Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?) - Page 354

post #5296 of 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukalop View Post

I have been searching for quite a while now. Does anyone know of an IEM with better bang for buck than the Westone 4R, just so you know. This will be my first entry level IEM to BAs.

I read earlier on in the thread someone preferred the 4R to the JH13 o.O.
Seems to me around this price range is where the law of diminishing returns really kicks in and although there is no sonic improvement it is just a matter of preference to different sound signatures, am I right in thinking this?

Other than the 4R, what other IEMs would you recommend bearing in mind my headphone inventory (sub 50)?

 

the guy who prefers w4r to jh13 probably just likes the westone warm sound, jh13 are significantly better technically.

 

As for other iems I suggest looking into the ATH im series thread, the series has a brighter signature, and in my opinion (someone that prefer a brighter sound to the warm/smooth westone sound) the im50 competes with the w4r, better highs, and significantly better bass. W4r has more details and smooth vocals. The problem with the ATH im series is that they are quiet big.

post #5297 of 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

Does not exist.  From that level you can only purchase something that might be slightly better and it would all be relative to your tastes.

I still prefer W4R to the JH13 I had.

Could you enlighten me as to why?
post #5298 of 5325

I have the JH16FP and a custom pair of W4R's - I like them both, but they are different - the 16 has dynamics that the 4 can't approach - but with classical and acoustic music, sometimes I prefer the W4R - it doesn't let the bass get in the way - I could EQ the bass down and the JH16 would be more accurate and revealing, but I don't like to EQ - and I really don't like to use the EQ on my DX90. I imagine if the member who liked his W4R more than his 13 (unsure if it was FP - and that makes a substantial difference) likes the warmish nature of the Westone house sound - it is a very smooth can.

post #5299 of 5325

In comparison to the W4R, after having listened to it for a month (which I plan on doing), if I upgrade to the JH13 will I find it harsh & sibilant (which I do now). I want to buy something that is on the brighter side because this typically equates to more detail? And apparently soundstage? Which are my favourite areas.

post #5300 of 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukalop View Post


Could you enlighten me as to why?

JH13 has freakish detail, speed and transparency.  Blows everything else away in my sig by a good margin in those areas.  It is on the bright side but not really harsh or siblant.  IMHO, while it had a presence of sub or low bass, I thought it lacked mid bass.  I mean really lacked it where the sound was a bit cold, sterile and clinical.  And, yes, these are preference things.

 

I think W40 also has very very good speed, detail and transparency.  Perhaps not to the degree of JH13 but certainly good enough for me.  W40 DOES have more mid bass presence which does a couple things.  It makes vocals and midrange more warm and lush sounding and I prefer the overall bass which as a whole seems more detailed and layered...I believe is done a little better than JH13.  Certainly JH13 treble is phennomenal.  From memory, I think soundstage would be similar between the two.  W40 certainly better for long listening sessions.

post #5301 of 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
 

JH13 has freakish detail, speed and transparency.  Blows everything else away in my sig by a good margin in those areas.  It is on the bright side but not really harsh or siblant.  IMHO, while it had a presence of sub or low bass, I thought it lacked mid bass.  I mean really lacked it where the sound was a bit cold, sterile and clinical.  And, yes, these are preference things.

 

I think W40 also has very very good speed, detail and transparency.  Perhaps not to the degree of JH13 but certainly good enough for me.  W40 DOES have more mid bass presence which does a couple things.  It makes vocals and midrange more warm and lush sounding and I prefer the overall bass which as a whole seems more detailed and layered...I believe is done a little better than JH13.  Certainly JH13 treble is phennomenal.  From memory, I think soundstage would be similar between the two.  W40 certainly better for long listening sessions.

 

Since you have quite a bit of experience, I'd like to ask you something. I am not keen on the idea of gradually upgrading my headphones as many others do including yourself, in order to 'appreciate' the sound. If you could start your journey all over again would you do it all the same. What would you change?

post #5302 of 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukalop View Post
 

 

Since you have quite a bit of experience, I'd like to ask you something. I am not keen on the idea of gradually upgrading my headphones as many others do including yourself, in order to 'appreciate' the sound. If you could start your journey all over again would you do it all the same. What would you change?

 

You can skip the upgrade process if you're absolutely sure what you want, the top end iems are technically similar with different flavours. My experience is that I got a few mid tier iems, then jumped to a custom thinking I knew what I wanted, now they sit in the box. Everything was there but they add flavour, I thought I wanted details, well I was wrong, needed some colouring to make the sound more exciting and alive. So find out which flavour you want and then look at high end, details and neutrality isn't for everyone.

post #5303 of 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukalop View Post
 

 

Since you have quite a bit of experience, I'd like to ask you something. I am not keen on the idea of gradually upgrading my headphones as many others do including yourself, in order to 'appreciate' the sound. If you could start your journey all over again would you do it all the same. What would you change?

Its not going to be the same for everyone.  A lot has to do with discretionary income.  Personally, I enjoyed the ride.  Each time I received a new shipment of new IEM's it was like Christmas morning.  If I had one regret it was that I DID waste some money re-buying several IEM's.  This almost made me think I needed to have 3-4 different ones.

 

But I am done for now.  I am completely happy with W40 which I have had for about 4 months now.  It does everything I want with every kind of music.  My next purchase will be SE846 but it is just not in the budget now.  Hopefully sometime this year.

 

Having said all that...the JH5 was the best $400 I ever spent on audio.  They sound excellent, they have been real workhorses for almost 4 years now and the custom fit is such a bonus.  Gotta be the best 2-driver IEM on the planet.  I have NEVER read even one negative comment on JH5....and trust me..I have searched about every review possible before and after I bought them.  It rivals most 3 and 4 driver universals.


Edited by Spyro - 5/25/14 at 3:53pm
post #5304 of 5325
You prefer JH5 over JH13?
post #5305 of 5325

On the surface, yes, absolutely.  JH5 is the poorman's JH16.  Had them both at the same time.  And had JH13 and JH5 at the same time too.

 

Don't get me wrong, JH13 is technically superior but JH5 is a better all arounder and will have more pleasurable bass IMHO to the average person.

post #5306 of 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
 

Its not going to be the same for everyone.  A lot has to do with discretionary income.  Personally, I enjoyed the ride.  Each time I received a new shipment of new IEM's it was like Christmas morning.  If I had one regret it was that I DID waste some money re-buying several IEM's.  This almost made me think I needed to have 3-4 different ones.

 

But I am done for now.  I am completely happy with W40 which I have had for about 4 months now.  It does everything I want with every kind of music.  My next purchase will be SE846 but it is just not in the budget now.  Hopefully sometime this year.

 

Having said all that...the JH5 was the best $400 I ever spent on audio.  They sound excellent, they have been real workhorses for almost 4 years now and the custom fit is such a bonus.  Gotta be the best 2-driver IEM on the planet.  I have NEVER read even one negative comment on JH5....and trust me..I have searched about every review possible before and after I bought them.  It rivals most 3 and 4 driver universals.

 

I'd agree honestly. I now own the JH11 and the JH16s, as well as my original JH5s, and the performance you get out of the JH5s for the mere $400 is incredible. And the fact that you can usually get them ~$320 when they have the sale is amazing.

 

Even now sometimes I'll pop them in and enjoy the sound.

 

As for the W4, I wasn't a huge fan, I felt like it had a lot of bloated bass, but to be fair, I didn't listen to it for an extended period of time or let it burn in or anything, maybe it improved, maybe I had a bad seal, who knows, all I know is I didn't enjoy it, and for (roughly) the same price as the JH5s, I know which of the two I'd pick

post #5307 of 5325

Good day!

Do anybody knows about filter in Westone?

Thank you!

post #5308 of 5325
Hai guyz, where i can get w4 standard eartips (whole tips from factory) and is it true the sony hybrid can make sq slightly improve?
Sorry for my engllish ...thanks
post #5309 of 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by The hitman View Post

Hai guyz, where i can get w4 standard eartips (whole tips from factory) and is it true the sony hybrid can make sq slightly improve?
Sorry for my engllish ...thanks


If you are talking about the star/tru fit tips then amazon and earphonesolutions stock them.  Or you could fire westone themselves an email.

 

As for the sony hybrids assuming nothing has changed, you will need the core from an existing tip that fits before being able to use it.

post #5310 of 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post


If you are talking about the star/tru fit tips then amazon and earphonesolutions stock them.  Or you could fire westone themselves an email.

As for the sony hybrids assuming nothing has changed, you will need the core from an existing tip that fits before being able to use it.
Ok, thank you for info...going to try contact westone by an email,
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)