Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?) - Page 349

post #5221 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
 

 

Does not exist.  From that level you can only purchase something that might be slightly better and it would all be relative to your tastes.

 

I still prefer W4R to the JH13 I had.

I bought some used SM64's so I got a decent price on them .....just wanted to try them. They are popular and I will be able to resell them. I am excited to try them. I  sold my UM3X's because I love my W4R's

post #5222 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodweb View Post
 

Well, I'm going for rock, specifically modern rock. 

 

The W4 has less bass than the VC? What about soundstage, instrument separation, imaging, clarity? I suppose W4 do it all better, just not sure about clarity as some say it is veiled.


Yes, Westone 4 has the upper hand in most areas you mentioned, but like you said it's a matter if you can accept the slight veil, if you're not bothered by that W4 is superior, maybe not in absolute leaps and bounds as the price difference suggest (imo). Bass is a little thicker on Westone 4, has better texture.

I think if I had to choose one again I'd take.Westone 4, it's rather unique sounding.

post #5223 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 


Yes, Westone 4 has the upper hand in most areas you mentioned, but like you said it's a matter if you can accept the slight veil, if you're not bothered by that W4 is superior, maybe not in absolute leaps and bounds as the price difference suggest (imo). Bass is a little thicker on Westone 4, has better texture.

I think if I had to choose one again I'd take.Westone 4, it's rather unique sounding.

Don't you know any other alternative to recommend me? I mean, a "better VC1000" but without too much bass like the DN-1000 nor veiled as the W4.

post #5224 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodweb View Post
 

Don't you know any other alternative to recommend me? I mean, a "better VC1000" but without too much bass like the DN-1000 nor veiled as the W4.


I was going to recommend DN-1000. :D

Have you considered doing some research on Etymotic ER4S? They're like a VC1000 on steroids.

post #5225 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 


I was going to recommend DN-1000. :D

Have you considered doing some research on Etymotic ER4S? They're like a VC1000 on steroids.

Yeah, you and a few other guys recommended them before :P I like it very much, but not that much with rock, mostly the fast ones.

 

I did, but I suppose it is more analytical than the R-50, which is the reason I don't use it anymore and bought the VC1000 (but mine was defective so I don't have it now). The R-50 is fatiguing to me on medium to high volume because of the treble.

 

I like the smooth non-fatiguing top-end of the VC1000 as well as the DN-1000's.

post #5226 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodweb View Post
 

Yeah, you and a few other guys recommended them before :P I like it very much, but not that much with rock, mostly the fast ones.

 

I did, but I suppose it is more analytical than the R-50, which is the reason I don't use it anymore and bought the VC1000 (but mine was defective so I don't have it now). The R-50 is fatiguing to me on medium to high volume because of the treble.

 

I like the smooth non-fatiguing top-end of the VC1000 as well as the DN-1000's.


I don't have any other options sorry, not without just rambling and derailing the thread.

If it's rock you want to execute I have not heard better guitar grind and drum presentation than Vsonic GR07 MK2, though it might have a little to much bass coming from R-50 and VC1000 and sounds slightly warmer like Westone 4.  If all fails I would head over to jokers thread, he usually has some pretty handy recommendations and has heard far far more than myself. 

post #5227 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 


I don't have any other options sorry, not without just rambling and derailing the thread.

If it's rock you want to execute I have not heard better guitar grind and drum presentation than Vsonic GR07 MK2, though it might have a little to much bass coming from R-50 and VC1000 and sounds slightly warmer like Westone 4.  If all fails I would head over to jokers thread, he usually has some pretty handy recommendations and has heard far far more than myself. 

Yeah, sure.

 

And in the worst scenario I can always go back to the VC1000.

 

Thank you very much ;)

post #5228 of 5326
Hi guys just a noob question to change the tips I just pull out the tip?
post #5229 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by zting View Post

Hi guys just a noob question to change the tips I just pull out the tip?


Kind of pinch the end of the tip between two fingers, then pull and turn in one direction.

post #5230 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandasaputra View Post

Agree. Once I have W4 on my ears, I will not take that off biggrin.gif . The sound is very addictive although it takes some time to get used to since I used to be a bass-head. I consider W4 as a delicacy and have to use it sparingly, afraid that if I use too much the cable might get stiff due to oil / sweat, eventho I don't sweat much. 

+1
post #5231 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodweb View Post

Yeah, sure.

And in the worst scenario I can always go back to the VC1000.

Thank you very much wink.gif
If you can use a 75 ohm adapter with w4r, it will take away those veils. W4r holds an upper hand in term of imagine and instrumental separation in comparison of er4s. Sound that comes from each w4r's earpiece, match together so better than er4s. W4r bulilds a great room in your head, and settles each one of the musicians in a specific place around you.
But in term of note quality, I dont recognize any difference between the two.
post #5232 of 5326
Let it be noted the "veil" is very slight. Less than 1/2 the veil that you'd hear on a TF10. The veil doesn't harm anything in terms of transparency as W4 is much more transparent than W2, W3 or UM3X.

To me, general comparisons to ER4 are laughable. Like comparing a Honda Civic SI to a Mustang Shelby GT.
Edited by Spyro - 2/25/14 at 5:32pm
post #5233 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart banger-97 View Post

If you can use a 75 ohm adapter with w4r, it will take away those veils.

Thanks for the tip! smily_headphones1.gif


How much should I pay for a used W4r?
post #5234 of 5326
Less than 6 months old....$240-280 range I would say.
post #5235 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

Let it be noted the "veil" is very slight. Less than 1/2 the veil that you'd hear on a TF10. The veil doesn't harm anything in terms of transparency as W4 is much more transparent than W2, W3 or UM3X.

To me, general comparisons to ER4 are laughable. Like comparing a Honda Civic SI to a Mustang Shelby GT.

 

When using a good DAC amp I don't notice much of any veil in the W4, but the iPhone 5s headphone out isn't going to help.  Using an HM-901, HiFi-M8, or even V-MODA Versa Vamp brings out their best.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)