I've just reshelled my Westone 4R @ Lime Ears (I've broken original shell). It was quite risky but I can say it was worth each penny. Seal is great and so is the bass :)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Poll: How do you wear yours? Last post on 10/15/13 at 8:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Limitations of IEMs, or are these just really bad? Last post on 3/22/14 at 2:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Preference over Westone's Universal IEMs Last post on 1/10/13 at 3:14pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for Mixing and Listening? Last post on 10/1/12 at 8:42pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/1/14
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
The price to performance ratio of the HiFiMan HE-400 is truly exceptional. The clamping force of new head band is tight and requires break-in. I prefer the the plush pads over stock pads for...
They are a very good option. The sound is natural, they are comfortable to use. The only con I have with it is the included cable that is too long and bulky (if you want to listen them connected...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
I must admit, until recently, I was not aware of the Master and Dynamic brand. I had heard about them on the forums, but never really read anything about them. Their recent model MH40 is their...
For larger views of any photo - please click for access to 1200 x 800 images INTRODUCTION I’ve only recently heard about thinksound™ audio, and before Head-Fi user d marc0 contacted me, I’d...
Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread - Page 356
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5327 of 550211/2/14 at 2:01ampost #5328 of 550211/2/14 at 2:13ampost #5329 of 550211/2/14 at 11:32ampost #5330 of 550211/2/14 at 11:37am
Doesn't really mean much. Even labels that say "Made in the US" should be taken with a grain of salt. The item might be assembled in the US, but the parts will almost always be from China or some other outside source. You only need to assemble a product to be labeled as a country of origin. Everyone from Louis Vuitton to Westone does this. They outsource a majority of manufacturing and finish assembly in their home country.post #5331 of 550211/2/14 at 11:37amJust noticed this and wanted to follow-up with a question. The left channel on my W4's just went out in me. Sent them in to Westone and they diagnosed "ntermittent failure at the stress relief means, I.e. where the cable connects to the earbuds." They are 2 years out of warranty and Westone won't repair. Best they could offer was $250 for a new pair which I declined. Tell me about the recabling option through BTG or elsewhere, please!post #5332 of 550211/3/14 at 12:33ampost #5333 of 550211/9/14 at 9:07pmpost #5334 of 550211/9/14 at 11:59pmpost #5335 of 550211/10/14 at 3:21am
The w40 is worth considering, if you can't afford $250, ask them if they can charge less for the w30, both have removable cables with mic controls and sound better than the w4. You never know if one of the drivers will fail one you since you have had the w4 for at least 3-4 years.post #5336 of 550211/10/14 at 7:02ampost #5337 of 550211/10/14 at 7:55amQuote:
No haven't looked into reshelling but a great idea. Only hesitance is I had bad experience with custom molded sleeves through 1964 ears. The sleeves made my inner ears extremely itchy and uncomfortable so I was afraid the same would happen with custom shells. Thoughts?post #5338 of 550211/10/14 at 7:59amQuote:Originally Posted by milford30
The w40 is worth considering, if you can't afford $250, ask them if they can charge less for the w30, both have removable cables with mic controls and sound better than the w4. You never know if one of the drivers will fail one you since you have had the w4 for at least 3-4 years.
Also an interesting idea. I am concerned about how long the drivers will last in the W4 which I bought back in 2010 or 2011. In terms of value for price how do the w30 and w40 compare to sonic gr07be?post #5339 of 550211/10/14 at 9:41amQuote:
I havn't had the chance of demoing the gr07(be), there are people who swear by the w30 (better than the w60), read the last 2 pages of the thread below:
From my short (~10min each, not side by side but on the same day) demo of each, I can't say I disagree with them, i.e at a similar level.
For that price range and above I only have w4r and se846 with me, I would say the w60 is more laid back compared to se846, and much better than the w4r. Mainly no more veil/warm sound in the mids, and the non existent bass impact. Even the much cheaper ATH IM50 sounds better than the w4r to my ears, but they're very uncomfortable.
One thing I'm sure off is that the westone/shure thin nozzle iems are definitely more comfortable and isolate more for me than the large nozzle iems like ie8, gr07be and others.
Personally I never got used to my silicon customs, ichy and hurts after a few hours, I can't imagine the plastic housing will be better. All I can say is you have to be pretty lucky and get the perfect fit the first time, otherwise it's weeks-months of waiting and postage fees.
Edited by milford30 - 11/10/14 at 9:48amReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Band Name Game II 16 seconds ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 21 seconds ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-500 = Waste of Money (and general discussion) 54 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King 4 minutes ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 4 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 7 minutes ago
- › 2015 vsonic iem lineup VSD2, VSD7, VSD9 7 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Stereocilia
- › Sennheiser HD 518 by Tiby
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by lin0003
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Gia Bao
- › Pro-Ject Audio DAC Box E Entry Level DAC Black by LugBug1
- › Final Audio Design Heaven Viii by newzild
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by hodgjy
- › Shanling M3 Portable Digital Audio Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2