I am looking at some good headphones and I don't want to break my very small bank. I had done some reading and what I have found said that AKG K242HD, AKG K272, AKG k 702 were great picks and I have found them for under 300 and I am at the point where I want some nice cans and ditch these $50 Aerial 7s I have. I do not have an amp yet but I think I am getting a headroom Total AirHead for Christmas and the Grado SR60i from my parents. I listen to a lot of Indi rock, alternative and post grunge. For example bands like The Killers, Weezer, Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Panic At the Disco. I primarly use my Zune HD for music listening and when I sit down to listen music I use my Dad's ancient amp and the Monster Gold Turbines Pro. I really like the sound of the Monster Gold Turbines Pro but i want some cans. If anyone would help that would be great.
Related Forum Threads
- Narrowing purchase to 4 AKG Headphones: Audiophile's Plea Last post on 9/2/11 at 6:50am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need advice in audiophile headphone choosing Last post on 3/20/11 at 5:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K242HD vs K272HD Last post on 6/22/10 at 10:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- Mid-Centric Headphones? Last post on 11/19/12 at 6:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed headphones that sound closest to K 702s? Last post on 12/14/12 at 11:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Thanks to Luke (H20Fidelity) for letting me a part of the Australian leg of the COZOY DAC/Amp tour and for Igor (DJScope) for the personal delivery, no doubt due to him enjoying the unit so much...
This review is for the Linum Bax 2-Pin, Bax IEM and headphone cables. Let me introduce myself my name is Adam, I live in the states between Philadelphia and New York City. I have been into audio...
Havi B3 Pro 1 - Pictorial Review Let me start by saying that ......the purchase of B3Pro1 has been long time coming ever since introduced by bhazard in the Chinese thread early last year...
I have posted a more detailed review on my blog with hi resolution pictures. http://blog.hyperexpert.com/audio-technica-at-pha50bt-first-impressions-and-review/ I stumbled upon Audio Technica’s...
My impressions is that these don’t sound significantly different than the cheaper SP version in terms of sound signature. The biggest difference is detail, more extended highs and smoother mid. If...
AKG K242HD VS AKG K272HD VS AKG k 702post #1 of 2312/19/10 at 9:11amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 2312/19/10 at 9:44ampost #3 of 2312/20/10 at 9:39pm
i own grados 325i, 80i and akg 702
i don't have enough experience to give any responsible advice.. but i just want to say darn my akg 702 took a long time to burn in.. it took me almost like 400 hours and it's finally starting to sound good.
i used white noise to burn it in.. i don't think my volume was below listening volume either. it was a little higher just like some suggested. so if you do get akg 702 you might want to burn it in for a while to know for sure whether you like it. but then that's a dilemma with most phones' return period.post #4 of 2312/21/10 at 1:11pmThread Starterpost #5 of 2312/21/10 at 2:27pm
I used to own the K 702, K 271, and SR60; I listen to the same music you do, too.
If you plan to keep listening to indie rock, alternative, and grunge, you should definitely stick with the Grados--the SR60i is a great headphone and going up the Grado line will only give incremental improvements, if any. Contrary to what lots of people say around here, the AKGs (especially the 702) are not bad for rock and metal, but the SR60 is better by being more involving and energetic.
On the other hand, what the AKGs did for me was to expand the musical styles I listened to and to give me an appreciation for genres such as classical, vocal, jazz, and ambient electronic music. The way the AKGs presented music (especially the 702) was so different from what I was used to with the SR60 that I started to branch out in terms of music, unafraid of and even looking forward to leaving my comfort zone in search of new sounds & new experiences.
So it really is up to you and what you're looking for in a new headphone. If I could do it over again, I probably would have just kept the SR60 and K 702, as they complement each other so well.
Edited by ktsai1283 - 12/21/10 at 2:28pmpost #6 of 2312/21/10 at 8:17pmThread Starterpost #7 of 2312/22/10 at 10:39ampost #8 of 2312/22/10 at 6:19pmThread Starterpost #9 of 2312/23/10 at 10:27pm
well the way i saw it was that the first series range from 70~300 then it jumps to 500ish and then to 1k.. and it didn't seem like the 500ish grado phones were getting such a drastically higher rating/review. i wasn't about to spend 1k this early on a grados headphone either.. so i went for 325i. that way i wouldn't have to worry about upgrades for a while.
just from a marketing perspective, the 325i must have more discernible difference from 225i since 325i stands as the best make/statesman model of the prestige series, compared to, say, the difference between the 225i and 125i model, yet the cash difference is always $75 apart.
so i would either just get 80i to get a taste of a slightly-above-intro-level grados sound signature over the 60i or just go for the 325i but not the two models in between.. it's just how i saw it
225i is $225 and 325i is $300 i believe
Edited by jtstellar - 12/23/10 at 10:34pmpost #10 of 2312/24/10 at 2:09pmThread Starterpost #11 of 2312/24/10 at 3:16pm
by audiophile standards ya.. 80i is for beginners to start enjoying music.. 325i is clarity on a different level. it's easy to compare because it's the same brand. i don't know if 325i is the best value for $300 phones but i personally like it.. you should look around for second opinions. you might listen to different genres of music
i've only had 3 phones so far anyway.. try asking those who've owned 20~30 (or just dig archives)
Edited by jtstellar - 12/24/10 at 3:18pmpost #12 of 2312/25/10 at 11:29amThread Starter
I have heard that the akg 242hd are great for rock and when you add a amp the bass picks up and the are all around great and I got my dad's old huge amp and I am going to make a diy amp so I think I am leaning towards that but I still want the 80ipost #13 of 231/4/11 at 6:49pm
well sounds cool.. my akg 702 has its perks even tho i like my grados 325i more.. and i've never listened to that model you mentioned.. would like to hear if you find anything interesting from that setuppost #14 of 231/4/11 at 9:37pmpost #15 of 231/4/11 at 10:52pmQuote:
i've tried akg 702 with little dot 1+.. i think akg 702 may be a little more laid back and better suited for "legit" music listening. i seem to actually like music presentations that energize me rather than making me feel warm and fuzzy and laid back etc.. i am a little afraid to get too comfortable due to the performance-demanding nature of my work, to be frank. after i tried the semi-tube amp of little dot 1+, i started thinking that maybe a solid state with a more analytical sound might be better suited for me
but by energetic listening sessions i don't mean bassy raps or modern hip pop songs.. but perhaps some quick sensational play of violin etc.. something darker yet emotionally intense is more of my thing, kinda like the inception movie sound track
Edited by jtstellar - 1/4/11 at 10:55pm
- AKG K242HD VS AKG K272HD VS AKG k 702
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Motorsport Model-Fi 48 seconds ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 49 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 56 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 1 minute ago
- › SIBILANCE - List the headphones you have sold because of sibilance 1 minute ago
- › JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › How and why do members fall in love with second tier headphones? 3 minutes ago
- › New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal 3 minutes ago
- › TRRS to TRS adapter ( 3.5mm balanced TRRS to single ended TRS... 3 minutes ago
- › Cozoy Astrapi by Xtralglactic
- › Linum 2Pin Detachable Connector - BaX Dual Twist Model by acain
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by Wokei
- › Audio Technica AT-PHA50BT by unknownsolo
- › Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone by kite7
- › Sennheiser IE80 by ahnvx
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by ExCelciuS
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by vaziyetu
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by xsk3l3t0rx
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM02 balanced amature inner earphone by ahnvx
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2