- 444 Posts. Joined 11/2011
- Location: Gold Coast, Australia
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Poll: How do you wear yours? Last post on 10/15/13 at 8:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Limitations of IEMs, or are these just really bad? Last post on 3/22/14 at 2:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Preference over Westone's Universal IEMs Last post on 1/10/13 at 3:14pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for Mixing and Listening? Last post on 10/1/12 at 8:42pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
I had K3003i with a custom cable. I bough it used and the cable had been replaced and the seller assured not sound different to original I loved it. I used it with Fiio X3 2nd Gen. I liked the...
Compared to nothing (in the way of noise cancelling) these are better than that. Damning with faint praise? Yeah, I guess so, but really what can you expect for the price. Sony makes a product...
There seems to be a lot of issues with the sound quality for these 2nd gen Bose phones. These came out before wireless headphones were in any significant use, and when few other companies were...
*This is a slightly revised and updated version of my original review from September of 2014. The Bass Colour was a good earphone two years ago and at it's current price of 29.99 USD on Penon Audio...
I bought these over a year ago as an upgrade to the generation 3 of the Piston earphones. I've been a user since generation 2 and I've loved the line up ever since. This simply feels like another...
Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread - Page 205post #3061 of 55508/21/12 at 8:56pmPlease explain?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3062 of 55508/21/12 at 10:21pm
Well, Black Friday sales tend to go to 25% off. Normal sales like right now are only 15%. It may not seem a lot, but 10% is a big chunk off a $500 IEM. Actually, it's only $50 difference. I dun count gud. I'm starting to get antsy..might just get them now.
Edited by Unfie - 8/21/12 at 10:27pmpost #3063 of 55508/22/12 at 12:25ampost #3064 of 55508/22/12 at 3:07amQuote:
$50 is still a lot yo ;), you can get a FiiO E5 or 6 with that cash.post #3065 of 55508/22/12 at 5:33amDecided to give the W4Rs a go. Putting the $50 saving off one of Amazon's retailers towards a Fiio E17 (already have a E6). Couldn't wait for Black Friday either. Doubt Amazon would send them to Aus... Something's they won't export and W4s have been one of them, but I'm visiting my daughter in NY next weekend so getting them sent to her.
Might still get a backup set of TF10s. I did so like them. And then sell the set that gets the least use when I've A/B/Ced the three of them.
Cheerspost #3066 of 55508/22/12 at 5:55ampost #3067 of 55508/22/12 at 5:57amCan't comment on the Shure but I recently bought, then returned, the TF10’s and am now listening to the W4R's. Coming from Etymotic the TF10 low end was welcome but I found the mids too recessed and highs too shrill. Very scooped. Vocals too far back in the mix. I'm enjoying the Westone's so far and find a better balance across the board. Still not as mid forward as the Ety's but better than the TF10’s. much nicer treble than the TF's to my ears. Took some experimenting with the tips, though. The tri-flanges we're pretty bad but the large gray buttons are nice as are the white "bullets". Next step I think will be UM56 custom tips.
Ultimately depends on what and you're looking for.Quote:Originally Posted by Jpfe8851
I'm looking for advice from W4 owners who have or had Shure SE535s and or TF10s. I currently have 535s and had TF10s which I lost. They had an ES cable transplant which made them much more user friendly and maybe a slightly less v shape sound. Anyway, I want to replace the lost TF10s and can't decide whether to straight out replace them like for like or purchase W4Rs. At this price point I will much prefer replaceable cables. I have a few lower end IEMs like Ety HF3 and Yamaha EPH-100. I have large canals and I could only get a good seal with large Shure olives on the HF3 but they are just tad too big and I can't wear them for long. The EPHs are surprisingly good but don't isolate too well and lack enough treble without EQ to my taste. Neither of these are good enough to satisfy my listening.
So help me folks. Is the W4 a big step up from the SE535? Personally, I find the 535s comfortable and with a SQ that suits my music preferences which cover classic bands like Dire Straits & Pink Floyd, singers like Phil Collins, Van Morrison, Clapton and Cohen, through to smooth Jazz and classical music. Although I preferred the SQ of the 535s, I could use the TF10s with comply tips and could wear them for hours. I had a very good seal with them. Ironically the Shures don't seal at all with complys so I have to use olives. And because the olives are just that tad large, I want another IEM not too different to the 535s and it seems whatever I choose should be better than what I have now. And from all the reviews and comments, the W4s might be the way to go.
What should I buy?post #3068 of 55508/22/12 at 6:07am
I use the W4 amped and unamped without noticing much/any of a difference. My portable player is the Sansa Clip+. If I were you I wouldn't add an amp to a portable setup using the W4's. They're easy to drive and designed to work well with portable players like the iPhone.post #3069 of 55508/22/12 at 6:13amQuote:
Thanks for the suggestion, I was considering between using Fiio E1 for portability with my iPhone 4S or not using it at all.
because previously I was tempted to buy Fiio E6 or E7 but it such a hassle to bring it everywhere I go commute.post #3070 of 55508/22/12 at 8:22amQuote:
No, the iPhone 4S will do it's job well for it. But buying an amp can increase the sound quality, depending on the amp you buy.post #3071 of 55508/22/12 at 8:43amQuote:
Do portable amps have bass and treble adjustments?
I've been looking and have seen overall gain and
of course volumne.post #3072 of 55508/22/12 at 9:57ampost #3073 of 55508/22/12 at 10:57amQuote:
I wouldn't waste your time with an amp for that setup, especially if you're commuting a lot and worried about your rig being a hassle. The W4 is a great IEM and I'm more than happy with just my Clip+.post #3074 of 55508/22/12 at 11:03amQuote:
Some do. The FiiO E11 has bass boost settings. I believe the Arrow 4G has bass and treble boost settings. The bass boost in the E11 is there, but doesn't get as huge as something like the DigiZoid ZO.post #3075 of 55508/22/12 at 6:19pm
try the 4s with the new retina mbp. You'll notice how strong the bass actually is ! and good sound stage as well. Sound's much bigger than on a IPC and even IPC+SOLO+Continental/SR71... though detail wise the combo sounds more revealing.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 2 seconds ago
- › Is this a hot deal? 1 minute ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 3 minutes ago
- › Aftermarket Audeze LCD-2 cables 4 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 4 minutes ago
- › Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing) 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 5 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi In-Ear Headphones Pro HD (2 +1 Hybrid) 6 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1000X 7 minutes ago
- › The RMAA (RightMark Audio Analyzer) Source and Audio Device... 7 minutes ago
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by dalesky
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear