In my opinion I would not want any cable from him , even it's the best in the world. No cable worth waiting that long.
We have been waiting for a cable for 8-9 months, if we are waiting for a Blue Hawaii SE that's understandable.
The only thing that still keeps me asking for the cable is that I still want Alex to be in business for the sake
of himself only . We should demand a refund and we can begin doing something with paypal or his bank credit or
even go to the customer protection. We know that he is now in Pennsylvania which I wonder any storm there?
and we can proceed from there or we can start from here in head-fi. We can issue him a letter from our group
demanding a refund and if there is no direct answer that could be the beginning of the legal process. We
keep holding those measures back in my opinion partly because I as a person would not want to hurt anybody business
and I think most of our group are thinking the same, more or less.
A gentleman direct answer and promise from Alex will solve all
If Brent can get his cable, why any direct mail from Heli or Alex to Smart once in a while so difficult?