anyone using the extra volume control add-on that comes with w4r? Does it changes the sound in any way or its clean?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Poll: How do you wear yours? Last post on 10/15/13 at 8:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Limitations of IEMs, or are these just really bad? Last post on 3/22/14 at 2:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Preference over Westone's Universal IEMs Last post on 1/10/13 at 3:14pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for Mixing and Listening? Last post on 10/1/12 at 8:42pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
I bought these over a year ago as an upgrade to the generation 3 of the Piston earphones. I've been a user since generation 2 and I've loved the line up ever since. This simply feels like another...
I took the scenic route to loving these headphones and almost sold it a couple of times. I picked these up for free thanks to a promotion my carrier Freedom mobile was doing where if you buy the LG...
About Me: I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair...
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
These are just plain excellent. I was never really a believer in IEMs, but I am now. These Philips SHE3590s are a real eye-opener. According to the ratings here on Head-Fi, these do, in fact,...
Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread - Page 344post #5146 of 55501/9/14 at 2:18pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5147 of 55501/10/14 at 1:22amQuote:
i think you are refer to this 'In-line Volume Attenuator' ...?post #5148 of 55501/10/14 at 1:47am
do it affect the quality of the sound? (apart for the volume)
It probably varies the Ohms to lower the sound?post #5149 of 55501/10/14 at 5:06amQuote:
if it lowers the sound by increasing the ohmage, then it probably helps with the high.. but honestly ive never used mine.. i think it is just for smaller volume incriments for say if you are using a ipod or something along those lines.post #5150 of 55501/10/14 at 10:44pm
I use mine all the time. My Phone is just too damn loud for everything, so I use this to attenuate the sound.
I've also used this with my iPod to allow me more immediate access to volume control.
I've never noticed any sound quality difference. Not that there isn't any... I just haven't noticed it.post #5151 of 55501/22/14 at 1:05amI just got my 4r's from Amazon today, and am loving them so far. I just have one question. Is it normal to hear some static on vocals when they're brand new?
I started out with some mp3s on my phone, and chalked the static up to 128k mp3s. I tried them on my computer when I got home with flac files, both 16 and 24 bit, and was still getting it. Aside from the static, they sound great. My phone is an HTC evo 4g lte, and my computer has an Asus essence stx and a schiit bifrost feeding a bottlehead crack. They were meant to drive my sennheiser hd650s, and I know their output impedance is pretty high for 4r's. So could that have an effect on the sound too?post #5152 of 55501/22/14 at 3:16amQuote:Originally Posted by meeklo062704
I just got my 4r's from Amazon today, and am loving them so far. I just have one question. Is it normal to hear some static on vocals when they're brand new?
I started out with some mp3s on my phone, and chalked the static up to 128k mp3s. I tried them on my computer when I got home with flac files, both 16 and 24 bit, and was still getting it. Aside from the static, they sound great. My phone is an HTC evo 4g lte, and my computer has an Asus essence stx and a schiit bifrost feeding a bottlehead crack. They were meant to drive my sennheiser hd650s, and I know their output impedance is pretty high for 4r's. So could that have an effect on the sound too?
This is not right!post #5153 of 55501/22/14 at 4:55amYes, I'd say even those who defend there is "burn-in" would not agree with this. Are you plugging them directly to your phone? No other headphone has this static when plugged to your phone? If this is the case, you may have a defective unit.post #5154 of 55501/22/14 at 7:08amPlugged directly into my phone, and with the adapter to both soundcard and amp. I was praying it wasn't defective. The only worse than waiting for package arrival is waiting for it a second time. Damn you cruel fate!
Which would be better/quicker? Going through westone directly, or going back through amazon?post #5155 of 55501/22/14 at 8:45ampost #5156 of 55501/22/14 at 12:02pmAmazon has shipped me eplacements right away, while Westone waits until they get the bad unit back and test it. You must return the defective item to Amazon within so many days or they will charge you for the second one.post #5157 of 55501/23/14 at 12:24pm
I'm going to keep checking on them. The static came through on my HD650s to on the same songs, so I want to be sure before I start putting in return requests.
As a side thought, has anyone reshelled their 4r's recently? I really like the idea of it, but I have heard from different people that the sound signature changes after the reshell. None of the ones I heard about weren't Westones, so I jsut want to get some opinions before I start looking into it.post #5158 of 55501/24/14 at 1:11amOK, so if the static exists with other HP your problem is somewhere else. Maybe the files weren't ripped and compressed correctly. Maybe it is phone interference. Maybe the headphone jack is defective.post #5159 of 55501/24/14 at 7:55ampost #5160 of 55501/25/14 at 2:08amQuote:
Pretty sure it was a couple of bad rips. I've been comparing different songs played from different sources and amps, and comparing the 4r to the HD650. Aside from the sound stage and signature differences, it is coming out the same so far.
I just picked mine up from Amazon for $380.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Metrum Acoustics Menuet DAC 2 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1000X 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 2 minutes ago
- › Empire Ears ADEL - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 4 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Audeze SINE Series 5 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★FAQ in 3rd post!★☆ 8 minutes ago
- › Reply to get FiiO's New In-Ear Monitors F1 for Free 11 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 13 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by Takeanidea
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear