or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC - Page 41

post #601 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc View Post

Quote:

 

I can definitely relate--this is what worries me about high end rigs.  A run-in with a $5K LCD-2 rig two days ago left me with a similar feeling at one point.  

 

Not to derail this thread, but out of curiosity was it the packaged Audeze/Redwine setup?   I desperately want to hear an LCD-2, and probably would have acquired one by now if it weren't for my home situation.  Yes, I'm probably a mid-fi kinda guy (relatively speaking smily_headphones1.gif).

 

 

post #602 of 951

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobeau View Post

Not to derail this thread, but out of curiosity was it the packaged Audeze/Redwine setup?   I desperately want to hear an LCD-2, and probably would have acquired one by now if it weren't for my home situation.  Yes, I'm probably a mid-fi kinda guy (relatively speaking smily_headphones1.gif).

 


No, this was a Havana, Apache, LCD-2 rig.  I might have a chance to listen to the production RWA/Audez'e at the end of this month though.

post #603 of 951

That was some interesting impressions you posted, bobeau, good luck with the DAC hunt.

post #604 of 951
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungwalsky View Post

All your impressions are very interesting. I'm looking for a new dac, and the clarity and neutrality of this one make me think that it could be a better choice for me, over the burson or the minimax. 

I own a pair of D5000, and it seems that the synergy is good between them. 

But I didn't find in the topic an opinion with JVC  DX1000. 

Do they sound good together? 


I don't recall hearing from anyone in this thread who owns a DX1000, so there might not be anyone to answer that question.

 

post #605 of 951

I also have a DX1000 and recently got a TC konnekt 6 as I wanted a cheap solution to experiment with a balanced set up. All I can say is that  the DAC is incredible for the money and for some  mysterious reasons the headphone amp has an incredible synergy with the DX1000. I tried it with all my other cans and the amp sounds mediocre, except with the HD650, which sounds very good but not has good as with my Concerto. 

Plugged straight into the Konnekt the DX1000's treble open up and the headphone loose some of its boxiness and  bass is weighty  and detailed. You will need a firewire port to use the konnekt or you can opt for the TC BMC-2 if you have a SPDIF out.

post #606 of 951

 

 

Quote:
I don't recall hearing from anyone in this thread who owns a DX1000, so there might not be anyone to answer that question.

 

Thanks. Maybe I will be the first one to test the combo... 

 

Quote:

I also have a DX1000 and recently got a TC konnekt 6 as I wanted a cheap solution to experiment with a balanced set up. All I can say is that  the DAC is incredible for the money and for some  mysterious reasons the headphone amp has an incredible synergy with the DX1000. I tried it with all my other cans and the amp sounds mediocre, except with the HD650, which sounds very good but not has good as with my Concerto. 

Plugged straight into the Konnekt the DX1000's treble open up and the headphone loose some of its boxiness and  bass is weighty  and detailed. You will need a firewire port to use the konnekt or you can opt for the TC BMC-2 if you have a SPDIF out.

 

My actual dac is a TC konnect 24D, and it's really nice, but I need something more powerful...  and I suppose hearing a true improvement with an Anedio D1, or another dac more specialized than a TC product. 


Edited by gungwalsky - 7/5/11 at 1:45pm
post #607 of 951

Have you tried the headphone out with your DX1000? and did you have a chance to compare it to another dac+ amp combo? Not sure what you mean by more powerful. 

I own a Stagedac+ Concerto and tried many DACs including, Calyx and Ref 7, and surprisingly my DX1000 never sounded better than straight out of the Konnekt. Well, I am lying as I had the chance to try a Tranquility dac + Darkvoice 337SE with expensive NOS tubes and that was just sublime.

PS: sorry for derailling the thread, plus the hardware in your TC may well be different from the one in the Konnekt.

 

post #608 of 951

Just throwing it out there... anyone have a WA6SE they'd like to trade, please let me know :)


Edited by bobeau - 7/6/11 at 4:13pm
post #609 of 951

Yes, I tried it. And I agree that the balance is awesome with the DX1000 for the price! 

But when I connect my amp (Trafomatic head one) to the Konnect, the level of details increases, the bass and voices sound really more expressive, the soundstage becomes deeper and the sound more organic. On the other hand, I lost the fantastic balance, treble are setback, and the "boxiness" grow up...

I search a new Dac/amp :

- which is good with the D5000, because my actual set is poor with it (I owned a gilmore lite before to drive it, and appreciated SS amp with Denon, but I desire now the same level of details, without the coldness of the headamp)

- which have a very great neutral balance, that's can "control" my tubes amp (that's why I talked about "more powerfull", sorry if I'm not clear), just letting it doing what it does good, and avoiding the cons of its use with the JVC.

The versatility of the Anedio that I could use alone with the D5000, and like a preamp with the DX1000, and his smooth neutrality, let me think that it could be a very great upgrade for me. But it's perhaps utopian to think find THE product that have a good synergy with 2 cans and an amp...

 

 


Edited by gungwalsky - 7/6/11 at 11:00am
post #610 of 951

 

Having just gone through the same exercise, I can definitely relate to bobeau's experience with the D1, in trying to get a desired sound out of one particular headphone. Basically your options are limited, and you tend to know soon enough if things are right or wrong. Often times this is basically one of the general aspects of setting up and fine tuning an audio system, with the added factor that the stakes can be pretty high. 

 

 

 

post #611 of 951

Anyone knows what upsampling digital filter is being used by the Anedio D1?  I noticed that ESS9018 is doing hw upsampling.  I wonder if it can be configured to use Linear Phase upsampling digital filter or Minimal Phase upsampling digital filter.  The latter is of course the better sounding digital filter of the two.

 

post #612 of 951


 

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigmode View Post


Having just gone through the same exercise, I can definitely relate to bobeau's experience with the D1, in trying to get a desired sound out of one particular headphone. Basically your options are limited, and you tend to know soon enough if things are right or wrong. Often times this is basically one of the general aspects of setting up and fine tuning an audio system, with the added factor that the stakes can be pretty high. 

 

 

 

Thanks, I started to be afraid of going in a wrong way. Apparently, my research seems to have a sense, hoping a satisfying result. 

 

 

 



 

post #613 of 951

Has anyone tried an AD2000 straight out of the D1? I'm wondering if that could make a good pairing.

 

-Daniel

post #614 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

Has anyone tried an AD2000 straight out of the D1? I'm wondering if that could make a good pairing.

 

-Daniel



The AD2000 are dynamic headphones with a 40 ohm impedance unless I'm mistaken, so they're not a very difficult load. I would be surprised if the Anedio couldn't drive them very well. Pretty much everyone with easily driven headphones have raved about the headphone amp while people with harder to drive headphones (300 ohm and up) are giving mixed reviews.

post #615 of 951

Yeah I knew the D1 could power them properly-I was just looking for some detailed impressions to see if they had any synegy specifically. It would probably just be a stop-gap solution while I decide on my TOTL amp. Thanks!

 

-Daniel

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC