Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oh. My. God. (Got my HD 650s)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oh. My. God. (Got my HD 650s) - Page 7

post #91 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil3nce View Post

Additionally I have to say that I've tried the Omegas and with the hd650s side by side... It was pretty sad. At least 30 percent more on all areas



 Wow, the 650 was that much better! That's really encouraging for 650 owners.

 

 

tongue.gif

post #92 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil3nce View Post

Additionally I have to say that I've tried the Omegas and with the hd650s side by side... It was pretty sad. At least 30 percent more on all areas



 Wow, the 650 was that much better! That's really encouraging for 650 owners.

 

 

tongue.gif


That made me spill my diet soda. 

 

Anyway. After listening to Alessandro MS-1s for about 3 years, getting the HD650 was a pretty big step up (in terms of cost and sound quality). I think at this level of headphones, it's more (not all, but definitely more) about personal preferences than the raw technical excellence of the headphones.

 

Jack

post #93 of 182
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Micca View Post




That made me spill my diet soda. 

 

Anyway. After listening to Alessandro MS-1s for about 3 years, getting the HD650 was a pretty big step up (in terms of cost and sound quality). I think at this level of headphones, it's more (not all, but definitely more) about personal preferences than the raw technical excellence of the headphones.

 

Jack



I guess at this point I'm going to have to try to make some meets so I can hear all the varieties - especially before I make a step up to $1k sets.
post #94 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil3nce View Post

Additionally I have to say that I've tried the Omegas and with the hd650s side by side... It was pretty sad. At least 30 percent more on all areas



 Wow, the 650 was that much better! That's really encouraging for 650 owners.

 

 

tongue.gif


I lol'ed at this.

post #95 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Micca View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil3nce View Post

Additionally I have to say that I've tried the Omegas and with the hd650s side by side... It was pretty sad. At least 30 percent more on all areas



 Wow, the 650 was that much better! That's really encouraging for 650 owners.

 

 

tongue.gif


That made me spill my diet soda. 

 

Anyway. After listening to Alessandro MS-1s for about 3 years, getting the HD650 was a pretty big step up (in terms of cost and sound quality). I think at this level of headphones, it's more (not all, but definitely more) about personal preferences than the raw technical excellence of the headphones.

 

Jack



And also about any mods you've made, equipment you're using and music you like. I don't doubt, as has been covered in other threads, that phones like the LCD-2 are overall superior to the 650, but I think that superiority is going to show up much more in some systems than others, in some ears more than others, on some music more than others. One thing I'm certain of: at the discount prices the 650 can be got for these days it's an unadulterated bargain, and more than good enough for 95% of listeners. For the others, Audeze and Stax wait in the wings.

post #96 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post


And also about any mods you've made, equipment you're using and music you like. I don't doubt, as has been covered in other threads, that phones like the LCD-2 are overall superior to the 650, but I think that superiority is going to show up much more in some systems than others, in some ears more than others, on some music more than others. One thing I'm certain of: at the discount prices the 650 can be got for these days it's an unadulterated bargain, and more than good enough for 95% of listeners. For the others, Audeze and Stax wait in the wings.



That right there, is what I wish more people realized.  About everything.  wink.gif

post #97 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post

Just got my senn hd 650's. I'm disappointed. They are dark, boxy and totally undetailed. Can't believe all the hype about them.frown.gif



This is a typical response from someone used to lesser, more coloured headphones. No one here will convince you otherwise, but whatever you do don't sell the phones until you've given them a chance, and especially until you've compared them to live music. It's very easy to get attached to the sound of lesser phones, especially those with exaggerated bass and treble.  Remember, it's the music that's supposed to be exciting, not the phones. The phones just carry the sound to your ears, and it should be as flat and uncoloured as possible.

 

Also, when you say you can't believe all the hype, bear in mind that it must have a basis--why would so many people rave about something that's crap?


you are right, i'm coming from the likes of audio technica m50's and sony mdr 7506's. I don't want to sell them, but everytime i listen to my favorite tunes through them (Dance music), i'm not engaged in the listening experience like i normally am, and the reason is purely because the high frequencies don't stand out like i'm used to. It's hard to accept that with a pair of 500$ headphones. I've been doing some corrective eq'ing, but i don't like doing that as a solution. If I do sell them i'd opt for a pair of grado 325's, but i'm afraid I lose out on the soundstage of the 650's. I really don't know waht to do. Can anyone tell me what i'd lose or gain from the grado's compared to the 650's?? Should I just keep the 650's and hopefully get accustomed to their laidbackness?? Thanx


Edited by Raddler - 12/18/10 at 9:17pm
post #98 of 182

what does "boxy" even mean?

 

and undetailed? no way.

post #99 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

what does "boxy" even mean?

 

and undetailed? no way.



boxy=muffled=congested

 

undetailed=lack of high frequency detail, i'm sure others i'm not alone thinking that.

 

Look, i don't claim to be a guru audiophile, but i was expecting alot more from these headphones. When i demoed them before buying, i didn't notice these things for some reason, maybe because they were being demoed through an amazing amp, i don't know. I just wish they weren't so laid back. Would i have been better getting the 600's?? Can someone recommend a similar headphone to the 650's that have better high frequency sparkle!!??

post #100 of 182

if you are basing detail off of high frequency quantity i could see what you are saying, but to call them undetailed doesn't seem fair.

 

still not understanding boxy, muffled and congested. is it a soundstaging issue? or once again just the lack of high frequency?

 

what amp and source are you using with these? i could see them being called a bit dark, but i don't crave brightness so they work very well for me. the overall balance sounds very very similar to the way i have my home speaker system and car stereo tuned. i like a warm mid-centric sound along with decently strong bass, and highs that are more on the laid back side. 

 

they work well for me, but if you don't like them, that's fine. i would make sure you have them properly amped and give them a fair chance. there are quite a few who prefer the 600's brighter less warm and bassy sound. so maybe try them.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post





boxy=muffled=congested

 

undetailed=lack of high frequency detail, i'm sure others i'm not alone thinking that.

 

Look, i don't claim to be a guru audiophile, but i was expecting alot more from these headphones. When i demoed them before buying, i didn't notice these things for some reason, maybe because they were being demoed through an amazing amp, i don't know. I just wish they weren't so laid back. Would i have been better getting the 600's?? Can someone recommend a similar headphone to the 650's that have better high frequency sparkle!!??

post #101 of 182

What are you using to feed them? To me they were pretty detailed a term which I don't find synonymous with treble presence (though it can certainly provide the illusion of detail). They are dark and laid back though which by the sound of it isn't what you're looking for. Perhaps a DT880 or SA5000 although I didn't care to much for the latter one as to me they came off sounding dry and tonally wrong but that's just me (haven't heard the former).

post #102 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

what does "boxy" even mean?

 

and undetailed? no way.



boxy=muffled=congested

 

undetailed=lack of high frequency detail, i'm sure others i'm not alone thinking that.

 

Look, i don't claim to be a guru audiophile, but i was expecting alot more from these headphones. When i demoed them before buying, i didn't notice these things for some reason, maybe because they were being demoed through an amazing amp, i don't know. I just wish they weren't so laid back. Would i have been better getting the 600's?? Can someone recommend a similar headphone to the 650's that have better high frequency sparkle!!??


Didn't you say you just got them? I don't mean to sound arrogant by any means but you probably know that HD650 do need a long burn-in period? If I were to judge each of my cans on the basis of how they sounded when I just got them, they'd all be returned in their second week. I bought my HD650 used and I didn't like them at first but I kept listening to them and now they have either reached that point or something that they sound much different (you can call it psychological too, I don't care) than when I first listened to them. Give them a solid burn in and a good amp, and then say whatever you want to say, but I think if you "just" got them, it's too early to say that they are not that good. Just my two cents 

post #103 of 182

@ jasonb, are you saying that the 600's are brighter?? How's the bass compared to the 650's?? That's kinda hopefull, because i can get them for a great price.Muffled, kinda like not up front in your face, but again that's probably something i'm not used to. I run the headphones out of an apogee duet. They have 100 hours on them, i bought them used.

post #104 of 182

Are the 650's really that much better than Grado's?

 

I dont really have much of a point of reference since they are pretty much all I've ever listened to. I got the SR60's and thought they were great. Upgraded to a pair of SR225's and thought they were an improvement over the SR60. Tried some Denon d2000's and preferred the Grado's, so I bought a pair of MS2's. Now I have apair of HF2's that I wasnt totsally enamoured with when I first got them but have since determined that they sound much better burned in (actually the sound great). Not really looking to replace them but pssibly looking for a pair to complement them. The Fostex T50RP has been the leading contender and might be the eventual purchase. Although I'm not sure I really want a tinker toy. Just curious what the 650 brings to the table that makes it preferrable to some versus the Grado's.

post #105 of 182

i have never personally heard the 600's, but the 600's are known to be brighter and more extended up top and are also known to have less bass quantity and less bass punch. the added top end sounds like it may be nice, but i wouldn't want to sacrifice bass to do so. but thats just me.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post

@ jasonb, are you saying that the 600's are brighter?? How's the bass compared to the 650's?? That's kinda hopefull, because i can get them for a great price.Muffled, kinda like not up front in your face, but again that's probably something i'm not used to. I run the headphones out of an apogee duet. They have 100 hours on them, i bought them used.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oh. My. God. (Got my HD 650s)