Audio Technica W1000 is one of the more underrated phones from the Japanese manufacturer...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Music range: Modern Rock - Extreme Metal music headphones Last post on 10/7/11 at 3:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Replacement ear pads for AudioTechnica ATH-A900 headphones Last post on 9/17/11 at 8:04am in Headphones (full-size)
- W1000x V W1000/W5000 question Last post on 8/13/11 at 12:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What would be good upgrades for ESW9s? Last post on 6/18/11 at 9:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- songs that sound epic on ATH-W1000 Last post on 5/21/11 at 10:46am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Have you ever felt like the spark that used to be there just vanished? That the world, once bright and colorful became bland and dull over time? That you no longer feel the joy, the excitement and...
Work in progress. I need to practice my English a bit...
Heard these with Chord Hugo and boy oh boy was I unimpressed... These are not worth anywhere their price point where their sound is concerned. Decently comfortable though. (The sound signature...
I decided to write a short review after buying the second pair today. The first pair was damaged by a clumsy flight attendant and her heavy trolley... Although I was super happy with the E700M...
I thought about getting DFs as a present after passing driver's exams. Read those very few reviews online, which were generally a mixed back of helpfulness. Then I took the bullet and said, yes why...
Audio Technica W1000 Thread - Page 6
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 832/25/14 at 10:30pmThread Starterpost #78 of 832/28/14 at 9:45am
Nope, W5000 sounds unnatural in the mids, but does strings and piano quite well. Dunno how but that is how it is. Very coloured headphones, very polarising too even with the right amp driving it.post #79 of 832/28/14 at 9:37pmThread Starterpost #80 of 833/16/14 at 10:02pm
So I just obtained a W1000 out of sheer luck.
Love the treble and midrange. It's perfect to my ears. Sweet midrange and treble that extends very well without being overwhelming. There is a noticeable lack of air due to them being closed, but they still sound very natural thanks to the very well-done treble.
But bass was severely lacking. Well, "was". I've been able to rectify that with some... clever padding of materials in the back of the wood ear cups enclosure, and some rolls of tissue in the ear pads to puff them up for a better seal and also better comfort.
Wow... and now I must say, this is what the W1000X should have been. Simply a W1000 with more bass to balance out the bright treble and midrange section. The W1000 is able to produce some pretty convincing bass without bloat (because it doesn't quite respond that well in the sub-bass region). It's now my favorite general-purpose headphone that's good for pretty much... everything.
Will do a write-up on how to perform this mod whenever I have some more free time.post #81 of 8310/29/15 at 10:45pmThread Starter
Headphones go round and round... and the W1000 is still very, very special. Great pairing with iFi Nano, BTW.
I am listening to Yo-Yo Ma's Obrigado Brazil right not and it could not possibly be better. Cello and vocals are just unbeatable with these. They almost put you the lap... :-)post #82 of 8310/29/15 at 11:27pmpost #83 of 8310/29/15 at 11:52pm
I was able to try them out a few years ago when i was looking out for my first wooden can. when I went to the guy that owned them. He laid these three out for me to audition: the VTG, the AD2000 and this.
If I would sum up the overall experience (of these phones) in one word, it would be - Polite. Everything sounded plain, although detailed (more than the VTG, less than the AD2000), mainly on the lower frequencies. if I recall correctly, it sounded like a flatter A900 (which i had) with everything sounded more 'forward' if I am using the term correctly, although it may be because the A900 had recessed midrange.
I guess that's why I chose the VTG over these. I personally didn't hate them, but the VTGs 'sang' to me (in a 'female vocals are very close to you' kind of way.) adding to that, their age made them more desirable. plus points for them since I tend to go ampless, and they seem more forgiving to the source.
Now, if I had the chance to try these out again, i would be more likely to buy them.
- Audio Technica W1000 Thread
- Headphone Impedance
- › iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page... 10 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Techno, Electro & Underground Beats 2 minutes ago
- › Neurochrome HP-1: Ultra-High End Headphone Amp 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 3 minutes ago
- › CES 2017: MQA announces TIDAL Masters, and more 4 minutes ago
- › iTunes vs the world! (AAC quality?) 4 minutes ago
- › Sparkos Labs SS3602 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ by VintageFlanker
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by GirgleMirt
- › Onkyo E700M In-ear headphones Black with microphone by doraymon
- › K240 DF by asymcon
- › TWag V4 Litz ciem replacement cable by tex thai
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by Varun Shankar
- › Panasonic RP-HT460E-K by PETEBULL
- › SoundPEATS Wireless Earbuds, True Wireless Stereo Bluetooth 4.2... by B9Scrambler
- › Soundmagic E10BT by msturg29
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear