Audio Technica W1000 is one of the more underrated phones from the Japanese manufacturer...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Music range: Modern Rock - Extreme Metal music headphones Last post on 10/7/11 at 3:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Replacement ear pads for AudioTechnica ATH-A900 headphones Last post on 9/17/11 at 8:04am in Headphones (full-size)
- W1000x V W1000/W5000 question Last post on 8/13/11 at 12:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What would be good upgrades for ESW9s? Last post on 6/18/11 at 9:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- songs that sound epic on ATH-W1000 Last post on 5/21/11 at 10:46am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This review is from earphonia.com Re-posted on headfi to share to impressions http://earphonia.com/earphone-cables/effect-audio-iem-cable-thor-silver-ii-lightning-strikes As a lot of...
Intro The Meze 12 Classics has been provided to me by the Meze company as part of the official European review tour in exchange for my honest opinion. Later on Meze decided the participants can...
Hello and thanks for getting to my review! Firstly, need to tell you that this DAC/headamp has no battery inside, so those needing something to listen while jogging or walking might need to...
SPECS: Driver Type 8mm Dynamic Plug Type 3.5mm Gold-plated Cord Length 1.3m Y Frequency Response 12 Hz – 22...
1MORE Capsule Dual-Driver In-Ear Headphones Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to 1MORE UK for the review sample. Full review...
Audio Technica W1000 Thread - Page 6
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 832/25/14 at 10:30pmThread Starterpost #78 of 832/28/14 at 9:45am
Nope, W5000 sounds unnatural in the mids, but does strings and piano quite well. Dunno how but that is how it is. Very coloured headphones, very polarising too even with the right amp driving it.post #79 of 832/28/14 at 9:37pmThread Starterpost #80 of 833/16/14 at 10:02pm
So I just obtained a W1000 out of sheer luck.
Love the treble and midrange. It's perfect to my ears. Sweet midrange and treble that extends very well without being overwhelming. There is a noticeable lack of air due to them being closed, but they still sound very natural thanks to the very well-done treble.
But bass was severely lacking. Well, "was". I've been able to rectify that with some... clever padding of materials in the back of the wood ear cups enclosure, and some rolls of tissue in the ear pads to puff them up for a better seal and also better comfort.
Wow... and now I must say, this is what the W1000X should have been. Simply a W1000 with more bass to balance out the bright treble and midrange section. The W1000 is able to produce some pretty convincing bass without bloat (because it doesn't quite respond that well in the sub-bass region). It's now my favorite general-purpose headphone that's good for pretty much... everything.
Will do a write-up on how to perform this mod whenever I have some more free time.post #81 of 8310/29/15 at 10:45pmThread Starter
Headphones go round and round... and the W1000 is still very, very special. Great pairing with iFi Nano, BTW.
I am listening to Yo-Yo Ma's Obrigado Brazil right not and it could not possibly be better. Cello and vocals are just unbeatable with these. They almost put you the lap... :-)post #82 of 8310/29/15 at 11:27pmpost #83 of 8310/29/15 at 11:52pm
I was able to try them out a few years ago when i was looking out for my first wooden can. when I went to the guy that owned them. He laid these three out for me to audition: the VTG, the AD2000 and this.
If I would sum up the overall experience (of these phones) in one word, it would be - Polite. Everything sounded plain, although detailed (more than the VTG, less than the AD2000), mainly on the lower frequencies. if I recall correctly, it sounded like a flatter A900 (which i had) with everything sounded more 'forward' if I am using the term correctly, although it may be because the A900 had recessed midrange.
I guess that's why I chose the VTG over these. I personally didn't hate them, but the VTGs 'sang' to me (in a 'female vocals are very close to you' kind of way.) adding to that, their age made them more desirable. plus points for them since I tend to go ampless, and they seem more forgiving to the source.
Now, if I had the chance to try these out again, i would be more likely to buy them.
- Audio Technica W1000 Thread
- Headphone Impedance
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC 2 minutes ago
- › RHA - T20 - Impressions, Reviews, and questions 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sony NW-WM1Z Owner and Impressions ! 4 minutes ago
- › Kicking off 2016 with a Toronto / GTA meet on Saturday January 30th 5 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 5 minutes ago
- › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 6 minutes ago
- › Toronto GTA Meet January 2017 with Cayin! 6 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 6 minutes ago
- › Effect Audio - Thor Silver II by sonickarma
- › Meze 12 Classics by OSiRiSsk
- › Roland Mobile UA UA-M10 USB Audio Interface by raoultrifan
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by NA Blur
- › 1MORE Capsule Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by mark2410
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by mark2410
- › HIFIMAN HE1000 V2 Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphone by MattTCG
- › Bluedio V (Victory) Pro Patented PPS12 Drivers Wireless Bluetooth... by mark2410
- › Edifier R2000DB Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Near-Field... by ryanjsoo
- › Yamaha MusicCast WX-010 Wireless Speaker (White) by mark2410
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear