or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC - Page 46

post #676 of 951

 

I can't make up my mind if i should go for the refurbished one or wait the updated D1.
any new theories on how long it might take before it is released?
 
Another question:
Would there be any difference between using the upcoming hi-res-USB on the D1, vs using my macbook optical out or the S/PDIF-out of my crappy sound card to the D1?
post #677 of 951

S/PDIF optical out is just passing the samples to the external DAC. The conversion to an analog signal is still done by the external DAC and not your internal soundcard on your MacBook. The USB to S/PDIF converter allows you to use a USB to output samples which are then upsampled and converted to S/PDIF if you prefer it that way. Jitter is also reduced.

 

I'd just use the optical out from your Macbook and connect it to the D1. You should only worry about the "crappy" soundcard from your Macbook if you use that as a DAC.

post #678 of 951

The refurbished units are going for a good price. If I didn't already have a D1 i would definitely get a refurbished one now.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluny View Post

 

I can't make up my mind if i should go for the refurbished one or wait the updated D1.
any new theories on how long it might take before it is released?
 
Another question:
Would there be any difference between using the upcoming hi-res-USB on the D1, vs using my macbook optical out or the S/PDIF-out of my crappy sound card to the D1?


 

post #679 of 951

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cky8 View Post

S/PDIF optical out is just passing the samples to the external DAC. The conversion to an analog signal is still done by the external DAC and not your internal soundcard on your MacBook. The USB to S/PDIF converter allows you to use a USB to output samples which are then upsampled and converted to S/PDIF if you prefer it that way. Jitter is also reduced.

 

I'd just use the optical out from your Macbook and connect it to the D1. You should only worry about the "crappy" soundcard from your Macbook if you use that as a DAC.


 

I understand that the conversion to an analog signal is still done by the DAC.
What i was wondering is: how good my [Macbook optical out],[my cheap (PC) sound card with S/PDIF out] is compared to [the upcoming D1 USB] or a [USB to S/PDIF converter].
Are they all equal?
 

Edited by Cluny - 8/10/11 at 5:11am
post #680 of 951

Last night was the first time I spent a good hour with the D1.  Listening through its HP out to the JH-13's.

 

I teared up.

 

Best. Purchase. Ever.

post #681 of 951

For one thing, optical can only do up to 24bit 96khz, internal USB only 16/44. And the upcoming USB to Spdif will do 24/192. As for a noticeable sound improvement, I think no one knows yet. Has anyone tried a 3rd party USB/Spdif?
As for how good is its implementation on your macbook? As good as any other mac. It's worked fine for me out of my mac pro for more than 2 months. But I will be getting the converter as soon as it's available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluny View Post

 

 


 

I understand that the conversion to an analog signal is still done by the DAC.
What i was wondering is: how good my [Macbook optical out],[my cheap (PC) sound card with S/PDIF out] is compared to [the upcoming D1 USB] or a [USB to S/PDIF converter].
Are they all equal?
 


 


Edited by KevinWolff - 8/10/11 at 5:21am
post #682 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluny View Post

 

 


 

I understand that the conversion to an analog signal is still done by the DAC.
What i was wondering is: how good my [Macbook optical out],[my cheap (PC) sound card with S/PDIF out] is compared to [the upcoming D1 USB] or a [USB to S/PDIF converter].
Are they all equal?
 

The only difference between all of these is the quantity of jitter in the incoming data stream, if the jitter rejection scheme of the DAC you are using is good, there should be no difference in the analog signal post DAC. And I have no reason to believe the D1's jitter rejection is bad.

As far as capacity to handle high def formats is concerned, I wouldn't worry so much about it, 99,99% of you music is probably 16/44 anyway ad any difference with the high def files is more likely to come from a different mastering than from the limitations of 16/44 itself.
post #683 of 951

Thanks for all replies, I was too slow.. they are sold out now :(

post #684 of 951

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifwst View Post

After reading the thread I went to their site and found they have a few refurbished D1's listed, $1090 + shipping; well they have one less for sale as of today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluny View Post

Thanks for all replies, I was too slow.. they are sold out now :(


So happy I jumped on one while I was sitting in the airport after I read clifwst's post - was nervous they would sell out - thanks!

 

Was really struggling to find a DAC/hp-amp/preamp that could match this for the price - nothing seemed comparable. Pumped!!! L3000.gif

post #685 of 951

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluny View Post

Thanks for all replies, I was too slow.. they are sold out now :(



Whoa. I'm amazed at how fast they sold out!bigsmile_face.gif

 

post #686 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post

Last night was the first time I spent a good hour with the D1.  Listening through its HP out to the JH-13's.

 

I teared up.

 

Best. Purchase. Ever.


Good, glad it's working out for you!  

 

post #687 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooslice View Post

Whoa. I'm amazed at how fast they sold out!bigsmile_face.gif



Yeah, considering I had one on the used market for nearly a month a good deal less than that, lol.  To be fair 7-8 people were interested, a couple committed to purchase then backed out, and then the following week after it sold I got a couple more "is it still available??" lol.


Edited by bobeau - 8/10/11 at 11:57am
post #688 of 951
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post

Last night was the first time I spent a good hour with the D1.  Listening through its HP out to the JH-13's.

 

I teared up.

 

Best. Purchase. Ever.



I agree! I tend to prefer listening straight from the D1 for all of my custom IEMs. My Violectric V200 is better for power hungry orthos, and I prefer my tube amp for audio Technica headphones..... but nothing can beat the D1 amp section for IEMs. 

post #689 of 951

That was fast, I ordered 9 Aug about 8am, and have been notified by UPS that I will receive it  Aug 12th,  too bad I have to be out of town this weekend. Oh well next week.

post #690 of 951

I've been really happy with my Anedio D1 so far but I'm impatient about the asynch. I want to see what all the fuss over asynch is about. Does anyone know if the difference is fairly audible? I don't really notice an issue with my Anedio with optical, but then again I never used asynch.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC