I've just reshelled my Westone 4R @ Lime Ears (I've broken original shell). It was quite risky but I can say it was worth each penny. Seal is great and so is the bass :)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Poll: How do you wear yours? Last post on 10/15/13 at 8:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Limitations of IEMs, or are these just really bad? Last post on 3/22/14 at 2:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Preference over Westone's Universal IEMs Last post on 1/10/13 at 3:14pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for Mixing and Listening? Last post on 10/1/12 at 8:42pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 6/26/15
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
The joys of reviewing a favorite product have eluded yours truly, until the T20 from RHA (Reid & Heath Acoustics) came along, supplied for review by my good friends at Headphone Zone...
A few years back, my family and I underwent a rather large home renovation (including not having a kitchen for 10 weeks; suffice it to say I was sick of take-out food after the summer of 2014). As...
INTRO I purchased these made in China headphones on a whim out of curiosity as the design looked really cool and to see what Audioquest might be thinking with their first foray in to...
The Soundmagic E80 was purchased by me from Penon Audio. I’m not in any way affiliated with Penon Audio or Soundmagic. The price was $69 when I bought them and this is where I ordered them...
(note: pictures included are not mine, I grabbed them from the net to make the article easier to read) I've had these for well over a year and used them at least 5 days-a-week during that...
Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread - Page 356
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5327 of 552111/2/14 at 2:01ampost #5328 of 552111/2/14 at 2:13ampost #5329 of 552111/2/14 at 11:32ampost #5330 of 552111/2/14 at 11:37am
Doesn't really mean much. Even labels that say "Made in the US" should be taken with a grain of salt. The item might be assembled in the US, but the parts will almost always be from China or some other outside source. You only need to assemble a product to be labeled as a country of origin. Everyone from Louis Vuitton to Westone does this. They outsource a majority of manufacturing and finish assembly in their home country.post #5331 of 552111/2/14 at 11:37amJust noticed this and wanted to follow-up with a question. The left channel on my W4's just went out in me. Sent them in to Westone and they diagnosed "ntermittent failure at the stress relief means, I.e. where the cable connects to the earbuds." They are 2 years out of warranty and Westone won't repair. Best they could offer was $250 for a new pair which I declined. Tell me about the recabling option through BTG or elsewhere, please!post #5332 of 552111/3/14 at 12:33ampost #5333 of 552111/9/14 at 9:07pmpost #5334 of 552111/9/14 at 11:59pmpost #5335 of 552111/10/14 at 3:21am
The w40 is worth considering, if you can't afford $250, ask them if they can charge less for the w30, both have removable cables with mic controls and sound better than the w4. You never know if one of the drivers will fail one you since you have had the w4 for at least 3-4 years.post #5336 of 552111/10/14 at 7:02ampost #5337 of 552111/10/14 at 7:55amQuote:
No haven't looked into reshelling but a great idea. Only hesitance is I had bad experience with custom molded sleeves through 1964 ears. The sleeves made my inner ears extremely itchy and uncomfortable so I was afraid the same would happen with custom shells. Thoughts?post #5338 of 552111/10/14 at 7:59amQuote:Originally Posted by milford30
The w40 is worth considering, if you can't afford $250, ask them if they can charge less for the w30, both have removable cables with mic controls and sound better than the w4. You never know if one of the drivers will fail one you since you have had the w4 for at least 3-4 years.
Also an interesting idea. I am concerned about how long the drivers will last in the W4 which I bought back in 2010 or 2011. In terms of value for price how do the w30 and w40 compare to sonic gr07be?post #5339 of 552111/10/14 at 9:41amQuote:
I havn't had the chance of demoing the gr07(be), there are people who swear by the w30 (better than the w60), read the last 2 pages of the thread below:
From my short (~10min each, not side by side but on the same day) demo of each, I can't say I disagree with them, i.e at a similar level.
For that price range and above I only have w4r and se846 with me, I would say the w60 is more laid back compared to se846, and much better than the w4r. Mainly no more veil/warm sound in the mids, and the non existent bass impact. Even the much cheaper ATH IM50 sounds better than the w4r to my ears, but they're very uncomfortable.
One thing I'm sure off is that the westone/shure thin nozzle iems are definitely more comfortable and isolate more for me than the large nozzle iems like ie8, gr07be and others.
Personally I never got used to my silicon customs, ichy and hurts after a few hours, I can't imagine the plastic housing will be better. All I can say is you have to be pretty lucky and get the perfect fit the first time, otherwise it's weeks-months of waiting and postage fees.
Edited by milford30 - 11/10/14 at 9:48amReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Viva Egoista 845 SET Tube amplifier 10K Headphone Masterpiece 17 seconds ago
- › sony mdr 1a- should i use for working out? 22 seconds ago
- › Headphones and Earbuds 33 seconds ago
- › 1964 Ears 43 seconds ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 1 minute ago
- › "The Lab" 2 minutes ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 2 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Fan Club 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Gungnir DAC 4 minutes ago
- › beyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphones by Meirelles
- › RHA T20 by ShreyasMax
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 by MacedonianHero
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by Mediahound
- › Soundmagic E80 in-ear monitor headphone by peter123
- › Sennheiser HD8 DJ On Ear Headphones by LAmitchell
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ade_hall
- › VE Zen by Hisoundfi
- › Lumia 640 LTE RM-1072 Black - Factory Unlocked - International... by Mink
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by whitemass
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3