I've just reshelled my Westone 4R @ Lime Ears (I've broken original shell). It was quite risky but I can say it was worth each penny. Seal is great and so is the bass :)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Poll: How do you wear yours? Last post on 10/15/13 at 8:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Limitations of IEMs, or are these just really bad? Last post on 3/22/14 at 2:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Preference over Westone's Universal IEMs Last post on 1/10/13 at 3:14pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for Mixing and Listening? Last post on 10/1/12 at 8:42pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/1/14
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Thanks to Luke (H20Fidelity) for letting me a part of the Australian leg of the COZOY DAC/Amp tour and for Igor (DJScope) for the personal delivery, no doubt due to him enjoying the unit so much...
This review is for the Linum Bax 2-Pin, Bax IEM and headphone cables. Let me introduce myself my name is Adam, I live in the states between Philadelphia and New York City. I have been into audio...
Havi B3 Pro 1 - Pictorial Review Let me start by saying that ......the purchase of B3Pro1 has been long time coming ever since introduced by bhazard in the Chinese thread early last year...
I have posted a more detailed review on my blog with hi resolution pictures. http://blog.hyperexpert.com/audio-technica-at-pha50bt-first-impressions-and-review/ I stumbled upon Audio Technica’s...
My impressions is that these don’t sound significantly different than the cheaper SP version in terms of sound signature. The biggest difference is detail, more extended highs and smoother mid. If...
Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread - Page 356
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5327 of 550311/2/14 at 2:01ampost #5328 of 550311/2/14 at 2:13ampost #5329 of 550311/2/14 at 11:32ampost #5330 of 550311/2/14 at 11:37am
Doesn't really mean much. Even labels that say "Made in the US" should be taken with a grain of salt. The item might be assembled in the US, but the parts will almost always be from China or some other outside source. You only need to assemble a product to be labeled as a country of origin. Everyone from Louis Vuitton to Westone does this. They outsource a majority of manufacturing and finish assembly in their home country.post #5331 of 550311/2/14 at 11:37amJust noticed this and wanted to follow-up with a question. The left channel on my W4's just went out in me. Sent them in to Westone and they diagnosed "ntermittent failure at the stress relief means, I.e. where the cable connects to the earbuds." They are 2 years out of warranty and Westone won't repair. Best they could offer was $250 for a new pair which I declined. Tell me about the recabling option through BTG or elsewhere, please!post #5332 of 550311/3/14 at 12:33ampost #5333 of 550311/9/14 at 9:07pmpost #5334 of 550311/9/14 at 11:59pmpost #5335 of 550311/10/14 at 3:21am
The w40 is worth considering, if you can't afford $250, ask them if they can charge less for the w30, both have removable cables with mic controls and sound better than the w4. You never know if one of the drivers will fail one you since you have had the w4 for at least 3-4 years.post #5336 of 550311/10/14 at 7:02ampost #5337 of 550311/10/14 at 7:55amQuote:
No haven't looked into reshelling but a great idea. Only hesitance is I had bad experience with custom molded sleeves through 1964 ears. The sleeves made my inner ears extremely itchy and uncomfortable so I was afraid the same would happen with custom shells. Thoughts?post #5338 of 550311/10/14 at 7:59amQuote:Originally Posted by milford30
The w40 is worth considering, if you can't afford $250, ask them if they can charge less for the w30, both have removable cables with mic controls and sound better than the w4. You never know if one of the drivers will fail one you since you have had the w4 for at least 3-4 years.
Also an interesting idea. I am concerned about how long the drivers will last in the W4 which I bought back in 2010 or 2011. In terms of value for price how do the w30 and w40 compare to sonic gr07be?post #5339 of 550311/10/14 at 9:41amQuote:
I havn't had the chance of demoing the gr07(be), there are people who swear by the w30 (better than the w60), read the last 2 pages of the thread below:
From my short (~10min each, not side by side but on the same day) demo of each, I can't say I disagree with them, i.e at a similar level.
For that price range and above I only have w4r and se846 with me, I would say the w60 is more laid back compared to se846, and much better than the w4r. Mainly no more veil/warm sound in the mids, and the non existent bass impact. Even the much cheaper ATH IM50 sounds better than the w4r to my ears, but they're very uncomfortable.
One thing I'm sure off is that the westone/shure thin nozzle iems are definitely more comfortable and isolate more for me than the large nozzle iems like ie8, gr07be and others.
Personally I never got used to my silicon customs, ichy and hurts after a few hours, I can't imagine the plastic housing will be better. All I can say is you have to be pretty lucky and get the perfect fit the first time, otherwise it's weeks-months of waiting and postage fees.
Edited by milford30 - 11/10/14 at 9:48amReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3 4 minutes ago
- › UpTone Audio USB REGEN 7 minutes ago
- › New Shure SE215 - First Impressions 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Obscure Chinese DAPs 8 minutes ago
- › Orthodynamic Roundup 8 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 9 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 9 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Grado Extension 11 minutes ago
- › Cozoy Astrapi by Xtralglactic
- › Linum 2Pin Detachable Connector - BaX Dual Twist Model by acain
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by Wokei
- › Audio Technica AT-PHA50BT by unknownsolo
- › Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone by kite7
- › Sennheiser IE80 by ahnvx
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by ExCelciuS
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by vaziyetu
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by xsk3l3t0rx
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM02 balanced amature inner earphone by ahnvx
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2