or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC - Page 30

post #436 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Permagrin View Post


Conversely, I will stop being lazy and do a proper comparison between the D1 headphone out and the Burson soon.



It is not just the headphone amp.  The DAC will make a significant impact to the sonic signature of the HPA.

 

post #437 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2001 View Post





It is not just the headphone amp.  The DAC will make a significant impact to the sonic signature of the HPA.

 


I don't have the Burson DAC/amp but the stand-alone HA 160 so the D1 will be the DAC either way.
post #438 of 951

Ordered Saturday but it's a holiday weekend in the states. I live in NJ so I had to pay in state sales tax of around $80. I asked if I could come in person to pick it up since I'm less than an hour away, but they said they are not set up for that. They did say they would give me a shipping discount in the form of a coupon code. I still need to follow up on that.

 

I'm coming from the Hrt music streamer II+ so I have high hopes for the d1. I'm using an RSA SR-71A amp. Has anyone tried the d1 with this amp?  Headphones are hd650 with blue dragon recable. Thinking about the LCD-2 but not sure if the SR-71a handles these well and can't afford a new 1-2k amp right now.

post #439 of 951

Wow, I just looked at Anedio's site and the D1 is now sold out due to heavy demand. Looks like I ordered just in time...I hope. 

post #440 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWolff View Post

Ordered Saturday but it's a holiday weekend in the states. I live in NJ so I had to pay in state sales tax of around $80. I asked if I could come in person to pick it up since I'm less than an hour away, but they said they are not set up for that. They did say they would give me a shipping discount in the form of a coupon code. I still need to follow up on that.

 

I'm coming from the Hrt music streamer II+ so I have high hopes for the d1. I'm using an RSA SR-71A amp. Has anyone tried the d1 with this amp?  Headphones are hd650 with blue dragon recable. Thinking about the LCD-2 but not sure if the SR-71a handles these well and can't afford a new 1-2k amp right now.



The amp section on the D1 is very good so it represents another path for you to evaluate.  I cannot speak to the LCD-2, but the D1 handles the HE-500 very well and it is a slightly more difficult load to drive.  The transparency, speed, and stage/imaging of the HE-500 are all well matched with the D1 and it represents a clear step above the HD650 (it should for the additional cost).  That is not to take anything away from the HD650, or the 600/580 for that matter (I have all three) and all three sound great with the D1 driven the Stefan Audio Art cables.  All three senns come across with the typical senn presenatation and transparency, the amp does nothing to embelish or take away from the strengths of the sennheisers although there is a greater sense of image width and depth with the D1 than I have heard from other systems. The strength of the D1 amp/dac is the absolute transparency, speed, and control from bottom to top of the spectrum with no noise, grain, or glare so you will hear whatever you put into it.  It is so good that you will find yourself questioning any other components in the chain. I *highly* recommend driving the D1 through its coax input. 

 

Good luck with the shipping, I know it sucks to wait for something you are looking forward to.

 

 

post #441 of 951

Thanks, I will try it both ways. I wouldn't mind moving the sr-71a to a mobile rig and just using the d1 for now. I read good things about the he-500. 

post #442 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWolff View Post

Wow, I just looked at Anedio's site and the D1 is now sold out due to heavy demand. Looks like I ordered just in time...I hope. 

 

 

I'm glad I ordered mine in time too, my D1 should be here today.

 

 

post #443 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthling View Post

The amp section on the D1 is very good so it represents another path for you to evaluate.  I cannot speak to the LCD-2, but the D1 handles the HE-500 very well and it is a slightly more difficult load to drive.  The transparency, speed, and stage/imaging of the HE-500 are all well matched with the D1 and it represents a clear step above the HD650 (it should for the additional cost).  That is not to take anything away from the HD650, or the 600/580 for that matter (I have all three) and all three sound great with the D1 driven the Stefan Audio Art cables.  All three senns come across with the typical senn presenatation and transparency, the amp does nothing to embelish or take away from the strengths of the sennheisers although there is a greater sense of image width and depth with the D1 than I have heard from other systems. The strength of the D1 amp/dac is the absolute transparency, speed, and control from bottom to top of the spectrum with no noise, grain, or glare so you will hear whatever you put into it.  It is so good that you will find yourself questioning any other components in the chain. I *highly* recommend driving the D1 through its coax input. 

 

Good luck with the shipping, I know it sucks to wait for something you are looking forward to.

 

I personally feel that the amp section isn't powerful enough the drive the HD650s to their full potential, each to his own I guess but I would strongly suggest anyone who uses this combo to at least try a good amp.

 

And the toslink works excellent as well....

 

Sold out eh? That's nice - I like Anedio as company, they seem to have an honest approach and some very right ideas. Hopefully this means they are doing well and will be able to make some more products. Maybe a $600-700 DAC? Who knows...

post #444 of 951

Got my D1 today. All I can say now is wow. I'm blown away by the sound I'm hearing. The improvement from the Essence ST soundcard is nothing short of astounding. I'm using the coax out on the Essence ST which also has a jitter clock, I'm not sure if it makes any difference though compared to using my motherboard SPDIF out. 

 

The music is balanced, controlled, clear defined and coherent soundstage, zero distortion in vocals, lots of dynamics, lots of bass.

I've played a lot of different genres so far, all of it sounds fantastic. Some songs I thought was dull before now comes alive and I start to appreciate them. I can really hear how vocals have improved, they sound way more realistic and authentic now. 

 

The D1 pairs beautiful with the Schiit Lyr and HE-6. The Lyr compliments the D1 with its full and punchy sound and the HE-6 is displaying all the details from the D1. I've noticed that it's easier for me now to hear the differences between the different tubes I have for the Lyr because the D1 is so clear and neutral.

 

I tried both the HE-6 and HD650 in the D1 amp. The D1 amp wasn't ideal for either of them. The HD650 wasn't bad, it sounded very clear but a bit thin like there was too much treble and not enough body in the sound. It was pretty easy to hear that the HE-6 was underpowered. Edit: I actually like the amp a lot now with the HD650.

 

The only negative thing I have to say about the D1 is that it's very big. Other than the size I like the design, it looks very good in person. It's nice to have a remote control too.

 

 

Billede0509.jpg


Edited by ZorgDK - 7/13/11 at 4:01pm
post #445 of 951
^ Cheers!
post #446 of 951

Congrats! How long did it take from order to delivery? Trying to estimate the arrival of mine. Ordered Saturday, but with the US holiday today is only the second business day for me. Plus I asked them to disable the lights, so that might slow it down another day.

 

Wow, it is big. I briefly had a schiit valhalla and the size is roughly the same as the lyr. I found it to be big, but it seems like a portable next to the d1

post #447 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Permagrin View Post

^ Cheers!


Thanks, I'm one happy camper with the D1 now :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWolff View Post

Congrats! How long did it take from order to delivery? Trying to estimate the arrival of mine. Ordered Saturday, but with the US holiday today is only the second business day for me. Plus I asked them to disable the lights, so that might slow it down another day.

 

Wow, it is big. I briefly had a schiit valhalla and the size is roughly the same as the lyr. I found it to be big, but it seems like a portable next to the d1


Thanks :) I ordered May 23th and I got it today June 1st. I'm in Denmark and that's including time at customs. I thought about the lights too before I ordered but I like them as part of the art deco style. But I can see how they could be annoying, they haven't bothered me yet though.

 

The D1 is roughly as wide as the Lyr, a bit higher but quite long and that's my grip with the design. I suppose it's designed to be in an audio furniture stack. I like to have it on my desk though. 

 

  

 


Edited by ZorgDK - 6/1/11 at 11:36am
post #448 of 951

The lights are fine, I just prefer it dark, eye issues. Also, I'm more of a "hide how much you've spent" type of audiophile, where most audiophiles want to show off their stuff and would argue that's part of the fun in this hobby, and the lights are good for that. 

 

I'm also considering the Lyr with the 6N23p tube roll. I want the liquid fire that everyone is talking about or something of that level of quality, but I just bought the d1 and the lcd-2's and need to keep perspective. The lyr is a lot of power for a little money. I found the valhalla boring and that's affecting my decision, even though the lyr is clearly a different amp. Schiit's 15-day / 5% restock makes it easier to demo at least. I have to research more and see which amps pair the best with the lcd-2's and the d1.

 

Have fun with your new D1 and keep us posted on your impressions.

 

6 business days to denmark. I'm only  an hour away from the company. Could my getting it this week be too much to hope for? (4 days) Probably but it's too late. My hopes are up high.

 

post #449 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWolff View Post

The lights are fine, I just prefer it dark, eye issues. Also, I'm more of a "hide how much you've spent" type of audiophile, where most audiophiles want to show off their stuff and would argue that's part of the fun in this hobby, and the lights are good for that. 

 

I'm also considering the Lyr with the 6N23p tube roll. I want the liquid fire that everyone is talking about or something of that level of quality, but I just bought the d1 and the lcd-2's and need to keep perspective. The lyr is a lot of power for a little money. I found the valhalla boring and that's affecting my decision, even though the lyr is clearly a different amp. Schiit's 15-day / 5% restock makes it easier to demo at least. I have to research more and see which amps pair the best with the lcd-2's and the d1.

 

Have fun with your new D1 and keep us posted on your impressions.

 

6 business days to denmark. I'm only  an hour away from the company. Could my getting it this week be too much to hope for? (4 days) Probably but it's too late. My hopes are up high.

 


I ordered mine on a Tuesday and received it Friday if I recall correctly.
post #450 of 951

My one was ordered at May 23 evening, shipped at May 26 (I think it took them 2 to 3 days to go through the testing), and arrived at May 31 noon (UPS Ground, from NJ to NY). The original delivery day was May 27, but delayed by UPS due to the holiday. This is the first high end equipment I get and don't have any other equipments to compare with. I only get a chance to listen to it for one hour last night and it is still under burn-in period. All I can say now is just wow!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC