Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?) - Page 317

post #4741 of 5325

Fixed my HPL audio cable :D

post #4742 of 5325
Nice looking cable. What did. You do to it.
post #4743 of 5325

I had to replace the connectors where they connect to the Westone 4's. One was bad so I had to cut them both so they would match still.

This is the picture of the cable from the classified before I bought it and the IEMs. It used to have the UE connectors, and I replaced those with some clears from Lunashops, put some heatshrink over a straightened paper clip so I could form the ends, and stole some of my girlfriends blue and red nail polish to label the left and right channels.


Edited by cCasper TFG - 10/2/13 at 2:27pm
post #4744 of 5325
Considering the current prices of the W4R's, I'm tempted to pick up a pair. But currently I'm using a Rockbox'd Sansa Clip+ as my DAP, but I could also use my Galaxy S4. I'm really not looking into getting a portable amp/dac for now, and I doubt I will want to spend much money on them either (i.e. a fio e11 would be ideal if I HAD to get an amp).

Under these circumstances am I better off getting some RE-400s instead?
post #4745 of 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Signals View Post

Considering the current prices of the W4R's, I'm tempted to pick up a pair. But currently I'm using a Rockbox'd Sansa Clip+ as my DAP, but I could also use my Galaxy S4. I'm really not looking into getting a portable amp/dac for now, and I doubt I will want to spend much money on them either (i.e. a fio e11 would be ideal if I HAD to get an amp).

Under these circumstances am I better off getting some RE-400s instead?
You don't need one, lol. (Amp)
post #4746 of 5325

Although I have not heard the RE-400, I will confidently say: No, you are not better off. The W4R are a steal at the current price.

They are all around the best IEMs I have personally ever heard...and they are even better with added resistance.

 

The W4R sound fantastic just out of my iPhone. No special amping needed as far as I am concerned.

post #4747 of 5325
So no amp needed with W4R when using it with iPhone.. What about through a laptop? Would getting a DAC make a noticeable difference? I have a thinkpad and I assume my sound card sucks. Thanks in advance
post #4748 of 5325
No amp is REQUIRED but they definitely sound better amped.
post #4749 of 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Signals View Post

Considering the current prices of the W4R's, I'm tempted to pick up a pair. But currently I'm using a Rockbox'd Sansa Clip+ as my DAP, but I could also use my Galaxy S4. I'm really not looking into getting a portable amp/dac for now, and I doubt I will want to spend much money on them either (i.e. a fio e11 would be ideal if I HAD to get an amp).

Under these circumstances am I better off getting some RE-400s instead?

 

No!  I have both, and although the RE400 is a great little iem for the price, the Westone offers better clarity across the spectrum.  And I use it amped and un-amped.

post #4750 of 5325

I just picked up a set of Westone W4Rs and love everything about them... except the tips - I can't find any that fit well.  The smalls (either foam or star) don't seal in my ear and the mediums seal and sound excellent but within 30 minutes are obviously too large.  Any suggestions on tips to buy that might seal and still be wearable for an extended period?

post #4751 of 5325
Are you looking for a deeper insertion into the canal. Or over all just a better seal.

I kind the e2c shure tips to be nice. Some find them too rigid they arent made of the medical grade silicone like the star tips.

You can try the shure olive tips which are a foam based tip.

You might try the comply p series tip. But I personally dont like them because they mess with the mids and high too much.others love them I never could find the love for them.

You could also try the comply tips that are shorter they have less insertion depth but again plays with the sound too much for me.

You can try the proguard earportz they arent cheap I personally love them and use nothing else. But others have tried them ans didnt find them to be as great as I find them to be.

Its really hit or miss. You really have to try the tips for yourself what one persons go to tip might be someone else worse tip ever. Either you love a tip or hate a tip and like I said you have to test them out more or less to find what really works for you.

What I will do is agree the star and trufit tips completely suck they really have no ergonomic fit to the ear canal. The tip opening is too small which I feel messes with the soundstage. They were a big disappointment for me much like they are for you.

There are tips out there you just have to buy them and try and see what works for you.

You have to rely decide weather or not you are a silicone guy or a foam guy. Then buy accordingly. Just my opinion

Im a silicone guy I try foam but never stick with it. Find too many issues not fit wise but sound wise to really love them.
post #4752 of 5325

I bought two W4R from the same place and one of the W4R vault case is orange and the other one is black.  Is the one with Orange case a genuine Westone?

post #4753 of 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by double07 View Post

I bought two W4R from the same place and one of the W4R vault case is orange and the other one is black.  Is the one with Orange case a genuine Westone?

Yes. They've been known to come with black or orange.
post #4754 of 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by balor1eye View Post
 

I just picked up a set of Westone W4Rs and love everything about them... except the tips - I can't find any that fit well.  The smalls (either foam or star) don't seal in my ear and the mediums seal and sound excellent but within 30 minutes are obviously too large.  Any suggestions on tips to buy that might seal and still be wearable for an extended period?

Get some custom tips done, then you need never worry about replacing them :)

post #4755 of 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post

Get some custom tips done, then you need never worry about replacing them smily_headphones1.gif

Ive read about people complaining about the um56 collapsing the soundstage and not improving upon the sound.

Ive been thinking of custom tips but if Its not going to farther improve on the sound I dont think it would be worth it.

Of course other ppl might not have those issues with custom tips. Just putting that out there.

They are pretty expensive too considering you would need molds then um56 are like 130-150 depending on the silicone or acrylic.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)