Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?) - Page 303

post #4531 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfie View Post

If I bend them in the right direct or bend the cables around the area a little bit, they work again. It's from yanking them around so much when I'm exercising. The wires somehow manage to get caught on something. I don't think sweat is contributing at all to the cable wear.

When I'm lifting weights I have the cable behind me on my back instead of in front of me to prevent wear and tear on it, it depends on the movement I will make with that exercise. I also do not think that sweat contributes that much to cable wear, what happened was that while I was running, a drop of sweat went into my ear and I immediately lost sound from one side. I tried switching cables to the opposite monitor (blue to right and red to left) and I found out it was the monitor itself that caused the problem. I do have an extra cable laying around here just in case..

Also, I think I'm spoiled with my 4R's to go something else while im exercising frown.gif
Edited by Xcellent - 9/1/13 at 3:39am
post #4532 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfie View Post

If I bend them in the right direct or bend the cables around the area a little bit, they work again. It's from yanking them around so much when I'm exercising. The wires somehow manage to get caught on something. I don't think sweat is contributing at all to the cable wear.
I won't use my w4r's to workout with but use my um2's and I put them down the back of my shirt that way they don't get caught on anything and don't get in the way. They are very comfy that way too smily_headphones1.gif
post #4533 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK277 View Post

Typically, I only change the tips when I see a tear. Sometimes I change them when they get so worn out that they are too soft and don't seal anymore...but they usually tear before that happens.

 

I gently remove any wax on them after use. I try to use them in cool environments so I'm not sweating as much. I avoid jamming them in my ear canals as much as possible. Sometimes I have to fiddle with them to get the fit, but the more I do that, the quicker I notice the tips will wear out.

 

Unfortunately, more than any factor, I think the amount of hours they are used determine how long they last. In school I listened for 4+ hours in a row, easy, after class while working away on projects. That is when I changed them more often, every 3 to 4 weeks. Nowadays I don't do as much long-term listening. Office life relies on being more proficient at everything and definitely relies more on communication. My listening remains largely at home now, and I'd say I listen for maybe 2 hours every other day. So, shorter sessions mean less moisture and a generally longer life.

 

 

eager to hear your opinions and impressions on the earportz.

post #4534 of 5326
Is $368 in the US the cheapest you can get them for? They went down to $325 a couple weeks back, I so regret not getting a pair.

Edit: forgot to mention, the 4Rs not the 4.
Edited by Wiisp - 9/1/13 at 8:57am
post #4535 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiisp View Post

Is $368 in the US the cheapest you can get them for? They went down to $325 a couple weeks back, I so regret not getting a pair.

Edit: forgot to mention, the 4Rs not the 4.

if New that is a pretty good deal on the R's thats about around where some ppl are selling pairs used. really depends on when the prices fluctuate.

post #4536 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiisp View Post

Is $368 in the US the cheapest you can get them for? They went down to $325 a couple weeks back, I so regret not getting a pair.

Edit: forgot to mention, the 4Rs not the 4.

 

Is it an authorized dealer though?  I see you are registered a uk user so might be worth keeping an eye on both iheadphones and advancedmp3players.  Iheadphones for aages had a "B" stock box (had stuff from there registered b, box was a little battered but nothing unusual, item was new)for £329 and advancedmp3 had them new for awhile for around £359 (going as low as £340).

post #4537 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post

 

Is it an authorized dealer though?  I see you are registered a uk user so might be worth keeping an eye on both iheadphones and advancedmp3players.  Iheadphones for aages had a "B" stock box (had stuff from there registered b, box was a little battered but nothing unusual, item was new)for £329 and advancedmp3 had them new for awhile for around £359 (going as low as £340).

I'm trying to get them New <=£250, which is about $390.... I can dream right?

post #4538 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman46 View Post


I won't use my w4r's to workout with but use my um2's and I put them down the back of my shirt that way they don't get caught on anything and don't get in the way. They are very comfy that way too smily_headphones1.gif

 

Like Xcellent, I'm too spoiled to switch to another IEM. What's funny is that I was working out last week and someone asked if he could join on overhead press. After a while, he got curious about my W4R's. He was looking for IEM's to workout with, and then I explained to him that I went through a bunch of wires with mine. I probably should have recommended something else to him, though.

post #4539 of 5326

I have sensitive ears, especially to treble, sibilance etc. I was drawn to the Westone 4R due to the description that it's very balanced and yet with a lot of detail. I made the jump from full headphones to IEM's recently. My first IEM was the SE-215 (Shure). I was really considering getting the SE-535, but then I decided to try the Westone 4R as well.  I have the Audeze LCD-2 and HD-650, but I prefer the sound of IEMs more (especially the comfort). 

 

The more I listen to the 4R, the more I'm in love with the sound. I switched to the star tips, and that was what really did the trick for me (it was a better seal for my ears, and the sound opened up a bit more). So happy with these. I don't get the SE-535's until Tuesday. I'm curious to hear what they sound like in comparison. Honestly though, I don't plan on selling these 4R's. 

EDIT: I bought two IEM's just to try them out, and see which one I liked more. I had never heard Westone before, and already owned a Shure. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullbox View Post


Welcome in W4 arena! Hope youl enjoye you new monitor! ... Why are you buy two different IEM? Is it all for you? or using for some test on them?

 

Agred, W4 have lots of details in it, it sound very musical to me. Like the Audeze, W4 are aw audiophile monitor!

 

biggrin.gif  thinking to upgrade next year to a next level! CIEM


Edited by satanigatan - 9/1/13 at 4:41pm
post #4540 of 5326

Is there a recommended cable upgrade for the 4R? I don't really want to spend more than $150. Although I will if there is really an improvement in sound. I actually really like the stock cables though.

post #4541 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanigatan View Post

Is there a recommended cable upgrade for the 4R? I don't really want to spend more than $150. Although I will if there is really an improvement in sound. I actually really like the stock cables though.

 

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-RC-WT1-re-cable-Westone-Earphones/dp/B00D6DOYEQ

post #4542 of 5326

I was actually looking at this!.

 

The only thing is, these don't have the bendable parts at the top (to wrap around your ear). Do you guys generally like cables without that? I'm coming from Shure IEM's where that is the design, so I'm kind of used to it. I guess I should just try my R4 without doing that (and just putting them straight in without the ear piece). If it fits well, I'll definitely look into these. 

post #4543 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanigatan View Post

I was actually looking at this!.

 

The only thing is, these don't have the bendable parts at the top (to wrap around your ear). Do you guys generally like cables without that? I'm coming from Shure IEM's where that is the design, so I'm kind of used to it. I guess I should just try my R4 without doing that (and just putting them straight in without the ear piece). If it fits well, I'll definitely look into these. 

I switched from the W4 to the 4R because I wanted to have the full warranty on these and can say I much rather prefer not having that annoying plastic.

 

I don't need them right away but I might just buy them and keep them as a backup for when the stock ones go dead...

post #4544 of 5326

I'll try them out tonight without wrapping around my ear. One thing I love about the 4R is they fit really nice in my ears. I always had trouble with the Shure IEMs fitting in my ear, and when I did, they were get irritated after 40 minutes. These star tips + the smaller size of the 4R makes for a perfect fit. I forget they are even in!  I wouldn't be surprised if these fit better without wrapping around the ears. I'll try when I get back. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

I switched from the W4 to the 4R because I wanted to have the full warranty on these and can say I much rather prefer not having that annoying plastic.

 

I don't need them right away but I might just buy them and keep them as a backup for when the stock ones go dead...

post #4545 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanigatan View Post

I'll try them out tonight without wrapping around my ear. One thing I love about the 4R is they fit really nice in my ears. I always had trouble with the Shure IEMs fitting in my ear, and when I did, they were get irritated after 40 minutes. These star tips + the smaller size of the 4R makes for a perfect fit. I forget they are even in!  I wouldn't be surprised if these fit better without wrapping around the ears. I'll try when I get back. 

I am using these wires actually as a replacement for the regular ones which I keep on messing up. In fact, I'm about to try them out at the gym for the first time in about 30 minutes. Hopefully these will be more durable. The lack of the mold doesn't bother me. You can still wrap it around your ears.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)