I've just reshelled my Westone 4R @ Lime Ears (I've broken original shell). It was quite risky but I can say it was worth each penny. Seal is great and so is the bass :)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Poll: How do you wear yours? Last post on 10/15/13 at 8:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Limitations of IEMs, or are these just really bad? Last post on 3/22/14 at 2:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Preference over Westone's Universal IEMs Last post on 1/10/13 at 3:14pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for Mixing and Listening? Last post on 10/1/12 at 8:42pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/1/14
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
My setup: iBasso DX50 --> Dunu DN-1000 Packaging Yes the accessories in the box are plenty. But the cloth material used for inner box and metal case is poor. The black dust from the cloth...
It is really surprising to find this high quality CD performance in analog and digital format. When I connected it to Burson Audio Conductor, all the ignored CD library came back to life. This...
Got this earphones for the sole purpose of working out/biking. Tested out multiple sports headsets (similarly priced), from sennheiser and bose. They tend to sound better, especially than the...
Overall a great little card. Dolby headphone is amazing I preferred this card to my Sound Blaster Z, I sold that card when I needed a bit of money and bought this one to replace it for cheap and I...
I was in the market for a higher end 2.1 system when my search ended up at the Edifier website, I was impressed with the specs and decided to delve further, found a set at a nice price and pulled...
Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?) - Page 356
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5327 of 541111/2/14 at 2:01ampost #5328 of 541111/2/14 at 2:13ampost #5329 of 541111/2/14 at 11:32ampost #5330 of 541111/2/14 at 11:37am
Doesn't really mean much. Even labels that say "Made in the US" should be taken with a grain of salt. The item might be assembled in the US, but the parts will almost always be from China or some other outside source. You only need to assemble a product to be labeled as a country of origin. Everyone from Louis Vuitton to Westone does this. They outsource a majority of manufacturing and finish assembly in their home country.post #5331 of 541111/2/14 at 11:37amJust noticed this and wanted to follow-up with a question. The left channel on my W4's just went out in me. Sent them in to Westone and they diagnosed "ntermittent failure at the stress relief means, I.e. where the cable connects to the earbuds." They are 2 years out of warranty and Westone won't repair. Best they could offer was $250 for a new pair which I declined. Tell me about the recabling option through BTG or elsewhere, please!post #5332 of 541111/3/14 at 12:33ampost #5333 of 541111/9/14 at 9:07pmpost #5334 of 541111/9/14 at 11:59pmpost #5335 of 541111/10/14 at 3:21am
The w40 is worth considering, if you can't afford $250, ask them if they can charge less for the w30, both have removable cables with mic controls and sound better than the w4. You never know if one of the drivers will fail one you since you have had the w4 for at least 3-4 years.post #5336 of 541111/10/14 at 7:02ampost #5337 of 541111/10/14 at 7:55amQuote:
No haven't looked into reshelling but a great idea. Only hesitance is I had bad experience with custom molded sleeves through 1964 ears. The sleeves made my inner ears extremely itchy and uncomfortable so I was afraid the same would happen with custom shells. Thoughts?post #5338 of 541111/10/14 at 7:59amQuote:Originally Posted by milford30
The w40 is worth considering, if you can't afford $250, ask them if they can charge less for the w30, both have removable cables with mic controls and sound better than the w4. You never know if one of the drivers will fail one you since you have had the w4 for at least 3-4 years.
Also an interesting idea. I am concerned about how long the drivers will last in the W4 which I bought back in 2010 or 2011. In terms of value for price how do the w30 and w40 compare to sonic gr07be?post #5339 of 541111/10/14 at 9:41amQuote:
I havn't had the chance of demoing the gr07(be), there are people who swear by the w30 (better than the w60), read the last 2 pages of the thread below:
From my short (~10min each, not side by side but on the same day) demo of each, I can't say I disagree with them, i.e at a similar level.
For that price range and above I only have w4r and se846 with me, I would say the w60 is more laid back compared to se846, and much better than the w4r. Mainly no more veil/warm sound in the mids, and the non existent bass impact. Even the much cheaper ATH IM50 sounds better than the w4r to my ears, but they're very uncomfortable.
One thing I'm sure off is that the westone/shure thin nozzle iems are definitely more comfortable and isolate more for me than the large nozzle iems like ie8, gr07be and others.
Personally I never got used to my silicon customs, ichy and hurts after a few hours, I can't imagine the plastic housing will be better. All I can say is you have to be pretty lucky and get the perfect fit the first time, otherwise it's weeks-months of waiting and postage fees.
Edited by milford30 - 11/10/14 at 9:48amReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Amp/DAC choice issues for the Sennheiser HD 650 2 minutes ago
- › Official Free FLAC File Music Sharing Thread 2 minutes ago
- › McIntosh MHP1000 Headphones Announced in CES 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Strange Pizza Toppings 5 minutes ago
- › Soundblaster E1 and Sennheiser G4ME Zero 6 minutes ago
- › AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!! 8 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 12 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 13 minutes ago
- › The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-1000 by screwedpeep
- › Sony BDPS500 Bravia Theater Sync Blu-ray Player by Joong
- › Audio Technica Sonic Fuel ATH-CKX9iS In-ear Headphones with In-line... by BenKatz
- › Asus Xonar DGX by TsukiNick
- › Edifier S730 by Croozer
- › Velodyne vPulse In-Ear Headphones (Classic Black) by spinnin
- › QLS QA360 Portable HiFi Lossless Music Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by psblend
- › Meier Audio Corda Classic by longbowbbs
- › Klipsch Image S4i II Black In-Ear Headphones with Microphone by laurentiusjan
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)