Audio Technica W1000 is one of the more underrated phones from the Japanese manufacturer...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Music range: Modern Rock - Extreme Metal music headphones Last post on 10/7/11 at 3:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Replacement ear pads for AudioTechnica ATH-A900 headphones Last post on 9/17/11 at 8:04am in Headphones (full-size)
- W1000x V W1000/W5000 question Last post on 8/13/11 at 12:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What would be good upgrades for ESW9s? Last post on 6/18/11 at 9:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- songs that sound epic on ATH-W1000 Last post on 5/21/11 at 10:46am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction With thanks to my esteemed colleague and front page superstar @glassmonkey for fronting this review spectacular. 3 cheers also go out to Iain and the rest of the RHA team for...
Thanks go to earphonia.com who were pleased to let me give the excellently valued Co-Donguri earphone a spin. Pairings Equipment Hidizs AP60 Chord Mojo Dac Intro My second IEM...
Kaiser Encore: Early impressions Please note: This review is posted only so I could share my (very) early impressions, as I know many are eager to hear about the latest Noble (co-) flagship....
Note: I have previously reviewed the K10 from Noble, where I covered much of Noble’s history and order process. For this reason, I will use some of the portions of that review that pertain to Noble...
Founded in 2014 in Guangzhou, China, Shinrico is a company focused on digital electronic products in the field of high-tech enterprises. Recently I reviewed their excellent D3S Digital...
Audio Technica W1000 Thread - Page 6
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 832/25/14 at 10:30pmThread Starterpost #78 of 832/28/14 at 9:45am
Nope, W5000 sounds unnatural in the mids, but does strings and piano quite well. Dunno how but that is how it is. Very coloured headphones, very polarising too even with the right amp driving it.post #79 of 832/28/14 at 9:37pmThread Starterpost #80 of 833/16/14 at 10:02pm
So I just obtained a W1000 out of sheer luck.
Love the treble and midrange. It's perfect to my ears. Sweet midrange and treble that extends very well without being overwhelming. There is a noticeable lack of air due to them being closed, but they still sound very natural thanks to the very well-done treble.
But bass was severely lacking. Well, "was". I've been able to rectify that with some... clever padding of materials in the back of the wood ear cups enclosure, and some rolls of tissue in the ear pads to puff them up for a better seal and also better comfort.
Wow... and now I must say, this is what the W1000X should have been. Simply a W1000 with more bass to balance out the bright treble and midrange section. The W1000 is able to produce some pretty convincing bass without bloat (because it doesn't quite respond that well in the sub-bass region). It's now my favorite general-purpose headphone that's good for pretty much... everything.
Will do a write-up on how to perform this mod whenever I have some more free time.post #81 of 8310/29/15 at 10:45pmThread Starter
Headphones go round and round... and the W1000 is still very, very special. Great pairing with iFi Nano, BTW.
I am listening to Yo-Yo Ma's Obrigado Brazil right not and it could not possibly be better. Cello and vocals are just unbeatable with these. They almost put you the lap... :-)post #82 of 8310/29/15 at 11:27pmpost #83 of 8310/29/15 at 11:52pm
I was able to try them out a few years ago when i was looking out for my first wooden can. when I went to the guy that owned them. He laid these three out for me to audition: the VTG, the AD2000 and this.
If I would sum up the overall experience (of these phones) in one word, it would be - Polite. Everything sounded plain, although detailed (more than the VTG, less than the AD2000), mainly on the lower frequencies. if I recall correctly, it sounded like a flatter A900 (which i had) with everything sounded more 'forward' if I am using the term correctly, although it may be because the A900 had recessed midrange.
I guess that's why I chose the VTG over these. I personally didn't hate them, but the VTGs 'sang' to me (in a 'female vocals are very close to you' kind of way.) adding to that, their age made them more desirable. plus points for them since I tend to go ampless, and they seem more forgiving to the source.
Now, if I had the chance to try these out again, i would be more likely to buy them.
- Audio Technica W1000 Thread
- Headphone Impedance
- › Rhapsodio thread 40 seconds ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 1 minute ago
- › Aussie & NZ Head-Fiers Corner 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 3 minutes ago
- › MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd... 3 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 4 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 5 minutes ago
- › Upcoming DAP from xDuoo - the X10! 12 minutes ago
- › RHA CL750 by Takeanidea
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by Takeanidea
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Sorensiim
- › Noble Audio Katana by cvbcbcmv
- › Shinrico E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier by crabdog
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear