Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › HRT iStreamer DAC video review - a true iPod/iPhone/Ipad DAC!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HRT iStreamer DAC video review - a true iPod/iPhone/Ipad DAC! - Page 3

post #31 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyman View Post

hi people, i know this post shouldnt be here, but i needed some helping hand..

 

id like to know if this product:

http://www.pure.com/products/product.asp?Product=VL-61429&Category=

functions like the istreamer.

 

 

thanks people.

 

(sorry, because im thinking if which is better between the two)


The i-20 you linked to is a dock with an inbuilt DAC  - the only way you will know which has better SQ is to audition both into your amp. Both products are clearly aimed at the iPad market - if you can somehow audition this in your city, I dont think it will take long to confirm whether their marketing is 100% accurate.

 

Edit : dont be seduced by the 24-bit/192kHz spec - heavily upsampled music can often sound worse than 16/44.1 CD quality, in my experience - you really need to hear the thing for yourself. 


Edited by estreeter - 1/6/11 at 8:52pm
post #32 of 119

^thanks for that sir...

 

 

 

gonna watch for this item before i take the plunged.

thank you sir.

post #33 of 119

Seems like iPad isent on the compatible list.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyman View Post

hi people, i know this post shouldnt be here, but i needed some helping hand..

 

id like to know if this product:

http://www.pure.com/products/product.asp?Product=VL-61429&Category=

functions like the istreamer.

 

 

thanks people.

 

(sorry, because im thinking if which is better between the two)

post #34 of 119

i think, ipad is compatible, someone in the reviewers mentioned about it.

i just cant remember...

but it was stated ipad compatible too.

post #35 of 119

No i just checked only ipods and iphones on the list.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyman View Post

i think, ipad is compatible, someone in the reviewers mentioned about it.

i just cant remember...

but it was stated ipad compatible too.

post #36 of 119

Many iPod docks in my opinion are heavily overpriced (partially thanks to Apple's licence fees), being fashion statements rather than plain electronics. From a distance the iPod's small dispaly is unreadable, making remotes useless, except for basic functions (skip, pause, play etc.). Changes in pin assignment between iPod generations and models make further trouble. Many docks do not provide a firm grip on the iPod (except for instance the B&W Zeppelin), making the use of click wheel or touch screen difficult. Many docks require additional boxes, DAC, (pre-) amp or both.

 

In this regard the iStreamer is a gift from heaven, in particular if it also powers and charges the iPod (which is not clear from the "official" specs). You just connect the dock cable (or extensions) and operate the iPod in the hand from your arm chair. When an iPod's battery dies, the dock may provide a stationary retirement home.

 

The majority of iPod users may not store music in ALAC. For them a mid-level DAC will do.

post #37 of 119
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappp View Post

Many iPod docks in my opinion are heavily overpriced (partially thanks to Apple's licence fees), being fashion statements rather than plain electronics. From a distance the iPod's small dispaly is unreadable, making remotes useless, except for basic functions (skip, pause, play etc.). Changes in pin assignment between iPod generations and models make further trouble. Many docks do not provide a firm grip on the iPod (except for instance the B&W Zeppelin), making the use of click wheel or touch screen difficult. Many docks require additional boxes, DAC, (pre-) amp or both.

 

In this regard the iStreamer is a gift from heaven, in particular if it also powers and charges the iPod (which is not clear from the "official" specs). You just connect the dock cable (or extensions) and operate the iPod in the hand from your arm chair. When an iPod's battery dies, the dock may provide a stationary retirement home.

 

The majority of iPod users may not store music in ALAC. For them a mid-level DAC will do.


Yup, from my review, the iStreamer powers/charges all iDevices when in use.  And yes, it would be nice if HRT added in their marketing material that the iStreamer charges/powers the device when in use...it's a big selling point, IMO. :)

 

-davy


Edited by mangamonster - 1/7/11 at 9:03am
post #38 of 119
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantoon View Post

Well done, very informative review



Thank you! gs1000.gif

post #39 of 119

Davy, I know you have done a vid showing the E9 with the K701, but is it possible for you to do a brief set of written impressions and start a thread on this particular combination ? Apologies if you have already done this - might be time to bump it as there seem to be two perennial questions here:

 

- where can I get an amp for my K70* without having to rob a bank ?

- will the E9 drive headphone 'X' (often the AKGs, but sometimes orthos ... )

 

Tks,

 

estreeter

post #40 of 119
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post

Davy, I know you have done a vid showing the E9 with the K701, but is it possible for you to do a brief set of written impressions and start a thread on this particular combination ? Apologies if you have already done this - might be time to bump it as there seem to be two perennial questions here:

 

- where can I get an amp for my K70* without having to rob a bank ?

- will the E9 drive headphone 'X' (often the AKGs, but sometimes orthos ... )

 

Tks,

 

estreeter


Hey estreeter :)

 

 

Thanks for watching my shtuff!

 

To quickly answer your questions:

 

1. For the 701's (or other K70*'s) I highly recommend the FiiO e9 amp to drive them if you are on a budget. At  $129, The e9 has some wonderful power behind it and may even get better with a better power supply..not sure if anyone has tried that yet. I would also recommend the inexpensive Little Dot MK III. Wonderful tube package, especially if you would like to take some of the edge off of the k701's and warm up the sound a bit...it is listed under $200 I believe.

 

2. I have a wide range of headphones and the e9 has driven all of them properly. Worth noting, I used my Denon D2000's, AKG 701's and the amp hungry Beyer DT990/600ohm cans. It drove them all properly and didn't skip a beat.

 

Also, my upcoming unbox reviews will also include my personal impressions ranging from sound quality and suggested application of the item. A lot of my subscribers have been asking for this, and although I never intended to give a full audio impression of each item I make videos of, I'm going to finally give in. Off course, this will all be opinionated from my personal views, but should hopefully provide the viewer with some more knowledge about the product.

 

Peace!

 

-Dave

post #41 of 119

 

guess i am one of the lucky ones who owns an istreamer now.

 

have been running it using pandora for more than a day. just out of the box, very impressed by the sound, especially the low, any bass header will love this product a lot for sure. i don't have a headphone amp, testing it with a bookself sperker system. still waiting for skylab's epic ONE of the big three to make a final purchase decision.

 

some observations so far:

 

1/   it can be powered by any regular usb cable which connects to a laptop/desktop usb port,  you don't have to use the wallwart to power it. but i think, it could be powered by an external battery, like statechi's iCel or new trent's imp1000, i am in the process to get one of them to test the idea. if it works, this (idevice + istreamer + headphone/ amp + external battery ) can make a very decent "Portable Audiophile" experience.

 

2/   istreamer works with my iphone4, ipad w/o 3g, ipod touch 2nd gen; but NOT with ipod 5gen /30gb, kind of sad, hope it is just a firmware issue.

 

3/   once you plug in idevice to istreamer, it will automatically disable your idevice volume control, and max out the volume on the idevice. you have to use the amp to adjust the sound volume.

 

P-A-P

post #42 of 119

The question of all questions:

 

How the iStreamer sounds?

 

The nominal specs suggests it should be on par with the Music Streamer II.

post #43 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by zappp View Post

The question of all questions:

 

How the iStreamer sounds?

 

The nominal specs suggests it should be on par with the Music Streamer II.


Different technology underneath, but one would hope that it has similar performance. I could bore you with Gordon Rankin's thoughts on why asynch USB is superior in terms of jitter reduction, but the important thing is how it sounds - I agree that we need a few more impressions in this thread.

post #44 of 119

To P-A-P and others interested:

 

Hi,

 

I am a new head-fi member, been lurking on and off for a few years and gotten a bunch good advice and information from head-fi, so thought to contribute a bit on this.

 

Having sought for about a year for a good kit to take my music with me to the office and when travellin I am now a happy owner of:

Ipod classic 160GB (ALAC)->istreamer->corda stepdance->pioneer hdj-2000.

 

Soundwise, I am not a real expert in analysing the sound and comparing it to other set-ups as this is my only first real full portable rig, but the words that come to mind when comparing the rig to ipod->corda stepdance->pioneer hdj-2000 are: deeper, punchier, clearer bass, more detail, more precise soundstage and clearer more pronounced highs. The bass is actually so plentiful with the pioneer headphones that I changed from the original pleather type to velour pads to tone it down a bit. With my Grado RS-2 the highs were maybe a bit too much, but work alright with the pioneer as it has somewhat reduced highs even with a quarter mod for the pads.

 

This is now my portable kit, as I also discovered that I am indeed able drive the istreamer with MiLi Power Crystal external battery pack that feeds it via USB mini at 5 V and 1000mA. The bass may become a bit mushier when the battery is less than 1/3 full. Maybe the 1000mA capacity is not enough as the USB power supply that comes with the package feeds istreamer with 2000mA at 5V.

 

The istreamer eats through the whole 2000mAh 3.7V battery in about 3-5 hours of continuous listening based on my first experience, so now I am getting one with 5000mAh 3.7V battery. There are ones with higher capacity, at least I found one with 5000mAh 5V battery inside, so that would give even longer life time. So far I found none with higher current output than 1000mA which might be required to get the full sound quality if I am correct that the MiLi is struggling with supplying enough current.

 

The full set-up wrapped together on top of each other with elastic strip (not sure about the correct English word, this cloth strip thingy with properties like rubber bands) looks pretty awful actually what with all the different form factors and looks of the devices and cables sticking out here and there, and would probably scare airport security people, but its the sound quality that matters, right? smily_headphones1.gif

 

Disclaimer: If you decide to experiment like I did with these external battery packs as power source for istreamer, then you do it at your own risk as I cannot guarantee that it does not harm the istreamer (and the manufacturer has nowhere hinted at this option), or in any way propose that you go the way I did. For me it seems to work so far, but you never know...

 

Regards,

Dr J

 

PS. Yeah, I know, my wallet is already hurting...

post #45 of 119

Carrying Dr J's post forward, the dream combo would be an iStreamer with integrated headphone (and pre-) amp.

 

I am not sure whether I would want to carry that arround with me as portable, battery-powered device. I need "portable" for veranda, beach or on the move (on foot, bus, train, plane), all with ambient noise and other distractions. I need "transportable" with good sound for armchair, office or hotel room where AC mains power is available.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › HRT iStreamer DAC video review - a true iPod/iPhone/Ipad DAC!