Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?) - Page 280

post #4186 of 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post

Have any of you guys searching for tips for the W4 here recently ever tried the EarPortz tips? I'm telling you... you can keep looking through all those generic type tips that all sound very similar, but like something's still missing. Or... you can find the right fitting EarPortz version... and you will not believe the difference. It will make your W4 sound like you had no idea it could sound. Big, warm low end, crystal clear but very smooth high end. Once you get how to insert it properly, and get the right size for your ear canal... you may keep looking for other tips, but you will not find one that sounds even close (that's available now, at least). And you will not be able to go back to those "generic" tips again. The EarPortz are basically like you turned your W4s into some kinda super custom IEM.

 

Or... you can forget I said anything, and keep searching... with the same basic results each time.

 

thats a pretty long/ and weird looking tip.

 

what source equipment are you using

post #4187 of 5325

Was previously using a HiFiMan 602 line out to a Ray Samuels Audio P51 Mustang amp playing FLAC. Now playing FLAC via PowerAmp on a Galaxy Note 2 digital out into a Ray Samuels Predator DAC/amp, into the W4s, through the EarPortz, directly injected onto my eardrums and into my brain. Sonic bliss.

 

ksc75smile.gif

post #4188 of 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooses9 View Post

thats a pretty long/ and weird looking tip.

The EarPortz look huge. But in fact, they're not. While they do go farther into your ear canal than most other tips, they actually run quite a bit smaller. I used to use medium size tips for almost every other type of tip. Had to use the xtra large with EarPortz. So... if you have huge ear canals, you may be out of luck getting a good seal with the largest EarPortz. Unless you do like I saw someone else posted pics of... wrap the EarPortz with the outside of some centered-out foamies.

post #4189 of 5325

Just want to chip in here with my best enhancement to the W4 I could find. I have tried the Earportz, ordered large due to normally using a large tip and I couldn`t get them in. So with that in mind you must order a size down to have a chance. I cannot comment on the sound they produce for the reason above.

 

My best solution is in my sig (adapter link). I thought the small output bore of the grey silicones was the best but once I switched to the wide open bore of the tsx400 then I realised this was where the best sound was. Super crystal clear detail, good seal and punchy enough.

 

Use the following track to test tips for the W4:

Fleetwood Mac - Never Going Back Again

 

The acoustic guitar sounds bang on with the mod compared to the small output tips.

Use Earportz? Again, try it out and see what you think.

 

There may be people that have never heard the Rumours album and if you haven`t, you should. Top drawer.

Stu

post #4190 of 5325

my new ''enhancement'' to my westone....new cable upgrade, chris himself ''flagship'' pure silver cable  With Gold plated oyiade termination. so far great sound quality. im burning in the cable as we speak

 

post #4191 of 5325
Don't hold your lighter too close ;-)
post #4192 of 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post

Have any of you guys searching for tips for the W4 here recently ever tried the EarPortz tips? I'm telling you... you can keep looking through all those generic type tips that all sound very similar, but like something's still missing. Or... you can find the right fitting EarPortz version... and you will not believe the difference. It will make your W4 sound like you had no idea it could sound. Big, warm low end, crystal clear but very smooth high end. Once you get how to insert it properly, and get the right size for your ear canal... you may keep looking for other tips, but you will not find one that sounds even close (that's available now, at least). And you will not be able to go back to those "generic" tips again. The EarPortz are basically like you turned your W4s into some kinda super custom IEM.

 

Or... you can forget I said anything, and keep searching... with the same basic results each time.


Are you employed or Distributor or something? Can you get some discount coupons (like Comply cie.) Is there available or distributed in Canada? Is it fit and feel like de triple-flange tips?

post #4193 of 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinth View Post

I have tried the Earportz, ordered large due to normally using a large tip and I couldn`t get them in. So with that in mind you must order a size down to have a chance. I cannot comment on the sound they produce for the reason above.

 

Stu

Please do not believe that. It is absolutely incorrect. I'm not the first to mention that someone who normally uses large sized ear tips could not get EarPortz large enough to make a good seal. And I can testify to that because I HAVE used them, and still use them exclusively. If you were never able to get them in correctly, how do you know how they fit or are supposed to fit? And they do have smaller EarPortz you could try if you thought the large was too large. Maybe you prefer the way larger ear tips that don't insert as far into your ear canal fit your outer ear canal, but your inner ear canal is actually on the smaller side? I don't know. I do know that what you stated above is absolutely incorrect.

 

Granted, EarPortz may take some time to figure out how they should correctly fit in your ear. The picture in the online order catalog actually has them on the IEM in a way that they really do not work. Normally, they need to be placed on the IEM so that they point slightly rearwards and slightly up, relative to the IEM sitting in your ear. Your ear canal goes in, then slightly back and up normally, I think. Also, the EarPortz are much easier to get in if you moisten the tip a little (however you deem appropriate... you can see F1 drivers demonstrate one way to do it just before they put the rest of their head gear on before climbing in the car), and use the oft mentioned method of placing your opposite arm over your head, and tugging the top of your ear slightly up as you insert it. I've gotten so used to putting 'em in, they just slide right into position in a split second. But since these are "directional"... as in they curve slightly to account for the way your ear canal curves into your head... you do have to be aware of how they're placed on the IEM, how the IEMs sit in your ear, the direction your ear canal runs inside your head, and insert them so that they follow that direction once it's in your ear. Once you know that and practice a little, it's very easy to put these in (with the right size... which is why I would highly recommend the kit with multiple sizes to start out with).

 

And let me just say that... these have been absolutely THE single biggest difference in sound I've ever experienced for universal IEMs. You can talk about the minutia of differences in treble response, or a little warmer this, or little brighter that, or the slight bit of difference you hear in high end cables... etc. But these will absolutely make a huge difference in sound when done correctly. Whether you can live with how they insert into your ear, how they feel, if you choose to take the time to know how to get them to work, or even if you may prefer the less "direct", more distant sound of conventional ear tips... is all up to your individual preferences. But from someone who did learn how to use them, is still using them, and has tried many ear tips, and still continues to try any new ones that crop up... EarPortz are just about THE most inexpensive way to make one of THE biggest improvements in the sound of good to great universal IEMs there is. I have yet to find a universal ear tip that competes.

 

Okay... that's it. Done with the soap box. The rest is up to you if you choose to figure 'em out.

post #4194 of 5325

...and no, I'm not employed by anyone or work for anything remotely associated with IEMs, ear tips, or EarPortz. I'm just a user that watches this forum from time to time, and watches the endless quest for ear tips, the majority of which make very little change to the very distant sound they offer for universal IEMs, relative to what EarPortz can do for them. It's a little hard to just sit back and 'watch' people be so serious about finding the proper ear tip to further their quest for of the holy grail of sound, when I know how little most ear tips do comparatively.

 

So... sorry... I have no coupons to offer. biggrin.gif

post #4195 of 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapple10 View Post

Describing what I hear is not my strong point , so with that in mind
some songs I am familiar with - bass seems deeper- feel it more and cleaner vocal? more pronounced and I think I heard few more beats in some of Keb Mo's or maybe not
Ok, I am definitely liking my W4 more
Since the tip changing worked so well for W4, was trying it with TZAr 350 but am afraid our journey is coming to an end, no luck , not even with the intruder
The other RSA amp I have is the Shadow but the intruder is really impressive


How do you like your Shadow amp.? is It drive well your w4? Is the Predator better match for w4? The Intruder is better, but not for me right now, it will squize my wallet! lol

post #4196 of 5325

Shadow drives it fine, most of the time I use the Shadow with my nano so that might play a part in the sound

Never tried  predator with W4 but Intruder I prefer. But remember Intruder is made to drive the hardest  cans while Shadow, if I remember correctly,  was made for IEMs

 

If you have a Shadow, you will enjoy it as long as you are not comparing it , side by side to something like Intruder


Edited by snapple10 - 6/25/13 at 3:29pm
post #4197 of 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinth View Post

Just want to chip in here with my best enhancement to the W4 I could find. I have tried the Earportz, ordered large due to normally using a large tip and I couldn`t get them in. So with that in mind you must order a size down to have a chance. I cannot comment on the sound they produce for the reason above.

 

My best solution is in my sig (adapter link). I thought the small output bore of the grey silicones was the best but once I switched to the wide open bore of the tsx400 then I realised this was where the best sound was. Super crystal clear detail, good seal and punchy enough.

 

Use the following track to test tips for the W4:

Fleetwood Mac - Never Going Back Again

 

The acoustic guitar sounds bang on with the mod compared to the small output tips.

Use Earportz? Again, try it out and see what you think.

 

There may be people that have never heard the Rumours album and if you haven`t, you should. Top drawer.

Stu

 

 

Have Just put my hand on"Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (35th Ann.Deluxe Edit.)" Still waiting for finishing/resume download and I will listen to the track you mention!

 

Tell me about the pict in your sig adaptor, the shure olive tip. You talking about tip mod, Comply Tsx400 tips + stem, from any silicone tips! Why is the olive here for in the pict if you dont use it?

 

thank!   ;-)

post #4198 of 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooses9 View Post

my new ''enhancement'' to my westone....new cable upgrade, chris himself ''flagship'' pure silver cable  With Gold plated oyiade termination. so far great sound quality. im burning in the cable as we speak

 

Burning the cable, you joking?  lol  etysmile.gif

 

post #4199 of 5325
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapple10 View Post

Shadow drives it fine, most of the time I use the Shadow with my nano so that might play a part in the sound

Never tried  predator with W4 but Intruder I prefer. But remember Intruder is made to drive the hardest  cans while Shadow, if I remember correctly,  was made for IEMs

 

If you have a Shadow, you will enjoy it as long as you are not comparing it , side by side to something like Intruder


No, I dont have the P51-Shadow right now! How you get yours from? RSA directly, online or from distributors? Howmuch you have pay for it? Am from Québec! I will using it only in combo with my iTouch 36G. 

 

wink_face.gif

post #4200 of 5325
Sending you a PM:)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)