Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica W1000 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica W1000 Appreciation Thread - Page 2

post #16 of 80
Thread Starter 

+1 for the amazing vocals of the W1000.

 

I guess that's why I like them so much.  I mainly listen to acoustic and vocals (jazz, folk, bossa nova, MPB, and other Brazilian genres).  Other nice 'phones I tried sound cold in comparison.

 

[]s

Walfredo

post #17 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

As great as the Yamamoto seems from the reviews, the experience in those reviews seem to match mine with my Woo. I wonder if getting the Yamamoto would be actually worth it seeing as it is difficult to find and not cheap. TheMiddleSky or anyone with experience with the Yamamoto please chime in. =)

 

Since I have the W11JPN and the W1000, I would agree with the brightness in lower treble for both, but somehow, I would hate to lose it. Nothing has competed with these headphones so far in vocals from what I've heard, even after trying the likes of the T1 and the HD800. Don't get me wrong, the T1 and the HD800 are excellent headphones, but the vocals just do not have the intimacy of the Audio Technica woodies. I have yet to try the T1 or HD800 on tube amps, but I suspect amping them with tubes will roll the treble off too much and give too much warmth preventing the vocals from sounding crisp. It's the overly bright character of the W1000 that I found allowed it to synergize so naturally with tubes. Made vocals sound as detailed as if on sound state, but yet full and natural from the tubes.The open design may also drag the other headphones down when comparing intimacy. The closed design of the Audio Technica woodies is such a huge factor.

 

Right now though, I'm using my W11JPNs more often. Sometimes I find the W1000 too bright for my mood, or being a hassle needing to turn on my tube amp. I'm still very happy with both and I hope Audio Technica releases a new woodie next year. o2smile.gif



unfortunetly I never heard WA6, but some people said that WA6 with sophia produce less tubey sound compare to Yamamoto.

 

Anyway, my friend also told to me that WA6 will have good synergy to my PRM, hope some day I can test my friend's WA6 + Sophia.

 

post #18 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiddleSky View Post

only ever A/Bing W1000 with AD1000PRM (which is reported sound a bit similiar to AD2000), yeah they are different, but not really much, PRM is just like open back version of W1000, so it's more airy, better staging, the mid section is not as lush as W1000 (well W1000 for mainstream song can produce too much lush for me, but I know some people will love it), also I found that PRM has better balance at treble area, so I don't need tube amp to enjoying PRM. W1000 is awesome with tube amp, but sounds a bit "weird" especially at treble section when I tried with Linearossa K3 (SS desktop amp).

 

but when paired with Yamamoto, give it songs with strong vocal, I like W1000 more than PRM, so I just think that W1000 is more "specialist" to mid/vocal section.


the prm is bloody fast...biggrin.gif
post #19 of 80

ic... The Woo does sound a bit like solid state. I think I will ask Jack Woo what tubes will work for my amp for the sound I want and see how that goes.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiddleSky View Post


unfortunetly I never heard WA6, but some people said that WA6 with sophia produce less tubey sound compare to Yamamoto.

 

Anyway, my friend also told to me that WA6 will have good synergy to my PRM, hope some day I can test my friend's WA6 + Sophia.

 

post #20 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by winzzz View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiddleSky View Post

only ever A/Bing W1000 with AD1000PRM (which is reported sound a bit similiar to AD2000), yeah they are different, but not really much, PRM is just like open back version of W1000, so it's more airy, better staging, the mid section is not as lush as W1000 (well W1000 for mainstream song can produce too much lush for me, but I know some people will love it), also I found that PRM has better balance at treble area, so I don't need tube amp to enjoying PRM. W1000 is awesome with tube amp, but sounds a bit "weird" especially at treble section when I tried with Linearossa K3 (SS desktop amp).

 

but when paired with Yamamoto, give it songs with strong vocal, I like W1000 more than PRM, so I just think that W1000 is more "specialist" to mid/vocal section.




the prm is bloody fast...biggrin.gif


 

you should (must!) give some impresions at au-id I think, curious about what you think about it haha biggrin.gif

post #21 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

Since I have the W11JPN and the W1000, I would agree with the brightness in lower treble for both, but somehow, I would hate to lose it. Nothing has competed with these headphones so far in vocals from what I've heard, even after trying the likes of the T1 and the HD800. 



 

Agree. The forward upper-midrange/lower high frequency balance on the W1000 is quite addicting. Good luck with tuning your 6SE. 

 

 

P.S. In other news, looks like my HA-02 will be shipping early next week.

post #22 of 80

whoa whoa whoa whoa.... where did u order and how much did it cost?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmode View Post

P.S. In other news, looks like my HA-02 will be shipping early next week.

post #23 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

whoa whoa whoa whoa.... where did u order and how much did it cost?
 

 


 

I'm going to have to quote you on that, because its exactly the way I feel etysmile.gif. I ordered from Venus Hifi on Nov. 16. for $1200 (20% down), shipping and duty fees including. Its being shipped straight from Japan. 

post #24 of 80

Nice pigmode, I bet you will enjoy it so much :D

post #25 of 80

Wait, so it's 20% off the $1200 price? 6moons review list them as under $1000. Course, that was almost 5 years ago...

 

I'm going to add Venus Hifi for future reference. I hope I can get the sound I want from the Woo though.

Anyways, I hope you like them! Please post impressions. =)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmode View Post


I'm going to have to quote you on that, because its exactly the way I feel etysmile.gif. I ordered from Venus Hifi on Nov. 16. for $1200 (20% down), shipping and duty fees including. Its being shipped straight from Japan. 

post #26 of 80

Exactly, cold or boring in comparison. The genres you listen to are similar to mine's. This thread just makes me want to optimize my W1000s =)  Finding an actual replacement has been rather tough and haven't had promising results.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walfredo View Post

+1 for the amazing vocals of the W1000.

 

I guess that's why I like them so much.  I mainly listen to acoustic and vocals (jazz, folk, bossa nova, MPB, and other Brazilian genres).  Other nice 'phones I tried sound cold in comparison.

 

[]s

Walfredo

post #27 of 80
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmode View Post

 

Agree. The forward upper-midrange/lower high frequency balance on the W1000 is quite addicting. Good luck with tuning your 6SE. 

 

 

P.S. In other news, looks like my HA-02 will be shipping early next week.


Congrats, pigmode!!  Let us know how you like it.

 

[]s

Walfredo

post #28 of 80

Will do on posting impressions. Its a good feeling that things are finally coming together.

 

 

 

wind016,

$1200 total, with a 20% ($240) deposit. This is the new mark up that you might have read about in the Yamamoto thread.

post #29 of 80

I just switched my Sophia out to the stock tube. Somehow I'm liking this combination more right now. Soundstage has become a bit more upfront, but in exchange, the lower treble is less bright and the lower end has more impact. The highest highs are also better tamed, having sounded artificial with the Sophia.

 

However, this may have been the result of psychoacoustic changes since I just started listening to the W1000s, then stopped a few minutes to switch tubes. Anyways, it sounds beautiful. I also e-mailed Jack Woo. We'll see how that goes.


Edited by wind016 - 12/15/10 at 10:03pm
post #30 of 80

That's exactly the same effect the Mullard tubes have had on the W11R's sound. It sounds like you may have found a very pleasing combination.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica W1000 Appreciation Thread