Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC - Page 63

post #931 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post



The AD2000 are dynamic headphones with a 40 ohm impedance unless I'm mistaken, so they're not a very difficult load. I would be surprised if the Anedio couldn't drive them very well. Pretty much everyone with easily driven headphones have raved about the headphone amp while people with harder to drive headphones (300 ohm and up) are giving mixed reviews.

 

Sorry for such a basic question but I'm very confused. I thought the lower the ohms/impedance the harder it is to drive the headphones. The Hifiman HE-6 is meant to be very difficult to drive and are rated at 50 ohms whereas the Beyer T1 is rated at 600 ohms and are meant to be easier to drive.

post #932 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clsmooth391 View Post

 

Sorry for such a basic question but I'm very confused. I thought the lower the ohms/impedance the harder it is to drive the headphones. The Hifiman HE-6 is meant to be very difficult to drive and are rated at 50 ohms whereas the Beyer T1 is rated at 600 ohms and are meant to be easier to drive.

 

Sensitivity is the issue not impedance with the headphones mentioned. The HE6's have much lower sensitivity than the T1's.

post #933 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeljames View Post

 

Sensitivity is the issue not impedance with the headphones mentioned. The HE6's have much lower sensitivity than the T1's.

 

How comes it's mostly impedance that is mentioned when looking at how easy they are to drive? So should I be looking at both sensitivity and impedance and which one takes a heavier weighting?

 

Thank you for trying to help me understand.

post #934 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clsmooth391 View Post

 

How comes it's mostly impedance that is mentioned when looking at how easy they are to drive? So should I be looking at both sensitivity and impedance and which one takes a heavier weighting?

 

Thank you for trying to help me understand.

 

 

Very very good question, and you are right - sensitivity (dB) is the main number to check out, whilst impedance is the number that gets most of the attention. There is a big misconception out there. Luckily you have head-fi to sort things out for you. 

 

Impedance is important for reasons of impedance matching - because all amps have a given output impedance, that should be lower than the headphone impedance by a good margin. But guess what - output impedance numbers are almost impossible to find....  However - impedance is not far as important as the sensitivity. An impedance dismatch can sometimes give desireable results. Underpowering seldom does - and especially when you cannot get the volume you want :P 


Edited by ardilla - 2/7/13 at 2:23pm
post #935 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post

 

 

Very very good question, and you are right - sensitivity (dB) is the main number to check out, whilst impedance is the number that gets most of the attention. There is a big misconception out there. Luckily you have head-fi to sort things out for you. 

 

Impedance is important for reasons of impedance matching - because all amps have a given output impedance, that should be lower than the headphone impedance by a good margin. But guess what - output impedance numbers are almost impossible to find....  However - impedance is not far as important as the sensitivity. An impedance dismatch can sometimes give desireable results. Underpowering seldom does - and especially when you cannot get the volume you want :P 

 

 

Thank you so much for that. It makes things a lot clearer. I purchased a custom Woo Audio amplifier (which was since upgraded both inside and with the tubes). It looks very close to the WA2 but without the input selection on the front. I've ordered the Beyer T1s. I hope that they will get enough power from the amp. Would you have any idea if the WA2 can drive the T1s well?

 

Sorry I know this is on the Anedio thread. I'm about to get one and saw the part about driving headphones earlier in the thread.


Edited by Clsmooth391 - 2/7/13 at 4:08pm
post #936 of 951
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clsmooth391 View Post

 

 

Thank you so much for that. It makes things a lot clearer. I purchased a custom Woo Audio amplifier (which was since upgraded both inside and with the tubes). It looks very close to the WA2 but without the input selection on the front. I've ordered the Beyer T1s. I hope that they will get enough power from the amp. Would you have any idea if the WA2 can drive the T1s well?

 

Sorry I know this is on the Anedio thread. I'm about to get one and saw the part about driving headphones earlier in the thread.

 

The regular WA2 has something like a 60 ohm output impedance. That means it is ideally paired with high impedance headphones, which the T1 is. So it should be a good match. 

post #937 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clsmooth391 View Post

Thank you so much for that. It makes things a lot clearer. I purchased a custom Woo Audio amplifier (which was since upgraded both inside and with the tubes). It looks very close to the WA2 but without the input selection on the front. I've ordered the Beyer T1s. I hope that they will get enough power from the amp. Would you have any idea if the WA2 can drive the T1s well?

 

Sorry I know this is on the Anedio thread. I'm about to get one and saw the part about driving headphones earlier in the thread.

WA2 is a powerful OTL. Output impedance 60-80 (some difference between revisions) It is by many regarded a great match with the T1 -THE match in its price range. I ound the T1 to be too bright - and the WA2 didn't change that. I love theWA2 with the 300 ohm HD650 - but also enjoy it very much with LCD-2 and LCD-3 among others. 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/402215/the-woo-audio-2

http://www.head-fi.org/t/574969/good-tube-combinations-for-the-woo-audio-2

http://www.head-fi.org/t/531141/woo-wa2-headphones-tubes-and-mods-super-duper-thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/393811/woo-wa2-tube-rolling-recommendations

post #938 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

 

The regular WA2 has something like a 60 ohm output impedance. That means it is ideally paired with high impedance headphones, which the T1 is. So it should be a good match. 

 

Thank you prjoct86. Your review of the Anedio was really good and I have decided to take the plunge (for the D2). Would love to know how the D2 stacks up against the Hegel HD20 (as this dac has been looked upon as close to the Zodiac Antelope Gold). 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post

WA2 is a powerful OTL. Output impedance 60-80 (some difference between revisions) It is by many regarded a great match with the T1 -THE match in its price range. I ound the T1 to be too bright - and the WA2 didn't change that. I love theWA2 with the 300 ohm HD650 - but also enjoy it very much with LCD-2 and LCD-3 among others. 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/402215/the-woo-audio-2

http://www.head-fi.org/t/574969/good-tube-combinations-for-the-woo-audio-2

http://www.head-fi.org/t/531141/woo-wa2-headphones-tubes-and-mods-super-duper-thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/393811/woo-wa2-tube-rolling-recommendations

 

I don't like too bright a sound myself so will see how it goes - Might have to start changing headphones. Thank you for the links. 

post #939 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clsmooth391 View Post

I don't like too bright a sound myself so will see how it goes - Might have to start changing headphones. Thank you for the links. 

 

Well - then you might just order the wrong phones :P Try HD650/LCD-2 rev.1 for unbright sounds :) Or mod yourself a T50RP

 

T1 is less bright than HD800, wich is less bright than Grados - but they are all too bright for me. But I remember I was very sad when I sold the T1 - I liked them - but my ears had troubles with the sound :(

post #940 of 951
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clsmooth391 View Post

 

Thank you prjoct86. Your review of the Anedio was really good and I have decided to take the plunge (for the D2). Would love to know how the D2 stacks up against the Hegel HD20 (as this dac has been looked upon as close to the Zodiac Antelope Gold). 

 

 

 

I don't like too bright a sound myself so will see how it goes - Might have to start changing headphones. Thank you for the links. 

 

Thanks for the kind words. Sorry, I have yet to hear any Hegel gear. I like their no-nonsense aesthetic though, and will try something if I ever get a chance.

 

As ardilla said - the T1 might be too bright for you. A lot of people struggle with it because it is right on the line where some consider it bright and some don't. It would probably help if it had more bass boost, because then your ears would hear it as a "fun" V-shape presentation and it might be easier to swallow for some people. But that's clearly not what beyerdynamic had in mind - I'm guessing that they think T1 is neutral and not bright at all. 

post #941 of 951

I'm hoping I might be okay with it. I've tried the HD800s and really liked them and have owned the GS1000 which was to my tastes. However I was using the Meridian 568 as a dac and that really warmed up the sound. Really want the Anedio though as the user opinions in the whole are very positive.

post #942 of 951
Hello all it's been awhile... biggrin.gif

Anyway, I still love my D1 but am now on a search to find a great amp to pair it with to drive my LCD-2s. The Burson HA 160 doesn't do it for me in comparison to the D1 driving my Prodipe 8 speakers. It's caused me to rarely use my LCD-2s anymore as the quality gap is way too noticeable.

I really don't want to read through thousands of pages (already did that here biggrin.gif) so I'm seeking guidance in this thread. I'm looking for something below $3k that doesn't get in the way of the D1's, to me, unobstruction of the source material.

Thanks in advance!
post #943 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Permagrin View Post

Hello all it's been awhile... biggrin.gif

Anyway, I still love my D1 but am now on a search to find a great amp to pair it with to drive my LCD-2s. The Burson HA 160 doesn't do it for me in comparison to the D1 driving my Prodipe 8 speakers. It's caused me to rarely use my LCD-2s anymore as the quality gap is way too noticeable.

I really don't want to read through thousands of pages (already did that here biggrin.gif) so I'm seeking guidance in this thread. I'm looking for something below $3k that doesn't get in the way of the D1's, to me, unobstruction of the source material.

Thanks in advance!
The Bryston amp is a very good match. Better than the current FOTM selections.
post #944 of 951
Thread Starter 

I was never a huge fan of the Burson 160 models. The Soloist is supposedly better but I haven't heard it yet. My favorite amps at the moment are the Violectric V200, Icon Audio HP8 MkII, Analog Design Labs Svetlana 2, and Yulong Sabre A18. Of those, the Violectric is probably the one I use most as it works with such a wide variety of headphones and IEMs. 

post #945 of 951

Peak/Volcano

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC