-QCK combination is so pro, you must have nice skills 

post #12374 of 18625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

I drive with my UERM, it's actually my main use for them, but only on long highway trips, not around town. It's nice to be isolated from the road noise almost entirely and really on a divded 2 lane highway, there's nothing you can't do with just your eyes.

Also my car doesn't have bluetooth or auxiliary input so I'd have to burn CDs of anything I wanted to listen to instead of having access to a large portion of my library via my phone. One thing I'm really looking forward to if I get a new car soon.

 

Even with my on-ear cans (they do cover my whole ear but do not go over them) I can't hear sirens. Many times I've asked my dad why we were randomly pulling over to see an ambulance go by "silently"...

Because of this I doubt I'd ever wear headphones while driving.

post #12375 of 18625
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

I've been criticized for too much toe in but I had Maggies before.

 

These new Harbeths I literally toe in maybe half a centimeter and that's all I need. I like it that way.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post


Speaker placement is an ongoing thing with any rig I guess. If you stop tweeking then I figure you not trying to get the most out of it. I'm sure there are rules and guides depending on room size and speaker size. I ended up after a solid two years with no toe-in and the speakers 4 feet farther apart???? Go figure? I also added a sub, so maybe that was why?

 

I have Polk Audio Monitor 10s and a JVC receiver. I used to think you were supposed to toe in where the tweeters were pointing right at your eyes, so I toed in a LOT. I tried the straight out and I don't remember if soundstage sounded wonky or unrealistically wide (I think the latter, like imaging made no sense, didn't sound coherent, something like that). I tried toeing in just a little bit and now it sounds great! I'd rather not play with it anymore if nothing in my rig changes (such as room treatments or a different room) as it takes up too much time, and I stop enjoying the music as a result. That's what it's all about, right?? smily_headphones1.gif 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...