Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?) - Page 336

post #5026 of 5326
Gain probably refering to the loudness of the output for instance adding or subtracting the gain would be for like higher impedance iems or headphones...balance could mean the balance between left and right? Like crosfeed maybe....someone with more knowledge chime in
post #5027 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooses9 View Post

Gain probably refering to the loudness of the output for instance adding or subtracting the gain would be for like higher impedance iems or headphones...balance could mean the balance between left and right? Like crosfeed maybe....someone with more knowledge chime in

 

Yes, apparently there is a 'Low' or 'High' Gain setting. Basically I needed to increase the volume higher if the setting was on low, whereas if it was on high, I would need to lower the volume to attain a comfortable listening volume. Have no idea whatsoever why this setting exists really, just appears to be a volume threshold option.

 

Other than that, I'm trying to justify the claimed superiority of the Fiio X3 over my iPod Video 5G. I suspect they both produce a similar sound signature because both contain a Wolfson chip. Was actually hoping to be blown away by the product to be honest, much to my dismay...

post #5028 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Seraphic View Post
 

 

Yes, apparently there is a 'Low' or 'High' Gain setting. Basically I needed to increase the volume higher if the setting was on low, whereas if it was on high, I would need to lower the volume to attain a comfortable listening volume. Have no idea whatsoever why this setting exists really, just appears to be a volume threshold option.

 

Other than that, I'm trying to justify the claimed superiority of the Fiio X3 over my iPod Video 5G. I suspect they both produce a similar sound signature because both contain a Wolfson chip. Was actually hoping to be blown away by the product to be honest, much to my dismay...

I enjoy the sq of my X3. One of the biggest benefits is to have a DAP as well as a DAC. As far as being blown away by the sound, I would assume it depends what you re coming from. I also questioned the gain, I think it has to do with driving higher impedance iem's.

post #5029 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by subguy812 View Post
 

I enjoy the sq of my X3. One of the biggest benefits is to have a DAP as well as a DAC. As far as being blown away by the sound, I would assume it depends what you re coming from. I also questioned the gain, I think it has to do with driving higher impedance iem's.

 

I have it set on High with my W4Rs, although having it on Low doesn't really make much of a difference; I just set it to the desired volume I am comfortable with. Otherwise, the weight, aesthetics and bright screen of the X3 is growing immensely to my liking compared to the iPod 5G.

post #5030 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Seraphic View Post
 

 

I have it set on High with my W4Rs, although having it on Low doesn't really make much of a difference; I just set it to the desired volume I am comfortable with. Otherwise, the weight, aesthetics and bright screen of the X3 is growing immensely to my liking compared to the iPod 5G.

but thats crazy u cant disern any differences in SQ between the ipod and x3.

post #5031 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooses9 View Post
 

but thats crazy u cant disern any differences in SQ between the ipod and x3.

 

I am A-B-ing them once again, and I must correct my comments before. The X3 sounds clearer, with a darker bass response. The iPod 5G sounded a little tinny, a little weak (the prime reason why I wanted a more powerful DAP to run the W4s). Both iPod and X3, however, sound fairly warm when paired with the W4Rs. I suspect I was unable to immediately discern the difference because they both sounded quite laidback.

 

Right now, I've tweaked the Treble and Bass settings on the X3 to attain the sound signature I was seeking. I understand why many members say that the X3 is synergistic with the W4; the warmth of the X3 and neutrality of the W4 do complement each other quite well.

 

Edit: I revisited my UM2 and realized what I was looking for; a SQ with the bass of the UM2 with the mid/treble of the W4. Oh what fun with Westone products.


Edited by L'Seraphic - 11/11/13 at 9:56am
post #5032 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Seraphic View Post
 

 

I am A-B-ing them once again, and I must correct my comments before. The X3 sounds clearer, with a darker bass response. The iPod 5G sounded a little tinny, a little weak (the prime reason why I wanted a more powerful DAP to run the W4s). Both iPod and X3, however, sound fairly warm when paired with the W4Rs. I suspect I was unable to immediately discern the difference because they both sounded quite laidback.

 

Right now, I've tweaked the Treble and Bass settings on the X3 to attain the sound signature I was seeking. I understand why many members say that the X3 is synergistic with the W4; the warmth of the X3 and neutrality of the W4 do complement each other quite well.

 

Edit: I revisited my UM2 and realized what I was looking for; a SQ with the bass of the UM2 with the mid/treble of the W4. Oh what fun with Westone products.

I am not the one to question how someone else hears the X3#...but it sounds awesome to me. Full, nice bass response and pairs so well with my W4

post #5033 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by subguy812 View Post
 

I am not the one to question how someone else hears the X3#...but it sounds awesome to me. Full, nice bass response and pairs so well with my W4

 

Yes, I agree.

 

I'll probably conclude by saying my initial disappointment in the X3 was because I didn't feel that it was a drastic improvement from my former setup; both sources produced quite a warm signature. I was expecting a leap in SQ, analogous to that of the UM1 to UM3X for example

 

Nonetheless, the X3 is indeed a proficient and aesthetically pleasing device.

post #5034 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Seraphic View Post
 

 

Yes, I agree.

 

I'll probably conclude by saying my initial disappointment in the X3 was because I didn't feel that it was a drastic improvement from my former setup; both sources produced quite a warm signature. I was expecting a leap in SQ, analogous to that of the UM1 to UM3X for example

 

Nonetheless, the X3 is indeed a proficient and aesthetically pleasing device.

 

The biggest difference always comes from headphones. The DAP is just for that little extra.

post #5035 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Seraphic View Post
 

 

I am A-B-ing them once again, and I must correct my comments before. The X3 sounds clearer, with a darker bass response. The iPod 5G sounded a little tinny, a little weak (the prime reason why I wanted a more powerful DAP to run the W4s). Both iPod and X3, however, sound fairly warm when paired with the W4Rs. I suspect I was unable to immediately discern the difference because they both sounded quite laidback.

 

Right now, I've tweaked the Treble and Bass settings on the X3 to attain the sound signature I was seeking. I understand why many members say that the X3 is synergistic with the W4; the warmth of the X3 and neutrality of the W4 do complement each other quite well.

 

Edit: I revisited my UM2 and realized what I was looking for; a SQ with the bass of the UM2 with the mid/treble of the W4. Oh what fun with Westone products.

i see. so there seems to be something to be had from you upgrading daps

post #5036 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooses9 View Post
 

i see. so there seems to be something to be had from you upgrading daps

yeah, think of a DAP in terms of being a DAC. 

post #5037 of 5326
For me it was a drastic improvement because I was able to drive 24bit tracks. You should try the free pack sample from HDtrack on your X3 and you'll see how it worth the price.
post #5038 of 5326

I don't have any portable audio needs. Even when I was walking to and from my apartment to class in college I wouldn't use my earphones. I feel safer being able to hear my surroundings. I do wish I could get higher quality source files tho – ALAC from CD rips is the best I can do. So, 16 bit. I'd like to put my Gungnir to further use with higher quality files... but hey, I can't complain with the sound I get now. It's pretty damn good.


Edited by TK277 - 11/11/13 at 5:37pm
post #5039 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK277 View Post

yeah, think of a DAP in terms of being a DAC. 

True but I cant think of a dap that has a better dac than a external dac,even the ak120 its a great dap but a great paired amp and dac externally couldbe better than what it has to offer...it comes down to portability but it doesnt really come down to soundquality as I think there is still room for Improvement on a single dap setup.
post #5040 of 5326

Is it possible to wire the 4r fort a balanced configuration?  If so are there any benefits?  I have a Cypher Labs Theorem on the way and the curiousity is killing me.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)