anyone using the extra volume control add-on that comes with w4r? Does it changes the sound in any way or its clean?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Poll: How do you wear yours? Last post on 10/15/13 at 8:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Limitations of IEMs, or are these just really bad? Last post on 3/22/14 at 2:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Preference over Westone's Universal IEMs Last post on 1/10/13 at 3:14pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for Mixing and Listening? Last post on 10/1/12 at 8:42pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 6/26/15
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
At the time of the review, the Audioquest Nighthawk headphone was on sale at TTJV Audio’s website. Here is a link to Todd’s listing of the...
REVIEW FOR THE APOGEE GROOVE ABOUT ME Let me introduce myself my name is Adam I am a 38 years old, I have been into audio equipment since I was in highschool. I don’t consider myself an...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I’ve been lucky on my Head-Fi journey to meet and converse with some wonderful people who...
I tried these from a shop, they did look very nice when first spotted. I wanted some nice speakers to use with my laptop, and that could be transported if I was going away for some time. The...
A company whose products give me endless enjoyment, they fulfill every need I personally look for in audio...
Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread - Page 344post #5146 of 55211/9/14 at 2:18pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5147 of 55211/10/14 at 1:22amQuote:
i think you are refer to this 'In-line Volume Attenuator' ...?post #5148 of 55211/10/14 at 1:47am
do it affect the quality of the sound? (apart for the volume)
It probably varies the Ohms to lower the sound?post #5149 of 55211/10/14 at 5:06amQuote:
if it lowers the sound by increasing the ohmage, then it probably helps with the high.. but honestly ive never used mine.. i think it is just for smaller volume incriments for say if you are using a ipod or something along those lines.post #5150 of 55211/10/14 at 10:44pm
I use mine all the time. My Phone is just too damn loud for everything, so I use this to attenuate the sound.
I've also used this with my iPod to allow me more immediate access to volume control.
I've never noticed any sound quality difference. Not that there isn't any... I just haven't noticed it.post #5151 of 55211/22/14 at 1:05amI just got my 4r's from Amazon today, and am loving them so far. I just have one question. Is it normal to hear some static on vocals when they're brand new?
I started out with some mp3s on my phone, and chalked the static up to 128k mp3s. I tried them on my computer when I got home with flac files, both 16 and 24 bit, and was still getting it. Aside from the static, they sound great. My phone is an HTC evo 4g lte, and my computer has an Asus essence stx and a schiit bifrost feeding a bottlehead crack. They were meant to drive my sennheiser hd650s, and I know their output impedance is pretty high for 4r's. So could that have an effect on the sound too?post #5152 of 55211/22/14 at 3:16amQuote:Originally Posted by meeklo062704
I just got my 4r's from Amazon today, and am loving them so far. I just have one question. Is it normal to hear some static on vocals when they're brand new?
I started out with some mp3s on my phone, and chalked the static up to 128k mp3s. I tried them on my computer when I got home with flac files, both 16 and 24 bit, and was still getting it. Aside from the static, they sound great. My phone is an HTC evo 4g lte, and my computer has an Asus essence stx and a schiit bifrost feeding a bottlehead crack. They were meant to drive my sennheiser hd650s, and I know their output impedance is pretty high for 4r's. So could that have an effect on the sound too?
This is not right!post #5153 of 55211/22/14 at 4:55amYes, I'd say even those who defend there is "burn-in" would not agree with this. Are you plugging them directly to your phone? No other headphone has this static when plugged to your phone? If this is the case, you may have a defective unit.post #5154 of 55211/22/14 at 7:08amPlugged directly into my phone, and with the adapter to both soundcard and amp. I was praying it wasn't defective. The only worse than waiting for package arrival is waiting for it a second time. Damn you cruel fate!
Which would be better/quicker? Going through westone directly, or going back through amazon?post #5155 of 55211/22/14 at 8:45ampost #5156 of 55211/22/14 at 12:02pmAmazon has shipped me eplacements right away, while Westone waits until they get the bad unit back and test it. You must return the defective item to Amazon within so many days or they will charge you for the second one.post #5157 of 55211/23/14 at 12:24pm
I'm going to keep checking on them. The static came through on my HD650s to on the same songs, so I want to be sure before I start putting in return requests.
As a side thought, has anyone reshelled their 4r's recently? I really like the idea of it, but I have heard from different people that the sound signature changes after the reshell. None of the ones I heard about weren't Westones, so I jsut want to get some opinions before I start looking into it.post #5158 of 55211/24/14 at 1:11amOK, so if the static exists with other HP your problem is somewhere else. Maybe the files weren't ripped and compressed correctly. Maybe it is phone interference. Maybe the headphone jack is defective.post #5159 of 55211/24/14 at 7:55ampost #5160 of 55211/25/14 at 2:08amQuote:
Pretty sure it was a couple of bad rips. I've been comparing different songs played from different sources and amps, and comparing the 4r to the HD650. Aside from the sound stage and signature differences, it is coming out the same so far.
I just picked mine up from Amazon for $380.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 6 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 7 seconds ago
- › Four Choices for Closed Over-Ears Under $300 8 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 32 seconds ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 39 seconds ago
- › Perfect Seal CIEM Demo Tour - TENTATIVE 39 seconds ago
- › The Stax Thread III 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Some questions about settings (sample rate, latency, etc.) for an... 3 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 5 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Apogee GROOVE Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier for Mac and PC by acain
- › Noble Audio Savant by Brooko
- › Bose® Computer MusicMonitor® -- Silver by labrat
- › Harman Kardon AE1 In Ear Headphones by Army-Firedawg
- › RHA T20 by dweaver
- › Bluetooth receiver dual amplifier class1 NFC (black) [Japan Import] by peter123
- › FiiO E12 Mont Blanc by Mediahound
- › CEntrance HiFi-M8 by Mediahound
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by Mediahound
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3