I've just reshelled my Westone 4R @ Lime Ears (I've broken original shell). It was quite risky but I can say it was worth each penny. Seal is great and so is the bass :)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Poll: How do you wear yours? Last post on 10/15/13 at 8:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Limitations of IEMs, or are these just really bad? Last post on 3/22/14 at 2:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Preference over Westone's Universal IEMs Last post on 1/10/13 at 3:14pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for Mixing and Listening? Last post on 10/1/12 at 8:42pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
In side the box besides the headphones of course, is the 3.5m cable which allows you to plug them into wired with any source, then the USB charge cable, which is...
Introduction/Disclaimer: I would like to thank Denise with Mixcder for the opportunity to review the X5 in ear monitor headphones. They provided me a free sample in exchange for my honest...
First thing you think of when you see this is, can this really project sound in 360 degrees, When you look at it, you wouldn't think it could. But yes it does, Sound is projected from...
Acknowledgment Thank you Lear for providing this review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. This review may also be viewed on my blog, here. List Price: $65 at time of review plus...
Xiaomi have always been ahead of it's time in budget high quality earphones and smarthphone, their goal look like to make accessible for the mass products that was only accessible for wealthy...
Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread - Page 356
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5327 of 556611/2/14 at 2:01ampost #5328 of 556611/2/14 at 2:13ampost #5329 of 556611/2/14 at 11:32ampost #5330 of 556611/2/14 at 11:37am
Doesn't really mean much. Even labels that say "Made in the US" should be taken with a grain of salt. The item might be assembled in the US, but the parts will almost always be from China or some other outside source. You only need to assemble a product to be labeled as a country of origin. Everyone from Louis Vuitton to Westone does this. They outsource a majority of manufacturing and finish assembly in their home country.post #5331 of 556611/2/14 at 11:37amJust noticed this and wanted to follow-up with a question. The left channel on my W4's just went out in me. Sent them in to Westone and they diagnosed "ntermittent failure at the stress relief means, I.e. where the cable connects to the earbuds." They are 2 years out of warranty and Westone won't repair. Best they could offer was $250 for a new pair which I declined. Tell me about the recabling option through BTG or elsewhere, please!post #5332 of 556611/3/14 at 12:33ampost #5333 of 556611/9/14 at 9:07pmpost #5334 of 556611/9/14 at 11:59pmpost #5335 of 556611/10/14 at 3:21am
The w40 is worth considering, if you can't afford $250, ask them if they can charge less for the w30, both have removable cables with mic controls and sound better than the w4. You never know if one of the drivers will fail one you since you have had the w4 for at least 3-4 years.post #5336 of 556611/10/14 at 7:02ampost #5337 of 556611/10/14 at 7:55amQuote:
No haven't looked into reshelling but a great idea. Only hesitance is I had bad experience with custom molded sleeves through 1964 ears. The sleeves made my inner ears extremely itchy and uncomfortable so I was afraid the same would happen with custom shells. Thoughts?post #5338 of 556611/10/14 at 7:59amQuote:Originally Posted by milford30
The w40 is worth considering, if you can't afford $250, ask them if they can charge less for the w30, both have removable cables with mic controls and sound better than the w4. You never know if one of the drivers will fail one you since you have had the w4 for at least 3-4 years.
Also an interesting idea. I am concerned about how long the drivers will last in the W4 which I bought back in 2010 or 2011. In terms of value for price how do the w30 and w40 compare to sonic gr07be?post #5339 of 556611/10/14 at 9:41amQuote:
I havn't had the chance of demoing the gr07(be), there are people who swear by the w30 (better than the w60), read the last 2 pages of the thread below:
From my short (~10min each, not side by side but on the same day) demo of each, I can't say I disagree with them, i.e at a similar level.
For that price range and above I only have w4r and se846 with me, I would say the w60 is more laid back compared to se846, and much better than the w4r. Mainly no more veil/warm sound in the mids, and the non existent bass impact. Even the much cheaper ATH IM50 sounds better than the w4r to my ears, but they're very uncomfortable.
One thing I'm sure off is that the westone/shure thin nozzle iems are definitely more comfortable and isolate more for me than the large nozzle iems like ie8, gr07be and others.
Personally I never got used to my silicon customs, ichy and hurts after a few hours, I can't imagine the plastic housing will be better. All I can say is you have to be pretty lucky and get the perfect fit the first time, otherwise it's weeks-months of waiting and postage fees.
Edited by milford30 - 11/10/14 at 9:48amReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Benjie S5 Offical Thread 2 seconds ago
- › Tidal Masters & MQA Appreciation Thread! 43 seconds ago
- › Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread 1 minute ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-L3000 " The Legendary Leatherhead " 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 8 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 9 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 10 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM/SAGARIS SERIES - Newer Thread (JUST IMPRESSIONS... 11 minutes ago
- › 64 Audio | apex | tia 12 minutes ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. Available on... 14 minutes ago
- › Archeer AH07 Bluetooth Headphones Wireless Stereo Over Ear... by genclaymore
- › Wired Earphones, Mixcder X5 In-Ear Earbud Headphones Metal Housing... by slowpickr
- › ARCHEER Bluetooth Speakers Fabric Covering Portable Wireless... by genclaymore
- › LEAR BTC-01 by glassmonkey
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Pro HD by Nymphonomaniac
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Delance26
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Layman1
- › Fischer Audio Omega Spark by B9Scrambler
- › Meze 99 Neo by ryanjsoo
- › Beat Audio Signal by mrazik
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear