Audio Technica W1000 is one of the more underrated phones from the Japanese manufacturer...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Music range: Modern Rock - Extreme Metal music headphones Last post on 10/7/11 at 3:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Replacement ear pads for AudioTechnica ATH-A900 headphones Last post on 9/17/11 at 8:04am in Headphones (full-size)
- W1000x V W1000/W5000 question Last post on 8/13/11 at 12:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What would be good upgrades for ESW9s? Last post on 6/18/11 at 9:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- songs that sound epic on ATH-W1000 Last post on 5/21/11 at 10:46am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The E5 is so close to being a giant killer but it has a few major flaws in my opinion. This is a technically oriented review. I like neutral sound signatures and bit perfect playback. I don't...
"Massdrop Blue Box - NuForce HEM IEMs" special drop pricing = $169.99*; Actual MSRP = $399.00 (I joined the drop on Massdrop and received the HEM6; LINK. You can find these and the other...
Hi All, I was given the chance to review the new Shozy Zero Rosewood earphones in exchange for just a small fee to cover the shipping. I received, as I'm sure some other reviewers did, an...
-- I give you Lend Me UR Ears house brand Alpha & Delta D2 Sports Earphone: **A few Disclaimers to get out of the way here**: #1 – I was approached by Lend Me UR Ears to review the...
I really like the t-90; I have had them for about two months and really enjoy the brightness. I also have the T70p and the t-5p second gen. I like the t70p better than anything so far. The t 90...
Audio Technica W1000 Thread - Page 6
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 832/25/14 at 10:30pmThread Starterpost #78 of 832/28/14 at 9:45am
Nope, W5000 sounds unnatural in the mids, but does strings and piano quite well. Dunno how but that is how it is. Very coloured headphones, very polarising too even with the right amp driving it.post #79 of 832/28/14 at 9:37pmThread Starterpost #80 of 833/16/14 at 10:02pm
So I just obtained a W1000 out of sheer luck.
Love the treble and midrange. It's perfect to my ears. Sweet midrange and treble that extends very well without being overwhelming. There is a noticeable lack of air due to them being closed, but they still sound very natural thanks to the very well-done treble.
But bass was severely lacking. Well, "was". I've been able to rectify that with some... clever padding of materials in the back of the wood ear cups enclosure, and some rolls of tissue in the ear pads to puff them up for a better seal and also better comfort.
Wow... and now I must say, this is what the W1000X should have been. Simply a W1000 with more bass to balance out the bright treble and midrange section. The W1000 is able to produce some pretty convincing bass without bloat (because it doesn't quite respond that well in the sub-bass region). It's now my favorite general-purpose headphone that's good for pretty much... everything.
Will do a write-up on how to perform this mod whenever I have some more free time.post #81 of 8310/29/15 at 10:45pmThread Starter
Headphones go round and round... and the W1000 is still very, very special. Great pairing with iFi Nano, BTW.
I am listening to Yo-Yo Ma's Obrigado Brazil right not and it could not possibly be better. Cello and vocals are just unbeatable with these. They almost put you the lap... :-)post #82 of 8310/29/15 at 11:27pmpost #83 of 8310/29/15 at 11:52pm
I was able to try them out a few years ago when i was looking out for my first wooden can. when I went to the guy that owned them. He laid these three out for me to audition: the VTG, the AD2000 and this.
If I would sum up the overall experience (of these phones) in one word, it would be - Polite. Everything sounded plain, although detailed (more than the VTG, less than the AD2000), mainly on the lower frequencies. if I recall correctly, it sounded like a flatter A900 (which i had) with everything sounded more 'forward' if I am using the term correctly, although it may be because the A900 had recessed midrange.
I guess that's why I chose the VTG over these. I personally didn't hate them, but the VTGs 'sang' to me (in a 'female vocals are very close to you' kind of way.) adding to that, their age made them more desirable. plus points for them since I tend to go ampless, and they seem more forgiving to the source.
Now, if I had the chance to try these out again, i would be more likely to buy them.
- Audio Technica W1000 Thread
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 28 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Over ear review 1 minute ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 1 minute ago
- › He-400 bass? 2 minutes ago
- › EQ help for my AD900X's 2 minutes ago
- › Happily ever after? 2 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio "Pro" desktop line discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Westone ES60 unboxing and first impressions 3 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 4 minutes ago
- › Sound Blaster E5 - 24-bit/192kHz High-Resolution USB DAC &... by vapman
- › NuForce HEM6 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Triple... by Hi-Fi EDU
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by jant71
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by BloodyPenguin
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by glennkresge
- › Unique Melody Miracle V2 Universal six driver in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by MMansell
- › Philips SHE3595WT/28 In-Ear Headset with Mic White by stweb
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by ryanjsoo
- › Rhapsodio Galaxy by taz23
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse